Gen 6 Ubers Victim of the Week (Week 32: Kyurem-White)

Approved by Sweep | OP stolen byAragorn the King which was stolen by xDesch
Art by the amazing justinjiaxinghu

Every generation is different and the metagame is constantly changing. While the viable pokemons may vary, the same playstyles, strategies and problems will be encountered along the way. Each week a Pokemon, or a “victim” as we call it, will be chosen and it is your job to find the best, most efficient and practical checks and counters to the victim of the week.

This project aims to help players to find out and know which pokes to be expected and how to efficiently handling. We hope to find new and maybe innovative ways to handle pokes that can make it possible to find new and healthy teambuilding options in the future. Maybe you will be inspired to build a new team around a certain Pokemon?

Procedure

1. Every round, I will nominate a Pokémon for discussion. Within one week's time, you guys will have the ability to discuss and nominate various Pokémon that you think can check or maybe even counter the victim of the week. Note that the moves, EV’s and Nature on the victim of the week is not set in stone, so the more prepared your check/counter is to other variations, the better it is.

2. After the deadline, I will choose the best checks/counters. Should there be a lot of nominations, I will discuss my choices with other skilled players to ensure the selections are not biased and that all nominations have been considered thoroughly. Note that while checking the victim of the week is important, it is usually better to focus on having a set that works good in the metagame or has a decent niche.

3. The results will be archived with an expanded description and the process will continue week after week.

4. We will continue where the old thread stopped.

Rules

1. When nominating your check/counter please include:

2. Follow the definitions for checks, by Aragorn the King, and counters, by MattL:

3. When giving checks, please follow the advice of alexwolf:

4. Check if somebody has reserved a Pokémon before posting.

5. From Friday - Sunday, each person is limited to (reserving and thus) nominating ONE Pokemon. From Monday - Thursday, you can no longer reserve any Pokemon, and every other unfinished reservation will be canceled. You can submit as many checks/counters you want.

you may nominate as many as you want, including additional sets of already nominated checks/counters. You are not allowed to reserve any poke from here on,

6. Helping each-other is encouraged, but please try to be nice!

7. No SHITTY gimmicks!

8. Have Fun!

Archive
Double Dance Primal-Groudon
Checks/Counters: Groudon (WreckDra) Latios (Halcyon.) Flygon (Jibaku)

Calm Mind Primal-Kyogre
Checks/Counters: Ludicolo (DSM01) Palkia (smlj) Rayquaza (Jibaku)

Dragon Dance Mega-Salamence
Checks/Counters: Dialga (Nayrz) Lugia (brokenwings) Skarmory (Mega-Swampert)

Calm Mind Latios
Checks/Counters: Arceus-Dark (ZoroarkForever) Klefki (Steeljackal<3) Aegislash (Hack)

Geomancy Xerneas
Checks/counters: Groudon-Primal (Steeljackal<3) Klefki (PoweredByRevenge) Aegislash (Level 56)

Calm Mind Arceus-Dark
Checks/Counters: Clefable (NotAGymLdr) Arceus-Fairy (based n bad) Ho-Oh (Level 56)

Extreme Killer Arceus-Normal
Checks/Counters: Yveltal (DSM01) Skarmory (based n bad) Clefable (brokenwings) Sableye (Jibaku) Arceus-Ghost (haxiom)

Life Orb Ho-Oh
Checks/Counters: Stealth Rock (PISTOLERO) Arceus-Rock (steelphoenix) Rhyperior (-Leon-)

Life Orb Darkrai
Checks/Counters: Ho-Oh (Mr.378) Klefki (based n bad) Xerneas (Unwanted)

Calm Mind Mega Diancie
Checks/Counters: Ferrothorn (xDesch) Arceus-Ground (Dilwar) Kyogre-Primal (PoweredByRevenge)

Swords Dance Arceus-Ground
Checks/Counters: Kyogre-Primal (Nayrz) Giratina-O (based n bad) Lugia (DSM01)

Calm Mind Mewtwo
Checks/Counters: Sableye-Mega (Dilwar) Wobbufet (xDesch) Aegislash (haxiom)

Life Orb Yveltal
Checks/Counters: Arceus-Fairy (based n bad) Xerneas (haxiom) Arceus-Rock (Level 56)

3 Attacks Mega Mewtwo X
Checks/Counters: Sableye (based n bad) Aegislash (GnralLao) Arceus-Ghost (haxiom)

Power-Up Punch Mega Kankaskhan
Checks/Counters: Sableye (Level 56) Arceus-Ghost (haxiom) Ferrothorn (Mr.378)

Hazard Lead Deoxys-Speed
Checks/Counters: Sableye SparksBlade Cloyster TheAzumaKiller Smeargle Polonium209

Swords Dance Mega-Lucario
Checks/Counters: Giratina-O Polonium209 Lugia Random Passerby Arceus-Ground Level 56

Super Viable All-Out Attacker Metagross
Checks/Counters: Scizor Haruno Arceus-Dark Astroboy Arceus-Ghost TheAzumaKiller

Double/Dragon Dance Rayquaza
Checks/Counters: Arceus-Rock Lord Abbadon Arceus-Fairy Random Passerby Lugia GnralLao

Shaymin-Sky
Checks/Counters: Mega-Mewtwo-Y Sweep Mega-Gengar - Level 56 Latias Lord Abbadon

Dialga
Checks/Counters: Arceus-Ground Dragon God Red Arceus-Dark GnralLao Mega-Tyranitar RandomBro

Swords Dance Excadrill
Check/Counters: Skarmory Dragon God Red Arceus-Ground Level 56 Landorus-Therarian steelphoenix Giratina-Origin GnralLao Rayquaza Random Passerby

Arceus-Ghost
Checks/Couners for...
SD Variant: Darkrai steelphoenix/Sweep Arceus-Dark WreckDra Yveltal Random Passerby
CM Variant: Ho-Oh steelphoenix/Level 56 Clefable GnralLao Blissey Polonium209

Deoxys-Attack
Checks/Counters: Mega-Sableye Tenefix Mega-Scizor GnralLao Mega-Slowbro Astounded

Mega-Mawile
Checks/Counters: "Everything" by steelphoenix

Mega-Gengar
Checks/Counters: Blissey by steelphoenix, Scizor by GnralLao and Giratina by Half of Two
Mixed Rock Polish Primal Groudon
Checks/Counters: Arceus-Water by Level 56, Solrock by Mistress Remilia, and Ho-oh by BrandonBeast

Genesect
Checks/Counters: Aegislash by sparktrain, Primal Groudon by BrandonBeast, Dialga by xDesch

Life Orb Xerneas
Checks/counters: Mega Gengar by Fredrick1, Genesect by kingmidas , Aegislash by xDesch

Hall of Fame

9 - Level 56
7-GnralLao
6 - based n bad
6 - steelphoenix
4 - Random Passerby
4 -haxiom
3 - Polonium209
3 - Jibaku
3 - xDesch
3 - DSM01

week 32: AoA Kyurem-White

Kyurem-White @ Choice Specs / Life Orb
Ability: Turboblaze
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Draco Meteor
- Fusion Flare
- Focus Blast

arent you glad this thing only has 4 moveslots

Last edited:

Level 56

Faded memories
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 6th Grand Slam Winner
Arceus-Water (Counter)
arceus-water.png

Blue Sea (Arceus-Water) @ Splash Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Recover
- Toxic
- Defog
- Ice Beam / Judgment

Waterceus is a very solid counter to most variants of Primal-Groudon, including the RP + 3 attacks set. Thanks to Waterceus's solid bulk, It can easily switch-in against any of Primal-Groudon's moves, and can just toxic stall it, as none of Primal-Groudon's moves can 2HKO Waterceus, making Waterceus a solid counter to Primal-Groudon. EVs and moveset is standard.

Calculations:

252+ SpA Primal Groudon Fire Blast vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Arceus-Water in Harsh Sunshine: 141-166 (31.9 - 37.6%) -- 92.2% chance to 3HKO

96 Atk Primal Groudon Precipice Blades vs. 240 HP / 252+ Def Arceus-Water: 145-172 (32.8 - 39%) -- 99.8% chance to 3HKO

Last edited:
RESERVING GOD RA:

Solrock @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 8 Def / 248 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Morning Sun
- Will-O-Wisp / Stone Edge

154 KG of Pure Power, Solrock is going to fuck your team up, starting by Groudon:
252+ SpA Primal Groudon Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Solrock in Harsh Sunshine: 155-183 (45 - 53.1%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

That's the strongest move of Groudon against SolGod. Get Toxic Stalled, Solrock recovers 66% because of your sun, you mad or what?
Solrock is the sexiest counter/hard check ever ( unless your opp gets the 0,04% )

Last edited:
OP stolen byAragorn the King which was stolen by xDesch
While I have no problem with you taking over, I don't like the way you imply that I "stole" anything. Especially after you directly copied/stole the the OP I had... (ironic, sin't it?).
Also, because you simply copied the OP from me, without asking for a little bit of advice, I'm sorry to tell you that you have to update nearly the entire "Archive" section, with images and click-able link to the sets and the respective checks and counters to each of the victims. That would be 21 weeks you have to update with about 4 links per victim. If you take over this thread, then you should make sure it is done properly, unlike how I did it. If you have any further questions on how to do stuff, just PM me, and I'll help. Now onto your victim...

Latias, Counter

Latias (F) @ Soul Dew
EVs: 248 HP / 28 SpA / 96 SpD / 136 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Roost

This Latias outspeeds max speed base 95's and has a lot of bulk on top of that. I also put some few EVs in SpA, in order to hit slightly harder, which can help in certain scenarios. Against Primal Groudon, it fares pretty good. While Latias doesn't beat every set he has, it can remove the rocks he sets up, threaten him with a Draco, Roost away most damage inflicted and generally annoy him. Latias fares even better against the set we see the victim has, as the best move it has is Dragon Pulse, which is not enough to 2HKO. Latias even has the time to Defog against Groudon and beat him if the opponent does not switch out. Latias only need to watch out for possible Pursuit trapper on the opposing team.

252+ SpA Primal Groudon Dragon Pulse vs. 248 HP / 96 SpD Assault Vest Latias: 112-134 (30.8 - 36.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

Last edited:
nominating based lord mantine as a check to mixed rp don

Mantine @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Veil
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Toxic
- Scald
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

this mon is a lord.tanks anything groudon can throw at it and even avoids unfortunate burns due to water veil and can rest off the damage.tl;dr mantine for s+

252+ SpA Primal Groudon Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mantine in Harsh Sunshine: 93-111 (27.8 - 33.2%) -- 91.4% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Primal Groudon Dragon Pulse vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mantine: 65-77 (19.4 - 23%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery

Reserving Rayquaza.

Rayquaza is the most viable user of air lock/cloud nine to bypass Desolate Land, and for this specific set, a Timid SpDef LO set at full health is able to 2HKO this RP Groudon with Surf + Extreme Speed combo, even if you get a crit-boosted dragon pulse after rocks.

The set:

Rayquaza @ Life Orb
Ability: Air Lock
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Extreme Speed
...add your coverage options here...

The calcs:
--------------------------------------
Rayquaza:

0 SpA Life Orb Rayquaza Surf vs. 0 HP / 104 SpD Groudon: 234-276 (68.6 - 80.9%)
0- Atk Life Orb Rayquaza Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Groudon: 81-95 (23.7 - 27.8%)
Groudon:
252+ SpA Groudon Dragon Pulse vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Rayquaza: 144-170 (34.7 - 41%) -- 55.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Groudon Dragon Pulse vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Rayquaza on a critical hit: 214-254 (51.6 - 61.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

EDIT: LO 252 HP / 252 SpA Rayquaza may OHKO it, but pretty much will not survive a critted dragon pulse after rocks/LO recoil.

252+ SpA Life Orb Rayquaza Surf vs. 0 HP / 104 SpD Groudon: 304-359 (89.1 - 105.2%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Groudon Dragon Pulse vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rayquaza on a critical hit: 280-330 (67.6 - 79.7%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Last edited:
joke nominations are fun and all but can we please keep this serious...i'm gonna make a rule that no victim of the week can have more than one joke nomination from here on out.

also astroboy and xdesch can you talk this over via PM please? I can see why xDesch took offense to the "stolen" bit to be honest, even though I don't think astroboy meant any harm.

Latias as a Counter

Latias @ Soul Dew
EVs: 212 HP / 120 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor

This support variant completely walls mixed RP PDon since the former isn't 2HKOed by any of the latter's moves, even after SR. In return, Latias can Roost its health back and 2HKO with Psyshock + Draco Meteor or 3HKO with Psyshock.
252+ SpA Groudon-Primal Dragon Pulse vs. +1 212 HP / 0 SpD Latias: 122-144 (34.4 - 40.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

+1 120 SpA Latias Psyshock vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Groudon-Primal: 117-138 (34.3 - 40.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+1 120 SpA Latias Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 104 SpD Groudon-Primal: 247-292 (72.4 - 85.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Note: I've used Latias with a Calm Mind boost in the calcs to simulate Soul Dew's boost since, for some reason, the item isn't in the calculator's list.

Last edited:

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
Ho-oh is a counter.
Thank god for Primal Groudon only having those 4 moves, Ho-oh says. Now I can wall him. Primal Groudon can't do much to Ho-oh with it's Fire STAB, and Ho-oh is immune to it's Ground STAB.
252+ SpA Primal Groudon Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 52 SpD Ho-Oh in Harsh Sunshine: 109-129 (26.2 - 31%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
Ho-oh can 2HKO Groudon with Brave Bird, especially thanks to Primal Groudon having a defense lowering nature.
196+ Atk Life Orb Ho-Oh Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Primal Groudon: 199-235 (58.3 - 68.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Ho-oh has Recover to heal up the pitiful damage that Primal Groudon does to him, with his strongest option being Dragon Pulse with that set.
252+ SpA Primal Groudon Dragon Pulse vs. 248 HP / 52 SpD Ho-Oh: 75-89 (18 - 21.4%) -- possible 5HKO
Actually, Fire Blast is it's best bet, lol that's sad.
But Ho-oh can't always come in safe on PDon, as most sets use Stone Edge as coverage, which kills Ho-oh.
96 Atk Primal Groudon Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Ho-Oh: 560-660 (134.9 - 159%) -- guaranteed OHKO
So while Ho-oh needs to know PDon's moveset before it can come in, it's a great counter to this set.
Go Ho-ohs! Caw Caw!
Ho-Oh @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 196 Atk / 52 SpD / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Sacred Fire
- Recover
- Thunder Wave
/Hide

Last edited:
Lugia as a counter:

Lugia @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Toxic
- Ice Beam

Since this Primal Groudon set does not have Stone Edge, Lugia can wall it easily, as well as having an immunity to Precipice Blades.

252+ SpA Primal Groudon Dragon Pulse vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Multiscale Lugia: 39-46 (9.3 - 11%) -- possibly the worst move ever
252+ SpA Primal Groudon Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Multiscale Lugia in Harsh Sunshine: 112-132 (26.9 - 31.8%) -- 45.3% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

With Stealth Rocks:
(Edited)
252+ SpA Primal Groudon Dragon Pulse vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Lugia: 78-92 (18.7 - 22.1%) -- possible 5HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Primal Groudon Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Lugia in Harsh Sunshine: 225-265 (54.2 - 63.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Lugia has no problem walling this PDon set. (EDIT: Forgot to take out Multiscale from the calc when using Stealth Rocks. Should have caught that earlier) Now, for Lugia's options, Ice Beam doesn't do very much on it's own unfortunately.

0 SpA Lugia Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 104 SpD Primal Groudon: 58-69 (17 - 20.2%) -- possible 5HKO

However, Lugia can Toxic stall the PDon, making the process of getting rid of it quicker. It also has various recovery options with Roost and Leftovers, which can heal it up to re-activate Multiscale.

(If the PDon had Stone Edge):
(96 Atk Primal Groudon Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Multiscale Lugia: 77-91 (18.5 - 21.9%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery)

Lugia can counter PDon, as it can switch into Precipice Blades and Dragon Pulse. Fire Blast can be taken well with Multiscale and then have Toxic put onto the PDon, while Roosting to keep the HP up. If Stealth Rocks are up, however, the PDon does end up winning, as Fire Blast does too much damage for Lugia to recover from without having Multiscale active.

Last edited:
Nominating Arceus-Ground as a (incredibly shaky) Check.

Arceus-Ground @ Earth Plate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Extreme Speed / Recover

Where do I begin with this beast. I've literally played hundreds of seconds of Ubers, and I've had just as long to come up with a creative plan to dispose of the most common thing in the tier thus far... Primal Groudon. This was my challenge, my conquest, my destiny! ...and in the end I ended up just finding something with a decent stab that could live an attack and OHKO back. This thing was Arceus-Ground. Now, it's not switching into anything, anytime soon, unless you predict a Rock Polish or some way to get in free or blah blah blah. Typical check stuff.

This isn't some super special, optimized spread to always OHKO Pdon under any circumstances, though the Adamant is a necessity for doing the sort of damage needed to make it stay down. This is something that needs either Stealth Rocks or Spikes on the field to OHKO from full 68.7% of the time. Of course, Extreme Speed can pick up that slack, but at the very best you're leaving something weakened.

This is probably something that'd be better in a Revenge Killer sort of role, but screw it. It's four in the morning and I'm motivated.

252+ Atk Earth Plate Arceus-Ground Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Primal Groudon: 302-356 (88.5 - 104.3%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Earth Plate Arceus-Ground Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Primal Groudon: 302-356 (88.5 - 104.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Arceus-Ground Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Primal Groudon: 68-80 (19.9 - 23.4%) -- possible 5HKO (just to show that 100% of the time you can pick it off if it's boosted and you got an eq off)
92 Atk Primal Groudon Precipice Blades vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Arceus-Ground: 196-232 (51.4 - 60.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Primal Groudon Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Arceus-Ground in Harsh Sunshine: 282-333 (74 - 87.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Primal Groudon Dragon Pulse vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Arceus-Ground: 96-114 (25.1 - 29.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Stealth Rock

Afternote - It's currently 4:11 EST, so I blame any stupidity on that.

Last edited:
Nominating Yveltal as counter

Yveltal @ Assault Vest
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Lax Nature
- U-turn
- Foul Play
- Sucker Punch
- Oblivion Wing

This beast, originally created by me to counter Extreme-killer Arceus, can effectively counter Rock Polish Pdon. With no super effective moves, Yveltal can safely drop repeated Foul Plays on Pdon while remaining at a relatively high amount of hp. If things get messy, Yveltal can also drop a sucker punch to finish the job off.
Through this, it is also possible that yveltal could actually switch into rock polish pdon and still come off top. As a bonus, unlike specific checks, Yveltal can also be used in many other roles, such as checks for various mew forms and offensive mons.

Yveltal also has an advantage in usability. Ho-Oh simply cannot put up with the punishment it receives through Stealth rock, so that alone should lower its viability by a fair amount. One the other hand, the 25% that Yveltal is hit by doesn't matter all that much in the scheme of things.

In summary, Yveltal is a badass mon.
252+ SpA Primal Groudon Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Yveltal in Harsh Sunshine: 225-265 (49.3 - 58.1%) -- 98% chance to 2HKO

???

Modest Darkrai (Check)
Ability: Bad Dreams
Item: Wide Lens
EVs: 4 HP/252 SpA./252 Spe
Dark Void
Substitute
Protect
Blizzard
I'm assuming that Stealth Rock is up on both sides, so Darkrai and Groudon are both battling at 88% HP in Harsh Sunshine. Darkrai leads with Dark Void, which almost always hits thanks to Wide Lens (88% Hit Chance). Darkrai follow-ups with Blizzard and most probably takes the win. (I couldn't find a calculator that has the Wide Lens item or even the Dark Void attack.) Protect and Substitute are Bad Dreams stallers.

Let me know if this post presents a viable candidate, as it is my first post on www.smogon.com.

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
Modest Darkrai (Check)
Dark Void
Substitute
Protect
Blizzard
I'm assuming that Stealth Rock is up on both sides, so Darkrai and Groudon are both battling at 88% HP in Harsh Sunshine. Darkrai leads with Dark Void, which almost always hits thanks to Wide Lens (88% Hit Chance). Darkrai follow-ups with Blizzard and most probably takes the win. (I couldn't find a calculator that has the Wide Lens item or even the Dark Void attack.) Protect and Substitute are Bad Dreams stallers.

Let me know if this post presents a viable candidate, as it is my first post on www.smogon.com.
Blizzard Darkrai isn't viable, please try to post viable candidates, welcome to Smogon.

Modest Darkrai (Check)
Dark Void
Substitute
Protect
Blizzard

The main problem here is that Darkrai would have to come in on the exact same turn as Groudon just to have a chance at beating it. Dark Pulse is probably better in this case as well, since Blizzard is not viable on Darkrai.

I agree with your assessments, BrandonBeast and TheHungrySage. I forgot that Primal Groudon is part Fire, and I neglected to factor in that if Primal Groudon was on the field prior to Darkrai coming out, Primal Groudon would probably have already gotten in a Rock Polish, thus negating the combo of Dark Void-383 Spe. My Darkrai nomination was probably tainted by rough experiences fighting Darkrais on the ladder. (One question: By "viable" in terms of Blizzard, are you saying that Darkrai can't learn Blizzard? My Official National Pokedex book for Omega Ruby and Alpha Saphire says that he can as a TM.)

Thanks for the feedback!

I agree with your assessments, BrandonBeast and TheHungrySage. I forgot that Primal Groudon is part Fire, and I neglected to factor in that if Primal Groudon was on the field prior to Darkrai coming out, Primal Groudon would probably have already gotten in a Rock Polish, thus negating the combo of Dark Void-383 Spe. My Darkrai nomination was probably tainted by rough experiences fighting Darkrais on the ladder. (One question: By "viable" in terms of Blizzard, are you saying that Darkrai can't learn Blizzard? My Official National Pokedex book for Omega Ruby and Alpha Saphire says that he can as a TM.)

Thanks for the feedback!
As in "not viable", he means that Blizzard is not a good option on Darkrai and that it has better options and moves to achieve better coverage and attacking power. Blizzard simply hits very few threats, and is still very inaccurate, even with the Wide Lens. Most players would use Ice Beam instead of Blizzard 95% of the time, but Darkrais usually don't need Ice coverage. Here's a link to an analysis on Darkrai, showing its more viable options: http://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/pokemon/darkrai/
Also, about damage calculators, they only calculated damage each move will inflict, without taking any accuracy modifications into account. Therefore, it won't have an option to pick non-damaging moves, like Dark Void, as they don't inflict any damage. This is the calc you should use: https://pokemonshowdown.com/damagecalc/

I advice you to have a look at the forums here, see how it works, and look at the most common sets for different pokemon and such, in order to gain experience. You can also ask other skilled players for help, and you'll usually get some tips, advice or be redirected to a place were you can learn even more. After you've seen how things work here, you should be able to join other discussions and contribute on your own in a much better way. Hope this cleared up some things.

Week 30!
This week's mon is Genesect!

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Download
EVs: 248 Atk / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Ice Beam
- Explosion

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
Reserving Primal Groudon

r
RAWR!!! It is the lord of Ubers, Primal Groudon, coming out of the dirt to counter another threat!!!!! Genesect cannot do much to PDon at all, as you can see by these calcs:

248 Atk Genesect U-turn vs. 128 HP / 0 Def Primal Groudon: 36-42 (9.6 - 11.2%) -- possible 9HKO

248 Atk Genesect Iron Head vs. 128 HP / 0 Def Primal Groudon: 41-48 (10.9 - 12.8%) -- possible 8HKO

It cannot do anything with it's STABS.

+1 8 SpA Genesect Ice Beam vs. 128 HP / 0 SpD Primal Groudon: 124-147 (33.2 - 39.4%) -- 100% chance to 3HKO

It still doesn't do too much with Ice Beam.

248 Atk Genesect Explosion vs. 128 HP / 0 Def Primal Groudon: 170-201 (45.5 - 53.8%) -- 41.8% chance to 2HKO

It's biggest way to deal damage is to kill itself, while this happens when PDon touches Genesect.

252+ Atk Primal Groudon Fire Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Genesect in Harsh Sunshine: 1084-1276 (383 - 450.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

0- SpA Primal Groudon Overheat vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Genesect in Harsh Sunshine: 1252-1476 (442.4 - 521.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Ouch.

Now you can see, that Primal Groudon is an awesome counter to Scarf Genesect.

Groudon @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVS: 252 Atk / 128 HP / 128 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Precipes Blades
- Fire Punch
- Stone Edge
- Rock Polish / Swords Dance
/Hide

Last edited:

Ah Kyogre a mysterious force of nature. It has unbelievable beauty and the anger to squish steel bugs. Here is my set.

Kyogre @ Focus Sash
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Origin Pulse

Just try to use explosion=dead. Try any move=dead. That is because you got the pulse of origins that can OHKO this thing with ease. That is all.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)