tips on running?

right. I'm a little kid who just started high school. In 8th grade, I was considered "fast" and I absolutely ate everyone on the track team in terms of long distance running. But going into high school has changed everything. I'm in a new place, and what used to be amazingly good at my old school is what I'm finding to be mediocre, or 'meh' at best. I ran at a track meet today, and I did rather poorly. My two events are the 800 meter and the 1600 meter. I ran a 2:34 800 and a 5:46 1600. These scores used to be amazing at my other small school, but now they are just not good enough. Simply put, I've been immersed in real running now, but I find that I've just not been able to keep up (no pun intended). Despite the work I put in during all the practices, my actual times just don't reflect it. My coach this year is mean and unapproachable, so instead, I'm going to the ever-so-friendly smogon community. What do you guys know about running, be it a new way to practice, stretch, or a specific way to run (actually, I don't know the 'proffesional' way to run, I just kinda move my legs and arms in whatever way happens to be comfortable at the time), that could possibly help me to improve? I'm rather desperate, especially after today's performance. Please give whatever input you may have, because, as I said, I'm desperate. Whatever you may know is fine.

Really it is just practice in my experience. At the start of the year I couldn't run a 5k in under 30 minutes. After two weeks of practice I was running a 5k in around 20 minutes despite getting bad shin splints.

Even better in a way, I have always had trouble breathing while running, and I got it really bad a day or two ago. So I have a high possibility of having exercise induced asthma. If I can get that treated then I can shave a minute or so off my time since I will be able to breath better.

i do have one trick for you. lead with your hips. seriously, push your hip forwards when you run so it's always in front. i'm no sprinter but do give it a try, it works for me.

id recommend stretching well before you run. if you know that you have some certain muscles that always get sore or you always pull, then be sure to stretch them thoroughly before you run. i had a track meet today actually, and pulled my calf muscle when all i did was hj. so yeah, stretch before running. also, stretch after running as well. as a long distance, you should know this though, so nevermind.
also, i found out i am always able to run faster when im running with someone else. so if you would like to practice, ask one of your friends to go running with you to build up endurance, which will help out as well.
additionally, make sure you wear good spikes. i knew a guy who wore sprinting spikes for the mile and fucked up his shins and calves something fierce. couldnt run for about a month.
and my most important info is
go to practice
seriously. last year, my 400 time was mid 50's. this year, i cant even run a full 400. i ditch every other day, and the days that i do go, i work on hurdles. so go to practice.

Lol happened to me back when I was in primary school where you were like the best, but since changing to high school you notice there are many people similar or even better than you.

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I ran a 2:34 800 and a 5:46 1600.
Those times while not up to standards are still a good start. I used to run cross country and track when I was in high school and continued participating in road races (5k to marathon distances) in my adulthood.

While I may have never made state qualifying times, I always tried to focus on pacing each race so I had a little extra left to get me quicker to the finish. Best to run what comes naturally as each of us have our own patterns to get familiar with.

Well running is a very violent moment for your entire body, and can lead to poor joints later in life and can really really mess up your knee's. So if I where you, I would ride a bike. I ride 5 miles minimum every day.

Since you already have decent times, it may just be your aerobic ability that is limiting you. A problem that our girl's distance team (I'm not a girl) has that I've noticed is that none of them lift there knees at all, and that IMO is one of the most important aspects of running. As a pole-vaulter, great posture is important, and having high, driving legs encourages that, as you can't get your knees up without having a tall body.

It could also possibly be pacing - do you burn out in the beginning trying to keep up with the front of the pack, or do you keep a good pace and try to pass people through the corners and then cruise/stride it out on the sides (answer should be number 2). The best way to work on pacing would be to talk ask your coach about it, but if you can't do that, then looking it up would work. We did something last year when I ran distance that helped a lot with pacing - it'd basically be a ladder (5 laps, 4 laps, 3 laps, etc. down to one), but you'd sprint the curved 100s and jog the straight 100s. It's kind of an extreme example, but it helps on the field.

If it is your aerobic ability (like you feel as you're not getting enough oxygen if you run faster) or if your legs aren't don't feel strong enough, there are lots of easy things you can do to fix that, including running, swimming (easy on the joints), lifting, etc.

Last, it could just be that you really haven't grown that much yet - I changed a lot from 8-10th grade. In 8th grade, my best 1600 was like 7:03, but then next year as a freshman I ran my first 1600 in 5:28. 2:18 was my best time for an 800 as a freshman, but this year, without having done a single bit of distance work (although I am running a bit more now instead of vaulting due to a new coach), I ran one once on the "B" team and got a 2:14, the second-fastest time for our team that day. My 400 also improved by like 5 seconds - I now run a 55 (still kind of slow :P). Time really does help, sometimes just as much as anything else.

Hope I helped, and have fun running ;).

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
There is no magic technique...in fact, I disagree that there's even a "professional way to run." Each person has their own style, and you just need to refine and hone that style until you feel comfortable in it. Look at Haile Gebrselassie for example, one of the best runners in history, but his style is unlike anyone else...I can't really explain it so here's a quote:

"It was running to school that he developed his odd style, with the right arm swinging back and forth while the left arm remains static and cocked."

When he became established, his coaches tried endlessly to make him change his technique to a more conventional method, but he had none of it. And look where it got him! And guess what the best way to develop your own style is? Yup; practice, practice, practice! :)

Well running is a very violent moment for your entire body, and can lead to poor joints later in life and can really really mess up your knee's.
Dude, I would have laughed at that 2 years ago, but now my knee is riddled with steroids and I'm expecting a stem cell operation next month. All the running I've done in the past has eroded my knee to the point where walking to the shop is a mammoth task. I have no regrets though, because I loved every minute I spent running. I'd advise you to know your limits though, and don't be afraid to have the occassional week off.

Lee said:
Dude, I would have laughed at that 2 years ago, but now my knee is riddled with steroids and I'm expecting a stem cell operation next month. All the running I've done in the past has eroded my knee to the point where walking to the shop is a mammoth task. I have no regrets though, because I loved every minute I spent running. I'd advise you to know your limits though, and don't be afraid to have the occassional week off.
Yeah I still don't think I would ever go running after seeing what it has done to my dads knee's and reading up on it. Swimming is the best form a cardio exercise, then biking. They are both low impact work outs which work the muscles without putting to much stress on the joints.

None the less, I'm a skateboarding fanatic, which is very high impact, but I can't quit what I love.

If you faired well in middle school, I'm sure that you'll evenually develop into a great high school runner. I know that when I ran Cross Country my freshman year, I was a little bit intimidated by just the aspect of facing off against kids twice my size. I am dead serious in saying that I was only 5'4" yet I managed to make 5th man, running a freshman PR of 18:26. Now, I'm 6'2" and running over a minute faster. It just takes time, growing has alot to do with why you feel like a small fish in a big pond.

What too many people ignore in becoming better runners is one thing: RUNNING. Just getting out and getting the miles in is the best way to make yourself better. It doesn't matter how difficult your coach is to deal with, you should be able to approach him and ask for a well structured running plan. If you can manage to work your way up to 50-60 miles a week next summer for CC season, it will make a huge difference.

The more you run, the more your body adjusts to it, making you much more economical. Your bones start to rebuild themselves to take on a runner's demands (the full process takes 7 years, but it's a start), you develop higher tolerances for pain (this is a big part of improving), improve your overall endurance, and have a much better mentality when it comes to getting out and putting in the miles.

For now though, there is no quick fix for you, to be honest. You should start looking towards next season and how you can prepare leading up to them. There are no quick fixes to make you a better runner, getting out there day in and day out every season is when you learn the most about your capabilities.

If you really want something, focus on your race strategy. Plan out your race time goal (make this realistic, no more than a 10 second PR for the mile) and break down your splits for every lap. Know when you start to slow down (usually on the 3rd lap in the mile) and make sure that you push yourself much harder on this lap. Being a smart racer is half the battle in track when you're evenly matched with the opponent.

If you faired well in middle school, I'm sure that you'll evenually develop into a great high school runner. I know that when I ran Cross Country my freshman year, I was a little bit intimidated by just the aspect of facing off against kids twice my size. I am dead serious in saying that I was only 5'4" yet I managed to make 5th man, running a freshman PR of 18:26. Now, I'm 6'2" and running over a minute faster. It just takes time, growing has alot to do with why you feel like a small fish in a big pond.

What too many people ignore in becoming better runners is one thing: RUNNING. Just getting out and getting the miles in is the best way to make yourself better. It doesn't matter how difficult your coach is to deal with, you should be able to approach him and ask for a well structured running plan. If you can manage to work your way up to 50-60 miles a week next summer for CC season, it will make a huge difference.

The more you run, the more your body adjusts to it, making you much more economical. Your bones start to rebuild themselves to take on a runner's demands (the full process takes 7 years, but it's a start), you develop higher tolerances for pain (this is a big part of improving), improve your overall endurance, and have a much better mentality when it comes to getting out and putting in the miles.

For now though, there is no quick fix for you, to be honest. You should start looking towards next season and how you can prepare leading up to them. There are no quick fixes to make you a better runner, getting out there day in and day out every season is when you learn the most about your capabilities.

If you really want something, focus on your race strategy. Plan out your race time goal (make this realistic, no more than a 10 second PR for the mile) and break down your splits for every lap. Know when you start to slow down (usually on the 3rd lap in the mile) and make sure that you push yourself much harder on this lap. Being a smart racer is half the battle in track when you're evenly matched with the opponent.

without a doubt the best post here. I knew from the beginning that there is no quick fix. I'm just appalled at the fact that I put in even more than everyone else, and yet I find that while I'm progressing kinda fast, everyone else is moving faster in terms of improvement. that's why the regular old scheduled practices just aren't enough, I guess. I don't run enough, and I'm sure of that already. the problem is, I have absolutely no way of figuring out how much to run. As I said, I'm an absolute coward and piss my pants just looking at my coach. I have no idea myself about what a good workout is, and really, this is my first real track season. at this point, I'm just kinda going here to ask if there's anything stupid that I'm missing, going to smogon out of desperation, in fear of making an even bigger fool of myself in front of coach rather than in front of people I don't even know. but I guess I haven't missed anything *snaps fingers*. as the above poster said 5k, what do you suggest as far as practicing?

5k's post basically hits the nail on the head, getting the miles in is the most important thing you can do for yourself (at least until you what's best for your own body, some runners prefer more or less miles) Basically everything else in his post is useful too.

Trust me, you're not alone though. The transition between middle school and high school is tough for a lot of runners, myself included. The feeling of going from amazing to mediocrity is hard, but we all have to get over it. High school is a much bigger pond, you're gonna have to work a lot harder.

I'm no expert (despite the name), but 5:48 is a fine time to work off of. I just barely managed to break 5 my freshman year(debatable, there were literally watches with 4:59 and ones with 5), starting out around 5:30ish that season.

Also, why the hell is your coach making you run two distance events at one meet? That's only going to make both your times worse in the end.

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
FiveKRunner certainly is not a runner for nothing. Back when I was competitively very active, putting in the distance always helped but putting in the necessary speed workouts helps you get the edge in races. While track workouts help with pacing for track races, I would recommend tempo or fartlek workouts on grassy areas or golf courses where permitted as that can help strengthen you even more.

I haven't read the advice of others but I recommend you run with a rhythm. With a rhythm it is much easier to keep your momentum going especially if you are a distance runner.

Some other things I found that help are pumping your arms through your pockets. If you keep them straight while you run you're putting less of a strain on your body and also keeping your momentum going.

Obviously as a distance runner you want to run heel to toe consistently.

Besides that you could inhale through your nose and exhale through your mouth.

Those teensy technical things won't matter much when you get on the track though. Staying calm and concentrated will help you win. When the race starts don't push yourself if others are ahead of you, it will also ruin your pace. It is important you stay true to your pace, and if in the end it is not enough, RUN, run like the wind.

These are all things I did back in my sophomore year of high school to improve my times. Practicing while implementing will really help. So if you want to win you have to be committed because some of those other kids go to specific schools just to do sports.

If you're a beginner, just starting out training, what's important is the buildup of miles. You generally start out low, doing no more than 2-3 miles a day, 6 days a week. However, the pace of these runs will vary. One or two will be at an easy pace, a few will be at a steady "tempo" pace (usually about 85% of your max effort), and the lower milage days are usually run much harder. Since you're just starting out, I'd highly suggest this training plan maker: http://runnersworld.com/cda/smartcoach/1,7148,s6-238-277-278-0-0-0-0-0,00.html
Put in the milage that you're willing to run now and it will gradually increase it for you, along with the variation of workouts.

For Stathakis, the Runner's World Smart Coach that I recommended above could work for you. However, for runners that are a bit more experienced, I think that it's a bit lacking. I personally don't take days off (which is probably retarded on my part) but you certainly don't need a day off a week. I'd suggest for every 20 days that you run, it would be okay to take one day off. I've also found that it gives too many easy days a week for my liking. It would be okay to up the pace on one or two of those.

What I would do is take what that program gives you and modify it to your needs. Add a mile or two on certain days or increase the pace to something that you're comfortable with. I wouldn't worry so much about doing speedwork during the summer either for training. That comes more or less during CC season. What you can do though, as someone suggested above is fartlek workouts or interval training. They work on speed, while stringing together all of your speed sessions for one long, continuous endurance workout.

If you want, I'd be willing to help you work out a plan as well. Alot of it comes down to your attitude though. Keep a positive outlook on it and don't let bad races get you down. My 10th grade CC season was lousy in comparison to how well my freshman year went. I really improved during my junior and senior years. You shouldn't have a problem with this though, you obviously want to run well if you're looking for help.

Carl

or Varl
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
While getting in the miles and essentially running all the time is the best way to improve your times, just be sure to not overdo it. This is how you burn out during the middle of the season. Improving your time every race is always ideal so you want to make sure it stays that way come your last race of the season when it will probably matter most. Follow your track workouts doing the week since you're going to have to and then on the weekend go out for a long decent run to up your mileage on Saturday or Sunday. Taking one day off a week won't be a major setback in your process, trust me. Most schools have races on Saturdays so it wouldn't even be like taking a day off in those situations. Just don't run yourself into the ground when you're trying to rack up those miles.

If you're going to take anything away from this thread it's to "keep going." That mentality is extremely important in all facets of running be it training, racing, whatever. Your times really aren't much worse than mine were at your age. I didn't start running track until the middle of my sophomore year and my 800s for sure were around that time. By the end of my senior year I had dropped those times significantly to where they were actually very competitive. You'll get there if you just keep going.

Also, why the hell is your coach making you run two distance events at one meet? That's only going to make both your times worse in the end.
I sort of lol'ed at this since I almost always ran 2, sometimes 3, events per meet. Some schools don't have the talent pool or people in general to not do this.

Alright, I've been running competitively for a few years so I think I can be of some help here:
Here are my times so far: 1600 4:49 followed by a 3200 10:40 at the same meet, 5k 17:29, 800 2:10ish but I haven't run it fresh(it's always followed by the mile) I'm a junior in high school but all of those times were run as a sophomore(I ran with scoliosis up until my Junior XC year when it really became a problem. I kept running through the pain because my team needed the points and really messed myself up. I couldn't run for a two months and then had to work back up to the shape I used to be in after having gotten my back fixed. I'm almost there but that's beside the point. Note to the readers: never run with an injury, take time off and rest yourself instead. It only makes the injury worse and further lengthens the time it takes for your body to recover)
Ok, now to get right on down to it:
1) Get a good pair of running shoes to train in. I personally like New Balance, but Brooks, Asics, Mizuno(I personally hated these), and some Nikes are all good brands. In general they don't come cheap but you can get a decent pair at Kohl's department store for around $40 on sale. Your body will thank you!
2) Always, always stay hydrated. You should always drink a minimum of 3-4 bottles of water a day, or, in other words, 1/2 to 3/4 a gallon of water. Hydration is key to staying healthy and ready to perform your best.
3) Don't eat any major foods with less than 3 hours before a race. Now is not the time to drink a lot of water either. A few sips are fine, but you should already be hydrated at this point.
4) Stretch. Always stretch before your run.
5) Go on a warm up jog. 800m is fine although I generally go a mile with other teams running much more. Just shoot for the 1/2 mile to a mile which should be about 3:30 and 7:00 minutes respectively.
6) Stretch. Always get a light stretch in after your warm up. You can now put on your racing spikes or flats if you have them. Do a few short build-ups, gradually run faster until at about 80% of your top speed. This will get your blood pumping and your legs stretched out some more.
7) In your race, determine a set pace and stick with it. ie) If you want to run a 2:20 in the 800, run two 70 second laps which equals out to about 17 seconds per 100 m. Keep your breathing controlled and your posture correct. You want to run effortlessly while still on pace(wierd, I know) and not strain at least until the final stretch. Always keep your body straight and prevent your head from bobbling and your body from wiggling back and forth. Not only does it look pathetic but the second your form falls apart is the second you fall off pace.
8) Always do a cool down with a equal distance to your warm up. You have to let your body loosen up so the lactic acid doesn't settle(read: this makes you less sore the day after).
9) Stretch. Always stretch after a run.
10) If you get a chance, eat a healthy snack after a run. Your body processes 68% more of the food and energy in it within 30 minutes after a run. Granola bars, fruit, trail mix, or protein bars make nice choices. Be sure to rehydrate because, by this time, you have lost a lot of water. Obviously don't eat much of anything between the mile and the 800m because there isn't much time between them.
11) Thats about all the advice I can give you besides actual training schedules, run on the weekends btw and ice if you're sore.

For all the running newbies. To build from the ground up, a lot of the above advice works except for the racing stuff. Just try to run a mile a day for a week and then gradually increase the miles that you run and the pace that you run. You could just run a 1 mile Mon-Sat on week one, 2 miles Mon-Sat on week two, and 3 miles Mon-Sat until you feel comfortable with the miles. You can stay here if you'd like or gradually increase your miles a few weeks down the road. Just remember not to rush it and ice your joints and muscles if they feel sore. If they still hurt, cut back on the running and continue to ice them. If you feel the want to race, you can add some "workout" days where you simply try to run faster on those days. One to two of these a week is fine. There are real workouts that you can try but I'd end up righting pages of info so I guess this is where I'll stop.

I hope that helps both the OP and anyone interested in running.

to go faster, Make you hands in a slicing motion when you run, so that it cuts air, thus less air resisitnace.

Get some water with you if at all possible, which it likely isn't, but if you can, when you get a little tired, drink some.

And everything else Travis said : /

None the less, I'm a skateboarding fanatic, which is very high impact, but I can't quit what I love.
Ah that is the conflict for us isn't it? Above all my friends skateboarders and runners. Stretch everyday, and before you do anything. I started stretching in like 7th or 8th grade when I started skating, and I can say honestly that I'm probably one of the worlds most flexible, non-gymnast males in the entire world. In the future I know it's one of the only things that will be able to prevent the onset of arthritis.

lol make sure you run in RUNNING SHOES, otherwise your feet will hurt, your ankles will hurt, your back will hurt, basically everything involved in running will hurt.

also, just so you know, when you move your arms faster, your legs will keep up. so unless you are moving your arms speedy quick, you will run faster if you speed up the movement of your arms. useful tip to know when your legs are tired.

Just saw this link, and I must say, it's very helpful. If I wasn't in track, then I'd just do this myself, but while I think of track as training for cross country, it's really not T_T. The coach is the same, but he acts totally different and makes us run different off-campus courses. I've been thinking, and I might quit track and just do this myself. ugh what to do?

I read 5k's first post and opted out of his others, so if I repeat anything, forgive me.

Lee makes a very good point about form. Your form has little to do with how good you can be. Running is all about commitment, drive, and guts (for anyone who enjoys cliche'd Pre quotes). Put in the work and you'll get the payouts. If you do the miles, if you do the workouts, and if you train smart, you'll be fine.

Especially as a freshman, the need to train smart is the most important thing right now. You have A LOT of growing left to do. You should not be hitting over 50 miles a week yet. 50 is even too high I think. Keep it between 40-45 with a few high mileage weeks in there when you feel like it. You're just going to get hurt otherwise. Save that for Junior and Senior year when you have an established base of miles under your belt and can start cranking 60+ mile weeks (if you so choose, I wouldn't suggest it, I prefer safe low-mileage) Which brings me to another point, experiment a little.

No one knows your body as well as you do. This is where the experience aspect comes into running. Sure, there's the idea that you learn to run a 16 the right way with experience, but the true experience lies in the training. Do some high mileage weeks back to back, do some low ones, see what works for you. You can take other people's ideas and try them, but you must find your own way to train. Know your body and what works. Personal preference is everything in training. In fact, what I said earlier about not doing over 50 miles a week, fuck it. If you want to, do it. You'll see if it works or not for you.

It's already been touched upon but there is no "professional" method to running. Yes, there's books, Jack Daniels and Everything You Need to Know About Running Blah Blah nBlah, but they're all crap. Take from coaches and professionals, alter their methods to what fits your body, and learn for yourself.

To sum it up, learn your body. Do the training, do the miles, but most of all experiment. No coach will be better, no coach will make you the absolute best you can be besides yourself. It will come.

EDIT:A little thing I just noticed, have pride in your sport! Love it! Wake up everyday and say, "I get to run today!" As a runner, you are part of the oldest sport in history of man! It's no coincidence that FiveKRunner, XC_Hawk, and me all have clear references towards running in our screennames. We love our sport!

Well in that case, is 20-30 miles/week too low for a junior in high school who ran CC soph and jr year and am now running distance in track?

No one knows your body as well as you do. This is where the experience aspect comes into running. Sure, there's the idea that you learn to run a 16 the right way with experience, but the true experience lies in the training. Do some high mileage weeks back to back, do some low ones, see what works for you. You can take other people's ideas and try them, but you must find your own way to train. Know your body and what works. Personal preference is everything in training. In fact, what I said earlier about not doing over 50 miles a week, fuck it. If you want to, do it. You'll see if it works or not for you.
I think this is key, it's basically our outdoor track motto. Nobody will ever know your own body better than yourself, so do some experimenting and find what's best. You're gonna know if you're going overboard pretty quickly, just make sure you don't hurt yourself in the process. Petro knows what he's talking about, trust me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)