UU Ghost Types

With the buff of Knock off, ghosts are slightly less common in gen 6. However many are still useful and can wreck havoc across UU. Some are powerful sweepers, some become incredible tanks and stalls making use of their type signature move Will-o-Wisp, some may even require a sacrifice to fully banish. While some are less viable than last gen, they are not something to be ignored.

Chandelure- The Soul Furnace

60/55/90/145/90/80
@ Choice Scarf/Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire/Infiltrator (Shadow Tag?)
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Modest/Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball
- Trick/Substitute

Chandelure burns enemy life force in mass making it an effective special attacker with an attack of base 145. While it's a little slow, this is easily fixed with a scarf. It also makes a good fire pivot or can trick it's scarf onto someone who relies on support moves. Substitute+Leftovers can also improve it's survivability giving it a second layer to break through while it fires back.

Golurk- The Iron Fist

89/124/80/55/80/55
@-Leftovers/Choice Band
Ability: Iron Fist/No Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant/Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock/Dynamic Punch
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake
- Shadow Punch/Drain Punch

Golurk makes a great pivot. He has immunity from electric, fighting, normal and a x0.25 resistance to the growing poison attacks. The weaknesses he does have can be used to bait triggers for water and dark abilities like Justified and Storm Drain. While his defenses are a bit average, his attack is through the roof, has a well stocked move pool with elemental punches, fighting attacks, a few ghost, earthquake and can be extended with Iron Fist. He also has accesses to the earth shattering No Guard + Dynamic Punch.

Dusclops- The Eviolite Eye

40/70/130*/60/130*/25
@ Eviolite
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Painsplit
- Shadow Sneak/Night Shade/Seismic Toss
- Will o Wisp/Toxic
- Substitute/Curse

With such low HP and already high defense, made even larger with eviolite. Dusclops can be difficult to break through and the longer you take the less chance you have as his Pressure causes all PP do drop faster. With very low health, Painsplit will take more health from enemies and give most of it to Dusclops. Curse adds another status and can cause problems for pokemon who want to set up stats for themselves and completely destroys Baton chains. While he has become less viable with Knock off becoming popular, he can still be a dangerous stall.

Gourgeist- The Two Size Terror

Super=85/100/122/58/75/54
Small=55/85/122/58/75/99
@-Leftovers
Ability: Frisk/Insomnia
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def (Small 252 HP / 72 Def / 184 Spe, Jolly)
Impish Nature
- Will o Wisp
- Leech Seed
- Protect/Painsplit
- Shadow Sneak/Seed Bomb/Substitute

You'll either want to go full bulk or full speed with the couple of sizes Gourgeist comes in. The small size can out speed many threats and get a burn on them before taking a hit while the larger size has more HP to tank as Leech Seed and Painsplit keep their health up.

Trevenant- The Angry Orchard

85/110/76/65/82/56
@Sitrus Berry/Leftovers/Lum Berry
Ability: Harvest/Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 180 Def
Lax Nature
- Horn Leech/Wood Hammer
- Will o Wisp/Curse/Protect
- Earthquake/Rock Slide/Substitute
- Leech Seed/Rest

If you do not have an easy way to kill this tree, you will be playing all day. Harvest is a very cheap ability based on a 50:50 RNG whether Trevenant grows his berry back. If he's holding a Sitrus Berry and is below 50% hp, he will likely get it back, if he doesn't he can use protect to get a reroll. Leech seed makes things even more complicated as he saps health from the enemy adding it to his. People have found more ways to exploit this ability such as stat boosting berries and ChestoResto sets. However his second ability gives another option of leaving to be cured of his status.

Banette- The Cursed Doll's Vengence

Base=64/115/65/83/63/65
Mega=64/165/75/93/83/75
@Banettite
Ability: Frisk (Prankster)
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 SpD
Careful Nature
- Destiny Bond
- Taunt
- Knock off/Shadow claw/Sucker Punch
- Will o Wisp

With the dreaded Prankster + Destiny Bond, Banette will take patience and planning to take down. If you even try to build stats it will taunt you into only making offensive moves, if it has Sucker Punch it will always get the first hit. Will o Wisp disables any physical attackers available and adds a time limit to your life. The only sure way to kill it is get around it's taunt and kill it through status or weather or sacrifice someone to deal the killing blow.

Shedinja- The Immortal

1/90/X/30/X/40
@-Focus sash
Ability: Wonder Guard
Evs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe

- Sword Dance/Will o wisp
- Protect
- Baton Pass
- Sucker Punch/Shadow Sneak/X-Scizzor/Shadow Claw

With the biggest balance to the best ability in the game, Shedinja is dead on delivery with 1 HP. He can not be killed through normal attacks, for how can you kill that which has no life. The only way to banish this pivot is to set up spike/rocks, status it with poison/burns, catch it in weather, or hit it with a super effective fire, flying, dark, ghost or rock attack. Protect can help it scout threats but it's only use is baton pass teams where it can get speed boost support from it's cousin Ninjask and provide Sword Dances. It takes skill to take advantage of his ability but falls apart at the slightest mistake.

Froslass- The Blizzard's Kiss

70/80/70/80/70/110
@-Focus sash
Ability: Cursed Body
Evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Destiny Bond
- Shadow Ball/Ice Beam

Based on the Japanese Yukionna, Froslass's roll is to kill enemies slowly as they try to escape the snow storm even after her own death. Her speed and Taunt to stop the enemy from using support moves helps her get spikes up before she dies. Similar to Banette, destiny bond needs to be handled carefully or you will lose your lead and no one gets spikes.

Jellicent- The Jellyfish Monarch

100/60/70/85/105/60
@-Leftovers
Ability: Cursed Body/Water Absorb
Evs: 252 HP / 36 Def / 220 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Toxic/Will o wisp
- Shadow Ball/Ice Beam

Jellicent is tough to break down and out stall, it has two attacks to cause burns, can toxic tanks and has recover. With these attacks and great special defense, Jellicent will force any physical attackers away, toxic the special sweepers and pivot water attacks for bonus regeneration. However it is vulnerable to choice tricks, toxic and can be threatened by taunt.

Mismagius- The Black Magus

60/60/60/105/105/105
@-Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Nasty Plot/Calm Mind
- Dazzling Gleam/Will o Wisp
- Shadow Ball

With solid special stats and speed, the only thing left for Mismagius to do is increase those stats further and Shadow Ball the competition. She already out speeds base 100, if she's allowed to boost her special stats high enough and get behind a substitute nothing can stop her.

Doublade- The Steel Twins

59/110/150*/45/49*/35
@Eviolite
Ability: Anything Else
Evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def
Adamant Nature
- Sword Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Iron Head/Gyro Ball
- Shadow Claw/Sacred Sword

Like Dusclops, Doublade has incredible defense and isn't fully evolved making eviolite an amazing item on them. The steel typing add a lot of defense and offensive power to the new fairy type but unfortunately was just recently nerfed to allow dark and ghost attacks through. Doublade is best against physical attackers that have to go through it's hard shell, once given time to spare, it can gain a sword dance and shadow sneak for priority. Gyro ball is also helpful taking advantage of it's nonexistant speed however Iron Head works well too. Doublade thrives in trick rooms where it can attack first without fear of not having the recovery it needs.

Sableye- The Gem Hoarder

50/75/75/65/65/50
@-Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
Evs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SpD
Calm Nature
- Recovery
- Will o Wisp
- Taunt
- Foul Play/Night Shade

Behold, the most annoying yet legit thing in the world. Before fairys were added, Sableye had no weakness and could easily recover it's health before the enemy could even attack. And that's not even the worst point, it gets priority burns. Be ready to throw out a fire type or something that can't be burned and preferably isn't physical based or not weak to dark attacks. And until swagplay gets banned, expect to ragequit a few times because of pure luck.

Spiritomb- 108 Evil Spirits

50/92/108/92/108/35
@-Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful/Calm Nature
- Rest/Painsplit
- Will o Wisp
- Sleep Talk/Taunt/Sucker Punch
- Foul Play

Speaking of no weakness, Spiritomb has the same typing as Sableye but has much more defense and attack. While he lacks the speed of prankster, pressure adds more stall power. Again will o wisp cripples any physical attackers and foul play can help attack physical attackers who stay in. Spiritomb also has a rest + sleep talk combo to get all his health back and keep fighting, however this strategy is purely luck based and can be unpredictable.

Cofagrigus- The Mummies Curse

58/50/145/95/105/30
@-Leftovers
Ability: Mummy
Evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Shadow ball/Hex
- Will o Wisp/Hidden Power Fighting/Toxic Spikes
- Nasty Plot/Calm Mind
- Trick Room/Painsplit

With a hardened case and will o wisp, Cofagrigus is secure on the physical side. However with calm mind it's the special side that's of most concern. Cofagrigus can also consider Hex if he's confident in burning everything infront of him. The last nail is the trick room which turns his immobile coffin into a benifit. With impossible defense, burns, rising special stats and a built in trick room, Cofagrigus's afterlife is about to be a lot less lonely.

Drifblim- Overblown Balloon

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/drifblim-unburden-strategy.3503674/#post-5361083

Not that good so I wasn't going to bring it up but this thread has a few viable strategies exploiting it's unburden and baton pass strategies.

Last edited:
Well, actually Ghost types got buffed since their STAB is resisted by one less type - steel. The unfortunate disadvantage is that Dark types got the same buff and the infamous Knock Off. Although ghost types have new threats like Crawdaunt and Knock off Mienshao (and almost every other threat that gets this move) to fear from, they have less Pokemon to tank and resist their hits and are less reliant on coverage.

Another small thing I want to mention is Cofagrigus receiving Toxic Spikes, which rises his versatility and utility.

Also, since many new spinner recently dropped and two premier Defoggers rose to OU (Zapdos and Latias), maybe the ghosts of UU will re-find their niche as spinblockers.

Mismagius
@-Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam

I pretty sure this is the best set Mismagius should be running, the great boost you get from Nasty Plot is so much better than Calm Mind, while Dazzling Gleam Hits those Dark, and Dragon types really hard. There is no reason to run Hidden Power Fighting imo.

Mismagius
@-Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam

I pretty sure this is the best set Mismagius should be running, the great boost you get from Nasty Plot is so much better than Calm Mind, while Dazzling Gleam Hits those Dark, and Dragon types really hard. There is no reason to run Hidden Power Fighting imo.
Alright, replaced the HP with dazzling gleam and added Nasty Plot along side Calm Mind.

Chandelure has Infiltrator as its hidden ability this generation, not Shadow Tag. Just saying.~
And does Destiny Bond get the priority boost from Prankster as well? I wasn't aware of that. That would make Mega Banette basically a better Sableye.
I'd also like to see Doublade get a little credit as well. Thank you for mentioning it. I'd probably like it as a good Rapi Spin-blocker, but eeh. Just my opinion.~

Mega banette has to use a turn to get prankster because the way turn order works and it's typing is not as good as sableyes so it in no way outclasses Sableye. Also, doublade is a poor spinblocker because it cannot block the most common spinners like mega blastoise, starmie, and donphan

Mega banette has to use a turn to get prankster because the way turn order works and it's typing is not as good as sableyes so it in no way outclasses Sableye. Also, doublade is a poor spinblocker because it cannot block the most common spinners like mega blastoise, starmie, and donphan
Lol Donphan. You mean Excadrill. And I can't exactly see Mega Blastoise or Starmie as a huge threat. Starmie is Psychic type. One SD and it gets OHKOed by Shadow Sneak. Blastoise... Just... Eeh. I don't like him too much, I dunno.

Lol Donphan. You mean Excadrill. And I can't exactly see Mega Blastoise or Starmie as a huge threat. Starmie is Psychic type. One SD and it gets OHKOed by Shadow Sneak. Blastoise... Just... Eeh. I don't like him too much, I dunno.
Well this is UU, so Excadrill is not relevant, and Mega Blastoise can have Dark Pulse which OHKOs Doublade, Mega Blastoise is probably the best Rapid Spinner in UU.

Do you know what thread you are in? This is UU, where excadrill is banned. Starmie will easily 2hko doublade with hydro pump, so it is a terrible switch-in. Mega blastoise destroys doublade with dark pulse

Derp
Do you know what thread you are in? This is UU, where excadrill is banned. Starmie will easily 2hko doublade with hydro pump, so it is a terrible switch-in. Mega blastoise destroys doublade with dark pulse
Well this is UU so Excadrill is not relevant, and Mega Blastoise can have Dark Pulse which OHKOs Doublade, Mega Blastoise is probably the best Rapid Spinner in UU.
Thank you. I keep forgetting Excadrill is OU. And if you switch in Doublade against a Focus Miss from a M.Blastoise, you'd have a chance. I take back my Doublade RS blocker. Change that to Cofagrigus. I just saw it get Toxic Spikes this generation. So that makes it just that much more annoying.

Gonna leave my Golurk stuff here.
Golurk #623

Typing: Ghost/Ground

Abilities: No Guard / Iron Fist / Klutz

Base stats: 89 / 124 / 80 / 55 / 80 / 55 BST: 483

Pros:
-3 Immunities allows him to switch in on many called attacks for free, notably Volt Switch and Fake Out
-Typing gives him resistance to U-turn, combined with above immunities, allows him to at least check most common openers
-Speed investment makes him faster than most bulky mons, notably Blastoise, Metagross, Umbreon, and Florges.

Cons:
-Typing gives him a ton of common weaknesses: Dark, Grass, Ice, Water, Ghost
-Has to compete with Hippowdon and Donphan for the Ground/SR niche

Current Viability Ranking: None

Notable moves: (STAB in bold)
Earthquake
Dynamic Punch
Stone Edge
Stealth Rock
Ice Punch
Shadow Punch
Magic Coat
Thunder Punch
Fire Punch
Rock Polish

Recommended Sets:

Sash Setup
Golurk @ Focus Sash
Ability: No Guard
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
-Earthquake
-Dynamic Punch
-Stone Edge
-Stealth Rock

This set has been doing wonders for me in UU. With 3 100 BP moves, all with 100% accuracy due to No Guard, Golurk is a frightful opponent with amazing coverage, especially for a Stealth Rocker. Starting with Dynamic Punch often gives you at least 1 extra turn, and many Pokes can be combo'd down by a Dynamic Punch into one part of QuakeEdge. He has favorably matchups against just about every other setup/lead, in example, he will almost always beat Swampert, and has a 1/4 chance of killing Swampert before he gets to do a single thing.

Damage Calcs from Golurk:
252+ Atk Golurk Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tornadus-T: 280-330 (93.6 - 110.3%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Golurk Dynamic Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Metagross: 93-110 (25.5 - 30.2%) -- guarenteed 4HKO
252+ Atk Golurk Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Metagross: 278-330 (76.3 - 90.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Golurk Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Darmanitan: 560-662 (159.5 - 188.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Golurk Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Ampharos: 336-396 (87.5 - 103.1%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Golurk Dynamic Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Filter Mega Aggron: 84-99 (24.4 - 28.7%) -- 98.6% chance to 4HKO
252+ Atk Golurk Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Filter Mega Aggron: 126-148 (36.6 - 43%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ Atk Golurk Stone Edge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Thundurus-T: 310-366 (103.3 - 122%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Golurk Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Florges: 160-189 (44.4 - 52.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Golurk Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Florges: 238-282 (66.1 - 78.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Golurk Dynamic Punch vs. 52 HP / 0 Def Kyurem: 254-300 (62.8 - 74.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Golurk Dynamic Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Umbreon: 214-254 (54.3 - 64.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Good Partners:

Cloyster is a particularly strong partner for Golurk, as Golurk can provide immunities to two of Cloyster weaknesses, Electric and Fighting.

Gastrodon allows you to call incoming water attacks to get a free SpA boost.

Miltank allows you to call incoming grass attacks and get a free Attack boost.

Musketeers allow you to call incoming dark attacks and get a free Attack boost.

More Coming!

Feared Enemies:

Golurk can't out damage Hippowdon's Slack Off without an incredibly lucky chain of confuses.

Roserade and any other strong Giga Drain user can clear him out without taking much damage.

More Coming!

Replays:
Coming Soon!

General Thoughts:
Golurk is a very strong offensive set up, and in my experience often takes at least 1 Pokemon down with him AND gets up Stealth Rocks. At the very least, he will get up Stealth Rocks. Dynamic Punch provides a strong move on called switches to any Poke, and confuse often does a ton of work for him. I'm incredibly confused as to why Golurk is not even listed on the viability chart for UU.

Last edited:
252+ Atk Donphan Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Doublade: 122-146 (37.8 - 45.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Every decent donphan should be using knock off and a combination of that with earthquake will easily destroy doublade. Regardless of this doublade cant touch donphan anyway and has no recovery whatsoever so donphan is still beating it in the long run.

KM

slayification
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
i'm pretty sure chandy abilities are Flash Fire/Flame Body/Infiltrator now that gen 6 is around.

Also, shedinja isn't really used most of the time as a partner for ninjask on a baton pass team, especially given that both of them are fairly bad. It does have limited use as a hard counter to bulky waters like suicune and slowbro and certain sweepers, like flygon, but the general consensus is that this doesn't merit its use either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)