move 3: Sucker Punch
move 4: U-turn / Iron Head
item: Choice Band / Choice Scarf
ability: Unseen Fist
nature: Jolly / Adamant
tera type: Dark / Poison / Steel
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

* Urshifu-S can punch holes in the opposing team with its strong combination of STAB moves. Additionally, Urshifu-S can benefit from team preview against opponents who mistakenly assume it to be Urshifu-R.

* **U-turn**: This move allows Urshifu-S to pivot out of bad matchups and scout out potential Tera types.

* **Iron Head**: Iron Head can cover opposing Fairy-types such as Flutter Mane and Mimikyu, which threaten Urshifu-S.

Tera Types
========

* **Tera Dependency - Medium**: Generally, Urshifu-S will utilize Terastallization offensively in order to extend the reach of its signature move Wicked Blow.

* **Dark**: Tera Dark allows Urshifu-S to supercharge its Wicked Blow and muscle its way past various physically defensive foes. Notably, it gives Choice Band Urshifu-S a high chance to 2HKO Dondozo through Leftovers recovery.

* **Poison**: This is a defensive Tera type that removes Fairy-type and Fighting-type weaknesses.

* **Steel**: This Tera type allows Urshifu-S to resist Fairy-type attacks and additionally boosts the power of Iron Head.

[SET]
name: Dancing Bear
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Wicked Blow
move 3: Close Combat
move 4: Sucker Punch
item: Focus Sash / Black Glasses / Punching Glove
nature: Jolly / Admant
tera type: Dark / Poison

[SET COMMENTS]

* After boosting its power through Swords Dance, Urshifu-S can leverage its complementary set of STAB moves to smash through the opposing team.

Tera Types
========

* **Tera Dependency - Medium**: Typically, Urshifu-S will utilize Terastallization offensively to bolster the power of its Dark-type moves, but this set can benefit more from a defensive Tera type in order to stay on the field longer and make use of its ability to switch moves, which the Choice-locked attacker set cannot.

* **Dark**: Tera Dark strengthens Wicked Blow and allows Urshifu-S to power its way through opposing walls. After a Swords Dance boost, Tera Dark-boosted Wicked Blow is a guaranteed OHKO on physically defensive Zapdos, while Close Combat has a high chance to OHKO Ting-Lu.

* **Poison**: This Tera type allows Urshifu-S to survive common Fairy-type and Fighting-type attacks that would otherwise threaten to KO Urshifu-S.

Items
========
* **Focus Sash**: Focus Sash can help Urshifu-S more reliably get off a Swords Dance boost. It can survive hits from Fairy-types like Flutter Mane as well as powerful special attackers like Zapdos. With an Adamant nature, Urshifu-S can reliably beat offensive Tera Fairy Flutter Mane with Wicked Blow + Sucker Punch, provided Focus Sash is still intact.

* **Black Glasses versus Punching Glove**: Both items boost the power of Urshifu-S's signature move, Wicked Blow. Black Glasses gives a slightly stronger boost, while Punching Glove helps to protect Urshifu-S from contact effects like Rocky Helmet and Zapdos's Static. Urshifu-S is much less vulnerable to these effects compared to Urshifu-R due to lack of a multi-hit move. Finally, despite the name, Punching Glove does not boost the power of Sucker Punch, while Black Glasses does.

[CREDITS]
Written by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/zapper22001.45824/
Quality checked by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/theorymon.29010/
Grammar checked by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/ken.594478/

Last edited:

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This is mostly pretty good since Urshifu-S is pretty simple, but there are a few things I'd add!

- This is gonna sound nuts, but I'd add Focus Sash and slash in Swords Dance, believe it or not Focus Sash is actually more common than Choice Scarf! I think there's two ways to go about this, which one you want to do is up to you. You can just slash in Swords Dance and Focus Sash on the ends of the set since they run the same first 3 moves otherwise, and just have a bullet for Sash and Swords Dance. This is less future proof, but less effort which is good!

Alternately, you can split them and have a Swords Dance set with Focus Sash / Black Glasses slashed in. This would be more future proof, but require another write up. Granted, you can also make that write-up really short because I really think you can sum up the moves on one bullet point because its still a very simple Pokemon, with the bulk of the writing being tera types and choosing between Sash and Black Glasses (and the tera type reasoning is very similar to the choice sets too).

- For the Dondozo 2HKO mention, note that requires Choice Band. I'd add a "Choice Band versus Choice Scarf" bullet and make 2HKOing Dondozo with Tera Dark a key point for using Choice Band, since that makes it quite a good wall breaker!

This is mostly pretty good since Urshifu-S is pretty simple, but there are a few things I'd add!

- This is gonna sound nuts, but I'd add Focus Sash and slash in Swords Dance, believe it or not Focus Sash is actually more common than Choice Scarf! I think there's two ways to go about this, which one you want to do is up to you. You can just slash in Swords Dance and Focus Sash on the ends of the set since they run the same first 3 moves otherwise, and just have a bullet for Sash and Swords Dance. This is less future proof, but less effort which is good!

Alternately, you can split them and have a Swords Dance set with Focus Sash / Black Glasses slashed in. This would be more future proof, but require another write up. Granted, you can also make that write-up really short because I really think you can sum up the moves on one bullet point because its still a very simple Pokemon, with the bulk of the writing being tera types and choosing between Sash and Black Glasses (and the tera type reasoning is very similar to the choice sets too).

- For the Dondozo 2HKO mention, note that requires Choice Band. I'd add a "Choice Band versus Choice Scarf" bullet and make 2HKOing Dondozo with Tera Dark a key point for using Choice Band, since that makes it quite a good wall breaker!
Thanks for the comments. I decided to go ahead and add a second set. I opted to discuss the difference between Black Glasses and Punching Gloves since those two items are quite similar in terms of both role and usage rate. I feel that the difference between Focus Sash and Black Glasses is more clear cut, but I can add a separate bullet point for that as well if it is needed.

I am not sure what moves are worth discussing for the SD set. I feel like that Wicked Blow/ Close Combat / Sucker Punch are pretty all Urshifu-S needs whereas Urshifu-R has more customizability with Aqua Jet / Thunder Punch / Ice Punch.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Thanks for the comments. I decided to go ahead and add a second set. I opted to discuss the difference between Black Glasses and Punching Gloves since those two items are quite similar in terms of both role and usage rate. I feel that the difference between Focus Sash and Black Glasses is more clear cut, but I can add a separate bullet point for that as well if it is needed.

I am not sure what moves are worth discussing for the SD set. I feel like that Wicked Blow/ Close Combat / Sucker Punch are pretty all Urshifu-S needs whereas Urshifu-R has more customizability with Aqua Jet / Thunder Punch / Ice Punch.
Yeah don't worry about it feeling anemic, some Pokemon like Urshifu-S just don't have a lot of explaining to do!

Honestly I only got a few little nitpicks left, then this is good to go!

- I'd add a small Focus Sash bullet on SD. I think Focus Sash is really obvious to BSS players, but its the kind of thing where I see new / smogon metagame players go "wut why does this have a sash" all the time. Just simple stuff like "it avoids a KO from things like Flutter Mane" or whatever would suffice.

And finally here's just a few formatting fixes. I'd get rid of the label "Tera Dependency Categories" since the Tera types will be bolded anyways, so I think that'll catch the eyes enough for people that are just looking for specific info. Also, here's an extra period here you can backspace out!

* **Tera Dependency - Medium**: Typically Urshifu-S will utilize Tera offensively to bolster the power of its Dark type moves, but this set can benefit more from defensive Tera type in order to stay on the field longer and make use of its ability to switch moves which the Choice attacker set cannot. .
Otherwise, once you address those nitpicks, this is ready!

Yeah don't worry about it feeling anemic, some Pokemon like Urshifu-S just don't have a lot of explaining to do!

Honestly I only got a few little nitpicks left, then this is good to go!

- I'd add a small Focus Sash bullet on SD. I think Focus Sash is really obvious to BSS players, but its the kind of thing where I see new / smogon metagame players go "wut why does this have a sash" all the time. Just simple stuff like "it avoids a KO from things like Flutter Mane" or whatever would suffice.

And finally here's just a few formatting fixes. I'd get rid of the label "Tera Dependency Categories" since the Tera types will be bolded anyways, so I think that'll catch the eyes enough for people that are just looking for specific info. Also, here's an extra period here you can backspace out!

Otherwise, once you address those nitpicks, this is ready!
Thanks for the additional feedback. I have implemented these changes.

Edit: Adamant nature has become more common according to HOME usage statistics so I have added it as an option. I also elaborated on how Adamant can help win the 1v1 matchup vs. some Flutter Mane sets in the Focus Sash bullet point.

Last edited:

ken

gm
is a Tournament Directoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderator
Monotype Leader
1/1 GP Team done
add remove comment
[SET]
name: One Punch!
move 1: Wicked Blow
move 2: Close Combat

[SET COMMENTS]

* Urshifu-S can punch holes in the opposing team with its strong combination of STAB moves. Additionally, (ac) Urshifu-S can benefit from team preview against opponents who mistakenly assume it to be Urshifu-R.

* **U-turn**: This move allows Urshifu-S to pivot out of bad matchups and scout out potential Tera-types Tera types.

* **Iron Head**: Iron Head can cover opposing Fairy-types such as Flutter Mane and Mimikyu, (ac) which threaten Urshifu-S.

Tera Types
========

* **Tera Dependency - Medium**: Generally, (ac) Urshifu-S will utilize Terastallization offensively in order to extend the reach of its signature move Wicked Blow.

* **Dark**: Dark Tera Tera Dark allows Urshifu-S to supercharge its Wicked Blow and muscle its way past various physically defensive foes. Notably, it gives Choice Band Urshifu-S a high chance to 2HKO Dondozo through Leftovers recovery.

* **Poison**: This is a defensive Tera type that removes Fairy-type and Fighting-type weaknesses.

* **Steel**: This Tera type allows Urshifu-S to resist Fairy-type attacks and additionally boosts the power of Iron Head.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

* After boosting its power through Swords Dance, Urshifu-S can leverage its complementary set of STAB moves to smash through the opposing team.

Tera Types
========

* **Tera Dependency - Medium**: Typically, (ac) Urshifu-S will utilize Terastallization offensively to bolster the power of its Dark type Dark-type moves, but this set can benefit more from a defensive Tera type in order to stay on the field longer and make use of its ability to switch moves, (ac) which the Choice-locked attacker set cannot.

* **Dark**: Dark Tera Tera Dark strengthens Wicked Blow and allows Urshifu-S to power its way through opposing walls. After a Swords Dance boost, Tera Dark-boosted Wicked Blow is a guaranteed OHKO assuming you mean this here; if not, ignore it on physically defensive Zapdos, (ac) while Close Combat has a high chance to OHKO Ting-Lu.

* **Poison**: This Tera type allows Urshifu-S to survive common Fairy-type and Fighting type Fighting-type attacks that would otherwise threaten to KO Urshifu-S.

Items
========
* **Focus Sash**: Focus Sash can help Urshifu-S more reliably get off a Swords Dance boost. You It can survive hits from Fairy-types like Flutter Mane as well as powerful special attackers like Zapdos. With an Adamant nature, you Urshifu-S can reliably beat offensive Tera Fairy Flutter Mane with Wicked Blow + Sucker Punch, (ac) provided Focus Sash is still intact.

* **Black Glasses versus Punching Glove**: Both items boost the power of the Urshifu-S's signature move, (ac) Wicked Blow. Black Glasses gives a slightly stronger boost, (ac) while Punching Glove helps to protect Urshifu-S from contact effects like Rocky Helmet and Zapdos's Static ability. Note that Urshifu-S is much less vulnerable to these effects compared to Urshifu-R due to lack of a multi-hit move. Finally, (ac) despite the name, Punching Glove does not boost the power of Sucker Punch, (ac) while Black Glasses does.

[CREDITS]
Written by:
Quality checked by:
Grammar checked by:

1/1 GP Team done
add remove comment
[SET]
name: One Punch!
move 1: Wicked Blow
move 2: Close Combat

[SET COMMENTS]

* Urshifu-S can punch holes in the opposing team with its strong combination of STAB moves. Additionally, (ac) Urshifu-S can benefit from team preview against opponents who mistakenly assume it to be Urshifu-R.

* **U-turn**: This move allows Urshifu-S to pivot out of bad matchups and scout out potential Tera-types Tera types.

* **Iron Head**: Iron Head can cover opposing Fairy-types such as Flutter Mane and Mimikyu, (ac) which threaten Urshifu-S.

Tera Types
========

* **Tera Dependency - Medium**: Generally, (ac) Urshifu-S will utilize Terastallization offensively in order to extend the reach of its signature move Wicked Blow.

* **Dark**: Dark Tera Tera Dark allows Urshifu-S to supercharge its Wicked Blow and muscle its way past various physically defensive foes. Notably, it gives Choice Band Urshifu-S a high chance to 2HKO Dondozo through Leftovers recovery.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

Tera Types
========

* **Tera Dependency - Medium**: Typically, (ac) Urshifu-S will utilize Terastallization offensively to bolster the power of its Dark type Dark-type moves, but this set can benefit more from a defensive Tera type in order to stay on the field longer and make use of its ability to switch moves, (ac) which the Choice-locked attacker set cannot.

* **Dark**: Dark Tera Tera Dark strengthens Wicked Blow and allows Urshifu-S to power its way through opposing walls. After a Swords Dance boost, Tera Dark-boosted Wicked Blow is a guaranteed OHKO assuming you mean this here; if not, ignore it on physically defensive Zapdos, (ac) while Close Combat has a high chance to OHKO Ting-Lu.

* **Poison**: This Tera type allows Urshifu-S to survive common Fairy-type and Fighting type Fighting-type attacks that would otherwise threaten to KO Urshifu-S.

Items
========
* **Focus Sash**: Focus Sash can help Urshifu-S more reliably get off a Swords Dance boost. You It can survive hits from Fairy-types like Flutter Mane as well as powerful special attackers like Zapdos. With an Adamant nature, you Urshifu-S can reliably beat offensive Tera Fairy Flutter Mane with Wicked Blow + Sucker Punch, (ac) provided Focus Sash is still intact.

* **Black Glasses versus Punching Glove**: Both items boost the power of the Urshifu-S's signature move, (ac) Wicked Blow. Black Glasses gives a slightly stronger boost, (ac) while Punching Glove helps to protect Urshifu-S from contact effects like Rocky Helmet and Zapdos's Static ability. Note that Urshifu-S is much less vulnerable to these effects compared to Urshifu-R due to lack of a multi-hit move. Finally, (ac) despite the name, Punching Glove does not boost the power of Sucker Punch, (ac) while Black Glasses does.

[CREDITS]
Written by:
Quality checked by:
Grammar checked by:
Thank you for the GP check. Everything should be implemented now.

Reactions: ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)