Under the Rain, Standard OU Gen V

With the introduction of drizzletoed and droughttails (droughtpix if you play PO's UU) weather got increasingly annoying, and for a while I never really sought to fight sunny day with sunny day. However, my own DW OU team has gotten monotonous so I constructed a rainy day team that, I find, can fair in other weather reasonably well. Drought teams giving me the most trouble. This current team fits into Wifi OU, but any additions that put into Dream World I am not opposed to. For reference on PO's wifi ladder I hover around the 200 - 400 mark.
AT A GLANCE

In Depth
Crizzletoed

HP 252/ SpecAtk 252/ Spd 4 - Modest Nature
Leftovers - Drizzle

Boiling Water
Toxic
IceBeam
Psychic

I usually can't stand not having some sort of lead that doesn't lay down any hazards (Swampert is still my favorite lead of all time), so this took some getting used to, but I need the rain up. Toxic and Boiling water are there to cripple the opponent. Icebeam is there for dragons as Politoed rarely stays in past a turn or to. I usually can switch into something better so she usually comes back later. Psychic is just basically there. I'm not sure what else to put that I would use. Helps with tentacruel if Shibi is down and OHKO's opposing Croagunks... Anyway, EV's and nature are to max atk and make it kinda bulky. This works for me but I'm not opposed to other spreads. She's not too bad at taking hits as is. In wifi (or on smogons server) I usually just keep this as lead unless I see opposing weather. For hippo and Abamasnow I go to Shibi, Ttar I may stay in or go to toxicroak, Ninetails I go to snorlax. Enemy politoeds I usually send out Shibi or Natt.

Changes: Psychic... Not opposed to changing it at all.

Sleepd(D)ra

Hp 4/ Atk 252/ Spd 252 - Jolly Nature
Leftovers - Swift Swim
Dragon Dance
Outrage
Waterfall
Yawn

There is little point in leading with Drizzletoed if you have no one to take advantage of it. Kingdra takes advantage of it the most out of anyone (except MAYBE hydration/rest vaporeon... ugh) Outrage and Waterfall are self explanatory. I really do like Yawn on this set. After a yawn (which I usually land first b/c of swift swim) the opponent is either forced to switch or go to sleep, and since they usually switch I can get a DD on the switch. Good typing gives her a lot of resistances and my instances of switching into Shandy or Heatrans fire moves are quite lolworthy.

Changes: Nothing I can really think of. Possibly an EV spread for a bit more bulk? I know yawn isn't standard but I like it, but tell me your opinions anyway.

Shibithunderdon

Hp 252/ Spec Atk 252/ 4 Def - Modest Nature
Leftovers - Levitate
Grassknot
Flamethrower
HP ice
Thunder

I thought this thing looked so odd at the start and (for some reason) just stuck it on a team, and instantly loved this thing. This is my third team to carry Shibi. His other sets have Tbolt instead of thunder b/c of accuracy. He is really bulky and can take hits quite well. On a separate team I ran a dualscreen leadswine (it works very well actually) and w/ screens up Shibi doesn't know how to die to anything but crits. Thunder is there to take advantage of Rain, with the rest being for coverage. Flamethrower destroys Abamasnow leads and Natt as well as Scizor (Bullet punch resist) Grassknot comes in handy at times and HP ice is obvious. These last two moves go great with Shibi's levitate ability. Shibi has 10 higher base atk but I really like this moveset and it's Spec atk isn't bad (105). With this bulk it can dish out hits so he becomes my special sweeper/tank. I don't see this thing being OU though, and when the meta settles and he lands in UU I will make him a monster.

Changes: despite my love for Shibi I am quite open to other special attackers.

Suckercroak

4 Hp/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spd - Adamant Nature
Life Orb - Dry Skin
Crosschop
Suckerpunch
Thunderpunch
Swords Dance
Yet another sweeper to take advantage of the rain. Swords dance is my stat boosting move. Crosschop is for stab and great fighting offensive typing. Suckerpunch is a great priority move and after a SD is ridiculous. I love taking out Gengars. Thunderpunch is great as even after intimidate it OHKOs Gyra and can hit Burrungeru pretty hard. Life Orb recoil is evened out by the Dry Skin ability, if sand is up it's not too bad but he hates sun with a passion. Not much else to say, pretty standard.

Changes: Have at it. I love Croak, modify him if possible as I would rather keep him.

Stalltorei

252 Hp/ 4 Atk/ 252 Def - Impish Nature
Leftovers - Iron Barbs
Stealth Rock
Thunderwave
Leech Seed
Power Whip

My defensive wall. Can set up hazards in mid game and cripple with Twave, which I do prefer over spikes. Leech seed + Iron barbs + lefties + switch into Outrage = 1 dead dragon and 1 gloating healthy Natt. His biggest weakness is fire and the rain helps remedy that. He can't survive a fireblast or anything but HP fires and nonstab flamethrowers don't kill like they used to. Again a straightforward set. Powerwhip does pretty good damage for a wall.

Changes: A diff EV spread perhaps. No move changes.

Curselax

252 Hp/ 4 atk/ 252 Spec Def - Adamant Nature
Leftovers - Immunity
Curse
Whirlwind
Earthquake
Bodyslam

This is my special wall. Let me start with I'm pretty sure adamant is an accident. I opened teambuilder and was surprised to an adamant nature. I never noticed and he does really well still, can take a +2 EQ from dory. W/ huge bulk and spec def. I can usually get off multiple curses and after that he doesn't die. Earthquake for coverage and Bodyslam for stab and para chance. Whirlwind is b/c I have no other phazer anything behind a sub or that has CM'd almost never OHKOs me. Originally I had roob in this position and while it worked and I love roob I just didn't want to use him on this team. I switched to Salamence but didn't get the results I wanted, too fragile. I randomly tried Snorlax and am pleasantly surprised. Immunity over thick fat so I don't get stalled out myself. It has saved me more than once (and w/ immunity I get 4 pokes not hit by toxic spikes)

Changes: Open to a lot on this one. I really like snorlax but both my walls are fighting weak and that just won't work in today's metagame.

Threatlist

Rankurusu
After calm minds he can get annoying. As of now this is the most annoying thing I can think of toxicroak stands the best chance against him but he gets raped by Psychic or Psychoshock

Roobushin
Bc he has type adv against my Physical wall he can be annoying. Toxicroak resists then SD and cross chop to death. This works in rain but not in other weather.

Exeggcutor
specifically the rest-harvest sets... they just heal up and obliterate me.

Sunny day teams - Other weather isn't a problem. It's kind of exciting fighting a sunnyday team as the battle for weather makes all involved more careful. However, if I lose the weather war then my chances of success go down fast.

(Still working on threat list)

have you tried this set i made it myself to help nattorei deal huge damage to opponets in my sand stall team

Natoorei @ hardened hat
impish 252 HP 244 DEF 12 Sp def/252 HP 252 SP def 4 def careful

rest
sleep talk
spikes/thunder wave/power whip/curse
toxic/thunder wave/powre whip/gyro ball/curse

worked well for me however that was in the sandstorm with the sp def boosts and pherhaps carry Draco meteor on kingdra? specifficly for roopushin you can water fall the draco meteor to kill this was on my kingsra who had 212 216 atk/sp atk though.

I would recommend replacing snorlax with tentacruel. It resists fighting (which you need), is immune to poison like snorlax, can set up your own toxic spikes if you wanted, and gets rain dish in dream world, so its quite bulky, specifically on the special side.
also @DarthChocoboz, natorei doesnt get a spdef boost in the sand...

I would recommend replacing snorlax with tentacruel. It resists fighting (which you need), is immune to poison like snorlax, can set up your own toxic spikes if you wanted, and gets rain dish in dream world, so its quite bulky, specifically on the special side.
also @DarthChocoboz, natorei doesnt get a spdef boost in the sand...
This isn't too bad an idea. I can also get a rapid spinner out of this. I'll try it out.

Replacing Snorlax and Tentacruel will make yout team much better. In my experience TSpikes can and will shut down whole RD Teams. Just try a moveset like this:

Tentacruel @ Leftovers
Trait: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Def
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Surf
- Acid Bomb/Giga Drain

Acid Bomb for Semi-Stallbreaking - Giga Drain for Recovery

I would suggest changing Thunderpunch for Taunt on your Toxicroak. So it will become your Stallbreaker and a needed Nattorei-Counter. Opposing Nattorei lose their Fire weakness as well and can set-up pretty easily on all of your Pokemon.

Replacing Snorlax and Tentacruel will make yout team much better. In my experience TSpikes can and will shut down whole RD Teams. Just try a moveset like this:

Tentacruel @ Leftovers
Trait: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Def
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Surf
- Acid Bomb/Giga Drain

Acid Bomb for Semi-Stallbreaking - Giga Drain for Recovery

I would suggest changing Thunderpunch for Taunt on your Toxicroak. So it will become your Stallbreaker and a needed Nattorei-Counter. Opposing Nattorei lose their Fire weakness as well and can set-up pretty easily on all of your Pokemon.
I like tentacruel (w/ my only complaint being that I now have no phazer) but Taunt on Toxicroak isn't working. Gyra's are sweeping my team, and he's not fast enough to be a reliable taunt user. Take into account I can only damage my enemy w/ a move that requires them to attack (which I know, taunt helps this) or 80% accuracy move walled by ghosts.

Currently testing this in place of Shibi

Genosect
252 Hp / 252 Spec Atk / 4 Spd - Modest
Leftovers - Download

Bug Buzz
Thunder
Flamethrower
Icebeam

I still get great coverage w/ Tspikes immunity w/ additional spec atk. I am faster as well but shibi's speed never bothered me. I lose bulk but get resistances ( albeit I get weaknesses as well, something that Shibi didn't have ala levitate) The fire weakness is aided by Rain. Liking it so far but it deff. sticks me into the DW tier. Open to other options.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I honestly don't see what Shiribudon is accomplishing. Try Manaphy, Latias or Shaymin-S in its place.

I would actually recommend Rankurusu in Snorlax's place. You keep a bulky setup user (that's better than snorlax), add an effective Blissey Check, and lol at Roob too. What's not to love?

Also, going with Specs Kingdra would also go along way against your Roob and Rankurusu issues.

Currently testing this in place of Shibi

Genosect
252 Spe / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk - Timid
Life Orb - Download

U-Turn
Thunder
Flamethrower
Icebeam

I still get great coverage w/ Tspikes immunity w/ additional spec atk. I am faster as well but shibi's speed never bothered me. I lose bulk but get resistances ( albeit I get weaknesses as well, something that Shibi didn't have ala levitate) The fire weakness is aided by Rain. Liking it so far but it deff. sticks me into the DW tier. Open to other options.
Genosect will also work good as a lead especially in a RD Team. It allures Shandera and other Fire types which can be handled easily with Politoed.

But don't invets EV's in HP. Geno is bulky enough to come in several times, put those EV's in Speed - he will need them to outspeed other threads and try a Timid Nature. Life Orb > Leftovers because it isn't a Staller and will benefit from the Damageboost.
U-Turn is much more better than Bug Buzz. So it can be utilise as Scouter - come in, get an Attack Boost and U-Turn to a Counter.

Geno is such a good pokemon...

sadly, giga drain is illegal with rain dish on tentacruel, so ice beam or hidden power grass are better options.
also, i dont really see why you're running flamethrower on Genosect, since most of the time it'll be weakened by the rain.

sadly, giga drain is illegal with rain dish on tentacruel, so ice beam or hidden power grass are better options.
also, i dont really see why you're running flamethrower on Genosect, since most of the time it'll be weakened by the rain.
If Geno will get an SAtk Boost from Download Flamethrower becomes a 2HKO on Nattorei.
Just use geno as a Lead and then Flamethrower is needed for coverage.

I run Flamethrower for coverage, in case rain isn't up (especially since I'm trying the lead set posted above). I don't need rain dish, liquid ooze is great for switching into Roobo's drain punch.

Cicada

soul reaver
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
I can suggest you to use Specs Latios in place of Shibi ; he attract tyranitar and rape him with +1 Surf. You're weak to pursuiters though, but it can allow you to put easily Toxicroak or Nattorei.
To corrige your issues with Rankurusu, try out Choice Band @ Pursuit or Crunch on Snorlax.

I'm not in fond of Gen V so my advices can be not relevant, but maybe it can work.
Good luck.

And yet another "rain" team with less than 2 Swift Swimmers...*disappoint*.

Your team absolutely DOES NOT require rain to function. A good rain team should pack 2-3 abusers in order to make up for the wasted teamslot of a Politoed. By "abusers", I mean hardcore rain sweepers like BD Wrath and MixDra, like Specs Hurricane Tornelos and basically Ludicolo.

Otherwise, Politoed just looks like a complete waste of a lead.

And yet another "rain" team with less than 2 Swift Swimmers...*disappoint*.

Your team absolutely DOES NOT require rain to function. A good rain team should pack 2-3 abusers in order to make up for the wasted teamslot of a Politoed. By "abusers", I mean hardcore rain sweepers like BD Wrath and MixDra, like Specs Hurricane Tornelos and basically Ludicolo.

Otherwise, Politoed just looks like a complete waste of a lead.
But if I go that route than any opposing weather completely wrecks me, and my team becomes far to situational. The only weather that gives me problems this way is hard core sunny day teams. I can easily combat opposing rain teams (heavy or not) sandstorm gives me no trouble and sunny day teams sometimes. I wanted a weather light team so it could function if there is no rain present. If I can't battle w/out rain then it is a failure as a team. Also Genosect is my current lead (testing)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)