The Social Network

Join the club.

A movie came out that doesn't interest me. I know me that makes simultaneously stupid and shallow according to your remarks, but here's a newsflash; 90% of movies don't interest me. Especially dramas and comedy (some people said it was funny, but I'm guessing that's not the point).

I only remarked that I remember when it came out because people kept asking me if I was going to see it FOR a stupid reason. I never said it was a bad movie or that I hate facebook. I just don't care. I haven't bought or rented a movie in years. If I didn't see it theaters, I'm not gonna see it unless a friend brings over the DVD.
refer to my earlier bob dylan comment (though something about you suggests a lack of interest in music, as well). football movies are made for people who like football. this was not made for people who like facebook; it was made for people who like movies.

if neither comedy nor drama interest you i can't imagine what the medium of film has to offer you. i can't imagine what life itself has to offer you, really.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Armie Hammer's portayal of the Winklevoss twins was excellent as well. He has a knack for playing assholes. He played a similar role on the CW's Reaper.
The effect they used to superimpose his face on Josh Pence was pretty awesome. I had no idea they were two different actors until afterward.

Is anyone else just confused why von decided to post in the first place?

I saw the movie, it was great. I'm confused why everyone said Mark was portrayed as only building Facebook for his girlfriend, when he only talked to her at the beginning. I fell asleep for a bit (watching a movie at 3 will do that to you) but as far as I know she never showed up again.

Its not edgy or daring like a film, but it will be useful in the future as an indicator of these times. This is the type of movie you can show your children so they can see what life was like for you as far as technology goes.

I found this movie somewhat trite. It's marketed as a true story, when most of this was fictionalised in a calculated way to make Zuckerberg seem like a rockstar. This marketing in this movie basically made him person of the year.

Interesting. I had sympathy for Zuckerberg but much more for Saverin. I wanted the Winklevon (or whatever) twins to crash and burn. Unfortunately they did end up with a large settlement and are now asking for even more.
The way I saw it was that it was Zuckerberg's ideas that continually drove the project forward so he deserved the most credit. Sure he had to step on a few toes, but he simply played the game smarter than everyone else.

Firestorm

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
And without Saverin's money, he'd never have been able to get it started. I think Zuckerberg did value the friendship (at least the movie version of him), but it got out of control. Saverin did get royally screwed. I liked the lines "To be honest, at the time, I thought they were my lawyers" and "I was your only friend".

As someone who's pretty interested in social media / tech startups, the subject matter was intriguing to me as well. Actually, what it made me want to do afterwards was look up bits on which parts were true and which were exaggerated for the movie. Does anyone have some links to help me out?
I'd also be very interested in the true story, restating that question^

As for the movie, it wasn't as fantastic as some reviews may suggest, but it was quite brilliant. A great contrast to the very typical and cliched movies that come out. For example, I enjoyed the way they started out at the lawyers table, and were having flashbacks. Adds another dynamic to the movie. The movie (and I suppose the actors) also offer a very good insight into the people behind the names, and because of it's very personal and humourous approach, I'd recommend it to anyone. I enjoyed it, and I'm not remotely interested in computers or facebook or law, mostly.

I'd also like to add, from a non-entertainment point of view, the film does encapsulate the way a lot of businesses are run nowadays. That's another reason to take an interest, because there are some very important and relevant messages in the film.

monkfish

what are birds? we just don't know.
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
ok i tried to watch it and i got really bored in the first scene when he's arguing with his girlfriend so i turned it off

maybe i should retry..?

finally saw this. thoroughly enjoyed it! it is somewhat paradoxical in that i didn't find anything special about it, just that it was uniformally interesting to watch and didn't feel like it dragged on anywhere, but the sad state of the movie industry is that such a thing is so rare that it does in fact become 'special'.

eisenberg did a fantastic job and the script was quite close to perfect. when i saw the first party scene while the nerds were hacking i got severely worried that it was indicative of an awful bro-movie to come with horrendous rags-to-riches cliches and 'DONT U WISH U WERE HERE' party scenes (21, anyone?) but luckily my fears were unfounded and the premise was handled well.

I finally saw this movie the other day, and I would say what I felt about it but Glen's post is literally what I would've typed. I felt the same about the fact that the whole movie was thoroughly interesting although it never special. Although, I do think it's one of-if-not-the best movie of the year (will certainly win Best Picture at the Oscars).

Firestorm

ok i tried to watch it and i got really bored in the first scene when he's arguing with his girlfriend so i turned it off

maybe i should retry..?
Yeah, retry. Like I mentioned earlier, that scene is to establish his character and inability to connect with others. I mean, you quit before the opening credits even stopped rolling I think!

I can't believe how flawless the superimposition was, I was none the wiser until afterwards when I found out they used the same face.

On another note, I loved the bittersweet ending, with him sitting there f5'ing like a lost cause.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)