The Rise of Jolteon

Team At A Glance

Team Building Process

I started the team when I saw Jolteon's new ability Quick Feet and Volbeat's new ability Mischievous Heart as well as the wonderful boost to Tail Glow. At first, I dismissed Quick Feet Jolteon as useless, but then I realized that in combination with Volbeat, it could become an absolute monster in a very short amount of time.

The first thing I realized was that even with +3 or even +6 SpA, Jolteon would get walled to hell and back by Blissey. Enter Kerudio. It's STAB Fighting move Mystery Sword operates off it's high SpA stat (higher than Lucario folks!) and hits the enemy's defense instead of SpA. And it gets boosted by Tail Glow. Blissey would NOT be a problem.

So now with two special attackers, I decided to add in two physical attackers to balance out my attacking spectrum. Speed Boost Blaziken has been hyped to no end, and quite frankly, it deserves it. It's quite the beast.

As for my other physical attacker, why not the classic Salamence? It was banished to the Ubers tier last gen, but it's back this gen to kick some butt in OU once again, at least until it gets banned to Ubers again (if that even happens). It was also granted a handy Dream World ability in Overconfidence, but I'll get to that later.

And finally, to round out my team, I felt a solid revenge killer would be necessary. That's where Ditto comes in. It's amazing new Dream World Eccentric turned what used to be a joke Pokemon into a major threat. With a choice scarf, it effectively outspeeds almost every Pokemon.

In-depth

Volbeat (M) @ Focus Sash Trait: Mischievous Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Tail Glow
- Thunder Wave
- Bug Buzz
- Baton Pass

The 5th Gen has blessed many Pokemon, not the least of which is Volbeat. Tail Glow received a beautiful boost to +3 SpA, meaning it can max out it's SpA in only two turns. It's already painfully obvious how that can be extremely devastating. It's Dream World ability gave it something even better, Mischievous Heart, granting it's non-attacking moves +1 priority. With priority Tail Glow, Thunder Wave, and Baton Pass, you can see how he can be utterly devastating. Bug Buzz gives it something to do if Taunted, and at +3 or +6 SpA, it's not anything your average lead will easily shake off. Volbeat does have problems with MH Taunt/Encore users such as say, Erufuun, as well as damaging weather inducers such as T-tar, Abomasnow, and Hippowdon. The only one that can really stop it is T-tar, and I have ways of dealing with it anyways.

Jolteon (M) @ Flame Orb
Trait: Quick Feet
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Shadow Ball
- Baton Pass

Jolteon was threatening on its own in the 4th gen, but now, it's borderline godly with the right support. Because of it's wonderful STAB, the only common special walls that can even attempt to wall it are Blissey, and to a lesser extent, Snorlax, as Burungeru and Vaporeon wouldn't dare switch in on it. At first glance, it seems like it wouldn't benefit from Quick Feet, but that assumption is a very bad assumption to make. Because the entire point of the Volbeat lead is to give this guy a nice power boost, wouldn't it be a shame if say, a Scarf Flygon or Garchomp came in to ruin Jolteon's fun early on? With Quick Feet, that's not an issue. You really have NO idea how many times that happened in matches I played. Gon or Chomp would switch in expecting the easy revenge with Earthquake, and would get swiftly OHKO'd by a 4x super effective, boosted HP Ice. The same even goes for Ditto, as even with a Scarf, Ditto speed ties with Jolteon. At +3, Shadow Ball is a 2HKO, and at +6, Shadow Ball is an easy OHKO. It's definitely a gamble, but I've only lost the speed tie once out of the 10 or so times the situations it's came up, so I'm fine with the risk. Baton Pass allows it to bless Kerudio or even Salamence with the +3 or 6 boost once it's health starts running low, which happens fairly quickly thanks to the horrible survivability provided by the burn. It's also Jolteon's first response to a Blissey switch in.

Kerudio @ Life Orb
Trait: Justice Heart
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 HP / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Calm Mind

- Mystery Sword
- Surf
- HP Electric

Kerudio may look like a My Little Pony, but the thing is undoubtedly a true offensive force. It can operate independently thanks to Calm Mind, or if it gets passed the SpA boosts from Jolteon, it can start hitting hard right off the bat. Mystery Sword is a wonderful move for an all special attacker, as it absolutely destroys Blissey and Snorlax. It also does some great damage to Vaporeon thanks to Vaporeon's low defense stat. Surf is an all around great move, and it helps that Kerudio gets STAB on it. HP Electric is basically the only thing preventing Kerudio from getting walled mercilessly by Water Absorb Burungeru, which will undoubtedly be an extremely common wall in the new gen.

Blaziken (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Speed Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Hi Jump Kick
- Stone Edge

Blaziken is my next heavy hitter. It gets wonderful offensive coverage, gets a boost in speed every turn thanks to it's new Dream World ability Speed Boost, and can even boost it's already great Attack stat to ridiculous levels with Swords Dance which it gets many opportunities to use because of the switches it forces. It also helps get rid of Nattorei which is pretty much the last defensive threat to Jolteon.

Salamence (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Earthquake Spiral
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

Salamence has always been a ridiculously powerful offensive threat, and this gen brought a new toy for it in it's new Dream World ability Overconfidence, which gives it a +1 attack boost every time it nabs a KO. And with a Pokemon like Salamence, that's almost guaranteed. This does have a drawback however, as Outrage is illegal with it. Still, Dragon Claw gets the job done, and the Overconfidence boost is basically passive because of how monstrously powerful Mence is and how easily it secures boosts.

Ditto @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Eccentric
EVs: 255 HP / 255 Spd
Hardy Nature
- Transform

Ditto is pretty much the Pokemon that keeps me safe. If a Pokemon somehow manages to rack up some decent boosts, Ditto goes in and revenges it after it takes one of my Pokemon out, and sometimes even manages to sweep with the Pokemon's boosts and attack. There's not really much to say with Ditto since it talks for itself.

Conclusion

Well, that's my team. It's served me well on Pokemon Online, but it could be better, so that's why I decided to post an RMT. I'm open to changes, but Volbeat and Jolteon need to stay at the very least. Also, I'm sorry about the size of the Kerudio and Blaziken pictures. I tried to make them smaller, but every time I saved my edits, they changed back to their original sizes. Oh well.

Put protect on Volbeat so Fake Out leads don't rape you.

Jolteon really cannot take a hit, which is an issue when you want to pass to him, so consider adding a bulky reciever somewhere.

In terms of your strat to beat Blissey - if it statuses you then either Jolt or Keru is screwed. Run Sub to make up for this (over Shadow Ball) or simply use Blaziken to beat it.

Notably Volbeat loses utterly to TTar and Abomasnow leads, so pack something to counter them - perhaps try Hariyama over say Blaziken or Ditto?

Try those tips and see how you fare.

I do like the integrity of this team, very original.

But remember if you run into ANY lead that can counter Volbeat (Erufuun, Ttar, Obamasnow, etc.) then your whole strategy is fucked. Also, Volbeat is in desperate need of Protect for the likes of Kojondo. Try replacing it with Thunder Wave.

Although the addition of Quick Feet is nice, Jolteon is very frail and with Burn wearing it down, a priority user can come in after only a few turns and knock it out.

It's a breath of fresh air but to be honest, not the most effective.

The.Lost.Hylian

Conquer your Shadow
is a Researcher Alumnus
I'd rather pass the Tail Glow boosts to Salamence, KO with Draco Meteor a couple times, and roll out with Dragon Claw after the +2 Attack boosts from DM.

I like the idea, though, but with the Burn and his shitty defensive stats, he's not gonna 6-0 anyone before he dies :(

Your Kerudio has 252 Atk EVs, yet has not physical attacks. Perhaps you meant HP or SpA. Mystery Sword uses your SpA and the opponent's Def so Atk EVs are redundent.

Nattoei walls your jolteon too
<<<.>>>>
Really? You're going to post that? He has Kerudio and Blaziken on the team, aswell, who can punch nattorei in the face. All pokemon get walled by something. There's no need to point it out.

That was, by far, the least relevant post I've ever read.

Anyway, onto your team. I've never been much of a fan of baton pass teams. I see some problems in that Doryuuzu, a top-10 pokemon, can come in and sweep your whole team, bar blaziken if it has speed boost. Jolteon can outspeed, but can't ko without +3-6 SpA.

I'd rather pass the Tail Glow boosts to Salamence, KO with Draco Meteor a couple times, and roll out with Dragon Claw after the +2 Attack boosts from DM.

I like the idea, though, but with the Burn and his shitty defensive stats, he's not gonna 6-0 anyone before he dies :(

The salamence idea here is pretty legit.
:)

why salamence? ice shard dead =.= I would run something with vaccum wave instead like maybe infernape or lucario, off the top of my head, but theres probably something better to pass to than priority weak jolt.

I'd add Gengar somewhere. Gengar will WRECK with a Tail Glow boost and it's immune to both EQ and Mach Punch, two thing Jolteon has to worry about. Plus it has amazing coverage with Shadow Ball and HP Fighting alone (better to choose that over Focus Miss for prolonged sweeping). Then add Substitute and Thunderbolt/Pain Split and you'll be hanging around for awhile. Hell, Gengar can learn Giga Drain can't he? With a +3 boost you'll be sapping an absurd amount of health to keep you in the game. Yeah, Shadow Ball, HP Fighting, Substitute and Giga Drain sounds awesome.

Ditto is a good choice, but i think the team could use a Status spammer or a rapid spanner, since Blazekin and Salamence could be sliced to threads by Stealth Rock or Spikes (only in Blazekin's case with the spikes). So maybe a Forretress, so you can rapid spin then lay down some spikes, t.spikes or stealth rocks yourself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)