Ubers with Platinum RMT

EDIT: I've made some big changes, the team is now Darkrai, Dialga, Garchomp, Lugia, Latias and Jirachi

I decided with the advent of Pokemon Platinum, I would get into ubers for the first time. I decided to go for a fairly bulky team that could take hits and slowly wither down the opposition. I'm still working on it, and its been fairly successful, but I'm still fairly inexperienced in ubers. This team is very physically based, hitting Ubers weaker stat.

Lets start:
Darkrai @ Choice Scarf
Pressure
4 hp/252 SpA/252 Spd
Timid
-Trick
-Dark Void
-Dark Pulse
-Nasty Plot

Scarf Darkrai lead will screw over any other lead by simply sleeping them. Sometimes I do get screwed in that I sleep a pokemon that the other side won't need anyway. Trick ruins special walls like Blissey, and then allows Darkrai to begin a mild sweep with NP Dark Pulse. Timid and max speed to outrun opposing scarfrai. I'm not sure whether or not he can outspeed +2 Spd max speed jolly groudon though.

Mewtwo @ Expert Belt
Pressre
40 hp/252 SpA/216 Spd
Timid
-Ice Beam
-Aura Sphere
-Thunder
-Flamethrower

I went with four attack mewtwo as my sweeper, since the coverage is absolutely unparalleled. I figure that with Mewtwo's blistering speed, he can outspeed any non-scarfed pokemon and any scarfed pokemon become quite obvious. Outspeeds everything up to Darkrai which is nice. Also doesn't lose anything when phazed or forced to switch out, and is still devastating enough to dish out pain against every uber pokemon in the game. Since he can't 1hko that many threats, he makes a better late game sweeper but can open up a game in the middle after I've taken out a revenge killer or something. Ice beam is an obvious choice for all the Dragons, lugia, Groudon, etc. Aura Sphere to dominate Darkrai and Dialga, Thunder for Palkia and Kyogre and Ho-oh. Flamethrower for steels, scizor, and the like.

I sort of would like a sub+CM or a plain sub version just to block vs. status or get in a 2nd hit for a kill. But then I lose coverage.

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Sand Veil
4 hp/252 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly
-Outrage
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake
-Dragon Claw

My secondary revenge killer, he is primarily here to revenge against rayquaza. SD extreme speed fails to 1hko him after 1 SR switch in, but I am not sure whether he outspeeds the DD version. But its very useful against dragons stuck in outrage, and can hurt a lot of pokemon (except steels). Stone Edge for Lugia, Earthquake for some solid STAB and dragon claw as just a generic attack early game to see what comes in. Can pull off some good late game sweeps too.

Latias @ Soul Dew
Levitate
112 hp/204 SpA/192 Spd
Timid
-Dragon Pulse
-Calm Mind
-Recover
-Refresh

Latias is my "counter" to Kyogre/Palkia. Huge SpD lets it take the hits hard, and STAB dragon pulse off the huge SpA hurts. I chose refresh because I don't enjoy paralysis from thunder, or toxic from stuff like Blissey. Obviously, its pretty weak to Metagross and Scizor, two pokes I need to watch out for. But if another team is lacking trappers, this thing can seriously mess up a team.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Serene Grace
252 Hp/40 Def/216 SpD
Careful
-Toxic
-Wish
-Thunder
-U-Turn

My Dragon Resist and wish passer and status absorber and giver, Jirachi is pure utility and does a great job at it. Toxic for breaking down Lugia, Lati twins, and is annoying to just about everything. Wish+Protect helps stall their HP down, and Wish+U-turn helps my team stay healthy as well as keep Kyogre's water spout damage up. Thunde provides a useful attack in the rain and the paralysis is very helpful.

Lugia @ Leftovers/Light Clay
Pressure
136 hp/124 Def/248 Speed
Calm
-Roost
-Ice Beam
-Reflect
-Light Screen

Man, flyingsolo's Lugia is a beast. 248 speed outruns all rayquaza, meaning it can just Ice Beam SD rayquaza in the face. The DD version has to get stuck into outrage (though I'm not sure whether chomp outspeeds it, which could cause some bad problems). Walls all groudon. The Rock Polish one is a bit of a problem because I don't lose my flying before it stone edges. Roost is obvious. I like dual screens since common switch ins include specs kyogre, who only does around 50% with a maxed water spout after the light screen meaning I can stall it out of water spouts or surfs. I can also switch into Dialga and he can easily start spamming thunder or D-pulse as well.

Problems: DD Rayquaza and Rock Polish Groudon. I'm not sure whether chomp can outspeed the DD rayquaza or Darkrai can outspeed a max speed jolly groudon or whether Lugia can stall out rock polish groudon out of stone edges. Help on this?

Thanks for advice!

I don't see why Mewtwo needs Shadow Ball. As Ice beam is also effective on Latios/Latios, Giratina, Lugia, etc.

I suggest replacing it for flametrower to take out Scizors, and deal good amount of damage on common steel types.

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I like the Deoxys, I havnt seen a Deoxys with Extremespeed for ages, and its always worked against them.
I also like the Chomp and Dialga.

Replace Ice Punch with Bullet Punch on the Metagross because Ice Punch only does more damage than Meteor Mass on Rayquaza who will pawn Gross with Overheat (OHKO) or Earthquake.

I'm against Sub Mewtwo because your team already has lots of Physical fighters, Skarm cripples your team (and phazes Dialga) and Scizor (who causes severe mental distress to Deoxys and Latias). Whirlwind Lugia walls your whole team.
Mewtwo needs Flamethrower. Foucs Punch isn't needed cause Blissey has been taken care of fine, Aura Sphere is better. I don't mind what you change the set to as long as he has Flamethrower, no Physical moves and a way of betting Lugia without it stalling you by constant Roosting (LO or Expert Belt, Specs means Scizor completely destroys you with Pursuit, U-turn and Bullet Punch).

What do you think of completing taking Metagross out and using Trap Scizor instead? I'll definitely switch Mewtwo around.

I think Scizor>Metagross would be wise. His Bullet Punch and Pursuit is stronger(due to Technician) and he has a single weakness. He functions as a better Darkrai counter because of his resistance to Dark Pulse. Bug STAB is significantly better than psychic, especially in Ubers. U-Turn could be very useful to scout for Heatrans, Magnezones, etc.

With the exception of Metagross, Lugia walls this whole team. Now, many run Reflect, so even Metagross will lose. I suggest a well placed Exploder somewhere.

I also don't understand how Garchomp serves as a great counter to Dialga, mixed variants will KO on the switch and Bulk Up Dialga KOs with a +1 Outrage while easily surviving an Earthquake.

Scizor will definitely be giving this team issues, but he gives offensive teams issues in general, so unless you want to go stall, I suggest placing a Choice Scarf Heatran in there somewhere. Despite what people say about Garchomp hitting their "weaker" defensive stat, Heatran still has the power to KO threats such as Mewtwo and Darkrai with Fire Blast.

Right now I'm running LO Mewtwo with Aura Sphere, Flamethrower, Thunder, and Ice Beam. I might switch to a substitute version.

Perhaps I should put toxic on my Garchomp to help take out the physical walls that often come in against him?

Right now I'm running LO Mewtwo with Aura Sphere, Flamethrower, Thunder, and Ice Beam. I might switch to a substitute version.

Perhaps I should put toxic on my Garchomp to help take out the physical walls that often come in against him?
Well, the problem with putting toxic on Chomp makes it so that you have to switch next turn and gives your opponent one free turn to do anything. Remember, chomp should come in late game for when the walls are weakened enough to die to an Outrage or 2.

I've just revamped this team, making it a bit more stallish combined with the revenge capabilities of Palkia under rain and the severe pain that Specs Kyogre causes and Mewtwo's versetility in hurting just about every non-scarfed pokemon.

I'm considering thunderwave on Jirachi, since the only thing that really threatens Mewtwo are scarfed pokemon. Once pokemon can't outspeed mewtwo, Mewtwo can pull off a very effective sweep.

I also just realized that perhaps Lugia would be great on this team, stopping Rayquaza and Rock Polish Groudon who otherwise dominate my team. I'm thinking about Dialga. Ideas for what kind I should run?

For Jirachi, replacing Protect with Thunder (Does damage, and with Serene Grace it has a good chance to paralyze) works, as then you can do some damage to steals and Protect usualy lets them switch in something else for free. Though you should decide if you want to poison the other team or paralyze them as you obviously can't do both (I would recommend having something else use Thunder Wave and stick with your current set).

You also might want to make the Kyogre Modest and put only a few EVs in Spd to outspeed other base 90s and put the rest in Hp/SpAtk, as with base 90 Spd you won't be outspeeding much. Plus the extra health might let you switch in once more to let Palkia sweep, incase they bring out a Groudon.

Replacing Dialga with Lugia fixes your Rock Polish Groudon and Rayquaza problem like you said, but then an opposing Kyogre becomes much more threatening, with only your max health Palkia standing up 2 Thunders, which it just barely survives from. Speaking of that, if you give Palkia a total of 16 HP EVs, it will never be 2HKO'ed by a Scarfed Modest Kyogre's Thunder. A Latios will help protect you from other Kyogres.

Yeah, Kyogre is a huge problem with Thunder, since a Specs waster spout destroys Jirachi, who is the only pokemon who can stand up to thunder. What would you recommend replacing for Latios?

Right now, I'm using
Lugia @ Leftovers
Pressure
252 Hp/52 Def/204 Spd
Bold
-Reflect
-Roost
-Ice Beam
-Toxic

I do want Thunderwave, as its pretty useful for helping mewtwo out, but at the same time Toxic is nice too. As of now, I have gone for Toxic on Lugia and Thunder/toxic on Jirachi.

I made some big changes, converting the team to having 3 scarfs (though one has trick), 1 wall/sweeper combo (latias), and basically two walls (Lugia and Jirachi).

I'm having some problems with Rock Polish Groudon and DD quaza. I would like help.

ahhh
stealing my lugia i see
i dont think you have to worry about DDRay because there has been an uprising of SDRay to respond to ScarfPalkias owning DDRay
as for Groudon, its hard to stop without sacking ur Lugia, (well my Lugia)
basically the plan is to switch in Lugia immediately when you see Groudon, it will Rock Polish as you switch, but Stone Edge from 438 attack wont OHKO, it will always 2HKO (dont bother going 252 hp 252 def bold because to that Lugia, Stone Edge does a minimum of 50, so even if you set up reflect you'll be dead with SR)

but yea, you switch in Lugia, Reflect, Stone Edge will 2HKO
or perhaps you can put Whirlwind, but then Lugia is basically dead the next time it comes out. So Reflect, then i usually have Kyogre or Mewtwo for this as they can live an Life Orb Earthquake and ohko with surf/grass knot, but i dont see any of your pokemon doing that, perhaps Scarf Dialga Draco Meteor?

Yes, I suppose scarf Dialga could do a Draco Meteor. Garchomp can also probably survive a D-Claw and outrage. He can also probably outspeed non max speed Groudon.

But still, DD Rayquaza will still dominate my team. I'd prefer not to have that.

And if RP Groudon and SD quaza are on the same team, I could run into some trouble.

actually i take that back, it depends of if Scarf Dialga can live a Stab LO EQ off of a 438 attack behind a reflect, which i dont know yet

as for ScarfChomp, it cant outspeed RP Don, and it probably cant KO with Outrage either, because theres no reason it shouldnt go max speed
it needs to have at least a certain amount of speed, and that takes a bunch EVs, then theres nowhere else to put the EVs, HP and SpDef dont really matter because it wont be living Mewtwo Grass Knots/Kyogre surfs
Def doesnt matter either because it wont be switching into Rayquaza unless its the Def/Hp Bulky Version
as for Outrage, 130 Atk runs into 140 Def, im pretty sure Groudon can live that assuming its near full health, again, i dont know any of the exact calculations im just guessing around here

the thing is, Mewtwo and Kyogre arnt weak to any of Groudon's attacks, so a 150 BP EQ is the best it can do, and i know Specs Kyogre with HP EVs can survive it, im not sure about mewtwo, but it can if it pumps some HP EVs

also, the idea is to not let Groudon get that RP off without it taking a huge amount of damage, think 60-70 so that after Life Orb, it can be killed by an Rayquaza XSpeed

so if it comes in on something like you're Dialga doing Earth Powers/Thunder/Draco Meteors repeatedly, it will certainly get that RP off
it cant RP with Lugia breathing on it, but most of the time Lugia will be switching in
Jirachi is just asking for Groudon to come in, as it doesnt really fear toxic because it will be dead in a couple of turns anyway, so itll just try to take down as many pokemon as possible
i dont know about Darkrai, it cant switch in but if its left one on one with Groudon and you Trick a Scarf onto it or sleep it, then you just dodged a huge one there

as for DDRay, it could be a problem, Scarf Palkia could help you but i dont really see a spot for it especially since you have Scarf Dialga

EDIT: Your Team is an odd mix of offense and defense, and in ubers that can be awkard
Your team lacks some serious fire power, as nothing on your team can sweep anything except for Latias if you can Pull some Calm Minds.
ScarfChomp, ScarfDialga and to an extent Scarf Darkrai are all revenge killers, you need something that can take down a few pokemon before it faints, Latias usually wont get the chance to Calm Mind because the opponent will bring out Scizor/Metagross, as they both resist Dragon they will Pursuit you to death

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Now the team's got 4 pokemon with offensive capibility that are all walled by steel pokemon thank to the scarfs on dialga and chomp. I would change the dialga set, chomp is already a good revenge killer.

And your chomp outspeeds DD rayquaza.

Yes, latias is usually my primary sweeper, but he typically has nothing to fear from steel walls (not scizor, meta), since he can refresh any status, recover any damage, and then just CM up to the point that all special attackers would get pwned.

I'm considering mewtwo again, probably over Dialga. Probably put an expert belt on him or something. Maybe a CM version.

Since Chomp outspeeds DDray, I don't have to worry unless chomp is in low health and can't take the extreme speed. Usually, a +1 extreme speed only does around 50-60% on him, and a +2 does around 80%.

As for how I win, its usually 1-0 or 2-0 unless Latias or Darkrai sweeps. Tis all about the revenge killing. So perhaps a mewtwo could do some good in there.

EDIT: I've been trying various mewtwos, but it can be pretty frustrating. I first tried a CM version with 3 attacks, but found him kind of sucking, esp against bliss and other pokes that statused him. Then I tried the sub+cm version, but two attacks seriously lacked coverage for me. Then I tried out a four attack mewtwo, but he didn't sweep all too well.

What I really liked about Dialga was that he and lugia completely complemented each other, and neither was vulnerable to rocks. But mewtwo definitel can sweep fairly well. Can someone give me a good mewtwo set?

Also, without Dialga's resists, scarf hera megahorn hurts my team hard.

Bumpity with the fact that this team is getting owned by bug attacks from Heracross and SD scizor. And scizor is a pain too.

Darkmalice

Level 3
EDIT: I've been trying various mewtwos, but it can be pretty frustrating. I first tried a CM version with 3 attacks, but found him kind of sucking, esp against bliss and other pokes that statused him. Then I tried the sub+cm version, but two attacks seriously lacked coverage for me. Then I tried out a four attack mewtwo, but he didn't sweep all too well.
Also, without Dialga's resists, scarf hera megahorn hurts my team hard.
I've used a CM Mewtwo with 3 attacks. He's meant to be a late game sweeper when all the enemy scarfers are dead. CM is for lati@s . he's really hard to wall. bulk up dialga can't wall him due to aura sphere. only blissey with status walls him (others, Mewtwo CMs too high) aura sphere, ice beam and thunder cover a lot.

I dont mean to bump old threads, but I recognize darknessmalice as a good Ubers player and I've always wondered how CM Mewtwo functioned

I tried using him but he never really worked out for me because in the hyper offensive ubers metagame, Mewtwo finds very few chances to CM, similar to Rayquaza's oppurtunities to stat up

So Darkness, how have you created oppurtunities for CM Mewtwo to dominate?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)