Unpopular Opinions: Scarlet & Violet Edition

I just found another thing that I liked that S/V has gotten rid of: breeding egg moves onto hatchlings.

I just found this out after transferring some hatchlings from Ultra Moon.

I'm sure that most of these moves can be replaced with TMs and leveling up in due time. But one of the most fun parts of breeding was choosing four moves, and breeding them on, and made Pokemon that would give otherwise useful a purpose. It also made receiving Wonder Trades all the more fun, and I imagine that many new players enjoyed the breeding spitbacks I randomly unleashed on the Wonder Trade network.
Sure, it made the hatchlings even more ridiculously powerful, but that too was part of the fun of raising them! I wish that they kept the egg moves, even if only for older Pokemon, as a legacy to Gen II. I loved how Gen 5 made stacking egg moves easier, and I used the hell out of that starting in Gen 6!

I will mourn those days, perhaps even more than the days of being able to transfer whatever Pokemon you like to every new game.
You can still put the egg(/etc) moves you learned onto those Pokemon in most cases, you just have to use Home's move reminder. It'll remember egg moves and stuff.

Reactions: JES
You can still put the egg(/etc) moves you learned onto those Pokemon in most cases, you just have to use Home's move reminder. It'll remember egg moves and stuff.
That's nice to know, if they ever make egg moves usable in game again.

I bred Iron Tail onto my Gible for example.

That's nice to know, if they ever make egg moves usable in game again.

I bred Iron Tail onto my Gible for example.
Uh... Gible just doesn't learn Iron Tail this Gen, but Egg moves as a concept are still around and work exactly how they did in previous games as a baseline!
New Pokémon do also have full sets of Egg moves as usual, since you asked. (For instance, Shroodle's Egg moves are Toxic, Super Fang, Swagger, Copycat, Cross Poison and Parting Shot - that's a big selection with options it can use really well!)
If breeding for them is your preference and that's all you wanted to know, they definitely didn't take anything away there!

In addition to that, they made it by far the easiest it's ever been to get Egg moves onto already-hatched Pokémon using a Mirror Herb.
That's one of the new items in Gen IX - during a picnic, it instantly copies Egg moves from other Pokémon in the team to the holder if it has a free move slot, and it doesn't even get consumed so you can keep reusing it. In general, customizing movepools with stuff like this is more efficient than it's ever been, since deleting and remembering moves is just part of the regular menu now.
This makes Egg moves usable for a casual run in-game in a way they have basically never been - the next-closest things were getting one Egg move at a time from wild Pokémon through DexNav in ORAS or the Grand Underground in BDSP, but now you can easily get as many Egg moves as you want onto the same Pokémon without replacing it or even going all that far out of your way.

What R_N told you is a way to get Egg moves back onto your old hatchlings from Ultra Moon for Scarlet and Violet - you can use them in-game... just as long as they're still part of the Pokémon's current-Gen movepool.
Iron Tail for Gible is an unlucky exception, but I'm sure most of your hatchlings can remember most of their Egg moves.
It seems like the weird exceptions and losses are moves that specifically happened to be TMs and TRs in SwSh, but not in SV. (SwSh Iron Tail removed from Gible's Egg movepool because it was a TR anyway, and SV just didn't put it back, so it lost it more or less by accident.)

Uh... Gible just doesn't learn Iron Tail this Gen, but Egg moves as a concept are still around and work exactly how they did in previous games as a baseline!
New Pokémon do also have full sets of Egg moves as usual, since you asked. (For instance, Shroodle's Egg moves are Toxic, Super Fang, Swagger, Copycat, Cross Poison and Parting Shot - that's a big selection with options it can use really well!)
If breeding for them is your preference and that's all you wanted to know, they definitely didn't take anything away there!

In addition to that, they made it by far the easiest it's ever been to get Egg moves onto already-hatched Pokémon using a Mirror Herb.
That's one of the new items in Gen IX - during a picnic, it instantly copies Egg moves from other Pokémon in the team to the holder if it has a free move slot, and it doesn't even get consumed so you can keep reusing it. In general, customizing movepools with stuff like this is more efficient than it's ever been, since deleting and remembering moves is just part of the regular menu now.
This makes Egg moves usable for a casual run in-game in a way they have basically never been - the next-closest things were getting one Egg move at a time from wild Pokémon through DexNav in ORAS or the Grand Underground in BDSP, but now you can easily get as many Egg moves as you want onto the same Pokémon without replacing it or even going all that far out of your way.

What R_N told you is a way to get Egg moves back onto your old hatchlings from Ultra Moon for Scarlet and Violet - you can use them in-game... just as long as they're still part of the Pokémon's current-Gen movepool.
Iron Tail for Gible is an unlucky exception, but I'm sure most of your hatchlings can remember most of their Egg moves.
It seems like the weird exceptions and losses are moves that specifically happened to be TMs and TRs in SwSh, but not in SV. (SwSh Iron Tail removed from Gible's Egg movepool because it was a TR anyway, and SV just didn't put it back, so it lost it more or less by accident.)
Okay, let’s see what happens if I try this…

Torkoal’s moves like Clear Smog, Eruptionand Flame Burst are missing from the relearnable movepool.

Same thing for every other hatching actually. Every egg move they hatched with in Ultra Moon are not relearnable, outside of leveling up and TMs.

It’s great that Pokémon can still be hatched with egg move in Violet. But it sucks that you can’t transfer them from previous games. I haven’t tried it with moves only in the Violet egg move pool yet, which I might have to try.

Okay, so S/V (or the post Gen 7 games in general) have a number of issues that I'd like to see fixed.

-The inability to transfer Pokemon with moves obtained via TMs and Egg moves from previous games, even if those moves could still otherwise be obtained by those same methods. It has made breeding moves in Gen 7 useless, seeing as how they will be automatically deleted during the transition to Violet version.
-I'd like to be able to grow berries again
-There are some moves I won't miss that have been removed, such as Bestow. Good for them, nobody cares! Then there are some such as Flame Burst (in this case, a move that served as a nice mid-level gap between Ember and higher-tier moves) that I wish that they kept in the game. It would be like removing moves like Psybeam or Aurora Beam, for example.

But I've also found that Gen 9 is the most fun I've had in a Pokémon game in a long time.

-3D models of Pokémon with greater detail and character than in Gen 7

-A wilderness so vast, it takes at least an hour to fully explore each part, and it is so easy to get lost, with constantly regenerating item. Every time into the wilderness is like a treasure hunt. Also, I think that hunting for Gimmieghoul coins is another noteworthy addition, and it's fun looking for the little guys! Even in towns and cities, you might find items on the roofs, making full use of the box legendary. All and all, you can do more than just run around, even when you get to the point where you're mostly just breeding.

-Access to areas with high-level Pokémon. I've even encountered Pokémon with levels at 60 before my third gym badge. This would be terrifying to younger players, but offers a challenge to more experienced players like us. Even a level 40 Veluza was impossible for me to stop a couple of days ago, but the good news is that my Pokémon are growing fast, and could probably give that same fish Pokémon some trouble now! Paldea is more like how I imagined the Pokémon world would be: filled with a vast wilderness full of surprised and dangerous creatures. If anything, wild Pokémon are more of a challenger than the Gym Leaders! I have also found that this game offers more opportunities to catch evolutions than in any previous game, making it easier to fill out the Pokedex faster than ever before! I've already spotted a wild Raichu and a wild Garchomp!

-Free rein of the entire region, which you're free to explore in any particular order

So yeah, there are definitely things on our wishlist that we wish that they would fix, or add into the game. I'm still hoping that we'll get to revisit the neighboring Kalos region and bring back Mega Evolution (there are quite a few Pokémon already in the games that could use the return of this mechanic), and cement the Paldea region as my favorite region. Knowing Game Freak now, they probably won't.

Okay, so S/V (or the post Gen 7 games in general) have a number of issues that I'd like to see fixed.

-The inability to transfer Pokemon with moves obtained via TMs and Egg moves from previous games, even if those moves could still otherwise be obtained by those same methods. It has made breeding moves in Gen 7 useless, seeing as how they will be automatically deleted during the transition to Violet version.
-I'd like to be able to grow berries again
-There are some moves I won't miss that have been removed, such as Bestow. Good for them, nobody cares! Then there are some such as Flame Burst (in this case, a move that served as a nice mid-level gap between Ember and higher-tier moves) that I wish that they kept in the game. It would be like removing moves like Psybeam or Aurora Beam, for example.

But I've also found that Gen 9 is the most fun I've had in a Pokémon game in a long time.

-3D models of Pokémon with greater detail and character than in Gen 7

-A wilderness so vast, it takes at least an hour to fully explore each part, and it is so easy to get lost, with constantly regenerating item. Every time into the wilderness is like a treasure hunt. Also, I think that hunting for Gimmieghoul coins is another noteworthy addition, and it's fun looking for the little guys! Even in towns and cities, you might find items on the roofs, making full use of the box legendary. All and all, you can do more than just run around, even when you get to the point where you're mostly just breeding.

-Access to areas with high-level Pokémon. I've even encountered Pokémon with levels at 60 before my third gym badge. This would be terrifying to younger players, but offers a challenge to more experienced players like us. Even a level 40 Veluza was impossible for me to stop a couple of days ago, but the good news is that my Pokémon are growing fast, and could probably give that same fish Pokémon some trouble now! Paldea is more like how I imagined the Pokémon world would be: filled with a vast wilderness full of surprised and dangerous creatures. If anything, wild Pokémon are more of a challenger than the Gym Leaders! I have also found that this game offers more opportunities to catch evolutions than in any previous game, making it easier to fill out the Pokedex faster than ever before! I've already spotted a wild Raichu and a wild Garchomp!

-Free rein of the entire region, which you're free to explore in any particular order

So yeah, there are definitely things on our wishlist that we wish that they would fix, or add into the game. I'm still hoping that we'll get to revisit the neighboring Kalos region and bring back Mega Evolution (there are quite a few Pokémon already in the games that could use the return of this mechanic), and cement the Paldea region as my favorite region. Knowing Game Freak now, they probably won't.
, megas shouldnt return

Last edited:
, megas shouldnt return
Maybe this is an unpopular opinion, but I think that Megas were a great way to give Pokemon most players wouldn't otherwise give a second glance a chance for viability. Sure, some of them were overpowered, but I think that's part of the charm.

It was also fun designing teams around a single Mega.

Maybe this is an unpopular opinion, but I think that Megas were a great way to give Pokemon most players wouldn't otherwise give a second glance a chance for viability. Sure, some of them were overpowered, but I think that's part of the charm.

It was also fun designing teams around a single Mega.
As a Gallade fan, I think SV Gallade would be better than mega Gallade, as sharpness increases your power even further beyond what CC can offer

That requires an additional set-up turn on a Pokemon that does not take hits well, it's not a clean solution.
Ok, equal, they both have their own ups and downs
Gallade-Mega has to rely on Zen Headbutt for psychic Stab, while regular Gallade uses 105 bp high crit psycho cut. If they give mega Gallade sharpness, it will truely outclass regular Gallade in my eyes

You know, gen 9 National Dex is a thing, you could go test this out empirically. At present, it looks like the Mega is winning, being in RUBL while the base form is in regular RU (note that Natdex doesn't have an official NU or lower, so the power gap may or may not be higher than it seems: Beautifly is also NDRU)

You know, gen 9 National Dex is a thing, you could go test this out empirically. At present, it looks like the Mega is winning, being in RUBL while the base form is in regular RU (note that Natdex doesn't have an official NU or lower, so the power gap may or may not be higher than it seems: Beautifly is also NDRU)
I know, I play mostly on Nat Dex Ubers

Reactions: JES
Ok after all the official mons got leaked, there's one line that pretty much captured everyone's hearts.
:sv/tinkatink: :sv/tinkatuff: :sv/tinkaton:
The tinkas! And ngl, I see why! They're pretty cute, they have a godlike type combination, they have decent performances on in game runs and competitive matches (not la creme de la creme or anything but still solid) and they're sociopaths!

This is all well and good, tho for me personally, I may or may not prefer the bread dogs...
:sv/fidough: :sv/dachsbun:
Yeah, basically I like the dachsbun line more than the tinkas. The reason for this is...well I'm not sure tbh. Maybe it's the combination of being more appealed to their designs (the tinka's hands have always been a little weird to me and fidough and dachsbun seem cuter in a way that I can't describe) and having used one to great success in my playthrough (lvl 18 play rough is still insane). Tho with that said I by no means think the tinkas are horrible. They're pretty cool, and I can see why people became obsessed with them! I just wanted to put my silly little personal preference out there.

With that said, I still stand by my opinions I put earlier in the thread, dudunsparce is still not disappointing and the bugs still aren't that annoying! (If anything lake casseroya has gotten a little less laggier for me, tho that's probably just my system idk. That or I got too used to them to the point I don't notice idk...)

GameFreak should have waited until early 2023 to release these games. This would have given them time to fix the huge number of glitches and bugs in these games. Because the amount of glitches make the game feel rushed and unfinished, in my opinion.
I'm not quite sure how this is unpopular, if anything that's what everyone thinks.

Regardless, that's not a possibility. GF doesn't make the release dates.

Any complaint about release schedule has to be directed toward TPCI or Nintendo (whichever makes them), and we pretty much widely aknowledged by now that "pushing back the releases" isn't something they are able to do short term, since it'd fuck up the schedule of literally everything else in the Pokemon Franchise.

In order to take more time between releases, it'd probably need a very long term rescheduling of the pokemon franchise as a whole, something TPCI is definitely not willing to be bothered with.

I'm not quite sure how this is unpopular, if anything that's what everyone thinks.

Regardless, that's not a possibility. GF doesn't make the release dates.

Any complaint about release schedule has to be directed toward TPCI or Nintendo (whichever makes them), and we pretty much widely aknowledged by now that "pushing back the releases" isn't something they are able to do short term, since it'd fuck up the schedule of literally everything else in the Pokemon Franchise.

In order to take more time between releases, it'd probably need a very long term rescheduling of the pokemon franchise as a whole, something TPCI is definitely not willing to be bothered with.
Thanks for the reply! Glad to hear my opinion is quite popular. :)

It's a shame TPCi aren't willing to change the release schedule of the series. Since if the new games had an extra year development, we'd get a much better Pokemon game. Instead they seem to now choose quantity over quality, sadly. :(

GameFreak is probably very involved in release date projections. TPC is literally made of a third board members, but even beyond that they're the developer and likely work in tandem with nintendo on projected release dates and issues.

Likewise I think people overstate the series inability to make a 4 year plan instead of a 3 year plan. There's plenty of merchandise they can and likely would be able ot make, and if they had a sudden delay that also wouldn't matter because there's nothing stopping them from making merchandise of what has been revealed. Also likely why they don't hit the ground running with full merch of stuff that hadn't been revealed yet.
If there's anything the end of last gen showed its that it doesn't matter if there was a delay. The TCG didn't launch until 2 or 3 months after the games came out, the "SV Anime" is (1) still not even "really" SV and (2) premiered 5 months into the generation. Things can be unmoored for a bit and adjust on the fly. Heck the anime has been flexible for a while in how it acknowledges mid-gen games too; DP only barely had a Platinum tie in, it threw a small chunk of episodes that could have been moved around for HGSS, ORAS was acknowledged mostly just through Megas and to an extent the new rival, BDSP was handled by just having more Sinnoh episodes (in this, the anime that just went everywhere in the pokeworld) and Legends Arceus was contained to a separate special that also didn't even actually advertise Legends Arceus. The little side materials (like Hisuian Snow) are web animes that can likely be held onto until they're ready to meet hte delay (or aired as a preview); if Nintendo can sit on games for over a year then TPC can sit on completed web animes that don't have any real merch to rely on until its game is actually out.

And that's again just on the "delay" metric, the moment they lay out a 4 year plan this all becomes less of an ordeal.

Point is: The Pokemon machine is overly complex, but I think if Gamefreak (the ones literally making the games) or Nintendo (the ones approving, producing and distributing the games) either needed more time up front or needed a sudden delay then TPC (literally just a marketing & merchandising arm that's made of 2/3rds GameFreak & Nintendo) would just have to deal with it. and it becomes significantly easier to deal with it when you're working on a projected 4 year schedule and not a 3 year schedule.

Basically its probably more of a mutual problem. Perhaps one they've started thinking more about (DLC expansions likely takes less manpower and time than a "proper" third version, giving BDSP to ILCA is still an interesting move even if LA was meant as a similar time frame if nothing else), but still one they're all just going "this is probably fine" about.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
GameFreak is probably very involved in release date projections. TPC is literally made of a third board members, but even beyond that they're the developer and likely work in tandem with nintendo on projected release dates and issues.

Likewise I think people overstate the series inability to make a 4 year plan instead of a 3 year plan. There's plenty of merchandise they can and likely would be able ot make, and if they had a sudden delay that also wouldn't matter because there's nothing stopping them from making merchandise of what has been revealed. Also likely why they don't hit the ground running with full merch of stuff that hadn't been revealed yet.
If there's anything the end of last gen showed its that it doesn't matter if there was a delay. The TCG didn't launch until 2 or 3 months after the games came out, the "SV Anime" is (1) still not even "really" SV and (2) premiered 5 months into the generation. Things can be unmoored for a bit and adjust on the fly. Heck the anime has been flexible for a while in how it acknowledges mid-gen games too; DP only barely had a Platinum tie in, it threw a small chunk of episodes that could have been moved around for HGSS, ORAS was acknowledged mostly just through Megas and to an extent the new rival, BDSP was handled by just having more Sinnoh episodes (in this, the anime that just went everywhere in the pokeworld) and Legends Arceus was contained to a separate special that also didn't even actually advertise Legends Arceus. The little side materials (like Hisuian Snow) are web animes that can likely be held onto until they're ready to meet hte delay (or aired as a preview); if Nintendo can sit on games for over a year then TPC can sit on completed web animes that don't have any real merch to rely on until its game is actually out.

And that's again just on the "delay" metric, the moment they lay out a 4 year plan this all becomes less of an ordeal.

Point is: The Pokemon machine is overly complex, but I think if Gamefreak (the ones literally making the games) or Nintendo (the ones approving, producing and distributing the games) either needed more time up front or needed a sudden delay then TPC (literally just a marketing & merchandising arm that's made of 2/3rds GameFreak & Nintendo) would just have to deal with it. and it becomes significantly easier to deal with it when you're working on a projected 4 year schedule and not a 3 year schedule.

Basically its probably more of a mutual problem. Perhaps one they've started thinking more about (DLC expansions likely takes less manpower and time than a "proper" third version, giving BDSP to ILCA is still an interesting move even if LA was meant as a similar time frame if nothing else), but still one they're all just going "this is probably fine" about.
I mean when it all comes down to it, the games (despite any issues and complaints), sold amazingly as expected, and the other aspects of the franchise continue to truck along. I mean, has the perceived quality of S/V in particular made any actual affect on profits? As long as they keep bringing in the money, as it surely looks like for the foreseeable future, their mindset will surely be “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it”.

I mean when it all comes down to it, the games (despite any issues and complaints), sold amazingly as expected, and the other aspects of the franchise continue to truck along. I mean, has the perceived quality of S/V in particular made any actual affect on profits? As long as they keep bringing in the money, as it surely looks like for the foreseeable future, their mindset will surely be “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it”.
Well yesn't.

Having low quality games that "still sell due to franchise" is a risky path to walk, because it means that if you end up doing "one mistake too much" you will have much less chance of people to skip over it due to the quality.

Obviously that doesn't exactly mean that either of the 3 parties cares, but there's a inherent risk of producing several low quality titles in a row, you risk breaking the rope

Alright, what I'm about to say is probably the EPIDEMY of unpopular opinions, and it might probably make everyone in the fandom flame me. But frankly, idc. This is what the thread is for after all.

Despite all the technical goofs, scarlet and violet are, imo, still good games.

Are they flawed? Oh absolutely. The bad performance, the confusing open world, the regional gimmick, the powercreep, all that jazz. However, I've always personally believed that the reactions have been a LITTLE overblown. Like, people just seem to overlook the positive aspects they provided all because of the graphics and all that. Which, fair enough, if graphics are a decisive factor for u then maybe these games aren't ur cup of tea. But it does frustrate me that it practically undermines the fun characters, ost, new mons and better in battle poses (at least better than before, u can't tell me ss leafeon looks more dynamic than sv leafeon. Not gen 5 sprite level of movement, but definitely an improvement), etc.
:ss/leafeon:

Now, frankly, this probably contributes nothing to the conversation, unless the opinion of a conformist was needed and then again I already probably talked about these elsewhere. I just wanted to contribute my two cents to this. And again, it's ok if u don't like them, I'm not on some grand quest to make everyone like em, that'd be ridiculous.

TLDR; I like SV despite all the glitches and stuff. Pls don't kill me for it...

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Alright, what I'm about to say is probably the EPIDEMY of unpopular opinions, and it might probably make everyone in the fandom flame me. But frankly, idc. This is what the thread is for after all.

Despite all the technical goofs, scarlet and violet are, imo, still good games.

Are they flawed? Oh absolutely. The bad performance, the confusing open world, the regional gimmick, the powercreep, all that jazz. However, I've always personally believed that the reactions have been a LITTLE overblown. Like, people just seem to overlook the positive aspects they provided all because of the graphics and all that. Which, fair enough, if graphics are a decisive factor for u then maybe these games aren't ur cup of tea. But it does frustrate me that it practically undermines the fun characters, ost, new mons and better in battle poses (at least better than before, u can't tell me ss leafeon looks more dynamic than sv leafeon. Not gen 5 sprite level of movement, but definitely an improvement), etc.
:ss/leafeon:

Now, frankly, this probably contributes nothing to the conversation, unless the opinion of a conformist was needed and then again I already probably talked about these elsewhere. I just wanted to contribute my two cents to this. And again, it's ok if u don't like them, I'm not on some grand quest to make everyone like em, that'd be ridiculous.

TLDR; I like SV despite all the glitches and stuff. Pls don't kill me for it...
Sorry what was confusing about the open world?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)