Metagame USUM Pure Hackmons

aerobee

Pure Hackmons
is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
USUM Pure Hackmons

(banner pending)

Premise: Anything directly hackable onto a set (EVs, IVs, forme, ability, item, and move) and is usable in local battles is allowed.

This is not Balanced Hackmons. Balanced Hackmons holds a banlist for the purpose of having a less centralized variant of Hackmons. For Generation 7 Balanced Hackmons, check out the Balanced Hackmons Old Gens Hub.

This is also not Anything Goes. Anything Goes is exclusive to legal Pokémon. For Generation 7 Anything Goes, check out the AG Old Gens Hub.

Clauses: Team Preview, Endless Battle Clause

FAQ:
Q:
Is this Custom Game?
A: No. Custom Game is based on what the Pokémon Showdown teambuilder is capable of, while Hackmons is based around what is hackable in game and usable in local battles. Specifically, in Hackmons you are limited to a maximum level of 100, a maximum of 4 moves, a maximum of 6 Pokemon, and Showdown specific moves and abilities such as Paleo Wave and Rebound are unusable, while in Custom Game there is a max level of 9999, the maximum number of moves is 24, the maximum number of Pokemon is 24, and Showdown specific moves and abilities are usable.

Q: Can I make my Pokémon invincible?
A: No Pokémon can be made fully invincible, and most gimmicky attempts in having them done end up bringing no impact towards the competitive metagame. Wonder Guard + Burn Up is not a reliable option.

Q:
Can I use Crystal Free Z moves (CFZs) in my movesets?
A: Yes! But keep in mind that CFZs with variable base power (all of the one's associated with a type e.g. Bloom Doom) will have a base power of 1. Moves like Clangorous Soulblaze and Genesis Supernova have their full base power however.

Q: Why is there an Endless Battle Clause?
A: Endless Battle Clause exists in every Showdown metagame to prevent battles taking too long and lagging the server. This acts similar to the in-game timer system, but more loose, meaning battles can extend further with Endless Battle Clause than it could with in-game timer.

Resources:
Viability Rankings
Sample Teams
Setpedia
Wonder Guard Setpedia
Old Gen Hackmons Megathread
Introduction to Gen 7 Pure Hackmons
What is Hackmons? Article

Social:
Pure Hackmons Discord
Pure Hackmons PS! room

Accessibility:
Currently playable on ladder and through PS! challenges and tournaments.

Council:
aerobee
NToTheN
Ransei

Last edited:

aerobee

Pure Hackmons
Sample Teams
(Most offensive <---> Most defensive)

Primal Groudon Spam by aerobee

Smash Mega Gyarados Psychic Terrain Hyper Offense by aerobee

Dual Magic Guard Triple MMX Hyper Offense by Bahamut

No Guard Lopunny Hyper Offense by Bahamut

Z Pdon + No Guard Greninja Offense by Bahamut and NToTheN

:Gyarados-Mega::Audino-Mega::Mewtwo-Mega-X::Chansey::Steelix-Mega::Lunala:
Power Trip Gyarados + Ice Shard Leppa MMX Balance by NToTheN

:Shedinja::Zygarde-Complete::Type-Null::Chansey::Audino-Mega::Rayquaza-Mega:

Shedinja Semistall by aerobee

:greninja-ash::articuno::skuntank::steelix-mega::slaking::swampert-mega:
Z-Lovely Kiss Greninja Baton Pass by aerobee

Changelog:

02-10-24 - Changed HP EVs to 248 on BP sample Greninja

Last edited:

aerobee

Pure Hackmons
VIABILITY RANKINGS

Welcome to the Pure Hackmons Viability Rankings. This is one of the many resources made to help players determine what can be considered viable in the metagame. These rankings are placed in alphabetical order. Anyone is free to put their thoughts on any Pokémon and debate on whether or not they need a rank change as long as they are reasonable. Provide clear evidence for reasons why a Pokémon should have a change in rank, and be civil about it. We want what we can believe to be closer to fact than subjective opinions.

S Rank
S
Blissey
Chansey
Mewtwo-Mega-X
Wonder Guard
S Rank
S
Audino-Mega

S-
Meloetta
Muk-Alola
Oranguru

A Rank
A+
Scizor-Mega

A
Cresselia
Greninja-Ash
Gyarados-Mega
Kartana
Slowbro-Mega

A-
Arceus
Blissey
Chansey
Hoopa-Unbound
Mewtwo-Mega-Y
Necrozma-Dusk-Mane
Slaking
Solgaleo
Type: Null

B Rank
B+
‎Ferrothorn
Gardevoir-Mega
Groudon-Primal
Houndoom-Mega
Sableye-Mega

B
Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Magearna
Mewtwo-Mega-X
‎ Necrozma-Dawn-Wings
Pheromosa
Yveltal

B-
Aggron-Mega
Celesteela
Deoxys-Speed
Kyogre-Primal
‎ Lopunny-Mega
Lunala
Steelix-Mega

C Rank
Beedrill-Mega
Bisharp
‎ Deoxys-Attack
Dialga
Ditto
Escavalier
‎ Regigigas
Sableye @ Sablenite
Swampert-Mega

S- Rank
‎ Zygarde-Complete

A Rank
A+
Gengar-Mega
Groudon-Primal
Mewtwo-Mega-Y
Necrozma-Dusk-Mane
Rayquaza-Mega

A
Deoxys-Attack
Diancie-Mega
Greninja-Ash
Kartana
Regigigas
Slaking
Solgaleo
Steelix-Mega

A-
Deoxys-Speed
Lopunny-Mega
Necrozma-Ultra
Slowbro-Mega

B Rank
Arceus
Celesteela
Cresselia
Excadrill
Giratina
Giratina-Origin
Guzzlord
Gyarados-Mega
Ho-Oh
Kyogre-Primal
Kyurem-Black
Lunala
Metagross-Mega
Registeel
Yveltal

C Rank
Articuno
Gardevoir-Mega
Groudon @ Red Orb
Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Lugia
Pheromosa
Pikachu
Shedinja
Tyranitar-Mega
Xerneas

Blacklist - Do not discuss putting these on the VR
:Entei: :Arcanine: :Typhlosion: :Darmanitan::Magmortar: :Flareon: :Rapidash: :Simisear: :Ninetales: Any pure Fire-type for their Burn Up sets.
Pure Fire-types in the metagame don't stand very well as Wonder Guards as they for the most part are outclassed by other possible Wonder Guards such as Primal Groudon and Alolan Muk for having similar but less weaknesses, and usually higher defensive stats. However, the main strategy of a Pure Fire-type Pokemon with Wonder Guard is to utilize the move Burn Up, a move that removes a Pokemon's Fire-type after successfully hitting. With many viable Wonder Guards in the metagame, these types of Pokemon should find it hard to be able to successfully hit an attack, and even if they do, they can still be forced to switch either by phazing or by matchup, causing them to have to redo their main strategy. It is also worth noting that the ability of Wonder Guards to carry four moves in this metagame is a gift. Most of them use their four moves in order to support, recover themselves, boost stats, inflict status, and/or throw hazards. Their type combination is good enough to handle on their own without the absolute need to provide a move to get rid of their type. Pure Fire-type Pokemon who follow the Burn Up strategy can also struggle more heavily against Mold Breaker/Turboblaze/Teravolt Pokemon or Pokemon that have Photon Geyser or Moongeist Beam, making the entire point of the strategy lose any value it had.
Post to stack on explanation: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/pure-hackmons.3656851/page-3#post-8375359

Changelog:

Last edited:

Ransei

Garde Mystik
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I am copy/pasting a large part of what I placed in this post on the Old Gen Pure Hackmons Megathread here because I think it'd be useful.

:banette-mega::chansey::giratina::audino-mega::necrozma-dawn-wings::zygarde-complete: - Spooky Scary Hackmon (A revised offense team I built in 2019 which somehow made the 1604 ladder peak)
:banette-mega::greninja-ash::giratina::audino-mega::necrozma-dawn-wings::zygarde-complete: - Spooky Scary Hackmon (Same as above but with Ash Gren over Chansey. Ash Gren also helped make peak)
:steelix-mega::chansey::audino-mega::gyarados-mega::mewtwo-mega-x::gengar-mega: - Thanos World (Balance Team I made 87 GXE with. This was my best team. Will make an RMT for it sometime)
:zygarde-complete::ferrothorn::greninja-ash::necrozma-dawn-wings::steelix-mega::mewtwo-mega-x:- Ferrothorn Rocks (Offense team I kept making 1500s with and nearly peaked. Probably the team I used most)
:gyarados-mega::greninja-ash::mewtwo-mega-x::zygarde-complete::gengar-mega::zygarde-complete: - Too many guards (HO Team that helped me nearly make 1500s peak prior to Spooky Scary Hackmon)
:mewtwo-mega-y::chansey::celesteela::steelix-mega::gyarados-mega::groudon-primal: - Mold Breaker MMY Balance (Not as good as the other teams but this still made 1500s on an alt)
:mewtwo-mega-x::greninja-ash::greninja-ash::zygarde-complete::ferrothorn::mewtwo-mega-x: - Water Bubble Gren Offense (Team I used a bit throughout the 1500s. I find it pretty good)
:groudon-primal::audino-mega::necrozma-dawn-wings::groudon-primal::steelix-mega::mewtwo-mega-x: - Dual Primal Groudon Offense (Team I quickly spiraled up to 1400s with very early on)

These are the rest of the teams I have for Gen 7 Pure Hackmons
https://pokepast.es/cc35df2c0ee51e77 - Current
https://pokepast.es/8a9b0d3cd7747dd6 - Old
https://pokepast.es/f825b2eb350c0a9a - Ancient (All early 2019 or older)
https://pokepast.es/ae2193f6cc809306 - The Beginning of Time (My very oldest Gen 7 Pure Hackmons teams. All from no later than October 2018)

The current Viability Rankings is very outdated so I figured I could post my personal VR based on how the metagame was like when it was LCotM ladder back in September.

Art by BlueberryBlanket

Welcome to the Pure Hackmons Viability Rankings. This is one of the many resources made to help players determine what can be considered viable in the metagame. These rankings are placed in viability order in S rank and then alphabetical order below. Any ability ranked is placed last for convenience. Anyone is free to put their thoughts on any Pokémon and debate on whether or not they need a rank change as long as they are reasonable. Provide clear evidence for reasons why a Pokémon should have a change in rank, and be civil about it. We want what we can believe to be closer to fact than subjective opinions.

S Rank
S Rank
Chansey
Blissey
Mewtwo-Mega-X
‎ Zygarde-Complete
Wonder Guard
S Rank
S+
Audino-Mega

S
Gyarados-Mega

S-
Greninja-Ash
Slowbro-Mega

A reminder that after this point pokemon are ranked alphabetically.

A Rank
A+
‎ Necrozma-Dawn-Wings

A
Arceus
‎Ferrothorn
Scizor-Mega
Slaking

A-
Kartana
Mewtwo-Mega-X
Mewtwo-Mega-Y
Meloetta
Oranguru
Muk-Alola
Sableye-Mega

B Rank
B+
Cresselia
Celesteela
Gardevoir-Mega
Groudon-Primal
Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Houndoom-Mega
Hoopa-Unbound
Magearna
Necrozma-Dusk-Mane
Solgaleo

B
Blissey
Chansey
Pheromosa
Yveltal

B-
Aggron-Mega
Deoxys-Speed
Kyogre-Primal
‎ Lopunny-Mega
Steelix-Mega

C Rank
Beedrill-Mega
Bisharp
‎ Deoxys-Attack
Dialga
Ditto
Escavalier
‎ Regigigas
Sableye @ Sablenite
Swampert-Mega

S-
Steelix-Mega
Gengar-Mega

A reminder that after this point pokemon are ranked alphabetically.

A Rank
A+ Rank
Deoxys-Attack
Doublade
Greninja-Ash
Groudon-Primal
Mewtwo-Mega-Y

A Rank
Regigigas
Slaking
Solgaleo
Necrozma-Dusk-Mane
Rayquaza-Mega

A- Rank
Deoxys-Speed
Diancie-Mega
Gyarados-Mega
Kartana
Lopunny-Mega
Lunala
Slowbro-Mega

B Rank
Arceus
Banette-Mega
Celesteela
Cresselia
Excadrill
Giratina
Giratina-Origin
Guzzlord
Ho-Oh
Kyogre-Primal
Kyurem-Black
Metagross-Mega
Necrozma-Ultra
Registeel
Sceptile-Mega
Yveltal

C Rank
Articuno
Gardevoir-Mega
Groudon @ Red Orb
Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Lugia
Pheromosa
Pikachu
Shedinja
Tyranitar-Mega
Xerneas

:Entei: :Arcanine: :Typhlosion: :Darmanitan::Magmortar: :Flareon: :Rapidash: :Simisear: :Ninetales: Any pure Fire-type for their Burn Up sets.
Pure Fire-types in the metagame don't stand very well as Wonder Guards as they for the most part are outclassed by other possible Wonder Guards such as Primal Groudon and Alolan Muk for having similar but less weaknesses, and usually higher defensive stats. However, the main strategy of a Pure Fire-type Pokemon with Wonder Guard is to utilize the move Burn Up, a move that removes a Pokemon's Fire-type after successfully hitting. With many viable Wonder Guards in the metagame, these types of Pokemon should find it hard to be able to successfully hit an attack, and even if they do, they can still be forced to switch either by phazing or by matchup, causing them to have to redo their main strategy. It is also worth noting that the ability of Wonder Guards to carry four moves in this metagame is a gift. Most of them use their four moves in order to support, recover themselves, boost stats, inflict status, and/or throw hazards. Their type combination is good enough to handle on their own without the absolute need to provide a move to get rid of their type. Pure Fire-type Pokemon who follow the Burn Up strategy can also struggle more heavily against Mold Breaker/Turboblaze/Teravolt Pokemon or Pokemon that have Photon Geyser or Moongeist Beam, making the entire point of the strategy lose any value it had.
Post to stack on explanation: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/pure-hackmons.3656851/page-3#post-8375359

I did make some changes after reflecting on what I had in my personal VR three months ago. I honestly think S+ and S (for non-Wonder Guards) should be merged atm and I dropped Doublade to A+ since Mega Steelix is mostly better than it but it still performs on the level of a godsend when used right.

Edit: I also minimized Mega Audino's speed on Thanos World to 0 IVs, which could be useful for building momentum in some games.

Last edited:

Ransei

Garde Mystik
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I decided to ran the ancient Cats and Rabbits RMT on the ladder and was surprised to see it hold up moderately well, especially against some of the other sample teams on ladder. It's not a revolutionary team by any means but it's good enough to properly introduce people to the metagame and rack up loads of wins against on ladder when used correctly. Note this was after adjustments to the team have been made, with the team remaining mostly the same.

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...-celebrating-1500-posts.3650643/#post-9972290

aerobee

Pure Hackmons
It's been around 3 weeks since the introduction of the Gen 7 ladder, and the current VR looks inaccurate from what the general playerbase and I have seen based on the effectiveness of Pokemon on the ladder and outside of it. Mostly including things I've used or seen put in work, or are strong enough on paper when factoring as much of what'd happen in-battle in as possible.

________________________________________________________________________________________

REGULAR VR

:zygarde-complete: S- --> S

By now it's clear that Zygarde-C is a top 3 non-Wonder Guard – it's simultaneously a Huge Power user soft check and a general switch-in to (non-Dark-type?) special setup 'mons, and fulfills its roles to an appreciable degree. Mega Steelix/Mega Slowbro/Type: Null etc. may be better at switching in on one side of the spectrum, but Zygarde-C provides more value overall to the majority of teams and is an easy pick for non-hyper offensive teams. Centralization-wise it's a major reason reason why Ice Shard Huge Power users are prevalent, Huge Power Let's Snuggle Forever sees significant use, and Choice Scarf Shadow Tag users like Mega Rayquaza are common.

:groudon-primal: A+ --> S-

Horrifying Pokemon on spam, and 54% usage on the ladder is telling. Answers to Primal Groudon spam either suck outside of that particular matchup (Water Bubble Water Shuriken), are insane cope options (Magic Guard Ash-Greninja, random Water moves, Mold Breaker hazards), or need either correct/effective guesswork to prevail (No Guard spam dislikes Magic Bounce/Prankster Primal Groudon, Baton Pass actually has an alright matchup but you have to play super carefully/sack when needed, Imposter Chansey can just get muscled through). Wonder Guard Mega Slowbro (OHKOed by Moongeist Beam), Wonder Guard Ferrothorn (dies to V-create), Fur Coat/Prankster Zygarde-C (loses to boosted Huge Power SSS/LTBTS/boosted Let's Snuggle Forever and Ice Shard/Let's Snuggle Forever respectively), Imposter Chansey (use it well), and Choice Scarf Parental Bond users are your best bet, but all of those either lose to major sets or require good positioning, so there are team styles that have a good matchup but still require smart playing. Non-spam sets include setup Huge Power with Ground Memory, Choice Scarf Shadow Tag, and Magic Guard (popular but mediocre), but none of these are anywhere near as prevalent as Primal Groudon spam. Primal Groudon's proved that it's a metagame force in its own right, and deserves a rise to S- rank.

:steelix-mega: A --> A+

The premier pure physical wall, Mega Steelix comes in on basically every Huge Power MMX bar Low Kick/Close Combat/Searing Shot variants, and those have trouble with common Wonder Guards like Mega Slowbro and are competition for slots that beat faster Shadow Tag users, like Ice Shard and Let's Snuggle Forever. Good Spectral Thief user, Imposter trapper with Thousand Waves, Baton Pass 'mon with Ingrain support, and slow pivot with U-turn. Not much else to say.

(:gengar-mega: A+ --> A)?

Moongeist Beam users are really powerful when unchecked, but they're also not that hard to prepare for with 4 really good Wonder Guard switch-ins (Mega Audino, Slaking/Arceus, Meloetta/Oranguru, Alolan Muk), of which Gengar can only realistically hit 1 of due to really wanting a sleep move and Shell Smash(/maybe Tail Glow if you're into that). Also rather hard to justify on hyper offense due to a relative lack of defensive utility and immediate power; this means it's mainly relegated to balances, which I don't think are that great in general. No Guard's great but it still has to choose between Sheer Cold and Fissure and has to contend with Mega Audino/Alolan Muk/Meloetta/Slaking and others of the same typing, though No Guard's really scary and is what makes me unsure on a Gengar drop. Still a powerful 'mon that has numerous alternative sets (Parental Bond/Mold Breaker) and can steal games when needed, but I don't think it's as useful or splashable as the stuff above on the VR.

:mewtwo-mega-y: A+ --> A

Much like NDM, still great but stuff's dropping. Also less valuable when against Primal Groudon spam since outside of the Speed and lack of a Fairy weakness it's kind of a worse MMX.

:necrozma-dusk-mane: A+ --> A

Still very cool but dislikes Primal Groudon spam and the main physical walls of the metagame (Mega Steelix/Mega Slowbro/to an extent Zygarde-C). Also most of my noms are drops anyway and Necrozma doesn't really hold up with Mega Steelix.

:rayquaza-mega: A+ --> A

Again, still quite good but Shadow Tag's the only really common set (I think ladder-esque CFZ Mold Breaker sets have some potential though) and Ice Shard MMX is increasingly common.

(:diancie-mega: A --> A-)?

Not completely sold on this yet, but as others have said in the room/Discord Pixilate sets are pretty weak against non-MMX/Mega Rayquaza offensive 'mons and Magic Guard isn't that common either. Choice Scarf Shadow Tag sets are good from the games I've used it in but compete with Mega Rayquaza, which can OHKO most Zygarde-C and is immune to Arena Trap stuffs and Sticky Web.

:lunala: B --> A-

Perhaps the 3rd most common Innards Out user, behind Chansey and Blissey. Being Spectral Thief/Knock Off-weak is a major asset, and Moongeist Beam, while coverage-reliant against what Wonder Guards could be potential switch-ins, is still pretty scary, especially since it happens to ding Imposter users. Lunalium Z throws Prankster Encore users off. Could run Photon Geyser/LTBTS too, potentially.

:type-null: B --> A-

This is a bit of a stretch, but Type: Null's a cool complement to Zygarde-C/Wonder Guard Mega Slowbro and the like on semistall archetypes, thanks to Moongeist Beam users' coverage bouncing off it unboosted. +2 Mega Gengar deals 60% or 70% with Sludge Bomb and Secret Sword respectively, and Lunala only hits for up to 60% with Secret Sword after Shell Smash, after which Type: Null can just Spectral Thief the boosts (though against the former that often entails sacking itself in the process).

:doublade: UR --> A-

Pretty decent sidegrade to Fur Coat Mega Steelix. You trade a free item slot (and more leeway against the occasional Knock Off user), neutrality against Moongeist Beam, STAB Thousand Waves, and slightly better stats for an innate Shadow Tag immunity, an immunity to Low Kick/Close Combat, and STAB Spectral Thief. In other words, it's a suitable sidegrade, even if slightly less effective than Mega Steelix overall. Doublade's only a genuine sidegrade on non-Mega Slowbro teams (since they stack the same weaknesses and cover very similar matchups due to their typings), but it's still about as easy to fit as Mega Steelix outside of those structures. A- instead of higher because Mega Steelix/Zygarde-C are pretty clearly better Prankster users Doublade (since it's a risk-free Spore for the opponent once Prankster's revealed and Moongeist Beam users, which Mega Steelix could threaten to come in on in a pinch, just drop Doublade instead), I don't rate Fur Coat as highly as most players do, and I'm generally dropping Pokemon in my noms.

:necrozma-ultra: A- --> B

You'd be hard pressed to run this over MMX when the latter already runs Adamant for crucial rolls (ex: Photon Geyser vs. opposing MMX after Stealth Rock, Photon Geyser 2HKO/LTBTS OHKO vs. Zygarde-C, Ice Shard vs. Mega Rayquaza), moveslot compression's gotten more efficient with CFZ/Ice Shard/Sunsteel Strike/Searing Shot/Fighting move usage, and 130 is a valuable Speed tier.

:articuno: C --> B

Magic Bounce guy that's immune to both Sheer Cold and Fissure – Horn Drill/Guillotine therefore have applications, but this is as close as you get to a Sing-immune OHKO-immune 'mon with a free item. Really only suited for faster-paced teams that appreciate a defensive/SubPass Magic Bouncer, though, which limits its options to Baton Pass or maybe some wonky balance. It's honestly better than the majority of Pokemon in B rank but the difficulty of slotting it in means I think B rank is suitable for Articuno for the time being.

:gyarados::gyaradosite: C --> B

Simple Gyarados is an extreme matchup fish but the upside's great enough that one could justify running it as easily as they could some B rank Pokemon, in my opinion. Being immune to Prankster after setup is great (this game, while haxy and with awkward teams on both sides, shows how it can clean after Prankster users are neutralized in some way).

:banette-mega: UR --> B

Benefits from a number of metagame traits: Ghost-type STAB can be spammed if you don't want to sack Banette to Innards Out Chansey/Blissey, Choice Band Huge Power Shadow Sneak goobs MMX, Banette's immune to Shadow Tag allowing it to run Choice Band more easily, and Banette is simultaneously easy to improof and a threat to Imposter-centric teams due to hitting itself with spammable STABs. Checks out on paper and, from games I've watched it do work, in practice.

:sceptile-mega: UR --> B

Primal Groudon spam member, 'nuff said. Magic Guard support's its schtick due to being fast as hell and Spore immune.

:avalugg::blacephalon::cloyster::darmanitan-zen::heracross-mega::magearna: UR --> C

Avalugg/Cloyster are Sheer Cold-immune Magic Bounce users, with the former being really physically bulky and the latter dealing with No Guard Kartana better. Blacephalon, Darmanitan-Z and Magearna aren't bad as Magic Guard users since they capitalize on Moongeist Beam/Photon Geyser/Mind Blown/Sunsteel Strike/Light of Ruin, to hit common Wonder Guards and Zygarde-C while also being easy to Imposter-proof. Mega Heracross OHKOes stuff with Life Orb Huge Power First Impression, though it doesn't do much besides that.

________________________________________________________________________________________

Wonder Guard VR

:gyarados-mega: A+ --> A+/S-

While in my opinion there's a noticeable gap between Mega Audino and all other Wonder Guards, Mega Gyarados is generally pretty good just about anywhere besides semistall and can be both a mixed defensive wall and an effective sweeper. Being immune to Prankster/Ground means Mega Gyarados is generally safe into Zygarde-C and beats every set besides PrankHaze. Always run Power Trip as stab on sweeper sets because you snipe Innards Out Blissey before Shell Smash and OHKO MMX afterwards. Defensive sets are overrated but still solid. Overall very good Wonder Guard with two effective sets worth considering on a variety of archetypes.

TL;DR I personally don't think Mega Gyarados is an S- Wonder Guard but you could make a case for it to rise.

(:slowbro-mega: A --> A+)?

Not sure about this but I think Mega Slowbro's close in splashability to Mega Gyarados/Ash Greninja etc. with actually good physical bulk in addition to Sunsteel Strike/Photon Geyser resistances. Weaknesses are annoying but you can scout them to a pretty good extent with Imposter or Mega Steelix/Zygarde-C, especially when Slowbro works best on fatter archetypes. It's a little harder for Spectral Thief/Moongeist Beam/Beat Up etc. but all Wonder Guards lose to something, and the losing matchups for Slowbro (against physical 'mons) are rather specific. Also does rather well into Primal Groudon spam.

:meloetta::muk-alola::oranguru: S- --> A

These are good but not top tier – Mega Audino existing hurts their viability because it boasts a better typing and has stats better suited to its role. However, Mega Audino and pure Normal-types benefit Meloetta, Alolan Muk and Oranguru because Moongeist Beam users can usually only fit one or two coverage moves to hit the Wonder Guards that Moongeist Beam cannot. Because Mega Audino and Wonder Guard Arceus/Slaking/Type: Null/Chansey etc. as a whole are more prevalent, they usually opt for Secret Sword or Sludge Wave, with them being unable to break Melo/Muk/Oranguru. Meloetta in particular can also run Shell Smash sets but those are generally outdone by Hoopa-U/MMY/NDW depending on what you're looking for. TL;DR these three are mostly outclassed and don't deserve their current rank, but do have useful applications and are still great mons in their own right.

:scizor-mega: A+ --> A/A-

Not the worst, but also not something you'd initially consider when building. Mega Scizor's physical bulk is good but not good enough that it can be depended on against Huge Power users, and offensively it's outshined by Kartana, which can OHKO MMX with minor chip after Shell Smash.

:ferrothorn: B+ --> A-

Very good Wonder Guard to deal with physical sweepers in the short term – Spore immunity also lets you not get screwed over by MMX running the move (should be more common than it is), and lets you run Shed Shell more freely in a metagame where Shadow Tag trappers are prevalent. Can't wall for long but it doesn't need to when it's a really slow pivot (slow enough to function with Spectral Thief) and works best on faster-paced balances.

:necrozma-dawn-wings: B+ --> A-

I'm personally not a NDW believer but I must say that it's gained traction as an offensive Wonder Guard. It's probably the best Moongeist Beam-centric Wonder Guard sweeper (not a high bar but still noteworthy), and crucially is advantageous into Imposter because you 1) have the option of hitting it on the switch, 2) can Imposter-proof with Spooky Plate Judgment + Photon Geyser if necessary, and 3) can even run Ultranecrozium Z + Moongeist Beam (so 2 Mold Breaker moves), which, if Speed is de-EVed for Imposter, allows NDW to always beat Imposter users one-on-one! Better than the 'mons around it (though how much better is a matter of debate), so I figured why not.

:celesteela: B- --> B+/A-

Physical setup switch-in that only really fears Fire/random Electric/boosted Huge Power Mold Breaker moves. Not bad at all, no idea why it's in B- hell.

:blissey::chansey: A- --> B+

These are great on paper, but unfortunately suffer from the prevalence of Innards Out blobs and Secret Sword. Blissey/Chansey are mostly relegated to dealing with the occasional special Photon Geyser sweeper or Mold Breaker Mega Gengar (without Secret Sword) due to their disappointing physical bulk; as these aren't the most common, you'd rather be running something else. Innards Out also screws these over because Blissey/Chansey are sturdy non-Secret Sword special 'mon switch-ins either way, so you'd struggle to find reasons to use Wonder Guard, especially when already Innards Out deters No Guard to an extent.

:type-null: A- --> B+

Fairly good at walling stuff, but why are you using this over 1) Magic Bounce Type: Null (immune to Spore/Lovely Kiss and Shadow Tag Encore stuff) or 2) Arceus (free item slot)? You do slow pivot more effectively but having more leeway against Shadow Tag seems more valuable in general.

:swampert-mega: B --> B+

Actually pretty good into Sunsteel Strike users besides Grass STAB Kartana or Photon Geyser/LTBTS NDM, and is immune to Fissure unlike Primal Groudon/Mega Steelix. Also physically bulkier than Celesteela and Ferrothorn and has respectable Attack and STAB Thousand Arrows, though it does struggle with Photon Geyser/Moongeist Beam-centric sweepers.

:steelix-mega: B- --> B+

Very good Sunsteel Strike/physical Photon Geyser sweeper switch-in. What differentiates it from Mega Slowbro or Prankster Mega Steelix are a 4x resistance to Stealth Rock, an immunity to Power Trip (and Stored Power I guess) shenanigans, and the ability to Imposter-proof with Thousand Waves if needed. Spectral Thief/Will-O-Wisp/Strength Sap are solid enough tools for Steelix to not strictly need Prankster/Fur Coat to deal with threats in my experience, and Wonder Guard Mega Steelix pulls its weight enough that it deserves B+ rank.

:golisopod::incineroar: UR --> B-/C

Golisopod does well against the most popular version of Primal Groudon spam, since that team doesn't immediately threaten it aside from Huge Power LTBTS. Also immune to Grass coverage (useful vs. unscouted Kartana) and Pursuit, which differentiates it from Mega Slowbro. Incineroar's basically a physical Mega Houndoom, and, while less effective overall, can be justified if you try hard enough thanks to V-create and Power Trip. The latter deals 99.7% max to Innards Out Chansey when unboosted which is pretty funny.

Ransei

Garde Mystik
Ok so I've been trying to reach GXE peak for several days using various accounts. 2 days ago I brought two different accounts to 88.8 then got them both dropped. Yesterday, I ran a third account and launched my way up to 87. I tackled the ladder on that account this morning and not only reached GXE peak, but the first 90 GXE this ladder has ever had so far.
Screenshot (254).png

1000002424.png

1000002509.png

The account I used is named Ultra Hackmons. It even started with the most insane W/L the ladder had yet, at 29-1, before I lost a couple more games.
I used multiple different teams for this, including Cats and Rabbits. I forgot what team I started the account off with, but this is what I blew through my last bits with https://pokepast.es/fe655095cb964544 (renamed: https://pokepast.es/aaa57816950a1562). I swapped out of Cats and Rabbits when encountering more Hypnosis Sheer Cold Fissure and Primal Groudon on ladder, which were bad matchups. Still works in most cases.

The team I used for 90 is a variant of https://pokepast.es/0d58fdc52a70adbf which I used to reach 88.8 GXE on one of the accounts I tried with 2 days ago, but the new variant above is a lot safer since Chansey is a better extra failsafe for set up spammers and I don't have to get countered as hard by some random Evoboost Pixilate Mega Diancie.

I also tried using https://pokepast.es/da378703ff83fa88 and https://pokepast.es/2d6b0bdf270a4f48 but they were a lot riskier. I find all of these teams to be at least good.

With that in mind I've also laddered over 600, maybe even 700 games on the ladder and my experience has warped my perception of plenty Pokemon on the viability rankings so far, including in ways that will shock most of the other council members. I made a new set. Here it is

Art by BlueberryBlanket

Welcome to the Pure Hackmons Viability Rankings. This is one of the many resources made to help players determine what can be considered viable in the metagame. These rankings are placed in alphabetical order. Any ability ranked is placed last for convenience. Anyone is free to put their thoughts on any Pokémon and debate on whether or not they need a rank change as long as they are reasonable. Provide clear evidence for reasons why a Pokémon should have a change in rank, and be civil about it. We want what we can believe to be closer to fact than subjective opinions.

S Rank
S Rank
Chansey
Blissey
Mewtwo-Mega-X
‎ Zygarde-Complete
Wonder Guard
S Rank
S
Audino-Mega

A Rank
A+
Gyarados-Mega
Meloetta
‎ Necrozma-Dawn-Wings
Slowbro-Mega
Oranguru

A
Arceus
Greninja-Ash
Slaking

A-
‎Ferrothorn
Scizor-Mega
Kartana
Magearna
Mewtwo-Mega-X
Mewtwo-Mega-Y

B Rank
B+
Cresselia
Celesteela
Gardevoir-Mega
Groudon-Primal
Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Houndoom-Mega
Hoopa-Unbound
Muk-Alola
Necrozma-Dusk-Mane
Sableye-Mega
Solgaleo

B
Blissey
Chansey
Pheromosa
Yveltal

B-
Aggron-Mega
Deoxys-Speed
Kyogre-Primal
‎ Lopunny-Mega
Steelix-Mega

C Rank
Beedrill-Mega
Bisharp
‎ Deoxys-Attack
Dialga
Ditto
Escavalier
‎ Regigigas
Sableye @ Sablenite
Swampert-Mega

S-
Groudon-Primal

A Rank
A+ Rank
Gengar-Mega
Greninja-Ash
Steelix-Mega

A Rank
Doublade
Regigigas
Slaking
Solgaleo
Mewtwo-Mega-Y
Rayquaza-Mega

A- Rank
Celesteela
Deoxys-Attack
Deoxys-Speed
Diancie-Mega
Gyarados-Mega
Kartana
Lopunny-Mega
Lunala
Necrozma-Dusk-Mane
Slowbro-Mega

B Rank
Arceus
Banette-Mega
Cresselia
Excadrill
Giratina
Giratina-Origin
Guzzlord
Ho-Oh
Kyogre-Primal
Kyurem-Black
Metagross-Mega
Necrozma-Ultra
Registeel
Sceptile-Mega
Yveltal

C Rank
Articuno
Gardevoir-Mega
Groudon @ Red Orb
Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Lugia
Pheromosa
Pikachu
Shedinja
Tyranitar-Mega
Xerneas

Ok gonna be honest I don't know much about the Pokemon below A- because I haven't been using them yet and they are honestly mid, but let me explain the high ranks. Some of these explanations I'll just copy/paste off a previous post. Others, I'll add in more information.

Chansey

Chansey is the best Pokemon in this metagame. Between being able to scout with Imposter, harshly punish sweepers who lack improof or had improof KOed, and being the best user of the oppressive Innards Out ability, Chansey makes itself the best extra failsafe in the metagame to throw in. However, Chansey isn't extremely dominant as many teams can get away with not using Chansey, and Chansey is not particularly easy to always throw into a team. For this, I cannot put Chansey higher than S, and there isn't a significant gap between it and the rest of the Pokemon in its rank. If you can throw in Chansey however, I recommend you do.

Blissey

Chansey is better overall but Blissey performs closely enough to Chansey to be within the same subrank. It's also not completely outclassed, as the 10 extra HP can either be used to overcome Innards Out Chansey while it's Imposter, or to overcome Imposter Chansey while it's Innards Out. Small niche but when it's nearly as threatening as Chansey in every other way I find it difficult to rank lower.

Mewtwo-Mega-X
Mega Mewtwo X is the definitive breaker of the game, boasting an absurd 194 base attack which lets it have 1052 raw attack at most with Huge Power. While there are plenty of threatening nukes this game has in store to prepare for, this is the ultimate one, as it's not only fast and the most powerful, but not a complete glass cannon. The biggest defensive Pokemon of the game can sometimes just drop if Mega Mewtwo X has the right coverage and it's definitely a stand-out Pokemon compared to everything below S. It's not higher however, because there are plenty of Pokemon like Solgaleo, Primal Groudon, Deoxys-Attack, Dusk Mane, Kartana, Mega Banette, etc who can do Mega Mewtwo X's job decently well each while having their own niches about Mega Mewtwo X.

Zygarde-Complete
This Pokemon is outright top 3 minimum, and I argue top 2 in the metagame because of the extreme value of its defensive utility. This utility is mandatory for high consistency in the format unless you are relying on matchup fishing cheese. Sure offense can run through its way without strong tank but the offense is never going to be as consistent in the long-run here. Trust me I've tried it and I've seen it. Zygarde-Complete isn't the only massively tanky wall but it's the best because it hardcore invalidates more things than anything else this metagame has to throw at it and you have to jump through hurdles in order to bypass this Pokemon, on levels beyond anything even Mega Mewtwo X can accomplish. The best countermeasures against Zygarde-Complete either devolve into using an Ice-Type move specifically for it and only it, running extremely powerful Fairy-type STAB/coverage, or timing a Z-Move at it correctly. If you fail the Z-Move launch, you can easily lose against a Zygarde-Complete. Not to mention Zygarde-Complete even has insane workarounds for its countermeasures. I've ran both Misty Terrain and Misty Surge Zygarde-Complete, which rolled through Clangorous Soulblaze Mega Rayquaza. I've ran Reflect, which makes the vast majority of Mega Mewtwo X in this metagame shed tears, even those running Huge Power Play Rough. I've seen people run Will-O-Wisp, which accomplishes the as Reflect. If you dare even run multiple things against Ice Shard/Ice Move Mega Mewtwo X, Zygarde-Complete can just straight up win games. In the hundreds of games I've played for Gen 7 Pure Hackmons, Zygarde-Complete has hardcarried me more than anyone else, and I've used MMX almost as many times. The difference is that Mega Mewtwo X applies a lot of offensive pressure and can break through the vast majority of Pokemon very well, and even win games with the right coverage, while Zygarde-Complete just invalidates 90% of the game by existing, while being able to work around some answers with filler options it holds using Prankster or Fur Coat. Mega Mewtwo X's job is replaceable my various other attacking Pokemon, whereas Zygarde-Complete does not have any that can do the same without some major cracks they have. Zygarde-Complete's main job is using Haze or Spectral Thief to get rid of stat boosts, then if it can, trap them with Thousand Waves (may even use Anchor Shot) in order to seal a full on 1:1 win against the target. If you use its 4th moveslot wisely you can make even Mega Mewtwo X cry as they sit there and do nothing but drop. tl;dr This Pokemon not only hardcarries players but forces you to go out of your way in order to solve it in a way not even Mega Mewtwo X can accomplish. It's criminally overlooked because it lacks offensive pressure, but actually taking hits in the metagame and clearing out the ludicrously common stat boosts is more important than carrying offensive pressure on the level of Mega Mewtwo X. Mega Mewtwo X is even easier to solve because it's a lot more frail, giving it the risk of getting revenge killed by priority/Imposter or dropping to random choice scarf attackers/CFZs/Extreme Evoboost. There are more opportunities to handle a Mega Mewtwo X than there are to Zygarde, and Zygarde for sure contributes to winning the game more unless you are jumping through hoops and hurdles to counter it. Same logic will always be applied to Mega Mewtwo X, except with Mega Mewtwo X it's just easier.

Wonder Guard

Wonder Guard is not as great as it was in Gen 6 but I'd argue it's about as necessary if not more due to how much more threatening No Guard users have become. Wonder Guards are not as consistent due to Mold Breaker moves being able to bypass them and common abusers having coverage to break past moldy resistances, but there are a small handful of Wonder Guards who carry players well enough to where it's still an incredibly dominant ability.
S
Audino-Mega
This is the definitive best Wonder Guard in the metagame due to its ability to work incredible well in team compositions and compliment most of what you can throw in. Its main weakness is Sunsteel Strike, but despite it being a moldy move, this weakness is incredibly overstated. People act like having major physical walls who take Sunsteel Strike isn't mandatory for high consistency in the metagame, and in addition, there's Zygarde-Complete, Mega Steelix, Mega Gyarados, Ash Greninja, Doublade, Primal Groudon, Kartana, Solgaleo, Necrozma Dusk Mane, Imposter Chansey, Innards Out, Mega Scizor, Ferrothorn, etc. All of the best walls in the game and more are able to soak in a Sunsteel Strike and even tackle the Pokemon using it to a considerable extent, not to mention Mega Audino is tanky enough to tank Sunsteel Strikes from almost anything that's not a Huge Power Mega Mewtwo X. It can even run Babiri Berry Counter and annihilate Sunsteel Strike Mega Mewtwo X. Its one biggest weakness is something that's not only played around with so many options, but has to be played around regardless of what Wonder Guard you are using in order for your team to stay highly consistent. Its other weakness is poison-type, which not only is a liability to commonly run in team compositions due to sacrificing momentum (via spore/lovely kiss) or sacrificing better coverage (Secret Sword for Wonder Guard Mega Gyarados, Wonder Guard Arceus, Chansey/Blissey), but can actually be tanked by Mega Audino if any notable special sweeper outside Mega Gengar uses it at x2 Atk. Everything I said in this post still holds true, but what does Mega Audino have to offer specifically? It's a long and complicated explanation, so buckle up.

Mega Audino carries the single best type combination a Wonder Guard could have in this game, due to aforementioned reasons, but the fact that once you burn out Sunsteel Strike users with its partners, Mega Audino straight up just wins by walling everything else and wasting PP/chipping with U-Turn. It only has 2 weaknesses, with one being particularly uncommon and the other being hard to KO Mega Audino with unless you are able to play around numerous other Pokemon. I've had many games where I've either lost because my Sunsteel Strike users were down by a quick offense Pokemon or won because I've taken down their quick offense Pokemon and sealed out everything else from attacking. Mega Audino's main specialty is walling Moongeist Beam and Menacing Moonraze Maelstrom Pokemon, instantly making it the best special wall in the entire game alongside Zygarde-Complete. Special Attackers are also incredibly overlooked. They are absolutely great in this game because they're able to rip through almost anything after a Shell Smash boost. The combination of Moongeist Beam + Secret Sword alone is nigh-perfect coverage that's able to handle the large stack of Pokemon weak to either up high in the viability rankings. We're talking Mega Mewtwos, Deoxys, Solgaleo, Dusk Mane Mega Gengar, Dawn Wings, Mega Gyarados, Arceus, and Ash Greninja. It's otherwise left unresisted by every Pokemon bar just a few Wonder Guards, leaving the vast majority of Pokemon just, one-shotted after a Shell Smash. Mega Ray can't take a x2 Moongeist from Dawn Wings or Mega Gengar. Primal Groudon can't. Mega Steelix struggles to take powerful special hits in the game and can be one-shotted by Menacing Moonraze Maelstrom. To be quite frank, Moongeist Beam is the 2nd best mold breaker move in the game, accessible to every special attacker, and easily spammable on many teams. Photon Geyser's worse mostly because only 1 Pokemon is truly great with the move, and it's otherwise outclassed in effectiveness by Sunsteel Strike or Moongeist Beam, depending on whether the attacker is physical or special. Having something to take Moongeist Beam is about as critical as having something to take Sunsteel Strike, except the best physical tanks in the game can't handle Moongeist Beam or its Z-Move counterpart as well and there's no incredibly good non-wonder guard special counterpart, so it's down to a Wonder Guard to tank it best. Dark-types either get rolled by Secret Sword or are less consistent due to their weakness to Fissure. People claim it's overrated because it lacks offensive pressure. Here's the thing, actually taking hits, including boosted ones, in a metagame as volatile in Gen 7, is much more important than a Wonder Guard applying offensive pressure. Mega Audino straight up wins against the vast majority of special attackers in the game because it can just take their hits, recover, and either clear them out or pivot to a powerful offensive answer, while special attackers do nothing against the Mega Audino. The physical Pokemon get answered by Pokemon that handle them better than every Wonder Guard in the game. Mega Audino ends up contributing more to the consistency of success than any random attacking Wonder Guard, especially with Innards Out being around and easily allowing Wonder Guards drop in an instant only for you to get steamrolled by a No Guard the next turn.

Other reasons why Mega Audino is effective includes the low attack it has in order to chip out Innards Out HP from Chansey/Blissey. Other Innards Outs exist in the game as well but those two are by far the best and most used by a wide margin. Mega Audino's speed also helps it outpivot almost anything in the game, and its bulky enough to tank even super effective hits from the vast majority of Pokemon. If it's running a berry, it can do so for every Pokemon bar perhaps Choice Band Searing Sunraze Smash. No other Wonder Guard has this many positives in the game, and none come without more severe liabilities than it in the game.

There is one more thing I have to address, and it's the expectations of playing with and around Mega Audino vs the expectations of playing around every other Wonder Guard. Sunsteel Strike and Searing Sunraze Smash users are very common in this metagame, and they would all love to target Mega Audino. You can easily predict who these Sunsteel Strike users are because every powerful physical attacker in the game wants this move. Against these physical attackers, you can switch into a top tier wall and handle the opposing threat in most cases.

When you're trying run a Pokemon that resists a mold breaker move, the physical threat will often run coverage for it. You switch in thinking you are safe, without immediately making the play to a hard wall, only for your Wonder Guard to be quickly shut down afterwards, drastically increasing your chances of losing the game. Because they have further weaknesses, they have more opportunities to get hit by moves in the game. Most Wonder Guard Pokemon who don't resist Sunsteel Strike don't even take it much better than Mega Audino, due to the sheer difference in bulk between them, and the ones that do take it otherwise get hit by a surprise super effective coverage move out of nowhere, like Close Combat, Play Rough, Sacred Fire, Knock Off, or Drain Punch. Using Mega Audino is a lot easier and a lot more reliable than trying to use Wonder Guards that soak up physical mold breaker moves, and all Wonder Guards who attempt to wall mold breaker moves are only going to last so long in comparison.

For Oranguru, U-Turn and Knock Off are its weakness. A Mega Mewtwo X has Knock Off, one-shot while the Oranguru expected to tank a move. This move also provides utility by removing items from essential tanks in the game, such as Doublade/Chansey's Eviolite, Zygarde-Complete/Mega Steelix/Mega Slowbro's Safety Goggles, and Mega Slowbro's Shed Shell. Oranguru can also be pivoted around a lot more easily and has to risk getting Pursuit trapped, but those are less of a bigger deal.

For Mega Gyarados, it's weak to Fairy, Electric, Fighting, and Bug. If the physical Pokemon already runs a fighting-type coverage move or a fairy-type coverage move your team is already in bigger shambles than if you ran any Wonder Guard without its weaknesses, and the amount of Pokemon who can switch into that combination of coverage is a lot lower.

Physical attacking Pokemon don't have to run super effective coverage for Mega Audino, not only because they already have super effective coverage via Sunsteel Strike, but because they can't run any other option. Again, Sunsteel Strike walls are mandatory for very high consistency in this game and there are so many options to choose from, including all of the most physically defensive Pokemon. The combination of physical attackers having no other choice and the variety of this metagame's walls means not all of those walls can be handled consistently, leaving even Sunsteel Strike attackers to have a more terrible time with Mega Audino than other Wonder Guards.

On a final note, any random physical attacker who isn't extremely powerful ends up having their Sunsteel Strike walled by Mega Audino.

There is no easy hardcounter answer to Mega Audino that'll take it down by surprise and leave it less consistent. With the many Sunsteel Strike and Searing Sunraze Smash physical attackers in every corner, this metagame is already as unfavorable for Mega Audino as it could get, and yet this Pokemon still holds up immensely. Why? Because everything I said here is fact.

I'm not even saying this out of any bias because Mega Audino is my favorite Pokemon. I'm saying this because this is the very most accurate reflection of its case in Gen 7 Pure Hackmons.

Mega Audino often gets downplayed in discussions due to its passivity. Let me tell you this, Wonder Guards applying offensive pressure was never the main job of Wonder Guard. It will never be the main job of Wonder Guard. Any disagreements solely come off a lack of understanding of Wonder Guard's purpose. I'm not saying offensive Wonder Guards are bad, but I'm saying a Wonder Guard being downplayed because it's too passive solely comes from a lack of understanding of this ability's real purpose. Wonder Guards are meant to handle the job of a cleric, hazard setter, defogger, phazer, offense invalidator, and slow pivoters. They're even more useful with this purpose overall, especially as these roles are often difficult to slap into any other Pokemon.

tl;dr
- Best type combination possible in this game (I'm not saying it's perfect)
- Has high enough bulk to not take Sunsteel Strike much worse than contenders. Heck, Huge Power Sunsteel Strike Mega Mewtwo X can still 2HKO Mega Gyarados, Oranguru, and Meloetta.
- Has high enough bulk to take x2 SpA Poison-type moves from Pokemon that aren't Mega Gengar + poison coverage requires a great sacrifice to moveslots, making it less usable.
- low speed to build lots of momentum, playing around faster Wonder Guards and faster Pokemon in general
- low attack to chip Innards Out Chansey/Blissey
- Can just sit there and win games after your Sunsteel Strike answers beat Sunsteel Strike Pokemon. This same logic does not apply to other Wonder Guards because the biggest attackers in the game rely on side coverage to beat them, which in a lot of cases, simultaneously handle the best walls in the game, while the best walls of the game do Mega Gyarados's mold breaker walling job better.

No Wonder Guard is perfect, and you're not always going to want to use Mega Audino as one in your team. It is however, the best a Wonder Guard can possibly get in the long-run due to the nature of this metagame.

A+
Gyarados-Mega
The more I played this game the more I realized this Pokemon was... more overrated than we thought. We thought it was great because it's able to clear through teams by itself with ease but the issue was, these weren't high level games. In high level games where the opponent is using Prankster Haze (very critical for most team compositions imo), Mega Gyarados just sits there and cries, without being able to do anything at all. Not pivoting, not being a cleric, not recovering, not really anything except desperately trying to Shell Smash around the biggest tanks of the game and failing. It has to rely on Power Trip to work effectively, which is a huge liability once you get past most lower level games. Additionally, coverage against Mega Gyarados have been more common lately, with Mega Mewtwo Xs now running more Fighting coverage, and a lot of random Pokemon running Let's Snuggle Forever. I've seen arguments where people claimed the same argument about team composition for Mega Audino can be made for Mega Gyarados, however that's not really nearly as much of the case, because many of its weaknesses are shared with the best possible switch-ins in the game. If the Mega Mewtwo X is running Choice Band Close Combat, Mega Gyarados, Mega Steelix, and Zygarde-Complete are out. If the target is running fairy coverage, Zygarde-Complete cannot switch into that either. It's still placed in A+ however, for its ability to triumph over plenty of teams, being able to assist in answering physical attackers without proper coverage to an extent (it can't easily answer Choice Band Mega Mewtwo X teams), and A+ in general not being that high of a bar in this metagame. Wonder Guards in Gen 7 are overall more flawed.

Meloetta & Oranguru

I've seen and used Oranguru around lately and tbh it's not a bad Wonder Guard. It works for if you want to Imposterproof teams for Sludge Wave against Mega Audino, or for if you've fought the occasional Sludge Wave. However they come with more liabilities overall, such as not being bulky enough to take physical mold breaker moves all that well despite resisting Photon Geyser and being neutral to Sunsteel Strike. They are also weak to Dark-type, which enables them to get KOed by viable utility moves such as Knock Off, Pursuit, and U-Turn. All much more dangerous and more difficult to fully overcome in the long-run. Meloetta is here because it works mostly the same but it's very slightly slightly tankier. Oranguru is a bit better because its slow speed allows it to outpivot more Wonder Guards, including Meloetta itself.

Necrozma-Dawn-Wings
As the biggest Necrozma Dawn Wings user in the metagame by far, I have some things to say. Firstly, this Pokemon is excruciatingly overlooked. B+, even A- is far too low for this Pokemon, as she easily pummels through high level games in this metagame even better than Mega Gyarados does and really any other Wonder Guard sweeper tbh, honestly. Much of it comes from what I posted in the essay about Mega Audino above, but I genuinely believe Dawn Wings is a better sweeper for high level games than Mega Gyarados. The difference is that STAB Moongeist Beam + Lunalium Z Menacing Moonraze Maelstrom is not as easy to handle as Shell Smash Power Trip. Against defensive walls, Shell Smash Mega Gyarados cannot do anything. It can't even run Ice-type attacks because its primary job involves it imposterproofing itself. Against defensive walls, Dawn Wings can try to overcome them with that Lunalium Z it has in its back, or with various coverage like Moonblast/Ice Beam/Fleur Cannon. It's usually answered through an Imposterproof like Mega Audino, Oranguru, or Dark-type. In addition, Dawn Wings's weaknesses aren't as severe as people make it out to be. It can survive random spectral thiefs and knock offs from most Pokemon at +0, requiring something in the likes of Mega Mewtwo X or a Huge Power physical attacker in order to take care of it. Similar to Oranguru, except this one can sweep while Oranguru serves defensive roles.

Slowbro-Mega
Honestly this was more aerobee's suggestion instead of my own and I haven't really used Mega Slowbro myself, but I agreed it could be up here because it's one of the main pillars for what's needed to be consistent in the metagame, alongside Prankster/Fur Coat Mega Steelix, Zygarde-Complete, and Doublade. You need an extremely defensive wall that is able to take physical mold breaker moves and while this is the worst one of those pillars, it can still be very useful. The big reason why this isn't higher is for much of the same reasons as Mega Gyarados regarding weaknesses, plus being weak to Moongeist Beam is actually much worse than being weak to Sunsteel Strike despite not being as common. There are a lot less switchins to Moongeist Beam users than there are to Sunsteel Strike users.

A

Greninja-Ash
Ash Greninja is like Mega Gyarados except it sacrifices bulk for speed. This lets it outspeed Mega Mewtwo X and Mega Gengar but in return it's much less able to take a Sunsteel Strike very well and is even more prone to getting nuked by random coverage. With that being said, A isn't a very high bar for Wonder Guards in this metagame, and Ash Greninja is likely better than everything below.

Arceus & Slaking
I haven't used Arceus but seeing it on ladder has proven it can be pretty consistent. It normally runs a lot of utility options and can even survive a Secret Sword from weaker special attackers, posing as a dangerous threat against them out of nowhere. It takes Moongeist Beam and is one of the reasons why Secret Sword is the best special coverage. It's also bulky and fast enough to be a good setup passer. As far as how much this justifies being A? Honestly A rank Wonder Guards are ones who are fine. It's not a high bar. Slaking is similar to Arceus except bulkier but not as fast.

A-

Ferrothorn & Scizor-Mega
Ferrothorn and Mega Scizor are ok. They can take hits that aren't fire, or in Ferrothorn's case, Close Combat. Ferrothorn innately blocks Spore with Grass-types while Mega Scizor has more sweeper potential, though to be honest sweepers who mostly depend on Sunsteel Strike are not great. Mega Scizor can alternatively carry utility like Will-O-Wisp to annoy physical attackers, Stealth Rock to set up, Defog to clear hazards, and use STAB U-Turn to pivot, even though this can also come at the liability of losing to an Innards Out Chansey. They have positives but their negatives make them more inconsistent than above ranks, in that random Fire-type coverage is crazy common among physical and special attackers and these two get nuked by it almost every time. I had them at A last time but upon using Mega Scizor I realized that I undermined the fire weakness a bit. Wonder Guards being weak to fire hurts a ton in this metagame. In addition, Mega Scizor can be overwhelmed by Choice Band mold breaker attackers so not being immune to any of the mold breaker attacks doesn't do enough for this Pokemon to be ranked much higher.

Kartana
Wonder Guard Kartana's decent but not great. On paper it looks as if it could be since it has the potential to set up and sweep with Sunsteel Strike. In reality you get hardwalled in so many circumstances by a Mega Slowbro, Mega Steelix, Zygarde-Complete, or Doublade, one of the pillars most teams need to survive. In addition Kartana does not take Moongeist Beam well at all and can be overpowered by physical attackers who carry common fighting or fire-type coverage. I tried quite a lot to make Wonder Guard Kartana work, but kept coming to the reality that it's just not very consistent in comparison to every Wonder Guard above. It's better to run Steel-type Wonder Guards for utility rather than an attempt to sweep. Additionally, it has all the same problems as Ferrothorn but worse. I'm putting it up in A- because it's also not horrid and you don't want to run a Wonder Guard much lower rank than this.

Magearna
I'd say Magearna just happens to make it here as it can be a formidable sweeper when the circumstances are set right, and it can make those circumstances happen more easily than Kartana, Mega Mewtwos, and Mega Scizor due to using its special attack for coverage against its workarounds. For example, can run a powerful Surf to beat Primal Groudon and is otherwise able to pull of mixed very well due to Moonblast being a powerful Fairy-type STAB and Sunsteel Strike breaking through Wonder Guards. I cannot rank it any higher however due to its weakness to Fissure and how bad being weak to Fire-type moves could get, but I found it to be better at its job than the offensive Wonder Guards in this same rank. Additionally, A- in Gen 7 does not mean a Wonder Guard is great, just usable to a decent extent I guess.

Mewtwo-Mega-X &
Mewtwo-Mega-Y

Upon using both Wonder Guard Mega Mewtwo X and Kartana, I find Mega Mewtwo X a little better than Kartana since it's bulkier, faster, and hits harder overall, being able to much more reliably use its coverage and STAB. Mega Mewtwo X is decent for breaking and sweeping, but cannot switch into very powerful attackers from either side. It tends to run Focus Sash. Mega Mewtwo Y is a similar case in this aspect, but is rather ran as a lead or hazard setter of some sort and is about equally as decent. (This take is outdated so take it with a grain of salt. However I think it's still around this)

Lower than A-
Muk-Alola

This Pokemon is overvalued for a job it cannot perform very well, honestly. When trying to be a defensive Wonder Guard, being weak to Fissure is something you absolutely don't ever want, especially in Gen 7, where No Guards are running more rampant and are down to use Hypnosis Sheer Cold Fissure. In addition, this Pokemon's roles are outshined by that of Mega Audino and Oranguru's, and despite not being weak to Sunsteel Strike, it still gets pretty much destroyed by Huge Power Sunsteel Strike. I have never used this Pokemon. I've only battled it, but I've battled it numerous times. I've never had difficulty against it in battle, but experiencing it and most importantly, the environment of Gen 7 Pure Hackmons made me realize this is not a Wonder Guard you'd want to run on most occasions. I've lost more games than I'd want to admit due to running Fissure weak Wonder Guards and even had to stop using Cats & Rabbits because of it, but the Fissure weak Wonder Guards I've used provided more value to the game than Alolan Muk does overall. There's no consistent switch-in around these as well. It's just as simple as Spore/Hypnosis + Sheer Cold + Gastro Acid + Fissure and Muk teams are just, done.

Sableye-Mega
This Pokemon does nothing of value for a Wonder Guard in this metagame. Yes, it takes Photon Geyser, only to get nuked by a Sunsteel Strike, Moongeist Beam, or extremely common fairy-type coverage. Aside from that, not much else. Maybe it can slow pivot better than most other Wonder Guards? but it's consistently taking attacks from powerful Pokemon in the metagame.

I'm not really sure where to rank Wonder Guards lower than A- as of yet, including Alolan Muk and Mega Sableye.
S-

Groudon-Primal

See aerobee's post above. I had to suffer experiencing this in battles against Primal Groudon spam.

A+
Gengar-Mega
After settling out the metagame some more I realized Mega Gengar by itself isn't what I'd envision in an S- rank Pokemon yet, but it is the best overall Moongeist Beam user in this metagame alongside Wonder Guard Dawn Wings. Mega Gengar comes with a wide variety of tools to have it work. It can run Magic Guard to work arounds Innards Out, Parental Bond to work around Focus Sash, Shadow Tag to gain more opportunities to set up, maybe even Protean to get more STABs, Dazzling to avoid getting revenge killed by Shadow Sneak, Prankster to outprioritize revenge killers, No Guard, etc. There's a trickload of things a Mega Gengar could pull off, with much of it not being explored yet. Heck it's even a top contender for Comatose Whirlwind as its ghost type makes it immune to Extreme Speed and its SpA allows it to hit Menacing Moonraze Maelstrom very hard at +0. Kartana still gets OHKOed by Moongeist Beam. Mega Steelix dies to Moongeist Beam at x2, Moongeist Beam + Secret Sword breaks past almost every viable Wonder Guard, and the ones it doesn't can make a fantastic core with Mega Gengar to imposterproof it. If Zygarde-Complete threatens it the Pokemon can launch out Moonblast or Light of Ruin as well. It's a very splashable Pokemon for many balance and HO teams alike past a point any A+ Pokemon or lower can reasonably compare to. Mega Gengar is Deoxys-Attack on steroids as a sweeper, but doesn't totally outclass since Deoxys-Attack is not only better at breaking but can attack physically. Mega Gengar is so good for cleaning.

Greninja-Ash
Ash Greninja is incredible. When it comes to dealing with spam it's second to best behind Chansey and Blissey. It can Water Shuriken both Primal Groudon and Deoxys-Attack away with either Magic Guard Shell Smash or just straight up Water Bubble, while having enough attack, special attack, and speed to deal with a large range of Pokemon on its own. It can pick to fight Dusk Mane, it tends to run Sunsteel Strike for Mega Audino, it can Close Combat against Mega Gyarados, or run Moongeist Beam, Photon Geyser, Fighting coverage, you name it. Maybe a surprise Dragon Ascent for Mega Mewtwo X? I almost lost to a Mold Breaker Water Spout Ash Greninja. It's also a great No Guard! Ash Greninja is probably the single most flexible Pokemon in the metagame, although it's not super dominant in one particular category. I spammed this Pokemon so much before topping ladder from 1600s and it just could not disappoint. Another user even topped the ladder running 3 Ash Greninja. One very notable thing about this Pokemon is the ability to switch into any of the 3 Mold Breaker moves while being able to run a Focus Sash to give itself a set up turn if it doesn't get hit. It's also faster than the majority of Pokemon, including top threats like Mega Gengar and Mega Mewtwo X, making it a little trickier to play around.

To update on this ^, I'm also the biggest Ash Greninja user in the metagame and from my experiences with it, even just having Choice Specs Water Bubble Oceanic Operetta Ash Greninja ensures it will have some value to many games, as it can take on titans such as Zygarde-Complete and even an Imposter Chansey transformed into Mega Mewtwo X.

Steelix-Mega
I had it at S- last time but as I played more, Mega Mewtwo Xs and other physical attackers started running moves Mega Steelix is weak to, which are all ones much more useful overall than the Ice-type moves Zygarde-Complete has. Mega Steelix is this high because it has ridiculous defenses that can work to invalidate many physical attackers in the metagame, however it is more prone to special attacks and the more common fighting-type, fire-type, ground-type coverages, leaving to it being noticeably less consistent in the long-run.

A

Doublade

Mega Steelix is slightly better overall due to having a little bit more bulk, not being weak to Moongeist Beam, and being able to hold items outside Eviolite. However, Doublade is still a very good Pokemon that'll get Mega Steelix's job done in the same manner, while solving its biggest weakness in the Fighting-type. Fighting-type STAB/coverage have been more common lately so even Mega Steelix has had a harder time, but Doublade has shown to be quite effective in this game at about the same level most of the time. Its role is more valuable than the Pokemon below it on the VR, possibly more than the rest of the Pokemon in A, but it's a little bit worse than Mega Steelix on average.

This post is getting long enough so I'm going to stop here, may explain the rest and below later on

Last edited:

aerobee

Pure Hackmons
https://pokepast.es/376a1a0243512b6d
ok so what about this. my issues with the original set is that sceptile's lack of physical attack. I do not consider this better then the original team, as I am sure there are unforseen reasons for the original set. however I just want to see what people will think of it
Hey, so as the creator of the original a few things from looking at the Sceptile set:

- Wood Hammer is stronger Leaf Blade without any drawbacks thanks to Magic Guard.
- I'm not sure why you would want an explicitly physical Sceptile here. Most of the defensive metagame is physically defensive thanks to Huge Power MMX/Primal Groudon etc's prevalence, meaning special sets that hit as hard are generally more potent threats, especially against non-Wonder Guards. Pursuit OHKOes Innards Out Chansey (252 Atk Sceptile-Mega Pursuit (40 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0- Def 0 IVs Chansey: 702-826 (99.7 - 117.3%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO) and 2HKOes Innards Out Blissey. Steam Eruption in particular also hits Imposter Transformed into Primal Groudon, a major threat.
- Sceptile's purpose is to act as a safeguard against the combination of hazards + strong attackers (PDon spam dislikes negation of Focus Sash despite the mon's bulk), and against runaway sweepers running sleep, like Magic Guard Mega Gengar or some offensive Primal Groudon sets on balance, thanks to its Spore immunity. I wouldn't place too much emphasis on damage Sceptile would deal against most of the metagame, especially as potential sweeper sets fall flat against defensive teams even with a setup move like Tail Glow.
- Running anything other than Focus Sash prevents Sceptile from freely using Defog/Spectral Thief for whatever it needs to, in a pinch. You won't live a hit against a strong enough threat that OHKOes Sceptile. A Choice item here gives the opponent a free turn, especially after the damage dealt reveals Choice Band, which is especially detrimental on a hyperoffensive team like Primal Groudon spam.

Interesting idea, and I like that you're trying to experiment, but I'd stick with the sample.

Created another damage calc extension for quick and easy damage calcs for USUM Pure Hackmons. Simply paste all the sets into the import at the bottom and click the button. Don't worry about the extra line of text in there, it doesn't affect the import at all. This was created using a combination of meta knowledge, sets on popular teams, and ladder data. Some of the sets may look wonky, but the moves were popular on ladder sets so I figured they would be useful to include in a resource like this. All of the top 50 most used Pokemon on the March ladder were included except for Xerneas, Mega Sableye, Umbreon, Mega Tyranitar, Primal Kyogre, and Giratina-A. Additional Pokemon taken from the Viability Rankings are included, such as Magearna.

https://pokepast.es/a315ab079492d25d

Let me know if there is more you'd like me to add.

Last edited:

aerobee

Pure Hackmons
Stall in USUM Pure Hackmons

:chansey::blissey::zygarde-complete::steelix-mega::slowbro-mega::audino-mega::yveltal::muk-alola::solgaleo::doublade::meloetta::oranguru::type-null:
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Gen 7 PH is pretty offense oriented due to attackers getting hard-to-counteract tools in Mold Breaker moves and CFZs. While offensive structures have been explored to a pretty good extent, defensive strats have been seen as harder to pull off and consequently put off to the side. As a PROUD STALLER, I wondered how well stall would work amidst the wide variety of offensive threats. Turns out that while stall has some pretty serious downsides that being on the backfoot is precarious in PH and losing a Pokemon's pretty easy due to offbeat Shadow Tag and No Guard users, it's actually pretty consistent if you know what you're doing, at least in higher-level games. For the purposes of this post, Innards Out users = Chansey/Blissey with minimum raw Defense.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Pure Hackmons stall (ambiguity intended) aims to fulfill four objectives throughout the game:

- Prevent Shell Smash sweepers from going haywire. This entails prepping for such threats with setup counterplay like Spectral Thief, PrankHaze/Destiny Bond, Choice Scarf Imposter, and maybe some faster Choice Scarf Shadow Tag guys.
- Prevent initial hard hitters, particularly Huge Power 'mons, from ripping apart your team. I honestly don't think this is as hard as people make it out to be, though a lot of strong threat management happens in-battle and you'll have to play positionally or make 50-50s against nukes like Huge Power MMX on Psychic Terrain HO or Choice Band Huge Power LTBTS/Searing Sunraze Smash out of nowhere. Imposter helps greatly here, as do Fur Coat Mega Steelix (and Doublade on some structures), Wonder Guard Mega Slowbro, Zygarde-C, and maybe an Innards Out Pokemon if you can fit one in. Make sure to not let scary guys in for free, use Imposter to your fullest advantage, and sack your least valuable 'mons in that matchup when needed.
- Make progress faster than the opponent does when the game state becomes a war of attrition. This goes for almost every metagame, but you want to wear down your opponent through hazards, denial of passive recovery via Knock Off, poisoning with Twineedle, trap foes with Thousand Waves/Anchor Shot, etc. Once neither side can win by breaking through the opposing team, the stall team should come out advantageous unless serious misplays are made or it was already severely worn down.
- Mitigate the innate threat some Pokemon pose by existing. This is basically just opposing Imposter and Innards Out user, but is still noteworthy because if you don't prep for either of those in the builder you're going to be severely restricted in-battle because of the former's effectively infinite PP if you can't discourage repeated switch-ins and the latter's potential to poke a gaping hole in your team. I actually think you can prep for Innards Out without too much trouble, with weak but useful attacks like Twineedle (poisons the target), Rapid Spin (unreliable but clears hazards and wins you PP wars), Beat Up/Foul Play (Dark-type coverage that helps against Innards Out Lunala and strong physical threats, respectively), and very weak U-turns/Anchor Shots (pivoting/trapping, respectively).
__________________________________________________________________________________________​

Stall Team Structure:
Here are the guidelines I personally follow when trying to build stall.

- Prankster Destiny Bond/Haze Zygarde-C. This is almost non-negotiable in my opinion, since running Zygarde-C as opposed to something else allows you to come in on physical and special threats alike. You can even come in on Fairy Judgments from Hoopa-U/Ash Greninja, though it's rather shaky without Leftovers. Destiny Bond discourages Shadow Tag foes from picking you off, especially if that's their main avenue of progress-making, and Haze means foes effectively can't boost to break through Zygarde-C unless they have Ice Shard. Also helps against Baton Pass teams to an extent.
- Fur Coat Mega Steelix. Also really hard to forgo, since you want something that can almost reliably come in on Huge Power MMX. I think Mega Steelix is better than Doublade on stall specifically because you have better synergy with stall staple Wonder Guard Mega Slowbro and getting your item removed is generally less impactful, as well as being able to take Moongeist Beams/hits in general slightly better in fringe scenarios.
- Generally, a physically defensive Wonder Guard, especially Mega Slowbro since it resists both Sunsteel Strike and Photon Geyser while not being weak to anything Mega Steelix or Zygarde-C can't handle in isolation. Slowbro's bulky enough that you can actually scout hits with Strength Sap, though I like running dual recovery because mono Strength Sap is terrible to rely on. Alternatively, you can opt for 2 specially defensive Wonder Guards, but I find fitting both of them to be unrealistic in most instances. I think something like Mega Swampert is also suitable here, though it fares less well against MMX on paper and I haven't tried it yet.
- A Wonder Guard to switch into most special threats. This can be either Mega Audino or Meloetta, though the former doesn't fare that well against special STAB Photon Geysers, for example from MMY or Hoopa-U, and the latter's weak to Pursuit and U-turn, hurting its synergy with Mega Slowbro as well as its effectiveness by itself. You can unconditionally slap Defog/Aromatherapy on Mega Audino since it's hardy if bad at directly making progress, though Meloetta's weaknesses make it a less effective user of these moves. On the latter, I'd use Aromatherapy but consider slapping Defog on something else instead.
- A Magic Bounce user when you can, and you almost always can. The importance of Magic Bounce cannot be overstated, as it pretty much negates opposing hazards (Mold Breaker hazards aren't that common), Prankster Zygarde-C, and often Imposter users. Also helps against Magic Guard sweepers since those are tough to answer if your Normal/Dark-type Wonder Guard doesn't have a favorable matchup against it. Yveltal's been the best one for me because you fully wall Zygarde-C and make stuff like Choice Band MMX think twice about clicking STAB, especially in Psychic Terrain. Type: Null's also great, though it does come with an inherent vulnerability to Shadow Tag. Alolan Muk's not bad either from my experience, though things get dicey against Thousand Waves Zygarde-C. If no Magic Bounce I'd recommend using Imposter instead, though that doesn't provide nearly as much benefit in-battle in my opinion.
- If no Magic Bounce user, you better have a damn good reason as to why.
- Finally, a Choice Scarf Shadow Tag guy or Imposter user. If I'm being honest, I think the importance of Shadow Tag trappers on (semi)stall is overstated and you can outplay the majority of threats you would wish to trap anyway. Additionally offensive Ghost-types/Wonder Guards are used a lot these days so Shadow Tag 'mons feel less consistent than before. Choice Scarf Imposter simultaneously acts as a deterrent for non-Imposter-proofed setup or strong breakers and wins you the information game. I actually like Blissey more than Chansey since it's more obvious to the opponent that I'm Choice Scarf, and them playing accordingly doesn't hurt me in any way. Alternatively, Eviolite Chansey seems okay but doesn't provide the security that Scarf Imposter does. I'm sure you could slap an Innards Out 'mon somehow but relying on it to explode a foe sounds exploitable and a constraint to building.

Here are some building principles below. This is separate from the individual Abilities/Pokemon I listed above because it also concerns individual sets' relationships with one another and explains a lot of why I think the bolded 'mons above are so important on stall. Some are specific to Gen 7 Pure Hackmons, but some others are useful regardless of the metagame you try to build stall teams in.

- Always try to Imposter-proof when possible. It's not always practical to have a safely progress-denying switch-in to your own Pokemon, but one can build teams where Imposter either doesn't make progress or is instantly forced out due to the threat of trapping, which is enough in practice.
- Prep for Shadow Tag when possible. Since it's one of the few metagame elements you can't really play around in-battle (that's kind of its schtick), it's best to account for it beforehand, in the builder. Usually this is just slapping Shed Shell on Pokemon with a free item slot, though you can opt out of doing that if you have means of discouraging Shadow Tag users from picking you off (Destiny Bond Zygarde-C, for example), are Ghost-type, or are simply not weak to that many Shadow Tag sets (Wonder Guard Meloetta/Oranguru, Type: Null, to an extent Yveltal).
- Don't overlap checks to major threats for the sake of it – one Shadow Tag-resistant switch-in is enough. If you're running more, it's because of threats that can easily bypass specific checks, like Huge Power MMX or Shell Smash Wonder Guard users. You only have 6 slots to work with and you want to make the most out of them.
- Have at least one hazard setter that discourages Magic Bounce users from coming in. This can be packing an attack with a detrimental secondary for the opponent, especially one impactful in general like Knock Off/Scald. You're at a huge disadvantage against teams with Magic Bounce otherwise, even if you could weather the opposing team's attackers.
- NEVER rely on Strength Sap as your only form of recovery. Again, you just get walled by Magic Bounce and outlasted, especially with passive chip from burn/poison/hazards.
__________________________________________________________________________________________​

Next I want to showcase what I believe to be the most consistent stall out there, at least in higher-level games. Not anymore, but this is the stall I've been spamming the past few days to see how consistent the archetype could be. Shed Shell Zygarde-C's probably more consistent overall due to the prevalence of Shadow Tag and existence of Shadow Tag + Perish Song guys, but this version's pretty damn good.

:sm/steelix-mega::sm/yveltal::sm/audino-mega::sm/zygarde-complete::sm/slowbro-mega::sm/blissey:
(click on sprites for link)

Will-O-Wisp makes Mega Steelix a more reliable check to whatever it wants to come in on, since it takes ~70% from a surprise Low Kick from MMX and ~40% from Sacred Fire to start with. Also allows Steelix to threaten consistent chip on defensive foes, which is useful for longer games. Spectral Thief is for non-Wonder Guard Shell Smashers and random Taunt guys, and can threaten Magic Guard Mega Gengar/Wonder Guard NDW in a pinch. Stealth Rock for more support, though this moveset leaves Steelix walled by most Magic Bounce users. This isn't a problem, though, as demonstrated later. Shore Up for reliable recovery, and Shed Shell to escape Shadow Tag. Fully Imposter-proofed by Yveltal.

Magic Bounce Yveltal's generally an oddball Pokemon, but it's worked out very well for me due to its aforementioned ability to soft check Magic Guard Mega Gengar and basically every defensive Pokemon. Spectral Thief for setup Mega Gengar/some NDW/an extra attack to hit Ghost-weak Wonder Guards with. Twineedle's a weird choice but I've been loving it because it allows Yveltal to 1) circumvent Innards Out Chansey by dealing ~75% with the first hit, 2) chip Bug-weak Wonder Guards with poison over time, and 3) reliably win the 1v1 against opposing Prankster Zygarde-C after trapping it, due to chip from poison, all in one moveslot. Makes self-Imposter-proofing less potent but still doable. Anchor Shot traps Mega Audino as well as basically every non-Wonder Guard that wants to stay in on Yveltal, and allows Yveltal to eliminate them in tandem with Twineedle if not immune to poison. If Audino doesn't have Shed Shell and is the type to stick around and do nothing, you deal with that as well. Recover for recovery. Leftovers is admittedly risky on a Pokemon prone to some Shadow Tag trappers, but passive recovery is broken against teams that lack one, Shadow Tag Mega Diancie isn't used much for some reason, and you self-Imposter-proof with much less consequence than otherwise. +Def notably nets you a favorable roll against Shadow Tag Primal Groudon's Let's Snuggle Forever, though it also helps against Secret Sword coverage and lets you trap and remove select MMX sets. Close to fully Imposter-proofed by itself.

Audino's set is fairly standard, but with a twist. Because Zygarde-C lacks Shed Shell Shell Smash Hoopa-U in tandem with Shadow Tag Mega Rayquaza otherwise won against this team on paper, so I packed Aguav Berry + Trick to absorb an initial hit then remove the opposing Plate. However, if I keep Audino healthy to remove item I can just Trick after taking ~75% from a hit, allowing Zygarde-C or Imposter to come into the now Pixie Plate-less Shell Smasher and win the 1v1. Pivoting is less valuable on stall because your Pokemon are more able to hard swap into whatever they're trying to check, so I figured why not. Defog/Aromatherapy/recovery don't need much explanation, they allow Audino to remove hazards, keep teammates healthy, and heal itself over the course of a game. Shed Shell to escape Shadow Tag, especially because this is one of your two Wonder Guards to switch into opposing No Guard users. Mostly Imposter-proofed by Yveltal.

Zygarde-C's set is pretty standard, albeit with Leftovers over the usual Safety Goggles. This allows Zygarde to come in and wall unboosted Hoopa-U/non-LTBTS or Play Rough MMX, and grants it passive recovery against fatter teams and a means to counteract Will-O-Wisp chip. The rest is standard, though I've tried Anchor Shot over Thousand Waves to trap Mega Audino; I've concluded the latter is better to better deal with Alolan Muk and Ice Shard-less Primal Groudon. Fully Imposter-proofed by itself and Yveltal.

Mega Slowbro to wall physical breakers like non-Ghost/Dark move MMX and NDM. Spikes to make progress, and Knock Off to annoy Magic Bounce users that would ordinarily safely come in on Slowbro. Knock Off also serves as chip against stuff with no recovery (Huge Power NDM/Wonder Guard NDW/Shell Smash Primal Groudon if you can chip it enough). Ironically, I like Knock Off on Dark-weak Pokemon because it allows Slowbro to remove opposing Imposter's item with minimal risk, especially if it happens to be Shed Shell. Strength Sap + Heal Order dual recovery because the former plays to Slowbro's skillset well (it takes 80% from coverage and heals it all back, getting you headway in the scouting game), and the latter's necessary despite Strength Sap's strengths due to how easy it is to block. Shed Shell for Shadow Tag users. Mostly Imposter-proofed by Yveltal.

Imposter's the primary method to scout opposing sets, and also acts as deterrence for runaway and non-Imposter-proofed setup. Since Imposter's one of the best ways to wear down fat 'mons, Blissey's not Transformed a fair portion of the time. This means Tricking an opposing Pokemon in stall vs. stall matchups is trivial. Perish Song is basically only for Baton Pass teams, but that's better than nothing, especially when you also got Haze and Stealth Rock on Zygarde-C and Mega Steelix, respectively. Toxic Spikes for an additional means to chip the opposing team, and Roost for recovery. Mostly Imposter-proofed by Yveltal.

Team Weaknesses:

- :rayquaza-mega::hoopa-unbound: This combination's annoying if you let Mega Audino get low beforehand since Imposter loses 1v1 due to Judgment. Sunsteel Strike Mega Gyarados with Multi-Attack is also annoying since +2 Sunsteel deals like 80~95 to Audino so you have to keep it at basically full to remove their means to Imposter-proof. Not impossible, though.
- :zeraora::sceptile-mega: No Guard users that fish for coverage and have a favorable matchup are pretty much a loss, unless you outplay extremely hard. You can change the Wonder Guards around (for example, by switching Mega Audino with Blissey) to get around this to some extent, though you're always going to lose to x combination of OHKO and coverage.
- :mewtwo-mega-x::groudon-primal::marowak-alola: Huge Power Pokemon with perfect coverage for everything you're running's also tough to win against, though again it's not impossible if you position/outplay accordingly. Here's a game where I lost to Marowak + Shadow Tag Mega Rayquaza + Imposter-proofed WG Mega Gyarados, though had Audino lived the game would've been much more even.
- :doduo::houndour::metagross::vileplume: Random crap running No Guard can also instantly remove a Pokemon, and potentially screw you over that way. Bonus points if it's something you don't feel comfortable scouting with a Wonder Guard, like Aegislash-Blade. This is why I only speak of this team's effectiveness in higher-level games, where such matchup-fishy surprise sets are not prevalent.
- :mewtwo-mega-y::arceus::steelix-mega: Bulky Shadow Tag Perish Song users screw Zygarde over. Change the item to Shed Shell so circumvent this weakness.
- :necrozma-dusk-mane::solgaleo::metagross-mega: Harvest sets are unique in that they effectively can't be walled, due to having infinite PP. This means, in theory, a Harvest 'mon could stall this team out if able to remove Zygarde-C and PP stall Steelix's Spectral Thief. Sounds hard to pull off though.

Replays:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7purehackmons-2094852211 - Alolan Muk goes down and the opposing team gets outlasted, even with Yveltal gone.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7purehackmons-2096072472 - Trades opposing Innards Out Lunala for significant chip on Blissey t1, Yveltal traps and removes MMX after scouting, Greninja loses 1v1 to Blissey, opposing team gets outlasted.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7anythinggoes-2096380282 - Band MMX revealed t7, Strength Sap Oranguru scouted and later denied recovery, opposing Imposter trapped by Yveltal, Water Bubble Greninja/NDW/MMX danced around.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7purehackmons-2097075929 - Terrible matchup (No Guard Zap Cannon Zeraora) danced around and subsequently KOed, LO MMX walled + KOed, played terribly afterwards but still won with Yveltal.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7purehackmons-2097101311 - Hoopa-U walled with Leftovers Haze Zygarde-C, rest of team outlasted with status, hazards, and Magic Bounce Yveltal.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7purehackmons-2097515717 - Shadow Tag MMY danced around, sacked Yveltal in exchange for KOing Audino and chipping MMY, my Audino KOed by Perish Song + Shadow Tag later on, MMY KOed and Imposter would've outlasted had the game continued.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7purehackmons-2097527105 - Choice Scarf Tricked on opposing Scizor by Blissey t13 with the latter receiving Shed Shell, Stealth Rock was on my side but removed t34, opposing Zygarde-C's Leftovers removed t52, opposing team outlasted by hazards and Shed Shell Blissey. A good case study to see why you want hazard setters that discourage Magic Bouncers from coming in, as well as item removal when you Imposter-proof through trapping.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7purehackmons-2096979536-bgltjvu8cjykn0l690xglnkaspkyd0rpw - Opposing team outlasted by Yveltal once WG Greninja went down.

Conclusion

Stall's one of the more unexplored archetypes in Gen 7 PH, and after taking a good look I can say that while it's not the easiest to use, it's definitely a workable archetype, especially amid the myriad threats in the metagame making traditional balance teams harder to work with. There's definitely more exploration to be done, for example with various Steel-resistant Wonder Guards over Mega Slowbro, 2 special sweeper check Wonder Guard structures, or maybe even some Poison Heal guys, so still makes for a fun archetype to play around with.

GLORY TO BIG STALL

Sample Teams
(Most offensive <---> Most defensive)

Primal Groudon Spam by aerobee

Smash Mega Gyarados Psychic Terrain Hyper Offense by aerobee

Dual Magic Guard Triple MMX Hyper Offense by Bahamut

No Guard Lopunny Hyper Offense by Bahamut

Z Pdon + No Guard Greninja Offense by Bahamut and NToTheN

:Gyarados-Mega::Audino-Mega::Mewtwo-Mega-X::Chansey::Steelix-Mega::Lunala:
Power Trip Gyarados + Ice Shard Leppa MMX Balance by NToTheN

:Shedinja::Zygarde-Complete::Type-Null::Chansey::Audino-Mega::Rayquaza-Mega:

Shedinja Semistall by aerobee

:greninja-ash::articuno::skuntank::steelix-mega::slaking::swampert-mega:
Z-Lovely Kiss Greninja Baton Pass by aerobee

Changelog:

02-10-24 - Changed HP EVs to 248 on BP sample Greninja
can you guys consider this as a sample? https://pokepast.es/35fb6ae02109e8bb

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)