Tournament UUPL IX Semifinals

Status
Not open for further replies.

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Tournament Rules and General Guidelines
- Best of 3 tiers include SS UU, SM UU and ORAS UU. Both players can decide what tier to play first, and if they can't agree, then the first tier will default to SS UU. Loser picks the tier after that.
- Liepard and Riolu are banned from BW UU
- Baton Pass is banned from BW UU, DPP UU, and ADV UU
- All standard tournament rules apply
- Good luck and have fun!

Semifinals:

#1 Safari Zone Smashers (5) vs. #4 Eterna Forest Veterans (5)

SS UU: LNumbers vs. Indigo Plateau
SS UU: KSt3ve vs. Cam
SS UU: Cynde vs. basaninho
SM UU: HT vs. Xiri
ORAS UU: Chaitanya vs. Kink
BW UU: watashi vs. Amukamara
DPP UU: Tomahawk vs. esche
ADV UU: Shiba vs. JabbaTheGriffin
GSC UU: HSA vs. Mr.378
Bo3: robjr vs. CBU

#2 Mikan Island Monsters (6) vs. #3 Iki Town Idols (2)

SS UU: Star vs. Nat
SS UU: lax vs. umbry
SS UU: beatiful vs. Serene Grace
SM UU: Bushtush vs. PinkDragonTamer
ORAS UU: Garay oak vs. J0RIS
BW UU: Punny vs. SoulWind
DPP UU: TonyFlygon vs. Chill Shadow
ADV UU: Ark vs. Bouff
GSC UU: d0nut vs. kaori
Bo3: TDK vs. bugzinator

Tiebreaker:
(1) - (2)
SS: robjr vs CBU
SS: HT vs Indigo Plateau
ADV: Shiba vs esche

Deadline is Sunday the 25th at 10 pm Eastern

Last edited by a moderator:

ramolost

parfum quartier
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
#1 Safari Zone Smashers vs. #4 Eterna Forest Veterans

SS UU: LNumbers vs. Indigo Plateau : clark will upset this
SS UU: KSt3ve vs. Cam : i love cam and i dont love ksteve easy one
SS UU: Cynde vs. basaninho : cyndeeznuts
SM UU: HT vs. Xiri : hype i obviously go for the 2 letters name
ORAS UU: Chaitanya vs. Kink they are both 4-2 and they both won against splash so they are better than fucking awful. cool game
BW UU: watashi vs. Amukamara : i dont know shit about this tier iflipped this
DPP UU: Tomahawk vs. esche : esche is a fucking goat thats it he
ADV UU: Shiba vs. JabbaTheGriffin : cool dog name against weird monster name edge is kinda obvious
GSC UU: HSA vs. Mr.378 : untier but 3 letters name against lame ass numbers names. untier tho so anything can happen
Bo3: robjr vs. CBU : sorry cbu you are getting destroyed theres nothing i can do about it and theres nothing u can do about it

#2 Mikan Island Monsters vs. #3 Iki Town Idols

SS UU: Star vs. Nat : star won against the 5-2 legend (myself) when nat lost against ava (awful at the game). easy one for sure.
SS UU: col49 vs. umbry : lol cool names (umbreon with a cool y) against numbers in the name ???? terrible this is free for sure
SS UU: beatiful vs. Serene Grace : bea once gave me a ou sm team with tapu lele + 2 priorities. i think serene grace knows the mechanichs of this game so he should probably win but hes an LC player.
SM UU: Bushtush vs. PinkDragonTamer : peter dragon tamer is godlike
ORAS UU: Garay oak vs. J0RIS : i dont know i think garay is better
BW UU: Punny vs. SoulWind : punny was my snake team mate and i 6-0ed soulwind in snake. punny also won against me in ru championship. do the maths yourself but you know who is winning.
DPP UU: TonyFlygon vs. Chill Shadow : i love counter strike and its the same initials. i fucking hate flygon as a mon tho lame ass dragon. also tony is such a nice guy but he wasnt that nice when he flamed me in council chat
ADV UU: Ark vs. Bouff : bouffalant is cool but ark got the 3 letters.
GSC UU: d0nut vs. kaori : i dont know both of them. i still dont get why tdk bought 4 gsc players but it worked out i guess. this is randomized as well.
Bo3: TDK vs. bugzinator : fuck TDK bugzi is cute with his cute ass pfp tdk isnt cool

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
Semifinals Tournament Highlights:

#1 Safari Zone Smashers vs. #4 Eterna Forest Veterans - good luck to all players, members of the UU community such as myself enjoy these games and appreciate the time you put into these games.

SS UU: LNumbers vs. Indigo Plateau
LNumbers had strong showings early on in this tournament. I wanted to showcase his week 1 game against TonyFlygon where he received an early game advantage after his opponent tried to set up sweep with a Kommo-o and LNumbers was able to casually defend against the premature attack. His opponent then made fairly desperate predictions every turn to try and turn the tide but LNumbers never faltered until arguably turn 47 - he still ended up winning the game. What impressed me most was LNumbers demonstrating the willingness to play without predictions in order to just keep his advantage. It could have backfired but I still think LNumbers can hone it as a skill to play solidly.

Indigo Plateau however has won this head to head earlier in the tournament. In a game where IP both utilized rare Pokemon - Tentacruel, Noivern, and Cobalion are all quite decent but low in usage - as well as specialized sets, Colbur Berry Mew, IP won a close but powerful game. It was clear that IP identified early on his main pathway in Lycanroc and did good work to make it a reality, not foolishly sacking Lycanroc vs Seismitoad for damage early on as some lesser players would do for example.

In this game, I'll look to see if LNumbers can get an early advantage where holding his nerves is important. Otherwise, IP's incredibly proven metagame knowledge and preparation may lend him a hand.

SS UU: KSt3ve vs. Cam
KSteve can be particularly dangerous when given a single opportunity. Part of that is likely in the fast paced nature of this game but he demonstrated this well later in the tournament against Basaninho where a single misstep by Basaninho in letting his Krookodile get smacked by Obstagoon pointlessly and letting Chansey die rather unfortunately opened up a big hole for Thundurus-T to abuse. KSteve correctly identified that pathway and played well to ensure that it happened.

Cam on the other hand proved himself very capable of using underutilized Pokemon like Zarude and Chandelure in a victory against Lilburr later on in the tournament. He showed his techniques can work - Stone Edge Megahorn Cobalion was simply perfect preparation vs his opponent's Salamence, Chandelure, Diance and Tangrowth. However, besides his strong sets, he also shows a propensity to make highly accurate predictions such as the turns with Zarude vs Diancie, Cam was able to fortunately get those turns correct to secure an overwhelming advantage from a worse position.

In this game, all eyes should be on Cam's preparation and whether KSteve is able to produce a likely path to victory. Cam has shown he can claw back from worse positions but KSteve can also be dangerous given opportunities so I expect this game to be exciting

SS UU: Cynde vs. basaninho
Cynde was given an opportunity to win in his game vs my best friend Ramolost in the middle of the tournament. Cynde did keep a steady head on and very correctly put damage on Rhyperior to seal the game with his DD Salamence. There isn't too much to say about this apart from Cynde can find good win paths and can sit on worse positions and induce chokes.

Basaninho showed flashes of brilliance such as his "expert pivoting" in his game against Umbry. He showed mastery of the tier by demonstrating Slowking could stay in on Thundurus in desperate situations. Combined with a few predictions like staying in with Thundurus on Aegislash's Flash Cannon gave him a very workable position which he managed to eke out a win.

Cynde is certainly more versed in using unusual builds but both players have more than demonstrated their competence.

SM UU: HT vs. Xiri
HT won a very tense game in week 5 of the tournament vs Corazan. I'm not too surprised with the result - HP Fire Latias as always going to do well if it managed to KO the Scizor - but the Spikes he faced did give him trouble. There were plenty of impressive plays like psyching out his opponent with Infernape on Jellicent which resulted in badly injured Latias. HT proved to be able to play very accurately on turn 19, getting an essential Roost not being fazed by the obvious Toxic as he needed Latias to survive vs Roserade. It seems that after his opponent (needlessly?) gave up Jellicent, that gave HT a pathway to victory which he took and again, played accurately until the end with Togekiss vs Latias.

Xiri in a crushing game vs Bushtush snowballed his way to victory launching one vicious attack after another after he properly set up his opportunity by weakening Blastoise. His Pokemon just went ballistic, perhaps demonstrating his knowledge of the tier by picking a much more solid playstyle compared to his opponent's Blissey offense.

Both players are immensely strong with HT showing he can play very precisely while Xiri showing an equal amount of metagame knowledge and ability to launch dangerous attacks. I expect this game to be played at an extremely high level.

Bo3: robjr vs. CBU
Robjr has shown absolutely powerful preparation, being able to prepare for his opponent Finchinator's stall for example and crushing the strongest playstyle in gen7uu. However, even with his good match up, he had to execute some predictions like on turn 60 and was able to win because of that, as Celebi won long term if his opponent's Aerodactyl died. If he can execute and prepare well, Robjr can potentially take things in his own hand bar massive hax.

CBU has however dominated the head to head match up 2-1 with his one loss coming off luck. In the ORAS game in particular, CBU was absolutely relentless in stifling Robjr from launching any meaningful attack, the life blood of the hyper offense playstyle. It was really just a brutal victory, I don't think it shows brilliance from CBU but it does show his absolutely stone cold attitude to playing. If you cannot threaten his Pokemon - Celebi wasn't really threatening to Celebi - then he is capable of taking whatever you throw at him and then smacking you back way harder with those essential Thunderwaves. In short, you can't trick him, if you predict him, then he's likely factored that into his play already.

Neither Robjr nor CBU has really significant weaknesses that the other can exploit. The audience will be watching this game closely given how renown these players are. Both players have a high degree of understanding of the metagames they play in and consistently bring the top strategies so these games may even further develop the metagame.

I'll make HL comments for the other teams if I can get back to number one on the UU ladder soon, busy laddering, don't have time for tournament virgins sorry.

ey guys now that we lost it's time for shoutouts!

You may be asking: But The Kyle, shoutouts are supposed to be made at the end of the tournament!!!

And I'll tell you: That's right. But Team Brazil is going through a rough patch since... 2015, and someone in our chat suggested that instead of making shoutouts AFTER WE LOSE IN R1, we should make shoutouts BEFORE THE TOURNAMENT EVEN STARTS! That way our team morale is going to get a giant boost of confidence and we’ll hopefully make the playoffs again! That’s probably the reason I’m on the team to be honest, we were lacking social skills and I need to make up for that.

I’m going to start with our main core:

Eternal Spirit: I used to dislike you. Now I think you are a great teammate and community user if you try hard enough. Your overused jokes about abortion sucks and are not funny at all.

Spl4sh: I used to like you. Now you are very arrogant and made Perry quit. mncmt’s doll.

Moutemoute: You’re not Itachi. You can’t carry the team alone. You can’t play for half of the team anymore. TEAM stands for Together Everyone Acheves More. There’s no “I” in that sentence.

Hantsuki: Uninspiring. Never cares. Helped me with my class project, thanks. Will have to sub-in for Evi after she disappears and will have a positive record.

mncmt: Best brazillian player right now. Winner of the 4th edition of High Roller Tournament hosted by Kyle, the most prestigious brazilian tournament.

Now to the less important people on our team:

hs: I’m glad Nintendi isn’t playing ORAS because I want to see your excuses after you lose a game. You’re one the trashiest players and users I’ve ever met playing this game. You know what’s worse than being a team cancer? Not knowing you’re a team cancer. Your passive-aggressiveness and overall negativity gets on my nerves. I challenged you to play 1v1 and loser would be kicked from the team and you refused. Classic angsty teenager, trying to be smart and always contradicting yourself. Go eat a dick.

Plas: You’re really good, have great knowledge about the metagame and I know you worked on your pre-game anxiety. You’re also a great person. I wish you the best. No flames here.

Spl4sh: I don’t like you as a person that much. But I’m liking your motivation and tryhardness and I hope you don’t quit in the middle of the tour. You also had a nice Classics run, good job.

Thiago Nunes: Luckiest player playing RBY OmegaLUL EZ Clap

SpenderOfTime: Everyone has high hopes for you but don’t worry about the pressure and try to play your best and have fun.

Askov: You too, but with less hope.

Hec: Gama seems to trust you

Luthier: You should try to have fun because you said you didn’t have to much fun in SPL. Team tours are great!

Hyogafodex: I’m glad you’re on the team. I think Perry was the one who first mentioned your name for the last spot. For once these random guys in the chat did something good, you should thank him. Keep the Will of Fire running if I’m kicked LUL

Now it’s up to you, TEAM BRAZIL BANANA METEOR 2018. You might be angry now. You might have hatred now. But most importantly: You have HOPE now. And that's what matters.

Thanks and let’s have fun!

hs

Banned deucer.
#1 Safari Zone Smashers vs. #4 Eterna Forest Veterans

SS UU: LNumbers vs. Indigo Plateau : clark will upset this
SS UU: KSt3ve vs. Cam : i love cam and i dont love ksteve easy one
SS UU: Cynde vs. basaninho : cyndeeznuts
SM UU: HT vs. Xiri : hype i obviously go for the 2 letters name
ORAS UU: Chaitanya vs. Kink they are both 4-2 and they both won against splash so they are better than fucking awful. cool game
BW UU: watashi vs. Amukamara : i dont know shit about this tier iflipped this
DPP UU: Tomahawk vs. esche : esche is a fucking goat thats it he
ADV UU: Shiba vs. JabbaTheGriffin : cool dog name against weird monster name edge is kinda obvious
GSC UU: HSA vs. Mr.378 : untier but 3 letters name against lame ass numbers names. untier tho so anything can happen
Bo3: robjr vs. CBU : sorry cbu you are getting destroyed theres nothing i can do about it and theres nothing u can do about it
impressive how you managed to get (almost) all of them wrong, congrats!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)