Venomoth (Uber Analysis)

Hi this is my first time to write an analysis and I hope this goes well. It is a Lead Uber Venomoth. I am not entirely sure about Protect at this point but I cannot think of a better option.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/venomoth

<edit>
[Overview]
At first glance, Venomoth may seems a very poor choice in an uber team due to its poor overall stats. However, it can be a very effective lead in uber due to U-turn, which not only allow you to scout but also stop Deoxy-S set up more than one layer, sleep powder, which allow it to cripple opponent lead, and toxic spikes, which allows you to set up on the opponent lead after you put it to sleep.
<edit>

Uber Lead Moth
Venomoth@focus sash
ability: shield dust,
nature:jolly (-SAtk, +Spd)
ev: 252atk/252spd/6SDef

Moves:
-U-turn
-toxic spikes
-sleep powder
-protect (mainly to scout Darkari, there isn't much better option(I think)
I am not sure about this and need suggestion)

Why this set deserves to be on-site:
-U-turn + Priority of your team (Scizor, Raquazza etc) allow you to beat Deoxy-S
-U-turn get stab, together with max Atk investment it rival the power of Mew U-turn despite only 65 Atk. Venomoth's U-turn + Life Orb 100 atk ev Scizor Bullet Punch does a minimum 97.7% on MAX hp Deoxy-S. A stronger priority (Band Scizor or so) gurantee the KO.
-T-spikes allows you to set up two layer on slow lead (Kyogre, Groudon, Dialga).
-Fast/Priority, non lum berry lead (Rayquazza, Deoxy-A, Giratina-O) can be crippled with sleep powder
-Shield dust protect you from Shaymin-S flinch so you can sleep powder it
-Protect can scout what Darkari do. So you can safely switch to a sleep talker without being trick scarf, or switch to a scarfer without being dark voided

Additional Comments:
-Has utility outside of lead if it survives, including sleep and set up T-Spikes (very possible as it has 90+ Speed). And an added bouns to absorb toxic spikes of your opponent.
-Adamant nature can be used instead of jolly, to guarantee to KO 252hp Deoxy-S with U-turn + 100 atk ev Life Orb Scizor Bullet punch, note that this result in losing the chance to speed tide with other base Speed 90s
-Be aware that Sleep powder can miss 25% of the time

Teammates and Counters:
-a sleep talker (Bulk up Dialga, rest talk Kyogre) and Choice Scarfer (Palkia, Garchomp etc) are good teammates to switch into Darkari appropriately
-Giratina-O can help Block rapid Spin
-Some Lum/Chesto Berry lead such as Scizor, Metagross and Tyranitar counter Venomoth. All are physical pokemon. So a Groudon can stop them and also set up Stealth rock.
-Darkari still beat you if it hold focus sash as it can Nasty plot on your protect
-Scizor, Metagross, Tyranitar lead holds lum/Chesto berry to stop sleep powder and has priority/sandstorm to kill you, allowing only one layer max.

firecape

This is the end...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Please format this correctly. There is an annoucement that tells you how to, which you should really read before posting here.

As for the effectiveness of this set... I'm sort of doubtful. It may have a niche, but I really don't see how it has any sort of midgame utility. It has a weakness to Stealth Rock and awful defenses, its not really switching into anything except on a death, in which case there are many other better candidates for a free switch. Why not just use *lol Roserade* who has higher in every stat but a small difference in HP and Defense, which is so small it doesn't really make a difference. Roserade is also not SR weak, has some cool resistances (Water, Electric), and actually has really nice special bulk...

QC rejected 1/3

Sorry firecape, this is the first time I post an analysis and didn't know I need to have the format in QC, I will change it ASAP.

As far as the "lol Roserade" argument go, Venomoth has a way to stop Deoxy-S set up 2 layers (may not be the most ideal way, but still), while Roserade fail to accomplish. Also Shaymin-S can flich Roserade to death, while Venomoth has shield dust protect it and allow it to sleep Shaymin-S, then set up at least 1 layer as your opponent switch to a counter. These two are the reasons why you should use Ven over Rose.

firecape

This is the end...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I was talking in terms of mid game utility for the Roserade part.

And Venomoth doesn't really stop Deoxys-S, it just breaks the sash, which tons of users of U-turn with high Attack could accomplish. Shaymin-S you have a 75% of putting something to sleep, and you end up at 1% health (and get one layer I guess...), not exactly an ideal situation in my opinion. A big thing about using a lead is:

a) they perform well in the lead slot
b) they have midgame utility

Venomoth really doesn't have either, maybe a little bit on the first, but tons people prepare for sleep leads with the advent of Darkrai anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)