National Dex The Rage Of The Matchup Moth

Rate from 1-10 (10 is amazing and 1 is garbage)

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 9.1%

Votes: 3 27.3%

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters
The Rage Of The Matchup Moth
Hello, this is my first RMT and I hope I'm not breaking any rules. Volcarona is my favorite non-legendary so I wanted to build a good team around it. Unfortunately, Volcarona is in a pretty horrid spot in the current meta. I kept running into problems and I ended up with this version. The team is below this paragraph (also I'm pretty sure it's a balance team).

Volcarona (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Roost

BatCrab (Gliscor) (M) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 52 Def / 188 SpD / 24 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Roost
- Earthquake
- Defog
- Knock Off

Spiky Strawberry (Toxapex) (F) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SpD
Impish Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Haze
- Toxic

Armored Pickle (Ferrothorn) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 24 Def / 232 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip

Blueberry (Reuniclus) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast

Draconic Jellybean (Latias-Mega) (F) @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Ice Beam
- Calm Mind
- Roost

The Sets:
tumblr_nwhdpdH1mu1tfc7x4o1_1280.png
Volcarona (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Roost

This is what the team is built around. The Volcarona is the bulky variant since its one of the best SubRoost Kyurem answers and because it lasts longer in games. Max speed is to outspeed Hydreigon and Kyurem. I am using Fiery Dance over Flamethrower because I don't know a matchup where the extra bit of PP will actually matter that much. If Volcarona needs to use that many moves its probably not making any progress and therefore, is probably deadweight in the game anyway. Fiery Dance also gives Volcarona a more realistic chance at sweeping since an extra boost can help it muscle through Landorus and Garchomp which would normally be able to take a hit and kill Volcarona back. Also, in case you haven't noticed, Volcarona is the only team member that isn't named. If anyone has good name suggestions you can tell me.​

Armored Pickle (Ferrothorn) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 24 Def / 232 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip

I added Ferrothorn to the team because it can get a Knock Off on Heatran which makes it significantly easier to deal with. This is important for obvious reasons. Ferrothorn is also incredibly good at wearing down foes which the rest of the team really appreciates. The 232 SpDef is for Greninja, the Def is leftover, and the minimum speed is for a better Trick Room matchup. Stealth Rock is used because I don't have another setter, and Power Whip is for a better rain matchup. I don't think I need to explain the rest of the moves.​

Blueberry (Reuniclus) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Recover
- Calm Mind

Reuniclus is here because it can kind of bait Heatran, and can also destroy Toxapex and non Thunder Wave Chansey and Blissey. Psyshock is here for stab and because it can hit on the physical side which is good against Chansey and Blissey. Focus Blast is to hit Heatran, Ferrothorn, and to get a neutral hit against other things like Corviknight. It also hits darks like Tyranitar and Weavile. Weakening Tyranitar is important since it can take a hit from Volcarona and destroy it with a Stone Edge.​

Spiky Strawberry (Toxapex) (F) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Toxic
- Haze

Toxapex is here because it's just super good and has good type synergy with Ferrothorn. Scald and Recover are almost mandatory on Toxapex (especially since Dragapult is banned) and Haze is there to beat setup sweepers. Baneful Bunker is also an option if the team isn't safe enough against Cinderace. It also can annoy things like Mega Medicham, Belly Drum Kommo-o, and Hawlucha. I could run Toxic Spikes here as well, but the psychic types on the team aren't helpless against dark types. There are also a surprisingly large amount of mons immune to Toxic Spikes. The SpDef is to take 2 Specs Greninja's Dark Pulses after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes. The Def is leftover.​

BatCrab (Gliscor) (M) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 52 Def / 188 SpD / 24 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Defog

Gliscor is here because it's a Defogger that can switch into Heatran. Taunt Heatran has no switch ins on this team and Gliscor fixes that (well unless it's a Z-Crystal variant). Gliscor also appreciates how Volcarona can switch into Kyurem. Earthquake is for STAB, Knock Off is to knock off items, Roost is for recovery, and Defog is to remove hazards. The HP is to get a Poison Heal number, the Def is for Mega Mawile, the Speed is to outspeed mons that are EV'd to outspeed Heatran, and the SpDef is leftover.​

Draconic Jellybean (Latias) (F) @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Ice Beam
- Roost
- Calm Mind

Latias is here because it give a lot of stuff to the team. It gives it something fast, another CM wincon, another Rillaboom check, another counter to some Mega Medicham sets, another counter to some Heatran sets, a Manaphy switch-in, and a way to revenge kill Garchomp, Landorus, and Gliscor. The last 2 are very important. The set is the standard CM set but with Ice Beam for revenge killing purposes since Reuniclus already has Focus Blast. Psyshock is to win CM wars and destroy Blissey and Chansey after enough boosts. Latias also gives the team a lot of options. I could change this to be Defog and make Gliscor SD, or I could make Latias Refresh or something and replace Gliscor with another Defogger. I could also replace Reuniclus with something else and make Latias Aura Sphere though I would prefer to be able to not get destroyed by SD Landorus, garchomp, and Gliscor. Latias's versatility gives the team a whole lot of options and I'm just not sure which is the best one.

Threatlist:
:rillaboom:No switch ins on the team. However, Toxapex can take a hit and use Baneful Bunker to get a poison and/or force mind games against it. Mega Latias and Volcarona are also good checks to it.
:kartana:Toxapex and/or Mega Latias can usually handle scarf sets but Z-Move variants can be annoying. Especially since Mega Latias needs chip to actually kill it with Ice Beam.
:salamence: :dragonite: :pinsir-mega: :gyarados-mega: Setup sweepers like these can just setup on something that doesn't threaten it and then destroy this team. This is an issue mostly because they run Earthquake to hit Toxapex.
:latios: Its high amount of coverage options can be a pain especially since Magnezone is one of its common partners.
:latias: Not as dangerous as her brother since she runs less coverage, but can still be a pain.
:clefable: :reuniclus: CM variants of these are in the same situation as Mega Latias.
:mawile-mega: :bisharp: Typically won't be sweeping the team but can punch a big hole.
:cinderace: If Gliscor gets chipped and if Cinderace is running Zen Headbutt, than it can be a big problem. Bulk Up sets can also be annoying. Baneful Bunker on Toxapex can be run over Haze if Cinderace is too much of a problem.
:blissey: :chansey: Thunder Wave variants of these are a huge pain to deal with. Otherwise, Reuniclus should be able to deal with these and Gliscor can annoy them with Knock Off. However, but be careful if Reuniclus gets chipped.
:excadrill: This team has no good counter to it.
:toxapex: Haze variants of this can be annoying since an uninvested and unboosted Psyshock from Reuniclus and Earthquake from Gliscor fail to 2hko it.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)