Finals The World Cup of Pokémon 2023 - Finals [Won by Team Spain]

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, thanks Malekith for bringing me back to another WcoP and being able to represent Spain for so many years in a row in what is undoubtedly my fetish tournament.

It's always great to talk again for a few months with friends you've spent so many years playing the same game with and meet the new ones who are always trying to help Spain get their first WcoP

Full confidence in Jon, Jaime and Alejandro, without a doubt the 3 best players in the tournament, bring it home my dudes

Conflict

is the 9th Smogon Classic Winneris a Three-Time Past SPL Championis the defending GSC Circuit Champion
World Defender
Those are some hella good matches. Tiebreak seems super evenly matched too.

Europe (1) vs (2) Spain

Lily vs Malekith - Rooting for Malekith to step up and regain his clutch factor. He had a couple insane runs in the last couple years but never managed to grab the trophy always falling short right before attaining it. This time I hope he will step up and get it. I think Malekith will be extra hungry to prove himself after he got rolled over by Roro and seeks to prove himself here - hopefully with a team equipped to take on anything. Lily will be a tough match for him because lately all ive seen Lily do is win and she doesnt seem to want to stop. Gonna be a close one but I'm following my heart here.

Highv0ltag3 vs Garay oak - The voltage-fueled hype train came out of the gates blazing and hasnt slowed down at all. Dude looks seriously impressive and seems to win with all kinds of team styles. He's up against Garay tho who I consider to be one of the current best players. Garay is always solid, never really has bad showing and seems to always level up when he is heavily relied upon. Given that and his vast experience with high pressure situations (and him getting a trophy last year to cement his legacy!) I'm gonna hand it to him. Voltage played well and hasnt really shown nerves so far but a finals tiebreak is on another level of pressure.

McMeghan vs Trosko - Two giants of the game. Roro is someone who somehow always finds a way to shine in every metagame he puts his mind to and in his own unique way too. Its super refreshing to see him always innovate and while he sometimes falls flat with his ideas I dont think that will be the case in this tiebreak. He looks to be locked in and focused which his dominant win in the finals emphasizes. Trosko on the other hand has been less active in recent years but whenever he takes to the field he brings good solid structures and skill diff's people. I dont expect him to falter here but he is up against the one guy that will be ready for his techs and is on par with his skill level. This one is gonna be a banger but im leaning towards Roro here.

GL to both teams! Hoping for some great matches! Both sides are deserving at this point and any match can go either way.

Sharow

水上
is a Tiering Contributor
Maybe not the right place but i need to inform ppl why this user is ban.

Capture d’écran 2023-08-15 à 23.43.11.png

Amir was accused of doxxing me bc he linked pictures of my instagram in discord.

image.png

All of u need context.

Since i own my restaurant, i linked in my smogon signature my instagram and sometimes i post pictures of my team and my work in discord. Its public information, and u can found me here with my team with this link.

I always said to my friends "lets share this with ppl u know, its helping us a lot".

Amir is a friend, he didnt doxxed, it was publicity and he tried to bring friends to come at our restaurant.

ALL of Smogon Users have my blessing for sharing this information with friends, family, etc...

We are glad if we can have "word of mouth", this is how the reputation of a restaurant work.

Senior Staff accuse Amir for "doxxing", but its an unreasonable and bad decision since i encourage my friends to talk about me and my restaurant.

Staff quote :
Capture d’écran 2023-08-16 à 00.09.12.png

How i can be bothered by someone who give me free publicity ? Ban someone for this is just bullshit.

Capture d’écran 2023-08-16 à 00.12.28.png

Staff answer :
Capture d’écran 2023-08-16 à 00.12.32.png
( ok if the staff say "no", even im the concerning one, its "no".

U cannot be serious mr moderator, you just banned someone in ur radar and use me as an pathetic excuse.

This decision deserve the bad reputation of staff.

To conclude, this post was for inform ppl about this power abuse. Its not the first case poorly managed, not the last too, but i hope we can replace senior staff with competents persons who know how social network works.

Thanks.

Theia

Another day, another systematic nightmare
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnus
User Safety Lead
Hi, it's me, the person who fielded this report and banned Amir. You were advised against making this post after a Senior Staff member explained to both you and Amir why he was banned, but you did it anyway, so here we go.

Maybe not the right place but i need to inform ppl why this user is ban.
Nope, sure isn't.

Amir was accused of doxxing me bc he linked pictures of my instagram in discord.
Also nope!

Amir was banned for doxxing not because he linked the Instagram that is publicly available in your Smogon bio or because he posted a generic image from the website, but because he went several steps further than this and sought out your personal information from an external source on the Instagram page, including your irl name and picture, then told other users, step-by-step, how to do the same, which is basically textbook doxxing. This also follows an incident in the Smogtours server in which Amir sought out the personal Facebook of another user and added them without consent after seeing their name on a livestream, which he was subsequently warned for.

Yes, Amir got lucky that you apparently don't give a shit that he did this, but in the grand scheme of things, this is not just a user safety issue, but a user who has shown a pattern of not knowing how to respect boundaries with this type of thing. We take this kind of thing extremely seriously, and if he had done this to someone who didn't give a shit, there wouldn't even be an argument to be had.

Hope this clears some things up for you and those who are commenting without proper context.

Thanks.

Sharow

水上
is a Tiering Contributor
Hi, it's me, the person who fielded this report and banned Amir. You were advised against making this post after a Senior Staff member explained to both you and Amir why he was banned, but you did it anyway, so here we go.

Nope, sure isn't.

Also nope!

Amir was banned for doxxing not because he linked the Instagram that is publicly available in your Smogon bio or because he posted a generic image from the website, but because he went several steps further than this and sought out your personal information from an external source on the Instagram page, including your irl name and picture, then told other users, step-by-step, how to do the same, which is basically textbook doxxing. This also follows an incident in the Smogtours server in which Amir sought out the personal Facebook of another user and added them without consent after seeing their name on a livestream, which he was subsequently warned for.

Yes, Amir got lucky that you apparently don't give a shit that he did this, but in the grand scheme of things, this is not just a user safety issue, but a user who has shown a pattern of not knowing how to respect boundaries with this type of thing. We take this kind of thing extremely seriously, and if he had done this to someone who didn't give a shit, there wouldn't even be an argument to be had.

Hope this clears some things up for you and those who are commenting without proper context.

Thanks.
He had my bless, u just trying to save staff reputation. Ok he was in ur radar, but respect me and dont use me as an excuse. Try to find something better, or open ur business and learn how works with social networks.

"Amir got lucky that you apparently don't give a shit that he did this"
Delusional answer as usual, I need ppl who support and pub me, lets adults with real job works with social tools pls.

Raptor

is a Tiering Contributoris a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
Europe (2) vs (1) Spain

Lily (55) vs Malekith (45) - The game displayed by Lily against Luispeikou wasn't the most optimal even though she had an incredibly good matchup and Luis could've won had he played differently after the first volt vs torkoal or not sacking glowking in such way, but from this game (and mind gaming's) Lily has showed a good performance against players with not much knowledge or a very high level, and also possessing a good variety of teams (team Europe in general) that gives her the edge against many players. Now, let's talk about Malekith, the teams he's been bringing have been super standard (and also most of team Spain) and it isn't hard to prep against those (as roro just showed us), if we talk about his in-game gameplay he has been superior to Lily but due to his teamchoices he hasn't been able to let all his potential out just yet. This game will heavily depend on the teams they'll bring, but I'll bet for Lily this time and even if Malekith tries to use something different (which I doubt because what he's been bringing has been working nicely due to his opponents not being too challenging) I don't think he'll get used to another playstyle, when you're a veteran but haven't tried a variety of things in the tier it's hard to make a change.

Highv0ltag3 (35) vs Garay oak (65) - Highv0ltag3 has been very active since the start of SV and has built lots of team for ladder and in general, but he has the same issue as Malekith and doesn't get out of his comfort zone (though has an easier time to use something different) and his games even though he has been winning, he hasn't been optimally playing in many situations and that might cost him off a good one against Garay. Garay has been good in all of his games and his team choices have been pretty good even though Spain has been bringing similar stuff. Garay is in a superior level to Highv0ltag3 since he's not used to play in these scenarios and even though he's been more active in OU that will not give him the edge over Garay in a tiebreak.

McMeghan (60) vs Trosko (40)- This is the most important match out of the three without a doubt (and also the last to be played since roro is unhinged). Roro has been displaying a very high level in the tier and his team choices have been optimal in every game so far. Trosko has also been really good in his games and his teams have been solid in general. I'll bold Roro just because Europe has a more variate team styles and Roro controls these situations better, though it wouldn't surprise me that Trosko would beat him if he uses something less common or like what he used against Kushalos.

Even though team Europe has a higher winning chance to win this tiebreak, Malekith could just win the first game and if Garay follows that up it might just end it all without having to rely on Trosko vs Roro so if Lily and Malekith play first, Lily has all the pressure to win with all the marbles on the table to not give that edge to Spain. Another thing is if Kushalos gets subbed in over Highv0ltag3 would give Europe a higher edge in my opinion.

s/o Mako for writing the translation :heart:

Europe vs Spain
Lily vs Malekith

I usually blind vote old fathers but 2023 Lily has reached a level close to Vert & co, Malekith has all his chances too

Highv0ltag3 vs Garay oak

Blind vote on Garay, BUT I'm not sure of the outcome of this game because highvoltage showed an impressive level and consistency during the whole tournament, let him cook

McMeghan vs Trosko
The 2 aces of their team, I'm not picking any winner because the pairing closer as we could think, let them cook and just enjoy the game

Last edited:

Igniizard

formerly denger
I know this is very demotivating losing 6-0 in a game that could have made history but I trust in Spain and their ability to recover back and win this year's world cup which is why I placed my bet and supporting them ever since knockouts started. All the best guys. :blobthumbsup::blobthumbsup:

Lily

it's in my blood
is a Tutoris a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
UU Leader
I moved away the posts that aren't relevant to the initial point & just dogpiled one way or the other because this is a thread about the World Cup of Pokemon and not a ban appeal. It'll be taken into account in the future if Amir chooses to make one. For future reference, please don't bring this stuff to the tournaments forum. Ty!

Glhf Spain :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 0)