XY OU The Return Of Volt-turn

I was trying to build a team, and thought to try out Volt-turn. This team is pretty interesting, and I had fun making it.
479-w.png

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Thunder Wave
- Will-O-Wisp
This is my check/counter to several things in the tier. This stops Talonflame dead in its tracks, who otherwise screws up this team. It also helps against the monster named mega pinsir who wrecks the rest of my team at +2. The double status is to give me an option to cripple Zard X, AND stop Scarf Lando-T who can play his own U-turn games on my team.
212.png

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit
- Superpower
Scizor has one of the most, if not the most, powerful U-turn's in OU, making it an obvious choice for this team. It provides great synergy with Rotom-W, and also benefits from T-wave. Scizor also has a wickedly powerful Priority in bullet punch, which can save you a couple battles against a weakened Mega Pinsir.
310-m.png

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightningrod
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]
My mega on the team, Mega Manectric was an obvious choice as he has intimidate which helps a ton, and has volt switch to get out of tricky situations. It also has pretty good synergy with Rotom-W and Scizor. I used to have Hidden Power Grass for Quagsire as I used to have Gothitelle, but ultimately decided hidden power Ice was a lot better.
660.png

Diggersby @ Life Orb
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Return
- Quick Attack
I chose Diggersby for this team mainly for Heatran. I used to have a Ferrothorn to set up Rocks and Spikes, and had nothing for heatran, which destroyed my team. Diggersby also possesses a powerful priority in quick attack, 2hkoing most fast sweepers combined with Scizor's Bullet Punch.
658.png

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Grass Knot
- Surf
- U-turn
- Extrasensory
Greninja took over Gothitelle's spot on this team, taking care of Quagsire quite easily. I chose Greninja simply because it can tear up Quags, Swamperts, and Gastros when I see on. It also helps weaken Mega Venu and can hit Heatran rather hard. I chose not to go with Ice Beam because i felt Extrasensory and Grass knot gave better coverage.
385.png

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
Jirachi, my stealth rocker. Without hazards, Volt-turn doesn't work as near as well. With U-turn and Rocks, Jirachi felt like the perfect choice. His moveset took me a while to choose, as Wish on Volt-turn works extremely nice, but I decided against against it over an extra T-waver. I usually lead Rachi, as wearing down mon's from the start helps me win many games.

This is my second RMT, my first being really terrible. I hope you guys give me a shot, and help me better my team through any means. :]

One simple suggestion is switch out diggersby for Landorus. Landorus is simply better in almost every way, and it also can learn U-turn to fit in with your volt-turn combo. Other than that your team looks pretty good.

I suggest something along the lines of this set

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 140 HP / 156 Atk / 212 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Although landorus lacks priority, U-turn can easily take out weakened pokemon and allow you to keep momentum. Superpower and explosion are other options to run over knock off. Superpower is for hitting mega gyrados, ferrothorn, and air balloon heatran or excadrill. Explosion is for ridiculous damage, but should only be used when Landorus is almost dead or has no other options.

dont really have time for a full rate right now but voltturn doesnt mean that u run volt switch / u-turn on every pokemon. u gotta take that into account--it turns the strategy into a gimmick and wastes a shitton of moveslots. diggersby and scizor serve pretty much the same function and as WaffleTitan said lando-t basically outclasses diggersby. imo double status on Rotom is pretty bad, I'd recommend you run pain split over twave as its rotom's only form of recovery outside rest and saves ur ass in a lot more situations than twave. your greninja set is also a little off, i'm gunna fix them quick

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp

reasons listed above

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Atk / 232 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Knock Off

this spread allows u to outspeed a lot more threats and do a lot more dmg overall - this way it outspeeds positive-natured base 80s at +1, scarf excadrill, and positive-natured base 150s (mega alakazam and mega aerodactyl) as well as ohkoing greninja with eq after rocks

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 12 Def / 252 SpA / 244 Spe
Timid Nature

- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Extrasensory

without ice beam and hp fire, gren loses out on a lot of coverage (ferrothorn, scizor, zapdos, dragonite, etc). hydro pump is also a more than significant power increase over surf, allowing you to 2hko things like clefable. as I said, you don't need to run u-turn on every mon and tbh you probably shouldnt if you want to have success using a voltturn team. evs are to outspeed positive-natured base 120s since you cant tie with opposing non-hp fire gren, and being slower than opposing gren allows you to beat them 1v1 if you predict right

theres probly a lot more i could do with this team, this is just a surface rate. i hope you take my suggestion to run some mons without volt/turn into consideration. good luck with the team and welcome to smogon :]

Fuzzfire is right. VoltTurn does not mean Volt Switch / U-turn on every poke. Scizor and Diggersby have very similar roles (I also recommend Lando-T over Digg). Definitely Pain Split > T-wave on Rotom.

Since you don't have Knock Off on your team, you could use it over Pursuit on Scizor to remove items

Use Overheat instead of Flamethrower on Manectric. Flamethrower fails to KO the most offensive Excadrill, who will always OHKO back with EQ

Greninja really likes the coverage from Ice Beam, so I think you should use it over U-turn. Despite the accuracy, Hydro Pump is recommended over Surf to secure some OHKOs and 2HKOs

Once again, U-turn is not required on every poke, and Jirachi's new ghost and dark weaknesses leave him lackluster in OU. Plus paraflinch is a cheap, hax-based strategy. You should find a replacement to set up rocks.

Fuzzfire is right. VoltTurn does not mean Volt Switch / U-turn on every poke. Scizor and Diggersby have very similar roles (I also recommend Lando-T over Digg). Definitely Pain Split > T-wave on Rotom.

Since you don't have Knock Off on your team, you could use it over Pursuit on Scizor to remove items

Use Overheat instead of Flamethrower on Manectric. Flamethrower fails to KO the most offensive Excadrill, who will always OHKO back with EQ

Greninja really likes the coverage from Ice Beam, so I think you should use it over U-turn. Despite the accuracy, Hydro Pump is recommended over Surf to secure some OHKOs and 2HKOs

Once again, U-turn is not required on every poke, and Jirachi's new ghost and dark weaknesses leave him lackluster in OU. Plus paraflinch is a cheap, hax-based strategy. You should find a replacement to set up rocks.
Agree on everything but the Paraflinch part, that's not actually a reason to not use it and telling people that they shouldn't use something because "cheap hax" is anti-competitive scrub mentality.

IMO some sort of hazard control is near mandatory in a VoltTurn team. Hazards will greatly reduce the number of times you can VoltTurn effectively. One way to go about it without altering your team drastically would be to run a bulkier Scizor spread with Defog. I suggest 248 HP / 44 Atk / 216 SDef with an Adamant Nature.
Scizor @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Atk / 216 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn / Pursuit
- Defog
- Roost

Normally I'd agree that double status Rotom is terrible but its alright in specific matchups, especially against very offensive teams where the pokes don't have a lot of HP to share with Pain Split. Paralyzing XZard, Mega Pinsir and Talonflame can be huge whereas Pain Split is more useful on bulkier teams where pokes have more HP to share. Good luck with your team!!

Agree on everything but the Paraflinch part, that's not actually a reason to not use it and telling people that they shouldn't use something because "cheap hax" is anti-competitive scrub mentality.
An anti-competitive scrub mentality? I hope you're not implying that it takes any kind of skill or prediction to click T-wave and then Iron Head over and over. My point about it being a hax-based strategy is this: it will not be very consistent because you are relying on RNG to take out the opponent. The inconsistency is the reason not to use it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)