Unpopular opinions

Wasn't it explicitly stated somewhere in X/Y that Mega Stones were the result of stones being irradiated with fallout from the Ultimate Weapon? Maybe I missed something but I don't recall anything about landed meteors, I assume the bit about them falling to earth was simply because the explosion from the Weapon being fired launched them into the atmosphere the way a real-world high-yield explosion or impact event will launch ejecta into the atmosphere.

We already know radiation in the Pokemon universe is basically just a magic force that causes evolution (and probably not cancer, otherwise my OR/AS character running around with dozens of Mega Stones in his backpack at any given time is dead as fuck), so it seems like as good a nebulous, hand-wavey explanation as any other.

Wasn't it explicitly stated somewhere in X/Y that Mega Stones were the result of stones being irradiated with fallout from the Ultimate Weapon? Maybe I missed something but I don't recall anything about landed meteors, I assume the bit about them falling to earth was simply because the explosion from the Weapon being fired launched them into the atmosphere the way a real-world high-yield explosion or impact event will launch ejecta into the atmosphere.

We already know radiation in the Pokemon universe is basically just a magic force that causes evolution (and probably not cancer, otherwise my OR/AS character running around with dozens of Mega Stones in his backpack at any given time is dead as fuck), so it seems like as good a nebulous, hand-wavey explanation as any other.
The bit about meteors was added in ORAS.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I would be down for a Legends: Zygarde someday that takes place in ancient Kalos that expands on the lore of Mega Evolution even more than Gen 6 did.

There's definitely a lot of potential to expand on Mega Evolution's lore in Kalos in particular in the future, and with the Legends sub series being a thing now within the mainline games, especially with the premise of said style of games being that they take place in the regions we know except in the past, there's tons of potential for Mega Evolution lore to be expanded on in an ancient Kalos-situated game, especially in terms of its relation to the legendary trio of Kalos, aka Xerneas, Yveltal, and Zygarde. From a gameplay standpoint a Legends: Zygarde also opens up new potential to expand on the use of Mega Evolution as a mechanic in a new and different way from how it was implemented in the 3DS games themselves, while also perhaps adding more Mega Evolutions in the future, perhaps to more mons that actually would benefit from them too.

Mega Evolution is still my favorite of the super mechanics thus far, and while I can understand why some people here have grievances with how the concept was executed, I still personally love Mega Evolution because of how it made so many different mons more fun and interesting to use in its own way, and I honestly miss them a lot even now. Not a single super mechanic since has ever been as cool or fun to me as Mega Evolution (Z-Moves are a close second but not *as* fun to me as Megas, but Dynamax on the other hand is lame and boring while also being stupidly overpowered and mindless to use. I'm not sure how I will feel about Terastal but it's looking a bit shaky there).

From a lore standpoint there's definitely a chance to expand on Mega Evolution more, and with how successful PLA was, it's clear that they will want to make more Legends styled games in the future. A Legends game situated in ancient Kalos, such as a hypothetical Legends: Zygarde, would be a perfect opportunity to bring back Mega Evolution and to expand on its lore even further than what we saw in XY and ORAS. Especially since Kalos from a worldbuilding standpoint has a lot of untapped potential for more lore expansion (partially because it didn't get a Pokemon Z), and a Legends: Zygarde would be a magnificent opportunity to expand on Kalos lore and the Mega Evolution phenomenon. It's also a great opportunity to re-examine them from a gameplay standpoint in terms of how they are used, and perhaps they could re-work the mechanic to make it even better than it was in Gen 6 and 7.

Anyway that's my input on Mega Evolution from a lore standpoint and a little from a gameplay standpoint. There's still untapped potential on that front there, and imo I would love a Legends game in ancient Kalos to expand on that lore aspect more. Perhaps also reinvent Mega Evolution as a mechanic while also bringing in new ones in a different way for a PL Zygarde, Mega Evolution feels like the best mechanic that is worth revisiting in that regard and there's a lot they could do with it in the future.

The catch is that Mega Evolution is meant to surpass standard evolution in terms of power boost… so there is key of not making a new evolution of a Pokémon too much resemblance of their Mega Evolution playstyle-wise and go for a more distinct direction from the Mega form design-wise.

I admit I do have the idea of giving new evolution for some Pokémon that got a Mega Evolution (so long they aren’t already stage 3 of course) to compensate not having access to it until postgame or not at all, but I do have to be careful not making the new evos just “their Mega Evolution but more natural / as normal evo”, I have to think Mega Evolution as special alternative forms akin to GMax as you pointed out, with a side flavor of ”special, stronger but limiting” breaching evolution line.
Megas in gameplay are already designed to either change the Pokemon's gameplay completely or to buff their current one's function (this assuming the Pokemon even had a playstyle instead of a meandering gimmick build), so theoretically an evolution can simply take the opposite route akin to Branched Evolutions.

Meanwhile, I feel like the point of Megas existence in design on Pokemon that can evolve is as easy to handwave away as any other in Anime or typical fantasy settings as far as worldbuilding goes. To step away from Digimon, another Transformation heavy series is Dragon Ball Z, in which oftentimes the characters have variants on their different forms that differ in efficiency, whether due to how easy they are to use, their stamina burn, or the power they can allow. Most applicable there is the Cell Saga, where characters kept finding variations on the Super Saiyan form (Vegeta and Trunks basically overclock it to bulk up, while Goku tries to acclimate to the form and reduce the power drop) before actually unlocking the next stage from it. Megas are already a phenomenon that doesn't occur the same way as natural evolution, so nothing says they strictly have to be stronger OR weaker than the other. There aren't many other issues with adding evolutions that specifically stem from the Megas specifically.

I can absolutely get on board with '[Pokemon] should've gotten a regular evolution instead of a Mega-evolution and it sucks that the gimmick might've locked out that possibility forever' but when the sentiment becomes '[Pokemon]'s Mega should've just been its regular evolution' I get a little confused. Imo virtually none of the Megas work as regular evolutions without a pretty thorough redesign, both in terms of appearance and battle capability.
To put it in perspective, Mega Mawile has 480 BST. The only thing that makes it such a threat is Huge Power.

Also, visually speaking, Mega Glalie looks like a regular evo in my book. It helps that it doesn't have sharp and wavy protrusions everywhere like most Megas.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
What will be most interesting for me is to see how the various super mechanics will be handled by the time we eventually come along to remakes for their generations. (assuming here of course that the relevant mechanic isn’t brought back for the whole generation)
I know this is purely a hypothetical but jesus christ just the idea of me living long enough to see XY or SM remakes is a thought that makes me feel like im gonna shrivel up and die

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
To put it in perspective, Mega Mawile has 480 BST. The only thing that makes it such a threat is Huge Power.

Also, visually speaking, Mega Glalie looks like a regular evo in my book. It helps that it doesn't have sharp and wavy protrusions everywhere like most Megas.
Nah none of the Megas look like regular evos or could be retconned into them for me, they literally are the Pokemon’s base design with an added or changed feature. A normal evo needs its own unique design.

I know this is purely a hypothetical but jesus christ just the idea of me living long enough to see XY or SM remakes is a thought that makes me feel like im gonna shrivel up and die
Now you know how I feel about the fact that I've lived to see BDSP remakes, and will probably see either B/W or another set of G/S/C remakes in the relatively near future, assuming we aren't plunged into nuclear war or something.

Nah none of the Megas look like regular evos or could be retconned into them for me, they literally are the Pokemon’s base design with an added or changed feature. A normal evo needs its own unique design.
... but there are plenty of Pokemon who boil down to "pre-evolution but bigger with some slightly altered features"? Like do you really think there's more difference between, say, Clefairy and Clefable than there is between Glalie and Mega Glalie?

Coronis

Impressively round
... but there are plenty of Pokemon who boil down to "pre-evolution but bigger with some slightly altered features"? Like do you really think there's more difference between, say, Clefairy and Clefable than there is between Glalie and Mega Glalie?
More of an overall general commentary, obviously there are cases that don’t follow this rule, particularly earlier in the series but yeah, thats my thought.

And yeah literally every Mega I can think of (including Glalie) is just something that should be a form change if anything rather than an evo.

Well, regardless I'm not really in the camp of wanting to retcon Mega Evolutions as standard evolutions, but I think there are definitely some Mega Evolutions that most people wouldn't have thought twice about if they had been released as standard evolutions instead, and Glalie is probably in that camp. "Big Glalie with a beard" is basically the same premise as Probopass, isn't it?

If anything, I feel some Megas suffer the Gen 4 "over decorated" evo problem

That said, if we're to turn them into evos for design, personally...

Audino: tweak ear shape slightly

Sableye: perfect, maybe change purple

Beedrill and Ampharos: change yellow to be oranger

Altaria: cover eyes with fluff

Glalie: iffy on design, but it's distinct enough already

Aggron: I can't think of much

Salamence: it's a stupid design, but maybe make it greener. Or ref the RSE color

Camerupt: fine already

Blaziken: fine already

Sceptile: fine already

Swampert: good already

Gardevoir: have it more like a knight with flowing elements

Gallade: ^shrugs^

Aerodactyl: recolor it

Slowbro: This is horrible lore wise. Keep it

Lopunny: no changes

Tyranitar: meh. I dunno, but meh

Metagross: No changes

Sharpedo: Recolor spikes

Pinsir: recolor body to be darker, metallic

Heracross: fix the face, change color

Scizor: make it blue, rgb Evo line!

Alakazam: beyond perfect

Banette: perfect

Abomasnow: It's design is garbage, please redesign

Steelix: maybe make body black. Onix's dex entry notes that really old ones are smooth and black

Houndoom: recolor bones

Medicham: Gold instead of pink

Manectric: I feel a recolor is needed, unsure

Pidgeot: Perfect

Gyarados: Perfect

Mawhile: Change color (slightly or not), the second head and body shape is nice

Absol: maybe have it grey, to be a fallen angel

Gengar: change eye color, shiny differentiates nicely already

Kangaskhan: This is a weird case where I'd say make it so the pink baby for reg is first form, second is the mega of the kid, then final Kangaskhan

Venusaur: the design is trash cuz butt flower cutout

Blastoise: extra notches or maybe fluff, a bit plain otherwise

Charizard X: make the black shiny, color closer to orange, but retain red eyes

Charizard Y: change belly color

Mewtwo, Rayquaza, Kyogre, Groudon, Latis: No, you're legendaries, stahp

Well, regardless I'm not really in the camp of wanting to retcon Mega Evolutions as standard evolutions, but I think there are definitely some Mega Evolutions that most people wouldn't have thought twice about if they had been released as standard evolutions instead, and Glalie is probably in that camp. "Big Glalie with a beard" is basically the same premise as Probopass, isn't it?
Considering how different Snorunt, Glalie, and Froslass all look, a Glalie evolution that looked looked like "Glalie but extra" would feel very weird.

Frankly, the only mega that I think could visually pass for a regular evolution is Mega Manectric. The huge lightning mane changes its stance and silhouette so much that it barely reads as "Manectric but extra".

Considering how different Snorunt, Glalie, and Froslass all look, a Glalie evolution that looked looked like "Glalie but extra" would feel very weird.

Frankly, the only mega that I think could visually pass for a regular evolution is Mega Manectric. The huge lightning mane changes its stance and silhouette so much that it barely reads as "Manectric but extra".
Fair enough, although I probably wouldn't consider it that much of a big deal, and I think we're kind of getting down into the reeds a bit here. Mega Altaria, for example, feels like a pretty logical extrapolation of the Altaria line while still being visually distinct enough from standard Altaria to me. The same goes for Banette, Mawile, Sableye, and probably a few others (Manectric included), but this is all purely subjective and honestly I don't really want them recycling Mega designs anyways for other reasons, I'd rather these Pokemon get entirely new standard evolutions. Some of them can draw inspiration from their Mega forms, others can take entirely divergent paths.

Coronis

Impressively round
Fair enough, although I probably wouldn't consider it that much of a big deal, and I think we're kind of getting down into the reeds a bit here. Mega Altaria, for example, feels like a pretty logical extrapolation of the Altaria line while still being visually distinct enough from standard Altaria to me. The same goes for Banette, Mawile, Sableye, and probably a few others (Manectric included), but this is all purely subjective and honestly I don't really want them recycling Mega designs anyways for other reasons, I'd rather these Pokemon get entirely new standard evolutions. Some of them can draw inspiration from their Mega forms, others can take entirely divergent paths.
Sableye really? It just picked up a big gem.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Sableye really? It just picked up a big gem.
I mean, I could also say "Altaria really?" - it just gets extra floofy.

Really I'm not personally convinced that any of the Megas barring one or two look like they could be full evolutions. They're pretty much all the original model with some extra fur, spikes, or weapons slapped on.

The only exceptions I can immediately think of are Mega Latios and Latias, neither of which look that similar to the original forms IMO so you could plausibly pass off as evolutions to someone unfamiliar. But even they fall into that Digimon-esque trope of "x with an addition", like how Growlmon becomes WarGrowlmon which is just Growlmon wearing some machine parts.

Two reasons:

1. the aforementioned evolutions (except electrode) change up the silhouette pretty decently- and with Electrode, it's quite literally flipped upside down. that's pretty flimsy, yeah? Here's the thing. Mega evolutions usually keep the Pokemon's basic silhouette/structure.

2. because we're told this is what an evolution can be, we are conditioned to accept that as an evolution. we've been understanding "multiple bodies = evolution" for 26 years at this point. we've seen Electrode, Dugtrio, Muk, Weezing, Magneton, etc. for decades at this point. We know that fits naturally as a Pokemon evolution. i could go into some psychology stuff but uh. why

Coronis

Impressively round
So mega sableye doesn't look like it's an evolution of Sableye but Electrode/Dugtrio/Magneton looks like they are evolution of Voltorb/Diglett/Magnemite
No it doesn’t (at least to me) and I previously mentioned that there were some cases (mostly in Gen 1) where Pokemon such as those 3 lines you mentioned existed, but most evolutions were far different from the original design, compared to pretty much every mega evolution, which look more like forms.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Raichu doesn't suffer because it's related to Pikachu. In fact, in the era of Dexit, it actually benefits from this, since the fact that Pikachu is likely the only Pokemon guaranteed to be in every game means Raichu is also safe by association
Honestly I prefer Raichu immensely. Always have. Not that Pikachu isn't cool, but Raichu is just way better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)