Pokémon Venusaur

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dunno if this can work. Just thought about it now:
-Giga Drain
-Synthesis
-Toxic
-Venoshock

Spread Toxic and then destroy oposition with 130 power Venoshock.

Obviously the set is useless against Steel Pokemon, and again we are in a metagame dominated by Steel Pokemon, so Dugtrio and Magneton/Magnezone support as trappers, and Rotom-W and Heatran/Talonflame as checks is appreciated.

Also, some time ago I thought in another set:
-Amnesia
-Curse
-Rest/Synthesis
-Petal Blizzard/Power Whip

Untouchablesaur. That would work as a late sweeper when pseudohazing is impossible.

Dunno if this can work. Just thought about it now:
-Giga Drain
-Synthesis
-Toxic
-Venoshock

Spread Toxic and then destroy oposition with 130 power Venoshock.

Obviously the set is useless against Steel Pokemon, and again we are in a metagame dominated by Steel Pokemon, so Dugtrio and Magneton/Magnezone support as trappers, and Rotom-W and Heatran/Talonflame as checks is appreciated.

Also, some time ago I thought in another set:
-Amnesia
-Curse
-Rest/Synthesis
-Petal Blizzard/Power Whip

Untouchablesaur. That would work as a late sweeper when pseudohazing is impossible.
The Venoshock set looks too gimmicky for my tastes. I dunno how you'd plan to EV that, but its important to note that is you use Sludge Bomb twice, the damage output will usually not be too far behind Toxic followed by Venoshock (depends on damage rolls and EV's.) There are better ways to get damage output on Venusaur that take up fewer moveslots. Plus, If you're gonna use Toxic, why not just Toxic stall them? Venusaur has the tools for it, no doubt.

As for that double-boosting set, it has more potential, but also some notable problems. First, though it's a late-game sweeper, it can't really do anything to a large number of Pokemon. Sap Sipper Goodra is flat-out untouchable, while walls like Skarmory and Blissey can stall you out without a problem. Other late-game mons like Talonflame and Lucario also look pretty threatening to this set.

What influences the decision when deciding between power whip and petal blizzard?
Accuracy over Power. Petal Blizzard has a 100% percent chance to hit, while Power Whip has a shaky 85%. So it's up to you. Naturally a 120 STAB bp will do considerable damage. But if that misses...Well that's where Petal Blizzard would have scored a hit.

What's the fourth slot, then, assuming that we're running:

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll (Thick Fat)
IVs: 252 HP / 252 SpAtk / 4 SpDef
Nature: Modest
- Synthesis
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Other

Would it be better to run HP Fire, HP Ice or EQ?
(The rest of my team is Galvantula/Donphan, Talonflame, Starmie/Greninja, Aegislash and Chansey/Umbreon)

What's the fourth slot, then, assuming that we're running:

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll (Thick Fat)
IVs: 252 HP / 252 SpAtk / 4 SpDef
Nature: Modest
- Synthesis
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Other

Would it be better to run HP Fire, HP Ice or EQ?
(The rest of my team is Galvantula/Donphan, Talonflame, Starmie/Greninja, Aegislash and Chansey/Umbreon)
Earthquake helps against mega lucario, for whom you dont have a switch in really.

HP fire takes on Lucario, Scizor, bisharp and Ferrothorn to name a few. These pokemon switch into venusaur too.

With the new toxic mechanics why nobody uses toxic in this guy?

something like
Venusaur@Venusaurite
Brave/Bold Nature
252 HP 192 def 68 SP def
Toxic
Leech Seed
Sludge Bomb/Venoshock
Earthquake/Giga drain/Sleep Powder/Substitute

Toxic Seed is so freaking annoying, and causes a lot of switches, plus coverage in Sludge Bomb or try the Gimmnick Venoshock. Earthquake for heatran and lucario, giga drain for Stab or sleep powder to be more annoying.. substitue would be to be a (BAN ME PLEASE) with leech seed. I see this the only way venusaur can shine with its mega, if u want to sweep just use Sun+Cloro

With the new toxic mechanics why nobody uses toxic in this guy?

something like
Venusaur@Venusaurite
Brave/Bold Nature
252 HP 192 def 68 SP def
Toxic
Leech Seed
Sludge Bomb/Venoshock
Earthquake/Giga drain/Sleep Powder/Substitute

Toxic Seed is so freaking annoying, and causes a lot of switches, plus coverage in Sludge Bomb or try the Gimmnick Venoshock. Earthquake for heatran and lucario, giga drain for Stab or sleep powder to be more annoying.. substitue would be to be a (BAN ME PLEASE) with leech seed. I see this the only way venusaur can shine with its mega, if u want to sweep just use Sun+Cloro
On top of above:
  • Prankster Whimsicott is a better sub-seeder due to priority.
  • Gliscor/Chansey are better for Toxic stall sets and stall sets are facing a tough time now anyway.
  • This would honestly be a waste of a Mega on your team.

Three reasons:

1) Toxic doesnt affect many of venusaur's hardest counters

2) Leech Seed sucks in general, and sub seeding is worse

3) you slashed 6 moves, which answers your own question
Leech Seed is one of the best support moves in the game. It is almost always found on any defensive Grass-type that learns it, and can be used just as well by offensive Pokemon. On defensive Pokemon, Leech Seed provides additional recovery, sapping the HP of the target. This gives your Pokemon an immediate advantage, which can be passed to other team members for recovery support, similar to Wish passing. Leech Seed is sometimes the only form of recovery a Pokemon uses. Ferrothorn is an excellent example—its relatively low HP ensures a sizable return from the target's HP, and this damage stacks with other residual damage, such as that from Iron Barbs, to deadly effect.

Offensive Pokemon can employ the tried and true SubSeed strategy. This pairs well with good offensive coverage, and makes fast frail Pokemon much harder to deal with. Breloom is one of the most famous SubSeeders, commonly pairing Substitute and Leech Seed with the unique SporePunch combo. This blend of strategies allows Breloom to bypass faster threats, threaten stall, and completely neutralize checks. This is one of the best examples of Leech Seed's utility.
tl;dr: Leech Seed does not suck

Subs seeding is definitely tried but not true at all. So many things couldn't care less about leech seed that you end up just cutting 25% of yur health for no reason then being forced to switch out.

The only way it's effective is if your opponent either doesn't have anything that doesn't care about leech seed or doesn't switch to it. Both are marks of badness and shouldn't be used as a gauge of a strategy's effectiveness.

I gotta say, Thick Fat was probably the best thing ever for Venusaur. I've been using him as mostly a bulky attacker with dual STAB, leech seed, and Synthesis/Sleep Powder if I don't have another sleep inducer. Yes, I am aware that Ferrothorn walls this set completely, but the idea is to use him to both take punishment and dish it out when necessary. He's quite good at his job. He typically doesn't die unless I have to use him to absorb a WOW or a twave because for some reason I get parahaxed a lot. Giga Drain gives him pretty nice staying power and with some Spec. attack EVs, I can get more damage for more health.

2x attack talonflame bravebird says hi to any hopes of switching in.
I don't switch him in on Talonflame. Besides with Rotom-W everywhere I find plenty of switch ins. And Talonflame would rather not eat a Sludge bomb on switch in especially if Stealth rock is up.

I don't switch him in on Talonflame. Besides with Rotom-W everywhere I find plenty of switch ins. And Talonflame would rather not eat a Sludge bomb on switch in especially if Stealth rock is up.
Meant to word it so it stops venusaur from coming in. Any time venusaur can come in, BAM, Talonflame.

Meant to word it so it stops venusaur from coming in. Any time venusaur can come in, BAM, Talonflame.
You seem to be describing a double switch. And if that's the case, the I can say my ttar has words for Talonflame. And if you want to switch again, he still would like to have a word with Talonflame.

I know that the turn you trigger your mega evolution, your move-order is determined by your non-mega speed stat. How does this interact with Chlorophyll? Am I correct in thinking that it's worth breeding that ability onto a Venusaur that you intend to use with Venusaurite?
It does have a niche use in that your speed is doubled the turn you Mega, if sun is up. I've found it useful against Charizard Y, since you can send it in to revenge kill or fire off a fast sleep powder. Sun may not always be up, but Chlorophyll is much more useful than Overgrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)