SV UU The Thunder From Down Under

Hi, Roxy here. This is my first RMT so if I made any mistakes, please let me know!
:Regidrago: :Slither Wing: :Thundurus: :Iron Treads: :Quaquaval: :arcanine-hisui:
The team revolves around a few strategies, but the main one is Mixed Regidrago. Its insane power allows it to break walls that would normally check it, but it does have to deal with its low speed. With the right support and situations provided by teammates, however, it can worry less about its low speed and throw out its powerful attacks. Below is a team that was my take on a team to support Regidrago, and being able to help support it in battle, with some unique sets and abnormal but synergizing teammates.
TEAM PASTE: https://pokepast.es/af83a61f4e8d4ebf
Thought Process:
the GRAAAAAAAAAAH (Regidrago) @ Dragon Fang
Ability: Dragon's Maw
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 Atk / 16 Def / 60 SpA / 180 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Earthquake
- Draco Meteor
- Dragon Claw
- Tera Blast
Mixed :Regidrago: was the first addition (shoutout to fyfyk for showing me this set). Dragon Claw and Draco are difficult to switch into and Fairies like Scream Tail get blasted by Tera Blast Steel. Steels like Tinkaton and Magnezone get obliterated by earthquake. But speed is still an issue, so the rest of the team has to help fix that!
terasteel.jpg

the winger (Slither Wing) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 132 SpD
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Close Combat
- Stun Spore
- First Impression
:Slither Wing: The question is how to add speed control. Webs are ineffective in a Boots metagame. Tailwind is too difficult to use effectively with Regidrago. So I decided on everyone's (least) favorite speed control: paralysis spam. Equipped with Stun Spore, Slither Wing can find a lot of opportunities to spread paralysis and make Regidrago more dangerous. With Close Combat as STAB for threats like Hoodra, First Impression as backup priority, and U-Turn to pivot in Regidrago, Slither Wing becomes a strong defensive unit with the power to punch hard. And Rocky Helmet helps chip threats like Quaquaval, other U-Turn users, and other priority users.
getstunnedloser.jpg

the stinger (Thundurus) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Prankster
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt
- U-turn / Grass Knot
- Thunder Wave
:Thundurus:
Thundurus-Incarnate is a fast breaker with good pivoting abilities. Prankster Thunder Wave helps slow down opposing sweepers like Quaquaval, Agility Hisuian Braviary Galarian Moltres, and even slower threats like Skeledirge, Tinkaton, and Hisuian Arcanine. Spreading paralysis makes it easier for Regidrago to unleash its powerful attacks and helps the other teammates set up. Focus Blast and Thunderbolt provide good coverage, including Iron Treads, and Tera Fighting helps further damage threats like Quagsire and Hoodra. U-turn is selected over Volt Switch, giving Regidrago an almost guaranteed switch-in, preventing volt-switch block attempts from important grounds like Gastodon with Grass Knot as well as opposing Thundurus-Therian for chip damage.
thund2.jpg

the treader (Iron Treads) @ Leftovers
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off
- Ice Spinner
- Earthquake
:Iron Treads: Originally I had Cyclizar as the spinner, but he felt very exploitable and offered little other than Knock, Spin, and U-Turn utility. Draco can hit hard but was redundant with another Dragon. So I swapped over to Iron Treads, with standard EVs, Jolly Nature and Leftovers. Knock Off for item removal and annoying checks, Ice Spinner for the genies and Salamence, Rapid Spin, and Earthquake with Tera Ground to increase its power.
eqteratime.jpg

the gayest (Quaquaval) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Moxie
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 132 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Step
- Brave Bird
- Bulk Up
- Roost
:Quaquaval: Quaquaval seemed like a great abuser on a para spam team by being able to invest in bulk, instead of max speed, to live hits and set up. Aqua Step, Roost, and Bulk Up seemed great but I didn't want to get walled by the common Tera Ghost Gastrodon, a common Duck counter. So I dropped Close Combat for Brave Bird, which can smash hard with Tera Flying! It also lets me set up on Earthquakes from Iron Treads, Gyarados, Donphan, Hippowdon, and Tyranitar. The tera-flying Brave Bird gives a good chance to beat other Quaquaval and Grass-types, and the aforementioned Ghost Gastrodon. With enough boosts, Quaquaval doesn't even need Tera Flying to beat Basculegion, another common check.
quaqstep.jpg

the masher (Arcanine-Hisui) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Rock Head
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Normal
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Extreme Speed
- Head Smash
- Flare Blitz
:arcanine-hisui: The last slot but certainly not least. Since this is more of an offensive team, I wanted a Stealth Rocker that could keep up the momentum and having Spin and Rocks on the Iron Treads put way too much responsibility on the robot wheel. So I chose Arcanine. STAB Rock Head Head Smash and Flare Blitz are not easy to switch into, and those that can don't like facing Regidrago afterwards (Quagsire, Gastrodon, and Hippowdon all struggle to take Dragon moves for example). It can also keep fairies out of a comfortable range to try to wall Regidrago, making it easier for cleanup late game. For the last move, I decided Tera Normal Extreme Speed, just a strong and safe priority in case anything went out of control. It does good damage too, and synergizes with the rest of the team to keep up the offensive pressure on switch-ins or faster setup mons. Extra reassurance against late-game threats never hurts!
fastdog.jpg

TEAMBUILDING BREAKDOWN:

:Regidrago: After using a team from someone who has mixed Regidrago, I wanted to try my own spin on it. Hard to switch into unless you're a Fairy-type, but even then you can be KOd by Tera Blast Steel. The Speed EVs are just enough to outspeed things like Magnezone who could go for a trap if you Tera Steel. The big issue is Speed, so Regidrago needs the right team support for it - which I achieved mainly through Paralysis spam and pivots.

:Thundurus: The UUBL from last generation is still good, I'd even say it's better than Therian. The extra Speed helps against opposing fast threats like Zoroark, Gengar, Iron Treads, and ties with max Speed Scream Tails and Maushold. With extra support like U-Turn, Thunder Wave and potentially Grass Knot, it compliments Regidrago by giving it chances to come in, outspeed, and obliterate the opposition.

:Slither Wing: Slither Wing was an interesting choice, but it comes with its own U-Turn and Stun Spore. Not as fast as Thundurus-I, but it has good bulk and priority, still hits hard with Close Combat and First Impression, and its slow pivot is often helpful to get Regidrago in safely.

:Iron Treads: Treads was my choice of spinner over Donphan because the extra Speed seemed more useful and a Toxic immune was also helpful. Originally, I had Stealth Rock on Treads but I swapped that out for Ice Spinner to hit the genies harder, especially Thundurus-Therian. Knock Off and Earthquake were the last two options, for general support and hitting Ghost types attempting to block Spin hard. Tera Ground Earthquake can sometimes serve as a win condition as well.

:arcanine-hisui: Arcanine just hits hard with STAB moves and lasts a long time given no recoil. With those two main STAB moves, I added Stealth Rock as Arcanine often gets the opportunity to set it up when Ground types switch in and Tera Normal Extreme Speed is just another way to either kill set-up sweepers or just finish off the opposing team. Compressing both Rocker and hard hitter into one slot is nice because it frees up the last slot significantly.

(Weird comparison: Hisuian Arcanine feels like :Toxtricity: pre-home drop, hits hard but some things can wall it super easily, so adding hazards to maintain momentum was very helpful. In Toxtricity's case, it was Toxic Spikes. Just something I noticed while playing.)

:Quaquaval: The duck has proven itself to be a strong setup sweeper, and paralysis support gives it extra opportunities to do so, so he fits great as the last slot. Going for a max hp defensive set, with bulk to set up on hisuian Arcanine and other physically offensive threats. Aqua step was mandatory, roost was to stay healthy as long as possible, and bulk up to make it even harder to break. On this set tho, I decided to drop close combat for Tera Flying Brave Bird. Getting the earthquake immunity gives even more setup chances, and Tera Flying Brave Bird can break through tera ghost Gastrodon thinking it can wall it. Brave bird also hits Enamorus for good damage and doesn’t let Slowking have free opportunities to switch-in. With that, it finally helps vs. Quaquavel 1v1s, as you’re strong enough to get the blow to k.o. it. Gyarados has proven that flying and water is a super scary offensive typing, just Quaquavel doesn’t require tera to use both.

THREATS:

:quagsire: The derpy blob can be a nuisance for this team. Regidrago can bait it in and obliterate it, but if Regidrago goes down, then that becomes much harder. Swapping out U-Turn for Grass Knot on :thundurus: can remedy this though, but you would have to be much more prediction reliant to get switch-ins!

:Scream tail: The default switch-in to any Regidrago set. Tera blast steel can help get rid of Scream Tail, but it does require a lot of support to break through.

:Breloom: Technician Bullet Seed, Spore, and Rock Tomb can be an absolute pain to switch into. Usually, my go-to mon to have to be put asleep is Slither Wing since they can stall out sleep turns the best, but it is still super risky to do. Letting anything get a free setup is not ideal.

:scizor: SWORDS DANCE BULLET PUNCH :quagchamppogsire:. In all seriousness, Quaquavel can handle it after a bulk-up, but letting Scizor start snowballing early is hard to combat.

There is probably some I missed, if you have any let me know!

:Thundurus: VS :Thundurus Therian:

Let’s get the obvious question out of the way! “Why Incarnate over Therian, Therian hits harder!” And it does, but Prankster Thunder Wave and the faster speed tier for Iron Treads, Pawmot, and Gengar help this team more than just the raw power. And since I have a volt immune in Iron Treads, Volt Absorb did not seem necessary on this team.

CLOSING THOUGHTS:

At the end, this is an offensive team with some longevity, with the main goal to be to get Regidrago in and get as much damage as possible, then using the other slots as potential clean-up win cons. This was a very fun team to use and I've hit a new peak with it as well! I'm still new and learning so like I said before: any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thank you for reading!w

CREDITS AND COOL PEOPLE:
fyfyk (shared the Regidrago set)
Bice (helped make the team and gave feedback)
Liz Angeles (gave her thoughts on the team and helped me make the RMT)
PokemonIsFun (the Incarnate propoganda got to me)
ThatOneApple (made me remember stun spore slither wing in a random conversation LOL)
Queen Of Bean (gave replay tips and analysis)
StarBitStorm (another tester)
Lily (gave her thoughts and review on the team)
Mossy Sandwich (helped polish RMT)
And everyone else in PIA!
Peak was 1582: I would have gone for 1600 but, battling at such high ladder makes me super nervous! This is also my test account, which is why the GXE and Elo are super weird!
Screenshot 2023-08-30 153142.png

Last edited:

Hi, Roxy here. This is my first RMT so if I made any mistakes, please let me know!
:Regidrago: :Slither Wing: :Thundurus: :Iron Treads: :Quaquaval: :arcanine-hisui:
The team revolves around a few strategies, but the main one is Mixed Regidrago. Its insane power allows it to break walls that would normally check it, but it does have to deal with its low speed. With the right support and situations provided by teammates, however, it can worry less about its low speed and throw out its powerful attacks. Below is a team that was my take on a team to support Regidrago, and being able to help support it in battle, with some unique sets and abnormal but synergizing teammates.
TEAM PASTE: https://pokepast.es/af83a61f4e8d4ebf
Thought Process:
the GRAAAAAAAAAAH (Regidrago) @ Dragon Fang
Ability: Dragon's Maw
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 Atk / 16 Def / 60 SpA / 180 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Earthquake
- Draco Meteor
- Dragon Claw
- Tera Blast
Mixed :Regidrago: was the first addition (shoutout to fyfyk for showing me this set). Dragon Claw and Draco are difficult to switch into and Fairies like Scream Tail get blasted by Tera Blast Steel. Steels like Tinkaton and Magnezone get obliterated by earthquake. But speed is still an issue, so the rest of the team has to help fix that!
View attachment 546934

the winger (Slither Wing) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 132 SpD
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Close Combat
- Stun Spore
- First Impression
:Slither Wing: The question is how to add speed control. Webs are ineffective in a Boots metagame. Tailwind is too difficult to use effectively with Regidrago. So I decided on everyone's (least) favorite speed control: paralysis spam. Equipped with Stun Spore, Slither Wing can find a lot of opportunities to spread paralysis and make Regidrago more dangerous. With Close Combat as STAB for threats like Hoodra, First Impression as backup priority, and U-Turn to pivot in Regidrago, Slither Wing becomes a strong defensive unit with the power to punch hard. And Rocky Helmet helps chip threats like Quaquaval, other U-Turn users, and other priority users.
View attachment 546932

the stinger (Thundurus) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Prankster
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt
- U-turn / Grass Knot
- Thunder Wave
:Thundurus:
Thundurus-Incarnate is a fast breaker with good pivoting abilities. Prankster Thunder Wave helps slow down opposing sweepers like Quaquaval, Agility Hisuian Braviary Galarian Moltres, and even slower threats like Skeledirge, Tinkaton, and Hisuian Arcanine. Spreading paralysis makes it easier for Regidrago to unleash its powerful attacks and helps the other teammates set up. Focus Blast and Thunderbolt provide good coverage, including Iron Treads, and Tera Fighting helps further damage threats like Quagsire and Hoodra. U-turn is selected over Volt Switch, giving Regidrago an almost guaranteed switch-in, preventing volt-switch block attempts from important grounds like Gastodon with Grass Knot as well as opposing Thundurus-Therian for chip damage.
View attachment 546942

the treader (Iron Treads) @ Leftovers
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Ground
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off
- Ice Spinner
- Earthquake
:Iron Treads: Originally I had Cyclizar as the spinner, but he felt very exploitable and offered little other than Knock, Spin, and U-Turn utility. Draco can hit hard but was redundant with another Dragon. So I swapped over to Iron Treads, with standard EVs, Jolly Nature and Leftovers. Knock Off for item removal and annoying checks, Ice Spinner for the genies and Salamence, Rapid Spin, and Earthquake with Tera Ground to increase its power.
View attachment 546937

the gayest (Quaquaval) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Moxie
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 132 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Step
- Brave Bird
- Bulk Up
- Roost
:Quaquaval: Quaquaval seemed like a great abuser on a para spam team by being able to invest in bulk, instead of max speed, to live hits and set up. Aqua Step, Roost, and Bulk Up seemed great but I didn't want to get walled by the common Tera Ghost Gastrodon, a common Duck counter. So I dropped Close Combat for Brave Bird, which can smash hard with Tera Flying! It also lets me set up on Earthquakes from Iron Treads, Gyarados, Donphan, Hippowdon, and Tyranitar. The tera-flying Brave Bird gives a good chance to beat other Quaquaval and Grass-types, and the aforementioned Ghost Gastrodon. With enough boosts, Quaquaval doesn't even need Tera Flying to beat Basculegion, another common check.
View attachment 546933

the masher (Arcanine-Hisui) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Rock Head
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Normal
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Extreme Speed
- Head Smash
- Flare Blitz
:arcanine-hisui: The last slot but certainly not least. Since this is more of an offensive team, I wanted a Stealth Rocker that could keep up the momentum and having Spin and Rocks on the Iron Treads put way too much responsibility on the robot wheel. So I chose Arcanine. STAB Rock Head Head Smash and Flare Blitz are not easy to switch into, and those that can don't like facing Regidrago afterwards (Quagsire, Gastrodon, and Hippowdon all struggle to take Dragon moves for example). It can also keep fairies out of a comfortable range to try to wall Regidrago, making it easier for cleanup late game. For the last move, I decided Tera Normal Extreme Speed, just a strong and safe priority in case anything went out of control. It does good damage too, and synergizes with the rest of the team to keep up the offensive pressure on switch-ins or faster setup mons. Extra reassurance against late-game threats never hurts!
View attachment 546936

TEAMBUILDING BREAKDOWN:

:Regidrago: After using a team from someone who has mixed Regidrago, I wanted to try my own spin on it. Hard to switch into unless you're a Fairy-type, but even then you can be KOd by Tera Blast Steel. The Speed EVs are just enough to outspeed things like Magnezone who could go for a trap if you Tera Steel. The big issue is Speed, so Regidrago needs the right team support for it - which I achieved mainly through Paralysis spam and pivots.

:Thundurus: The UUBL from last generation is still good, I'd even say it's better than Therian. The extra Speed helps against opposing fast threats like Zoroark, Gengar, Iron Treads, and ties with max Speed Scream Tails and Maushold. With extra support like U-Turn, Thunder Wave and potentially Grass Knot, it compliments Regidrago by giving it chances to come in, outspeed, and obliterate the opposition.

:Slither Wing: Slither Wing was an interesting choice, but it comes with its own U-Turn and Stun Spore. Not as fast as Thundurus-I, but it has good bulk and priority, still hits hard with Close Combat and First Impression, and its slow pivot is often helpful to get Regidrago in safely.

:Iron Treads: Treads was my choice of spinner over Donphan because the extra Speed seemed more useful and a Toxic immune was also helpful. Originally, I had Stealth Rock on Treads but I swapped that out for Ice Spinner to hit the genies harder, especially Thundurus-Therian. Knock Off and Earthquake were the last two options, for general support and hitting Ghost types attempting to block Spin hard. Tera Ground Earthquake can sometimes serve as a win condition as well.

:arcanine-hisui: Arcanine just hits hard with STAB moves and lasts a long time given no recoil. With those two main STAB moves, I added Stealth Rock as Arcanine often gets the opportunity to set it up when Ground types switch in and Tera Normal Extreme Speed is just another way to either kill set-up sweepers or just finish off the opposing team. Compressing both Rocker and hard hitter into one slot is nice because it frees up the last slot significantly.

(Weird comparison: Hisuian Arcanine feels like :Toxtricity: pre-home drop, hits hard but some things can wall it super easily, so adding hazards to maintain momentum was very helpful. In Toxtricity's case, it was Toxic Spikes. Just something I noticed while playing.)

:Quaquaval: The duck has proven itself to be a strong setup sweeper, and paralysis support gives it extra opportunities to do so, so he fits great as the last slot. Going for a max hp defensive set, with bulk to set up on hisuian Arcanine and other physically offensive threats. Aqua step was mandatory, roost was to stay healthy as long as possible, and bulk up to make it even harder to break. On this set tho, I decided to drop close combat for Tera Flying Brave Bird. Getting the earthquake immunity gives even more setup chances, and Tera Flying Brave Bird can break through tera ghost Gastrodon thinking it can wall it. Brave bird also hits Enamorus for good damage and doesn’t let Slowking have free opportunities to switch-in. With that, it finally helps vs. Quaquavel 1v1s, as you’re strong enough to get the blow to k.o. it. Gyarados has proven that flying and water is a super scary offensive typing, just Quaquavel doesn’t require tera to use both.

THREATS:

:quagsire: The derpy blob can be a nuisance for this team. Regidrago can bait it in and obliterate it, but if Regidrago goes down, then that becomes much harder. Swapping out U-Turn for Grass Knot on :thundurus: can remedy this though, but you would have to be much more prediction reliant to get switch-ins!

:Scream tail: The default switch-in to any Regidrago set. Tera blast steel can help get rid of Scream Tail, but it does require a lot of support to break through.

:Breloom: Technician Bullet Seed, Spore, and Rock Tomb can be an absolute pain to switch into. Usually, my go-to mon to have to be put asleep is Slither Wing since they can stall out sleep turns the best, but it is still super risky to do. Letting anything get a free setup is not ideal.

:scizor: SWORDS DANCE BULLET PUNCH :quagchamppogsire:. In all seriousness, Quaquavel can handle it after a bulk-up, but letting Scizor start snowballing early is hard to combat.

There is probably some I missed, if you have any let me know!

:Thundurus: VS :Thundurus Therian:

Let’s get the obvious question out of the way! “Why Incarnate over Therian, Therian hits harder!” And it does, but Prankster Thunder Wave and the faster speed tier for Iron Treads, Pawmot, and Gengar help this team more than just the raw power. And since I have a volt immune in Iron Treads, Volt Absorb did not seem necessary on this team.

CLOSING THOUGHTS:

At the end, this is an offensive team with some longevity, with the main goal to be to get Regidrago in and get as much damage as possible, then using the other slots as potential clean-up win cons. This was a very fun team to use and I've hit a new peak with it as well! I'm still new and learning so like I said before: any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thank you for reading!w

CREDITS AND COOL PEOPLE:
fyfyk (shared the Regidrago set)
Bice (helped make the team and gave feedback)
Liz Angeles (gave her thoughts on the team and helped me make the RMT)
PokemonIsFun (the Incarnate propoganda got to me)
ThatOneApple (made me remember stun spore slither wing in a random conversation LOL)
Queen Of Bean (gave replay tips and analysis)
StarBitStorm (another tester)
Lily (gave her thoughts and review on the team)
Mossy Sandwich (helped polish RMT)
And everyone else in PIA!
Peak was 1582: I would have gone for 1600 but, battling at such high ladder makes me super nervous! This is also my test account, which is why the GXE and Elo are super weird!
View attachment 546944
Since drops happened, I will add an update in the comments on this team soon once the shifts are done!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)