Torment Steelix

Torment Steelix
http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/steelix

So, uh, yeah, I made this a long time ago and was encouraged to post it since others are trying it. lol. So the idea here is to Sub up while your opponent switches in something that can beat Steelix, only to have Steelix’s counter owned in the process thanks to Torment. : ) It’s cool. Try it.

name: Torment
move 1: Torment
move 2: Substitute
move 3: Toxic
move 4: Earthquake / Gyro Ball
evs: 252 HP/124 Atk/132 SDef
nature: Sassy or Careful
item: Leftovers

Why this set deserves to be on-site:
-Great stalling Steelix. Works similarly to Heatran in OU. Not much can hit Steelix super-effectively with two different attacks.
-Beats several of Steelix’s common counters (cough Milotic cough).
-Can beat variants of Rhyperior, Donphan, Arcanine, Milotic, Venusaur (even SD), Houndoom, Absol, etc. Yay. Of course, these things have to be switching in. You can't beat them if you switch in to them yourself.
-Just going to list an example:

Steelix comes in on something it can wall, like Swellow (watch out for U-turn though).
Opponent switches in Rhyperior, Steelix Subs.
Rhyperior uses Earthquake, Steelix uses Torment.
Rhyperior uses like Megahorn? This doesn't do much to Steelix, so Steelix can sub again, Toxic, or attack.
If Steelix subbed, Rhyperior uses EQ while Steelix subs again.
Steelix now can use Toxic or attack while Rhyperior fails to break Steelix's Sub.
Ad nauseum.

Additional Comments:
-Protect is cool. Don't have to eat a lot of HP with Sub if you run Protect, but you're giving up a valuable move like Toxic or your attack. Adds Leftovers recovery though.
-Sandstorm support is very cool. Your opponent takes damage while you don’t.
-Gyro Ball vs. Earthquake. Earthquake hits like Fire types and Toxicroak (whom you can beat with this set) and basically anything Ground weak, really, while Gyro hits Mismagius (who otherwise beats you). Earthquake has more PP. Etc. More later.
-EVs are so that 0 SAtk Milotic never breaks your Sub.
-Alternative EV Spread of 252 HP/48 Atk/208 SDef Careful/Sassy is usable so that Houndoom Dark Pulse doesn’t break your Sub—this is recommended if you’re running Gyro Ball, since you have no way to OHKO Houndoom.
-Wish support sounds useful in theory, but this Steelix does just fine with Leftovers recovery.
-0 IV in Speed with a Sassy nature if running Gyro Ball; otherwise, Careful nature with normal Speed.

Teammates and Counters:
--Moltres can be a problem since HP Grass breaks Steelix’s Sub.
--Poliwrath is an issue.
--Encore blows. Clefable is a huge pain. Probably your biggest counter.
--Mismagius is a counter if Gyro Ball isn’t run (still hard to break past it though).
--Sandstorm please.
--Spiritomb can be useful against like Poliwrath and Mismagius, while Fighting types can be used for Clefable.
--Thick Fat Hariyama is useful.
--Things that lure in Pokemon Steelix can nab a Substitute on are useful. Again, fighting types (can lure in Swellow without luring in Fire types). Hariyama is the best partner in my opinion.

Thanks for reading.

Why not just make 252 HP/48 Atk/208 SDef Careful/Sassy the standard ev spread instead of just ni additional comments? Do you really need attack at all with this set?

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Just running through the set, I wouldn't bother with the slash on Earthquake. I would value more the ability to hit everything bar Weezing with something, especially considering that the two types immune to Poison - Steel and Poison - are hit super effectively with Steelix's STAB. Gyro Ball should be AC at best.

Also, you should probably list in Teammates sweepers that benefit from Steelix's counters (ie. bulky Waters) being statused and weakened - stuff like Arcanine, Kabutops and whatnot.

One thing about this set that I don't like is that, unlike Heatran in OU, this Steelix can't really do anything in the way of general damage, so it simply becomes a question of luring out and Toxicing Steelix's counters, in which case I would be more inclined to use Baitlix. Can you explain more what this set offers a team beyond spreading status, where Registeel would usually be preferable?

Bluewind

GIVE EO WARSTORY
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
You should definitely give Gyro ball bye, as its PP is way to low to be used as Steelix's only attack on a set like this.

I'm really skeptical about this set's effectiveness, not only due to the reasons mentioned by him, but also because many teams tend to pack more than one mon/attack that can break Steelix's Substitute. Against Venusaur, for example, it can simply Leaf Storm you the first time and use Sleep Powder the second, getting you on a very tough spot, added to the fact you can't Toxic it at all. Finally, this set fails to hit many of the things it should like Mismagius and Altaria (Flyers and Levitaters in general), and counters a way too limited group of pokés. Finally, I'm pretty sure Milotic with Ice Beam beats it one on one, and having to pray it has neither of Ice Beam and Rest, yet affirming it's beaten one on one is kinda pushing it IMHO.

tl;dr: Isn't the easiest thing to bring in (mainly because it doesn't hit things that it should, like Scyther), completely nullified by Heal Bell, countered by many common pokés, beaten by many alternative sets of mons it should beat like SubPerior, Magnet Rise Aggron, anything with Rest and it seems it doesn't take out more than one poké at bestest. I know I'm mentioning some of the worst cases ever and that I am dismissing Gyro Ball here, but those are some quite plausible situations.

Finally, I'm pretty sure Milotic with Ice Beam beats it one on one, and having to pray it has neither of Ice Beam and Rest, yet affirming it's beaten one on one is kinda pushing it IMHO.
How does Ice Beam Milotic beat it? If you read, the EVs ensure that Ice Beam won't break Steelix's Sub.

Bluewind

GIVE EO WARSTORY
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
I saw no mention to that barring the "EVs ensure 0 SpAtk Milotic never breaks your Subs", which led me to assume you were talking about HP Grass. I rest the rest (lol pun) of my case, though.

@ PK: the set that I actually ran was Gyro Ball + EQ with Toxic Spikes support from offensive Drapion, yes. however, most of this forum is opposed to the use of Toxic Spikes as far as I know (mostly due to Venuaur), so I left Toxic as the main option.

I'm not too sure about this set's effectiveness, for the same reasons that everyone mentioned, mainly that this set isn't about causing attacking damage, a status-spreading set can be better used by other Pokemon, and that many Pokemon can break Steelix's Sub easily. Also, Physical Wall Weezing (yes, it's still being used) absolutely walls this set if Steelix lacks Gyro Ball (and even then Weezing shrugs it off easily). It can use Flamethrower to break the Sub as you use Torment, then Will-o-Wisp you before you set up the Sub again, which will eventually kill you as Burn damage takes away more health each turn than Lefties recovers it. I can see this set working on a Stall team, though, but even then I don't think it is the best choice for Toxic spreader.

Actually, as I remember, when I used this set a few metagames ago (lol, sorry, I haven't tried it recently), I didn't use Toxic--I used Protect. Toxic is probably a useful option, however. Anyway watching a few matches of it indicates to me that Gyro Ball is probably the more useful of the two options, despite its somewhat meager PP. Steelix doesn't attack that often anyway.

The purpose of the set is not to spread status but to stall (hopefully Sandstorm damage, Toxic damage, Life Orb, etc.), in a manner similar to Tormenttran in OU.

Actually, as I remember, when I used this set a few metagames ago (lol, sorry, I haven't tried it recently), I didn't use Toxic--I used Protect. Toxic is probably a useful option, however. Anyway watching a few matches of it indicates to me that Gyro Ball is probably the more useful of the two options, despite its somewhat meager PP. Steelix doesn't attack that often anyway.

The purpose of the set is not to spread status but to stall (hopefully Sandstorm damage, Toxic damage, Life Orb, etc.), in a manner similar to Tormenttran in OU.

Substitutes don't activate Life Orb recoil.

Upstart

Copy Cat
I have to agree I don't find this set being effective as it is not only relatively easy to play around. It simply loses its ability to wall things that should be no problem as it attempts to toxic stall stuff. And as other said the problem is that steelix isn't heatran and lacks the ability to hit stuff.

Edit: And won't your situation of stalling out a pokemon lower your own HP beyond useable. Such as your rhyperior situation. If you are willing to devote a pokemon to taking out one pokemon each match you might as well use explosion and safe yourself some time.

Eo Ut Mortus

Elodin Smells
is a Programmeris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
I actually like this. The main reason I'd use this set over say BaitLix is that it lets you actually keep Steelix around while wearing down Milotic and other common switch-ins, most of whom are Pokemon whom Exploding on is arguably a waste. You do lose against a number Pokemon, such as RestTalk Milotic and Weezing, but it's not like regular Steelix is going to beat those anyway.

Losing health from Substitute was generally not a problem for me. Using Toxic first or double switching (i.e. more traditional forms of scouting Steelix's counters) can help with health conservation. You should really Substitute only when you know that your counter is vulnerable to Torment. And naturally, Wish support was fairly helpful.

Gyro Ball and Earthquake are both viable; I used Gyro Ball when testing this for Mismagius, but without Earthquake, you're set-up bait for Registeel. Keep them slashed in my opinion; your choice of attack will depend on the rest of your team.

Anyway...

QC Approved 1/2

Eo used this against me then i tried for myself and it worked pretty well. Interesting set to say the least.

Have you considered Roar as an AC mention? It'd be great when your opponent discovers he has no way of hitting you and switches out, only to have his counter Roar'ed and something else brought in. Also stops random stuff from trying to setup on you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)