Gen 4 Torment Tran Semi Stall

As the title would suggest this team revolves around using torment heatran to slowly break down the opponent's team.

The Team
Torment Heatran loves very specific types of support namely hazards. If it can get up a sub while the opponents is switching and then torment a lot of pokemon are just sat on, thus they have to either switch or just pp stall the heatran. So our first mon which supports heatran is Roserade.

roserade.jpg

Roserade @ Black Sludge
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Toxic Spikes
- Synthesis Rest
- Spikes
- Energy Ball

Roserade has some incredible qualities on Offense with sleep powder, leaf storm etc however the qualities we are after are a little different. We want a bulky mon with can setup both spikes and toxic spikes which is one of Roserades many incredible qualities. Now one question which has to be answered is why not forretress. My reasons for Roserade over Forry are simple. Forretress allows sucine to setup and lacks the recovery ability of Roserade. Now while this ability of Roserade is dramatically reduced by sand, it's still an important quality regardless which allows me to use to sit on waters types for longer.

Roserades general role is setup hazards,check physical threats like tyranitar and help remove the issue of suicune and other bulky waters.

The next hazard to take care of is stealth rocks which are incredibly important. So important that it general is setup at lead due to the shear amount of mons it limits. One of which is an incredible pain for this team to deal with(gyarados).
So naturally we need something which can reliably setup rocks and switch in later to keep then up if they have a spinner.

Enter Swampert

swampert.jpg

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Atk / 124 SpD
Careful Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

Swampert is an incredible mon in dpp, it can reliably setup rocks and acts as a tank for the team helping against setup mons like tyranitar. It also has the important role of being able to take a hit from gyarados at +1 which is very much need.

One thing that teams which use hazards are annoyed by is starmie which is why our next mon is on the team.

tyranitar.jpg

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Tyranitar can pursuit trap starmie helping to keep the menace away from my precious spikes. Whilst this mon is necessary for the team to operate, it gives incredible support which the team needs to take of threats which are harder to deal with such as the previously mentioned Gyarados and Suicune.

Speaking of starmie spin blocking is almost a necessity for a team with the amount of hazards this team has. And whilst Roserade has the bulk to stay around it's unlikely to get the amount of setup turns needed to make this team work if the opposing team can spin. Therefore Gengar seems a perfect member of the team.

download (1).jpeg

Gengar @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Substitute
- Pain Split

As stated before Gengar has the role of spin blocking the opposing team and can threaten them back with powerful attacks. The set i chose for Gengar was subsplit, this is for 2 reasons. As a spin blocker rotom-A generally outclasses it except for 1 small reason. Focus blast which reliably kills Tyranitar, if my spin blocker is trapped then the opposing team could get of a spin ruining torment trans chances of beating the opposing team. Hence the need to remove Tyranitar from the picture. Now the second reason why i chose Subsplit was recovery, this team need it's mons to stick around for longer games and sub split gengar can do this semi-reliably.

The main support for Heatran on this team has now been cover. The one thing im lacking is trick support which while incredibly useful isn't entirely necessary for me to beat most mons with heatran. So the final mon on this team is simply here to cover up weaknesses.

The biggest being setup sweapers and a few of the standard stall breakers( Mixed Nite and Ape as well as Breloom). So bulky Zapdos makes sense in the final slot.

zapdos.jpg

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 228 Def / 32 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Roost
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Toxic

Thunderbolt helps to dish out damage to many of the standard threats which this teams faces. Toxic allows me to spread poison against other levitating mons such as rotom whilst HP ice allows me to smack Breloom, Gliscor and Dragonite. Zapdos is a great pick however the lack of speed could be viewed as a slight concern as the team is slightly weak to setup threats such as Dragonite and Gyarados.

The final mon on this team was the first to be mentioned
download.jpeg

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 Spe
Calm Nature
- Torment
- Lava Plume
- Protect
- Substitute

Torment heatrans role on this team is to clean up and stall out the opposing team. It can Substitute and protect stall the majority of the meta game. Torment makes this mon exceptional allowing it to stall out it's normal counters when it has it's sub up.

This mon has one main weakness which is setup. This is yet another reason why toxic spikes are so necessary. However the majority of setup mons have ways around this. Namely flying type or lum berry. Hence this mon requires those pokes to be taken cares of.

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Atk / 124 SpD
Careful Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 Spe
Calm Nature
- Torment
- Lava Plume
- Protect
- Substitute

Roserade @ Black Sludge
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Rest
- Spikes
- Energy Ball

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Gengar @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Substitute
- Pain Split

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 228 Def / 32 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Roost
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Toxic

Feel free to ask any questions about how the team deals with different threats or if a certain move(or mon) might be better.

I am considering a trick scarf Rotom instead of Zapdos but then i might be a little rotom weak- but i guess that's what T tar is for.

Edit:

Changing Synthesis for Rest on Roserade due to Natural Cure synergy with rest.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)