Tournament Wins

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought that it would be a good idea to keep track of a user's tournament wins on their profile. Not just Tour and ST wins, but other ones as well. This way, people can look at a user's profile and see his or her accomplishments.

The way I could see this working is simple. All you'd need is a separate category in a profile called "Tournament Wins." This category would only be changeable by tournament mods. Once a user has won a tournament, the tournament mod would simply add the name of the tournament that the user has won to the category and perhaps embed a link to the signup thread of that tournament.

I realize that the Tournament Listing thread accomplishes this somewhat, but it'd be cool if a user could simply look at a profile and recognize the user for his or her tournament accomplishments.

I may be wrong, but I think making "a separate category in a profile" requires editing the vBulletin code. Especially if it's to be only editable by mods.

Maybe it could be possible to give a sticker?
Do you mean a badge for every tournament win? That would be a bad idea because some tournaments (like Tour and ST) are more prestigious than others, and they really wouldn't receive the recognition that they deserve. Also, it would get annoying to have to make a new badge for every tournament. And people's profiles would get cluttered with badges, too.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I believe there are plugins to include lines of text underneath standard signatures that can say whatever. Another VB forum I use has a plugin listing what events someone is attending under their signature. A list of tournaments won could be done.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This was talked about for a while, considered, and ended up being rejected. There are a lot of tournaments, and the vast majority are extremely gimmicky to the point that winning them is more a test of one's ability to adapt to gimmicky bullshit than a test of actual skill. The "official" tournaments (Tour, Tournament, and Frontier) each have their own "trophy", and to add trophies or mentions for winners of random tournaments would devalue the winning of much more prestigious and difficult tournaments (which are the trophy-winning tournaments).

reyscarface

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a defending SPL Championdefeated the Smogon Frontier
World Defender
Isnt adapting to gimmick bullshit a skill? I mean you have to learn and test in order to have complete knowledge of the "gimmicky bullshit" metagame and that takes as much effort as an OU tourney.

To add to what rey said, the fact that such "gimmick" tournaments almost always feature well known (and skilled) battlers in their final rounds probably means that they still involve a good amount of skill.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Random note: Is anything stopping you from just putting "I won the Stupid Bullshit Gimmick Tournament 3!" in your sig?

Aeolus

Bag
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
I don't really oppose this... but it does take some coding effort. Our programmers are really burdened at the moment with more pressing projects so I don't feel like this would be a good use of our very scarce technical resources.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)