THUNDERSTORMS v2.0 (3-0 on the WC R1)

THUNDERSTORMS 2.0

-Intro

Hello people, how are you doing? I came here to post another RMT because I'm pretty much bored here lol. The last team I posted was THUNDERSTORMS, a rain team based around abusing Thundurus. Then, the World Cup of Pokémon came, and I decided to revamp that team to use some more surprising sets. The team did pretty well, since EVEN A RANDOM LIKE ME went 3-0 on the Round 1, which is sweet, since it gave the rest of the barilian team more security from being eliminated on the first round. The team is based like this: I use Specs Politoed to bring the rain and open some holes with powerful attacks, then use SubCM Jirachi and SubNP Thundurus to sweep the foe on late game, while using Breloom to break special walls and Landorus as a general glue that revenges some foes and hits sand teams hard. On top of that, it also did pretty well on the early stages of the ladder, giving me a cool #9 on the ladder, as this print shows (although I dropped a fuckload nowadays).

Alright, lets go!

Politoed @ Choice Specs

Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Hidden Power Grass
- Surf
- Focus Blast

- Ice Beam

So, Policrap summons the downpour to help this team. I really hate it, Drizzle should have been given to Milotic, but oh well. This time I decided to use the infamous SpecsToed because, despite policrap's special attack sucks, a rain boosted specs Surf always hurts. The other moves are for coverage; Hidden Power Grass hits common switches to politoed such as Gastrodon, Jellicent and Rotom-W harder than any other move, and if I can hit the former, Jirachi is free from something that hard counters it. Focus Blast is used to hit the oh-so common Ferrothorn, while also hitting Tyranitar harder, as long as it doesn't miss, which seems to happen like 99% of the time unafortunately. Ice Beam rounds off the coverage by hitting Celebi and other grass types, as well as Dragons.

252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd is pretty simple; max speed and special attack, such as on every common offensive poké. Timid is used here because politoed lures Rotom-Ws frequently, and if I can use HP grass on the switch, I will outspeed him (unless if it has max speed), and it's pretty neat. Other options for this set include Hydro Pump, Hypnosis and Perish Song. However, using Hydro Pump instead of Surf would make it less reliable to kill stuff like Heatran, Deoxys-S and etc; using it instead of Ice Beam would make Politoed switch-in fodder for dragons; using it instead of HP Grass would leave me walled by Gastrodon and Jellicent; and using it instead of Focus Blast would leave me walled by Ferrothorn.

---

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 60 Def / 196 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Spikes

- Stealth Rock
- Power Whip
- Thunder Wave

I decided to keep the same Ferrothorn set I used on my last RMT. Ferrothorn is just so useful on a rain team, because it resists electric and grass, but also gives some nice resistances such as dragon and water. On top of that, it still sets up the hazards that makes the sweepers even more dangerous. Power Whip is an attacking move, that deals solid damage to water types that are hard to kill, as well as hitting SandStreamers hard. Thunder Wave is a great move, because, not only it severely cripples some switch-ins, it also makes Politoed and Breloom outspeed some stuff, as well as giving the chance of potentially giving a free Substitute to Jirachi and Thundurus. Stealth Rock is the most basic hazard form and I try to set it quickly because it gets rid of annoying focus sash users. Spikes is a secondary hazard that makes it even hard for Ninetales or Tyranitar to keep switching, as well as hindering walls.

The 252 HP / 60 Def / 196 SDef maxes out Ferrothorn's HP and earns a Leftovers number, while allows it to survive 2 Earthquakes from Choice Band Haxorus. The rest is sent into the Special Defense, becuase Ferrothorn is meant to switch A LOT on Hydro Pumps, Thunders, Draco Meteors, etc. Careful is needed here as well, due to that reason. Some other cool options here would be Gyro Ball and Leech Seed. However, Thunder Wave is too helpful to be exchanged, and Gyro Ball sucks alongside it; Leech Seed is, unafortunately, illegal with Stealth Rock + Spikes, so I can't use it.

---

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 40 SAtk / 216 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Substitute

- Calm Mind

- Water Pulse

- Thunder

This Jirachi set is massively epic. I think it was undisputed who made it, because he was the first guy using it that I saw. It's extremely effective. Many people who see this guy immediately think that it's one of those specially defensive variants with Iron Head and Wish. This can be used as a surprise factor, which is sweet. Substitute is used when you predict a switch or when you predict a status move, and, not only it eases prediction, it also makes it much easier to setup Calm Minds. After some setup, Jirachi is ready to hammer the opposition with either a 100% accurate Thunder or a rain boosted Water Pulse. The magic of this set lies on its hax. Thunder has a 60% chance of paralyzing the foe, and, together with Water Pulse's 40% chance of confusing, Jirachi can effectively ParaFuse the foe, leaving it with a meager 37.5% chance of attacking, which might be used to setup more Calm Minds.

The 252 HP / 40 SAtk / 216 Spd allows Jirachi to make 101 HP Substitutes, wihch Chansey / Blissey cannot break with one Seismic Toss, as well as making it reach 319 Speed, outspeeding the fastest Gliscor. The rest is dumped into special attack. Another cool fact about this set is that the things that would wall it (Ferrothorn, Blissey, Chansey, SpDef Jirachi), can't touch it after a Substitute and, thus, become setup fodder.

---

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 44 HP / 248 Atk / 216 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SAtk)
- Spore

- Focus Punch

- Seed Bomb

- Mach Punch

Breloom gives this team much needed physical power, used to break through special walls much easier. Not only that, it really annoys the fuck outta some people, due to the new Sleep mechanics, on which the Sleep Count is reseted if the foe switches out, so if you can hit one of them with Spore, they're pretty much dead, because if you switch a counter to the sleeping poké, they will have to switch, thus, never waking up. Seed Bomb is used to hit stuff like Jellicent, Gastrodon and Quagsire, whom this team finds immense difficult in breaking through. Focus Punch without substitute might look like a crazy idea, but you just need to predict a switch or use it after something was Spored. Mach Punch is used over the classic Substitute because it helps so much against Excadrills and weakened mons. Breloom's typing is also pretty awesome, resisting Water, Grass, Electric, Rock, Dark and Ground, which you see like everytime.

44 HP / 248 Atk / 216 Spd does look a bit complicated, but it has its meaning. 216 Speed with a Jolly Nature enables Breloom to reach 253 Speed, outspeeding even Jolly Scizor (yeah, those shit actually exist), with 44 EVs being added to the HP to reach a Poison Heal Number. The rest goes into the attack stat to add the best power possible for the physiical attacks. Substitute is a great option to use on this set, and I even use it sometimes, but Mach Punch is so useful in my opinion.

---

Thundurus @ Leftovers
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 208 HP / 48 Def / 252 Spd
- Substitute

- Nasty Plot
- Focus Blast

- Thunder

Arguably the most broken pokémon in the current metagame, except for maybe Dragonite, Thundurus joins the club as its most valuable pokémon. This guy really check mates a lot of people, either it or Jirachi. Prankster Substitute is really sweet, since it blocks TrickScarfers, scouts for foe's actions, eases prediction and much more. If it safely gets a Sub, it can also safely use Nasty Plot and become a true offensive behemot, that kills stuff with Thunder. For a coverage move, I picked Focus Blast, and, later, I'll explain why.

Ah, it looks pretty standard, but when you see the 208 HP / 48 Def / 252 Spd you might be thinking "what the fuck is this EV spread that this crazy (BAN ME PLEASE) is using?"; well, it was made by this awesome dude called IFM, and let me quote him:
IFM said:
I'm sure you have heard of this Pokemon called Ferrothorn. Now Ferrothorn has this move called Power Whip that prevents Thunderus from setting subs up on it. Fortunately the spread makes it so Ferrothorn rarely ever breaks its subs with Power Whip. Pretty useful in my opinion. Nasty Plot so you can do something once the sub is up and Focus Blast to break through Ferro after a few boosts.
So yeah, with this spread, you can comfortably setup a Substitute on Ferrothorn and beat it to the ground with Focus Blast. This set was also given to Quantum Mechanics, which he also used against Golden_Sun to beat him. I could use Hidden Power Ice over Focus Blast to hit Gliscor, Celebi, Lati@s and Roserade, but, then, Ferrothorn walls me and there's no point in using that spread.

---

Landorus @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sand Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Earthquake

- U-turn

- Stone Edge

- Hammer Arm

Last, but not least, Thundurus' big brah Landorus joins the party. It is, actually, the pokémon who often times leads the team, despite being the last one on the team preview. While it might be odd to use it on a rain team, I think it's very useful. Firstly, because it is, in my opinion, the best scarfer of the metagame. Seriously. Dragon Dances and Quiver Dancers have, at max, 100 speed. Landorus has 101, so, with a scarf, he can outspeed them by 5 points and kill them. His 89/90/80 defenses are also pretty hot, because it survives even a +2 Excadrill's Rock Slide, as well as hitting hard with its 125 attack. It can also even scout with U-turn! On top of that, it's also immune to Thunder Wave, which is oh-so useful. Earthquake is main STAB, and it's cool when you use it on a Sandstorm that enemy teams might have, because, with it, it gains a bone-crushing 195 Base Power. Stone Edge also gets 130 BP, but it's mainly used to OHKO Dragonite (after rocks), Salamence and Volcarona, after they're outsped, even when their speed is boosted. Hammer Arm is basically a filler, but it hits Blissey and Ferrothorn harder, as well as hitting Balloon Terrakion / Excadrill.

The spread is bog standard, max speed and attack, with a Jolly nature to outspeed certain threats. I could use Hidden Power Ice here, but it's so weak and lowers my (special) defense, and it doesn't even OHKO Salamence / Dragonite/ Gliscor, but I still use it sometimes.
---

-Export to text
I try to always include this section on RMTs, because it makes easier for raters to test my team and give a better rate. Additionally, I feel happy when people use my team because it shows that I'm a good team builder!

Code:
Politoed (F) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Surf
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam

Ferrothorn (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 60 Def / 196 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock
- Power Whip
- Thunder Wave

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 40 SAtk / 216 Spd
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Water Pulse
- Thunder

Breloom (F) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 44 HP / 248 Atk / 216 Spd
- Mach Punch
- Seed Bomb
- Spore
- Focus Punch

Thundurus (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 208 HP / 48 Def / 252 Spd
- Substitute
- Nasty Plot
- Focus Blast
- Thunder

Landorus (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sand Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
- Earthquake
- Hammer Arm
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
Conclusion

Yeah dudes, this is my team, although I'm not using it anymore because I feel that it has been used for a lot of time. With it, I tried to show that effective teams can have a twist of creativity, and also show how broken Thundurus is. This team has also achieved ranking 9 on the ladder, as well has reaching a 3-0 on the round 1 of the WCOP, so I think it's pretty good. Well, now raters gonna rate! Cya folks!

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Hey,

Decent team, but Swords Dace Gliscor is definitely going to give you a lot of headaches since you don't actually have a decent switch-in for it. Politoed doesn't have the bulk to switch into it, Thundurus, Breloom, Landorus and Ferrothorn can't touch it at all, while Jirachi can't switch in and has to rely on Water Pulse's confusion. A very easy way to fix this would to simply add Hidden Power Ice to Thundurus' moveset, replacing Substitute. There's now no need for that extra bulk, just dump it into SAtk, which helps out a lot when you're up against stuff like Latios or Terrakion without a boost. I also strongly recommend swapping Leftovers for a Lum Berry, which still allows you to easily set up on Ferrothorn and ensures that your sweep isn't stopped by Sp Def Jirach or Blissey.

I feel that Breloom is a sort of weak link on this team, and I feel that a Life Orb Starmie would be a much better utility for this team by providing Rapid Spin. RS support is very helpful in supporting a Thundurus sweep, and can be a life-saver against opposing rain teams since most rain teams today abuse Ferrothorn in providing Spikes and SR. I would suggest running a standard offensive Starmie set of Hydro Pump | Ice Beam | Rapid Spin | Grass Knot. Grass Knot takes out both Jellicent and Gastrodon, two problematic Pokemon for your team. Life Orb is the preferred item, but Leftovers can also be used for survivability.

Now to account for the loss of a revenge killer for Excadrill and other sand sweepers, simply replace Choice Specs on Politoed with a Choice Scarf. Politoed makes a much more reliable revenge killer than Breloom seeing as Breloom doesn't actually OHKO any of the sweepers you mentioned with Mach Punch, while Politoed easily accomplishes this. Starmie takes over the role of plowing through teams with sheer power which allows you to assign a more useful role to Politoed. Scarf Politoed makes an excellent check to almost every sand sweeper in the metagame, and gives you another check to Thundurus. Unless you're really paranoid about accuracy and prefer Surf's consistency, replace it for Hydro Pump. I also suggest replacing Focus Blast for Perish Song to help deal with bulky stat-uppers such as CM Reuniclus or Latias, since Tyranitar is already hit very hard with Hydro Pump, and Ferrothorn is setup bait for so much of your team it's actually more beneficial for you if it sticks around.

Good luck!

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey Blue_Star, incredible team, as always. The only thing I'll be doing is nitpicking, so bear with me. I've not rated in some time, so my rates won't be as good as they used to be.

Politoed: Perish Song can be stuck in here over Focus Blast to mess with Baton Pass teams. Just try it out.

Ferrothorn: Leech Seed could be used over Spikes to help extend the life of key Pokemon that lack recovery.

Jirachi: Flash Cannon could be considered in order to nail TTars switching in. However, Water Pulse is a cool option.

Breloom: Substitute should go in over Mach Punch to aid in prediction. However, Mach Punch does aid a bit against Sand teams.

Thundurus: Cool spread. I'll have to try it out soon. Hidden Power Ice over Substitute to beat Gliscor maybe? If so, couple that with a Lum Berry.

Landorus: It's all cool. However, I'm questioning the utility of Hammer Arm when you already have EQ and Stone Edge on your set. Air Balloon Excadrill might be a bit annoying should you change Hammer Arm, but keeping the rain should help minimize its threat presence.

Good luck!

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Congrats on your success, Blue Star! If you really want Thundurus to set up on Jirachi / Ferrothorn, I'd re-distribute the HP EVs into Defense. Mine as well improve your odds if you're investing that much HP / Def to set up on them.

With IFM's spread:
Ferrothorn's Gyro Ball breaks Substitute 81% of the time
Ferrothorn's Power Whip breaks Substitute 26% of the time
Jirachi's Body Slam breaks Substitute 31% of the time

With 152 HP / 104 Def:
Ferrothorn's Gyro Ball - 56% Sub breaks
Ferrothorn's Power Whip - 5.3%
Jirachi's Body Slam - 13%

With 120 HP / 136 Def
Ferrothorn's Gyro Ball - 44% sub breaks
Ferrothorn's Power Whip - 0%
Jirachi's Body Slam - 6.2%

I'd have to agree with IronBullet93, though. Your team is walled pretty badly by Gliscor, Latias, and Celebi, and giving Thundurus HP Ice over Substitute would certainly provide the wall-breaking capability desired in this team. Your Jirachi should have no problem setting up on opposing Jirachis or Ferrothorns anyways, so I don't see the need for Thundurus to set up on them, too.

EDIT: Also for Breloom, I'd consider adding Facade over Focus Punch to hit the predictable Fighting / Grass resists / Gliscor hard.

dragonuser

The only thing I look up to is the sky
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
ok so man im currently testng ur team and it is great. I can really onlysay two things on landorus put hp ice to hit other genies and on ferro run leech seed over spikes. Other than tht great team :D

Ojama

Banned deucer.
Hey Blue-Star

Pretty good Team there, gg for the Wcup. I agree what IronBullet93 said, Breloom is a weak link in your Team. Toxicroak is a big threat for your team, hopefully SubThundurus helps you against it but it can be very dangerous. If you wanna a Pokemon who can switch on Gastrodon / Quagsire and Jellicent and can absorb statuts, I'll suggest you to use Celebi over Breloom. Why ? Because Mew is tricky for your team and you need something for it. I'll suggest you to run Hidden Power Ice over Focus Blast for Thundurus, especially for Gliscor. Then, Celebi can destroy your Team, your only switch is Landorus with U-Turn, so once again I'll suggest you to change Breloom for someone else. Hidden Power Ice on Thundurus helps against Celebi, but a Celebi@Perish Song can be very usefull for your Team, especially against Mew / Reuniclus / Celebi etc. Celebi can help you against Terrakion too, so it's pretty nice and you can abuse of Spikes / Stealth Rock
Something like that :

Celebi@Leftovers
-Perish Song
-Giga Drain
-U-Turn
-Recover
Bold 252 Hp / 216 Def / 40 Spe

GL with this Team !

Breloom has already been identified as the weak link of the team, so how about dropping it for a Life Orb Latios? Calm Mind Virizion gets a free set up versus Politoed locked into Surf and with a bit of prior damage on Ferrothorn, it can roll right through your team. Latios is lethal with hazard support but he brings more than that to the table; he counters Virizion well thanks to Psyshock hitting the physical defense stat, which is also helpful for this team since it can take out Blissey for a Thundurus sweep.

Latios @ Life Orb | Timid | EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Dragon Pulse | Surf | Psyshock | Recover

This patches up pretty much your only weakness. Good team and good work in WC man.

dragonuser

The only thing I look up to is the sky
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
hey after testing ur team some more ive come across alot of problems with a scarf/ banded dynamic punch machamp there really isnt anyone to take its hits so i also recommend latios/ starmie

How about replacing breloom with tangrowth? Your still weak to virision but that will be your only major weakness besides stuff like CB terrakion. Tangrowth can beat SD gliscor with hp ice and also use sleep powder. Regenerate is also a nice ability to have because of the high paced action of this team. A sample set is

Tangrowth @ leftovers (regenerator)
252 HP/ 252 Def / 4 SpA RELAXED

Sleep Powder
HP ice
power whip
leech seed

When push comes to shove you can always use that nifty bulk up tornadus over thunderus to break special walls. Just alter the ev spread and run something like

sub
bulk up
acrobatics
brick break

Additionally you are pretty SD scizor weak. I would recommend a balloon heatran in place of thundurus. This helps with the sun weakness as well as a backup for stuff like gliscor and excadrill.

Nice team anyways.

hey after testing ur team some more ive come across alot of problems with a scarf/ banded dynamic punch machamp there really isnt anyone to take its hits so i also recommend latios/ starmie
Literally no one uses Machamp (let alone scarf / banded machamp), so I don't think that would be a problem. Latios / Starmie take a ton of damage from it anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)