UU UU Classic 2023 Playoffs - Finals [Won by Amukamara]

Estarossa

moo?
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderator
C&C Leader

shoutouts to HotFuzzBall for the banner

Information about the UU Classic can be found here.

Tournament Rules:
  • General tournament rules and regulations can be found here.
  • Best of three, single elimination.
  • Battles should take place on Pokemon Showdown!
  • Do not make baseless activity posts, get in contact with your opponent and report missed times / scheduling issues only.
  • Standard clauses apply.
  • All the usual Smogon tournament rules regarding activity, timer, disconnection, and ghosting rules apply.
This tournament is included in the UnderUsed Tournament Circuit of 2023!

The seeding for UU Classic Playoffs is as follows -

#1 robjr - 27 points
#2 pdt - 24 points
#3 eifo - 23 points (77% win rate)
#4 jay - 23 points (76% win rate)
#5 Corperate n - 22 points
#6 Amukamara - 21 points
#7 Real FV13 - 20 points (76% win rate)
#8 BigFatMantis - 20 points (71% win rate)
#9 Banbadoro - 19 points
#10 Bouff - 18 points
#11 Slip - 16 points
#12 dunoks - 14 points
#13 Adaam - 13 points (88% win rate)
#14 JustFranco - 13 points (63% win rate)
#15 memedose46 - 13 points (62.5% win rate)

Tiebreak for Playoffs

As there is a 3-way tie for #16 slot, there will be a tiebreak round. This will be a round robin with BO3 Series over the classic tiers, with the user with the best run in a cup picking first each time. The loser will then pick the next tier.

avarice [pick first] vs Xiri
airfare [pick first] vs avarice
airfare [pick first] vs Xiri

avarice airfare Xiri

The deadline for this tiebreak is Sunday 8th October at 11;59pm GMT-4. Good luck! Replays are required!

Last edited:

Estarossa

moo?
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderator
C&C Leader
Last edited:
Alright we're not gonna do this without some predicts at least so let's go:

#1 robjr vs avarice #16 - rob had one of the most impressive series of cup runs in recent memory, winning two outright and making it far in several others. And SM wasn't even one of them yet it's probably his best oldgen. Avarice is definitely great and can play any gen just fine, but it's hard to bold against rob vs anyone in Round 1, but anything can happen I suppose especially with avarice teams.

#2 pdt vs memedose46 #15 - pdt isn't really known for his classic prowess, but with SS now being an oldgen along SM and ORAS he is more than capable of making a deep run. Unfortunately for memedose, pdt's best gens are also memedose's best gens, and pdt is the more proven player, so there is no real advantage for memedose in any gens going into this one.

#3 eifo vs JustFranco #14 - eifo had great runs in several cups, but I think JustFranco is more capable of grinding this out and pulling off the win. I think eifo has a pretty distinct advantage in DPP, and a slight advantage in the other older gens like BW, but Franco can easily play either of those well also and he has the advantage in SS/SM for sure. Predicting an upset here.

#4 jay vs Adaam #13 - I think Adaam is retired, but that means he has no stress. Plus he won the first ever Silver Wind Invitational so he can play these oldgens well when he has to. I predict jay takes ORAS and Adaam wins out on the other 3. I suppose you could call it an "upset".

#5 Corperate n vs dunoks #12 - Definitely one of the more interesting matchups. Dunoks is no slouch in any gen, but Corperate n has been grinding the older gens for a while now and I think holds the advantage in GSC all the way through BW. Dunoks is definitely one of the best overall SS UU players though, and I'd say they break fairly even for SM and ORAS, so it can definitely go either way but I think Corp will take it in a hard fought 5 game series.

#6 Amukamara vs Slip #11 - Liam is the goat, defending champ, and holds a clear advantage over Slip in every gen unfortunately. I want to see Slip go far in this year's classic but he just happened to get a WOAT first round matchup. That being said Liam didn't have as impressive a run in the cups this year as he did last year, but I still expect him to take this one.

#7 Real FV13 vs Bouff #10 - This one is for sure the highlight matchup. FV holds a clear advantage in GSC, while Bouff holds a clear advantage in ADV. After that, FV might hold a slight advantage in BW, Bouff holds a slight advantage in SS/SM/ORAS/DPP, but it isn't that much of an advantage and either player can end up taking either of those games. I think this one is going to 5 games for sure and will be the most heavily contested series amongs all of them. I think Bouff takes it though on a series ending BW crit.

#8 BigFatMantis vs Banbadoro #9 - lfg

#2 pdt vs Bouff #10 - this is by far the highlight matchup. pdt is a superstar in SS and SM, while Bouff has a distinct advantage in ADV and probably GSC. But both players can also play all those tiers so it's not like anyone is running away with any of it. ORAS is fairly close on both sides, and BW/DPP can go either way (I don't really expect those to be played). Overall I'm really excited to see how this one goes but I think Bouff ends up winning ORAS to clinch it in 5 games.

#14 JustFranco vs Amukamara #6 - Liam has a really tough matchup with Franco who seems to be on a roll in every tour he's in atm. But even though Franco has been playing out of his mind recently, Liam is just too good and and has too much knowledge in every single gen - even GSC which he doesn't even like. Franco probably has an advantage in SS but that's likely it - Liam is the favorite in the rest and probably takes this in 4 or maybe in 5 if Franco pulls off a win in a non-SS gen.

#13 Adaam vs dunoks #12 - Adaam got a free pass last round and I'm not sure when the last time he played mons was. That being said he is still a favorite here in probably every gen, as dunoks's strong points are also Adaam's strong points, and even SS, dunoks's best gen, is a gen where Adaam has achieved lots of success. Dunoks is very good though and Adaam's advantage isn't that large in any gen besides SM - it's going to be a hard fought series but I think Adaam takes it in 5.

All in all this round of 8 is extremely stacked and we should be really excited for all of these matchups - I am looking forward to them all.

GGs to rob, but now I gotta do predicts:

#1 robjr vs Adaam #13 - rob has a certain special determination to win this tour I feel - it's something of a killer instinct I kinda saw in Liam last year when he was farming the cups and then blasting through the playoffs stage on his way to win it all. Adaam meanwhile seems like he's just having fun and probably isn't going full effort with respect to prep for the lower gens, but Adaam is a very good pokemon player and will definitely go full effort when he's actually playing each gen and can win any game at any moment. I see rob taking this though, he's really gotten a lot better at ADV than he used to be (won the ADV Cup) and that used to be a weakness that's now a strength, and he's also very good at GSC, giving him a pretty distinct edge in the lower gens department while the fairy gens are fairly even. Think Adaam has to sweep SS/SM/ORAS in order to win and I just don't see anyone sweeping robert jr. in all 3 of those gens in any given series (if anyone can do it it's Adaam tho). Gonna predict rob in 5.

#2 pdt vs Amukamara #6 - This is an equally as hype MU - Liam should have the advantage in theory, but pdt has been on a bit of a tear this entire classic making it far in almost every cup and farming in the playoffs. I think it's probably a lot closer than most people think - Liam has an advantage in BW/DPP/ADV for sure, but pdt has played more SS and I think understands it better, and both players are great in SM and ORAS so those can go either way. And pdt is still good in BW/DPP/ADV as shown by his play this Classic, and Liam has also done quite well in SS, so nothing really in this MU is a given for either player. Also I didn't mention GSC bc that's definitely not getting played here. I predict Liam taking in 5, but I'm really not sure/confident on the prediction think it's way too close to call. But I gotta call it one way or another.

won vs adam for finals, ggs

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen5uu-727385
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7uu-727388
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen3uu-727400
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8uu-727415

24-3 game count over the last two playoffs was something I never really imagined I'd be capable of but here we are. Winning b2b has been fun, although this was more of a solo effort than last year, even enjoyed building in tiers I typically don't play like gsc and ss. Thanks Esta for hosting, I'll be coming for the 3peat next year

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)