SM Doubles OU Undefeatable double trouble

Its defeatable but this team is working really well for me.

The Team:
Gyarados (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Earthquake
- Thunder Wave
- Waterfall

Tyranitar (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpA
Brave Nature
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Pursuit

Heatran @ Groundium Z
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Heat Wave

Zapdos @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt
- Tailwind

Amoonguss (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Clear Smog
- Toxic
- Giga Drain
- Protect

Lucario @ Life Orb
Ability: Steadfast
Jolly Nature
- Blaze Kick
- Ice Punch
- Drain Punch
- Meteor Mash

Gyarados

Gyarados (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
Shiny: Yes
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Earthquake
- Thunder Wave
- Waterfall

I have had a red gyarados on my team every gen since soul silver. First shiny I hunt in every game and my soul silver gyarados has seen many regions.
He makes me proud.

Regardless, in the current doubles ou meta, he doesn't have a place outside of mega so I use him for support. Sub for when the opponent is focusing on the other poke, EQ for coverage, T-wave for hindering sweeps, and waterfall for a solid stab move. Ik you could make a better team by subbing him out but I love the boy.

T-tar

Tyranitar (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpA
Brave Nature
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Pursuit

The meat of the team.
Choice band boosts its attack to 603 and its bulky as hell when it sandstorm is running. Rock slide is always a solid choice for stab on both pokes, EQ for coverage or when gyarados or zapdos are out, Ice punch for coverage, and pursuit for cheese. Tends to be pretty versatile, im sure someone could run the numbers on it but she generally performs fairly well except on the occasional azumarill or swampert .

Heatran
Heatran @ Groundium Z
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Heat Wave

Soild stealth rock setter that I normally swap out after it sets, usually can safely stay in assuming theres not a swampert at the other end. Earthpower for coverage, works well against tapu koko and the occasional arcanine and t-tar, hp ice for pesky birds, dragons, and mances, heatwave for ferros and checks most powerful bugs and grass types.

Zapdos
Zapdos @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt
- Tailwind

Tailwind for speed - if he can safely get it set then most of the team minus amoongus outspeeds the metagame and t tar really moves. Heat is for ferro and other grass/steel stalls. Ice works wonders on salamance, land-t, dragonite, garchomp, and other less common dragon threats. Also works on opposing zapdos. Its reliable until it breaks down, like a Ford.

Amoongus
Amoonguss (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Clear Smog
- Toxic
- Giga Drain
- Protect

People (or at least low tiers) don't expect clear smog and im not sure why. Toxic is for stalling, giga for bonus health and protect for added stall. I think rage powder is too gimmicky and people expect this to me more of a threat than it actually is, leading to end games where we basically stall out. Regenerator is also great for predicting when t-tar is about to die.

and finally Lucario

Lucario @ Life Orb
Ability: Steadfast
Jolly Nature
- Blaze Kick
- Ice Punch
- Drain Punch
- Meteor Mash

Like goblin slayer, he exists to kill one thing. That one thing just happens to be fairys and diancie. I honestly dont know what to do with him outside of that but hes been working pretty well so far. The drain punch is just to work in tandem with the life orb and blaze kick is to deal with pesky steel types like celesteela. With life orb he does work.

Pleas leave any comments or suggestions below! This set has just been working fairly well for me in doubles and I'm not sure why, but if anyone has any ideas I encourage them.

Last edited by a moderator:

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
Welcome to Smogon! I'm locking your RMT for the time being as the forum rules require that you provide at least 3 lines of descriptions for each Pokemon to explain their roles. Please read the rules carefully and take a look at Team Showcase to see the level of detail we require. PM me with updated descriptions and I'll be happy to unlock this.

Edit: Unlocked!

Last edited:
Welcome to Doubles OU LanGible!

I'm a fan of Gyrados, too! And this may come to a sudden news to you, but your understanding of the metagame is based on the lower ladder. Real threats and truly outstanding mons are ranked in this thread. That being said, you will probably notice that some mons are competitively (not casually) better than the ones in your current team. This news isn't to discourage you, but to inform you of options that will ensure you better success in the Doubles OU metagame.

Now, there are many changes to your team that I would recommend using, and I'll try my best to explain why.

• Well, to start things off, it's completely fine to use gyarados. However, the reality is that it will probably need a bit of support. And that is why, I recommend using Manectric-Mega over Zapdos. When Manectric is not mega-evolved, it can use it Lightning Rod ability to redirect Gyarados's main weakness, Electric type moves. That way Gyarados can focus on setting up or attacking without worry. Speaking of which, Gyarados is probably best used as a setup mon. Dragon Dance will give Gyarados a more offensive presence, and Stone Edge will give it a fighting chance against mons like Kyurem-B and Zapdos that will surely destroy it.
  • Next, I want to address several mons that can be used as better replacements. For instance, a scarfed Landorus-T will give you a better matchup against Mega Metagross and Tapu Koko than a banded Tyranitar could. Also, Landorus-T doesn't need to worry about opposing Intimidate since Earth Power is a SpA move. Sludge Bomb can be used to surprise opposing Tapu Bulu, and HP Ice can be used to deal heavy damage to opposing Landorus-T, Zygarde, and Salamence-Mega.
  • Now, the only utility that was lost from choosing Manectric-Mega over Zapdos and Landorus-T over Tyranitar was your access to Tailwind. I also noticed that you have Amoonguss that really isn't living up to its purpose (a Spore spamming Redirector) as well as two Steel-types that are weak to Ground and Fighting type moves. Not to mention, Heatran basically has the same moveset as your Tyranitar or by my recommendation, Landorus-T. In short, what I'm about to do is recommend a mon that has what you have lost with the other three mons and somewhat squish the remainder three mons to fit into one. And this mon is Kartana.
  • Rest of the mons are fillers. By common practice, most teams have at least one "Tapu" in their team. The field effects that the "Tapu's" bring are meta defining, and in this case, Lele prevents all priority moves against grounded mons. With Fake Out being common as it is, make sure you use Tapu Lele's Psychic Terrain to its fullest. Another reason Tapu Lele was selected was because it is a Taunt user. Taunt stops opposing mons from using moves such as Trick Room, Tailwind, or Substitute that can otherwise becoming a game changer for the opposing team.
  • The last mon was a bit of a struggle to find without overlapping other mons in the team, but Chansey is an alright choice for a bulky, late-game supporter. With Ally Switch, Chansey can allow its teammates to execute what they plan to do. Also, Chansey is actually an alright Toxic staller. It should improve your matchup against some setup mons and weather based teams.

• Other things I want to note is that in a Doubles metagame (any kind), the move Protect is important for certain momentum. It will certainly help your team stall out field effects (Weather, Trick Room, etc.) and avoid certain elimination.

For the end result, click here.

Of course, the team is completely different from what you have started, but keep in mind that the team was built with the current meta in mind, and there is so much a team builder such as myself can do when certain mons seem to be preferred (out of casual choice) and most mons in the team are not quite that great to begin with. Nevertheless, I encourage you to try out this team, and later, build a better team based on competitive reasoning. Or, you can choose to completely disregard this post and do as you please, but I hope this new team satisfies your taste. GL HF~

Welcome to Doubles OU LanGible!

I'm a fan of Gyrados, too! And this may come to a sudden news to you, but your understanding of the metagame is based on the lower ladder. Real threats and truly outstanding mons are ranked in this thread. That being said, you will probably notice that some mons are competitively (not casually) better than the ones in your current team. This news isn't to discourage you, but to inform you of options that will ensure you better success in the Doubles OU metagame.

Now, there are many changes to your team that I would recommend using, and I'll try my best to explain why.

• Well, to start things off, it's completely fine to use gyarados. However, the reality is that it will probably need a bit of support. And that is why, I recommend using Manectric-Mega over Zapdos. When Manectric is not mega-evolved, it can use it Lightning Rod ability to redirect Gyarados's main weakness, Electric type moves. That way Gyarados can focus on setting up or attacking without worry. Speaking of which, Gyarados is probably best used as a setup mon. Dragon Dance will give Gyarados a more offensive presence, and Stone Edge will give it a fighting chance against mons like Kyurem-B and Zapdos that will surely destroy it.
  • Next, I want to address several mons that can be used as better replacements. For instance, a scarfed Landorus-T will give you a better matchup against Mega Metagross and Tapu Koko than a banded Tyranitar could. Also, Landorus-T doesn't need to worry about opposing Intimidate since Earth Power is a SpA move. Sludge Bomb can be used to surprise opposing Tapu Bulu, and HP Ice can be used to deal heavy damage to opposing Landorus-T, Zygarde, and Salamence-Mega.
  • Now, the only utility that was lost from choosing Manectric-Mega over Zapdos and Landorus-T over Tyranitar was your access to Tailwind. I also noticed that you have Amoonguss that really isn't living up to its purpose (a Spore spamming Redirector) as well as two Steel-types that are weak to Ground and Fighting type moves. Not to mention, Heatran basically has the same moveset as your Tyranitar or by my recommendation, Landorus-T. In short, what I'm about to do is recommend a mon that has what you have lost with the other three mons and somewhat squish the remainder three mons to fit into one. And this mon is Kartana.
  • Rest of the mons are fillers. By common practice, most teams have at least one "Tapu" in their team. The field effects that the "Tapu's" bring are meta defining, and in this case, Lele prevents all priority moves against grounded mons. With Fake Out being common as it is, make sure you use Tapu Lele's Psychic Terrain to its fullest. Another reason Tapu Lele was selected was because it is a Taunt user. Taunt stops opposing mons from using moves such as Trick Room, Tailwind, or Substitute that can otherwise becoming a game changer for the opposing team.
  • The last mon was a bit of a struggle to find without overlapping other mons in the team, but Chansey is an alright choice for a bulky, late-game supporter. With Ally Switch, Chansey can allow its teammates to execute what they plan to do. Also, Chansey is actually an alright Toxic staller. It should improve your matchup against some setup mons and weather based teams.

• Other things I want to note is that in a Doubles metagame (any kind), the move Protect is important for certain momentum. It will certainly help your team stall out field effects (Weather, Trick Room, etc.) and avoid certain elimination.

For the end result, click here.

Of course, the team is completely different from what you have started, but keep in mind that the team was built with the current meta in mind, and there is so much a team builder such as myself can do when certain mons seem to be preferred (out of casual choice) and most mons in the team are not quite that great to begin with. Nevertheless, I encourage you to try out this team, and later, build a better team based on competitive reasoning. Or, you can choose to completely disregard this post and do as you please, but I hope this new team satisfies your taste. GL HF~
I'll give it a shot, thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)