VGC Venusaur FTW?

Hi guys. First RMT ever.
I used to play singles in 4th gen, but I left pokemon during 5th gen. Now I would like to play VGC, but I am really new to double battles. I started building a VGC ORAS team around Venusaur, just because Bulbasaur is my favorite pokemon ever, and I think Venusaur has very good potential overall.

My team works around setting sun to help Chlorophyll Venusaur.

This is my team currently:

Lead pokes:

Chairo X (Charizard) (F) @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- SolarBeam
- Dragon Pulse
- Protect

Charizard's role is obviously to set the sun going by mega evolving. Protect is there to win a turn before mega evolving if wheater induced pokes come, and for general protection. Solarbeam helps her hit water and rock types hard. It works even better after disrupting their weather. Dragon pulse is for the eventual Dragon type, and for neutral coverage if needed. Of course most of the time she will be spamming Heat Wave for lots of damage, 2HKOing many neutral opponents after STAB and sun.

Shinx (Starmie) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Natural Cure
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic
- Flash Cannon

Starmie helps Charizard by 1 or 2HKO some pokes Charizard has trouble with. Using a scarf, it can outspeed lots of things even with Modest nature. I tried running a Timid nature before to outspeed even more treats, but with modest many 2HKO become 1HKO, while still outspeeding enough pokes. (Sorry if this sounds very vague. I haven't thoroughly checked what do it outspeeds or not. I know I must, but haven't found the time). Bolt-beam helps for coverage. Psychic is there for STAB and for the not-so eventual fighting type, namely Terrakion and Conkeldurr. Water type attacks are not useful because I'll be runing sun most of the time, so Flash Cannon helps hit rock types, helping Charizard a lot, and also hitting fairy types.

Main Party Pokes:

Bul Ikana (Venusaur) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Chlorophyll
Timid Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Sleep Powder
- Protect

The main (and only, really) abuser of the sun. Very straightforward. Sludge Bomb for STAB. Giga Drain for recovery. Sleep powder to sleep a foe before it has the chance to attack. Protect for everything protect is used for. Of course Chlorophyll is the Ability of choice. I am still not sure if I should invest less EVs in speed to make him a little bit bulkier, or if I should go with a Modest Venusaur to hit harder (again, the not-so-sure-what-can-he-outspeed stuff). Leftovers to recover a bit when protecting, specially in late game when sun is over and he must take some hits.

Shock (Garchomp) (M) @ Yache Berry
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Dragon Claw
- Iron Head

Garchomp helps my team a lot covering common checks to Charizard. EQ works great along Charizard, as it hits fire pokes without hitting Charizard, who can Heat Wave after, dealing very large amounts of damage on unprotected opponents. Rock slide hit flying types Starmie couldn't take care with Bolt-beam, and for when I need a spread move without hurting my teammates. Dragon Claw is for great STAB neutral coverage, and for dragons he can outspeed (hence Jolly nature). Iron Head is there for fairy types. Yache berry let him take at least one ice hit without fainting, usually from HP ice users. Rough Skin over Sand veil because sun. It also helps with residual damage to physical users, sometimes killing sturdy or sash users.

Specific scenarios pokes:

Zorrakion (Terrakion) @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
IVs: 26 SpA / 14 SpD / 20 Spe
- Earthquake
- Sacred Sword
- Taunt
- Quick Guard

IVs and nature are what they are because this is the best Terrakion I had the patience to soft reset for. EQ and Sacred Sword are very straightforward, hitting as hard as possible. Its other two attacks are what makes it interesting, making it mostly a support poke for specific scenarios. Taunt is there to avoid trick room and prankster users wreak havoc, which are the two strategies than easily humilliated my team. Quick guard is to stop talonflame, fake-out users, and azumarrills menacing Charizard. Leading with starmie, it can easily check leading talonflames. It also protects Starmie from Sucker Punch (and from Pursuit? not sure about that one).

Birip (Toxicroak) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Thunder Punch

Rain teams usually carry more than one rain setter, and they can take my Charizard out very easilly, which locks me in rain, making my Venusaur and my Garchomp very vulnerable to ice attacks, and my starmie to Thunder. Toxicroak is here for when I detect this strategy while previewing teams. It can switch to predicted water attacks. It heals himself in rain and a bit more due to Black Sludge, so substitute takes very few of his health. Drain punch is there for even more recovery, helped by STAB. Sucker punch is for needed priority, as Speed investment is poor. Thunder Punch is there to hit really hard water types.

So that is my first time ever VGC. Any help will be welcomed. Please be kind with Venusaur. I's the only poke I really do not want to swap.

One thing that I see off the bat at a quick glance is Toxicroak's Dry Skin is incompatible with Drought. (You lose 1/8th HP every turn during sun, which is highly conflicting with Substitute.) Toxicroak also adds a 4x weakness to your team that already has two psychic weaknesses and only one (not bulky at all) resist. Bisharp could fit in this spot, though it would open you up to a Conkeldurr weakness. Food for thought.

I might try this team out later, I'm in history class right now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)