The Well #73 — MAMP [WELL FILLED IN WITH CONCRETE]

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAMP

MAMP!
"A stranger is being shown around a village that he has just become part of. He is shown a well and his guide says "On any day except Tuesday, you can shout any question down that well and you'll be told the answer." The man seems pretty impressed, and so he shouts down, "Why not on Tuesday?" A voice from in the well shouts back, "Because on Tuesday, it's your day in the well."

sorry this thread took me a while to post, got hit by a massive hailstorm and lost power for 2 days. also i probably have covid lol

hello i am mamp. i'm 23 and i live in canberra, australia. i am in my third year of a creative writing degree at uni, and i work at an esports lounge (like an internet cafe but with gaming pcs). i like long walks on the beach but i do NOT like pina coladas. here for a good time, not a long time.

first played pokemon when i was like 9 or 10 i think, diamond on my ds lite. i found smogon via bulbapedia because all the pokemon pages had links to smogon analyses, and i got really into reading those. less out of any intention to use the information, more just curiousity about whether my favourite pokemon were any good, and what they could do competitively. i got interested in playing competitively thanks to this article, which i think is still a very good introduction to competitive pokemon and should probably be somewhere more prominent on the site. i downloaded shoddy battle and i fucking sucked, but that's ok bc i was a child. one time i lost to heatran, so i decided to come up with a lure for it. i invented earthquake stantler, and it worked perfectly in the next game i played. very fond memory.

around this time i was active on the bulbagarden forums when i was 11 or 12, particularly in the fanfiction section (the stuff i wrote is definitely still up there but i will not tell u what my username was. you cannot read the fanfiction i wrote as a kid. i'm sorry). one time i won a competition to get free tickets to see the keldeo movie in cinemas and john bulbapedia (dont remember his actual username) mailed me 2 tickets and i did not see the movie.

when showdown dropped i played on that a bit. was a regular lobby chatter back when the lobby was the only chatroom and there was a picture of meloetta in the background, remember getting muted many times for being a dumbass teenager. made a smogon account (not this one, dont ban me) and made some horrible contributions to duskmod, a pet mod from back in the day when pet mods were just like, some guy changing stuff that they thought would be cool. then i dropped off for a bit and came back when xy came out. made a new smogon account (this one) and got really into other metagames, especially averagemons. my main was perplexingpool, a pikmin reference: Mamp was a showdown alt i made to test a mega ampharos team and it was the alt i happened to be on when i first joined the other metagames room and started talking to people. made some friends and had a lot of fun on the averagemons ladder for the month that was up. then asterat taught me how to play balanced hackmons and for the past 8 years i have spent an unreasonable amount of time playing, thinking about, writing about, reading about, and building teams for balanced hackmons. not good for the psyche honestly but im in too deep now. i like to think im pretty good at it by now.

started posting on firebot in 2014, mainly making low effort quips. at some point around 2017 when i was desperately lonely and depressed after i finished high school i started putting a lot of effort into my posts to make up for my percieved flaws as a person. then i made some new friends and my posts gradually turned into a mix of sincere anecdotes and jokes about my big dick (also sincere). i started realising that i enjoy posting far more if i put as little effort into it as possible. im like a surrealist, aiming to act without thought so as to break down the barriers of the mind and allow the fruits of the subconscious to spill into my keyboard and onto the forum. if i ever start making threads like this again please get me some psychiatric help

at some point Mamp became MAMP bc i thought it looked cooler. a lot of people ask me what MAMP stands for, and the answer is that MAMP stands for truth, freedom, and justice for the oppressed. my hobbies are reading, writing, cycling, running smash tournaments, and video games. im a sagittarius lol. please ask me questions, i love to talk about myself

antemortem

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
i met a cute girl at a party last week and she asked for my number and we have very similar taste in music. i want to ask her out on a date but bc i’m rly hot and my dick is really big usually people ask me out first, so i’m not super familiar with how to do it. what should i say, and where should i ask her to go to? help me smoge off

MAMP

MAMP!
What’s the best part about being a Sagittarius?
birthday in late spring, usually optimal weather for birthday bbq
i met a cute girl at a party last week and she asked for my number and we have very similar taste in music. i want to ask her out on a date but bc i’m rly hot and my dick is really big usually people ask me out first, so i’m not super familiar with how to do it. what should i say, and where should i ask her to go to? help me smoge off
we messaged for a few days but it never went anywhere unfortunately. the one that got away...
no offense but we need a vocaroo sample
https://voca.ro/1c15jCzxQsNt lmk if u want me to record myself saying something else

phoopes

I did it again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
made a smogon account (not this one, dont ban me)
:blobglare:

anyway, cool to find out the origin behind "MAMP," I always thought it was some kind of interjection

I also used to be a Balanced Hackmons main back in like... 2012/2013? Idk if you played all the way back then but I'd like to hear a little bit about how strategies have changed, the community has grown, etc.

BIG ASHLEY

ashley
is a Community Contributor
hello mamp. what are some of the most dogshit sets/teams you have ever seen/used/lost to/etc. in bh

is there a story behind the iconic avatar?

how can we trust you about the size of your willy. do you feel you have proven yourself to be a trustworthy source in the past?

shadowpea

everyone is lonely sometimes
is a Tiering Contributor
heya

can you share a couple of BH teams that you have used and liked?

usum or ss bh?

thoughts on the state of meta rn? (and stuff like shed/contrary/other stuff on the survey)

what kind of career would you like to pursue after uni?

how do you like your steak?

how do you like your emu?

how was your experience playing BH at the bottom of the well?

MAMP!

MAMP

MAMP!
Give me a rundown on your favorite starter pokemon from each gen

What's the cringiest story you can tell about your e-Sports (ESports) lounge?
bulbasaur, totodile, mudkip, turtwig, tepig, fennekin, popplio, grookey

there's one guy who's in there like every day playing valorant in a discord call and he's SO LOUD and always talking about random shit. i've spoken to him like twice but i know so much about his life just from overhearing his conversations. during my last shift he went down his myanimelist and gave a review of every single one (romance anime is "cringe", apparently. he's a big attack on titan fan)

On a scale of one to ten, what is your favorite color of the alphabet?
this comment made me very nostalgic for when i was first on the internet, on the yugiohcardmaker.net forums at age 10 in 2008. thank you

View attachment 396627
What do u think of this
love this dude. submerged castle is easily the best cave in pikmin 2 bc pikmin's mechanics are fundamentally built around a time limit. that's a big thing that pikmin 2 lacks imo, i feel like the lack of time pressure makes the gameplay a lot less compelling. it's a shame because aesthetically, narratively, and thematically it's easily the best game in the series and it just oozes with charm. submerged castle is the one section of that game where there's a real time pressure and it's great (also because you don't have purple pikmin you can't cheese all of the combat)

What makes Mega Ampharos cool and why is it the fluffiest mon?
actually not that big of a fan of mega ampharos nowadays. i've grown out of it.

:blobglare:

anyway, cool to find out the origin behind "MAMP," I always thought it was some kind of interjection

I also used to be a Balanced Hackmons main back in like... 2012/2013? Idk if you played all the way back then but I'd like to hear a little bit about how strategies have changed, the community has grown, etc.
bh has changed a lot since those days. we have a much different philosophy on tiering (bh has standard clauses and a sleep ban now, banned shell smash, and contrary, and current gen has like 5 banned pokemon) and a much greater understanding of the metagame. a lot of the big changes that have happened since bw are more because of mechanics changes/bans than anything else though. dedicated leads aren't really a thing anymore bc we have team preview now, weather is rare, unaware has largely been supplanted by prankster haze, and mold breaker sweepers aren't that common either.

the community is thriving, but the vibes are very different to how they were back when you were around. a lot of that's just to do with how smogon has fragmented so much into little subcommunities: i feel like you used to see people participating in all different parts of the site, whereas now people largely stick to a niche. like if i go into the nu forum or something i would barely recognise a single poster. other metagames, including bh, used to be like a fun side thing, a dumping ground for the tiers that couldn't go anywhere else, and it was something that heaps of people messed around with on occasion. now it's another segregated little subcommunity without a lot of crossover with the rest of the site. it's wild nowadays to think that people like chaos, dtc, and zarel used to be avid bh players.

hello mamp. what are some of the most dogshit sets/teams you have ever seen/used/lost to/etc. in bh

is there a story behind the iconic avatar?

how can we trust you about the size of your willy. do you feel you have proven yourself to be a trustworthy source in the past?
in the pre-dlc ss metagame when dynamax was legal me and thimo theorycrafted this super gimmicky full team baton pass chain abusing sandaconda's gmax move that traps them for 6 turns, with prankster taunt + power trip mandibuzz as the final recipient. it went through many revisions and the final result is still easily the worst and least fun team i have ever had a hand in building. here it is: https://pokepast.es/459898e6ce078b5e

it was beamed onto my computer's hard drive by a higher being

i do not know how to prove this without getting banned from this website, but it's 7 inches and thick

what is one of your favorite sensations? like a fabric, or a time of day, or after eating something special. what really DUMPS your dopamine?
sitting outside and reading a good book during golden hour in mid summer after a nice dinner. bliss

who is the best smash character to main?

what is your favorite esports game?

do you have a pet kangaroo like i imagine all aussies do?

favorite type of cookie?
if ur trying to win tournaments pyra/mythra probably has the best ratio of ease vs power level

i'm not actually a big competitive gamer. i attend and run smash ultimate tournaments and i play mons but i don't take either super seriously. melee is easily my favourite esport to watch

nah, but there is a mob of roos that live on my uni campus that are very used to people, so when i cycle in they're standing right by the path. could reach out and touch one if i wanted but that is an easy way to get my shit kicked in by a 100kg boomer

my mum makes these ridiculous white chocolate macadamia cookies that i cannot get enough of. i've asked for her recipe but mine never come out quite right

mamp I request you vocaroo the Vaporeon copypasta a dm will be fine if you do not wanna share this with the world
https://vocaroo.com/1gSXEj246WNh

Would you fuck a ghost?
man i'd fuck anything

how do you like your steak
medium rare, salt + pep

getting shoutouts from people I haven't talked to in 5+ years, 2022 looking good. jokes aside, hope you're doing well man!
:afrostar:

What is the best Radiohead album?
in rainbows. i think radiohead is just ok personally

do you think clouds look down on us humans and say things like "hey look, that one's shaped like a dickhead"?
they do when they look at you! lol owned

heya

can you share a couple of BH teams that you have used and liked?

usum or ss bh?

thoughts on the state of meta rn? (and stuff like shed/contrary/other stuff on the survey)

what kind of career would you like to pursue after uni?

how do you like your steak?

how do you like your emu?

how was your experience playing BH at the bottom of the well?

MAMP!
i cannot.

prefer ss atm, i find mons like shed and mmy in usum pretty annoying. ss has better vibes. usum is a loud luxury sports car, ss is a comfortable commuting bike

meta is good. shed/contrary should stay banned. i wouldn't make any tiering action rn except maybe testing v-create ban + dgz unban, feel like having a better offensive check to etern would be valuable and v-create as a coverage move can feel really cheesy, discourages the use of cool niche defensive steels like steela and gear.

i really want to work in local government, something where i can tangibly help the community i live in. i feel like i'd be well-suited for a desk job and fields like public transport, urban planning, and parks are all really interesting to me. considering moving to a bigger city and doing a masters in urban planning or public policy or something after i graduate

medium rare, salt + pep

only had emu meat once, in a red wine stew cooked by a friends grandma, was very nice. ive heard its good pan-seared like steak too. it has quite a beefy taste

difficult.

https://vocaroo.com/11OfxiyQBDpi

Favorite piece of writing that you didn't create?
very hard to come up with a single answer to this. i'm leaning towards The Author of The Acacia Seeds by Ursula K. Le Guin, a series of extracts from a fictional scientific journal about animal languages. you can read it here: https://xenoflesh.files.wordpress.com/2017/03/ursula-k.-le-guin.pdf i'm not sure what it is about this piece that appeals to me so much, but there's something about the world it envisions that just touches something otherwise untouchable at the core of my being. whenever i go bushwalking i think a lot about the poetry of the rocks and the lyrics of the lichen

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
MAMP is pretty cool y'all!!!!

omg we can ask more questions right?

as someone who wants to do good for their community, what's the most irresponsible thing you've done in a public place?

MAMP

MAMP!
MAMP is pretty cool y'all!!!!

omg we can ask more questions right?

as someone who wants to do good for their community, what's the most irresponsible thing you've done in a public place?
main thing that comes to mind is that as a teenager i was really shitty to pedestrians when i was cycling. would ride at top speed on busy footpaths, not ring my bell, and pass really close to people, just generally really inconsiderate stuff. i've done my fair share of vandalism too, all of it righteous of course. got my dick sucked in a public park once but it was at like 4am so not really that exciting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)