Zebstrika from B+ to B
Butterfree remains in B-
Electrode remains in B-
Raticate remains in C+
Gigalith remains in C+
Quilladin remains in C
Scraggy remains in C-
Reasoning:
Sneasel is far and away one of the best Pokemon in the tier. With a moveset of Knock Off / Ice Punch / Ice Shard / Low Kick it has very few defensive answers that can stay reliable throughout the duration of a game, and offensive teams typically have to sac a Pokemon in order to bring in a revenge killer due its limited offensive switch-ins. Its main counter Poliwrath is a common Pokemon, but it is easily exploited by other top tier threats such as Musharna and Roselia. Another factor that contributes to Sneasel's placement in S Rank is that its defensive answers will likely lose their item when checking Sneasel, causing them to be less effective against the other Pokemon in the tier they are used as checks for. Additionally, the Eviolite Swords Dance set has been gaining popularity and is more effective against defensive teams, while the Life Orb variant takes on offensive teams well. Altogether, Sneasel is a powerful offensive Pokemon with utility against all styles of play, and deserves its current S ranking.

Scyther is another premier offensive Pokemon in PU. It is very fast and strong, with two main sets, Eviolite Swords Dance and Choice Band, both of which really appreciate Bug-type STAB to actually threaten Musharna, as well as Aerial Ace for Poliwrath, easily dismantling the popular defensive core. Its bulky Swords Dance set finds various setup opportunities, as does its SubSD set, and with only a few counters like Golem and Carracosta, it can be a devastating sweeper. While its main downfall is its Stealth Rock weakness and vulnerability to Ice Shard, it is one of the best setup sweepers in the tier and its STAB typing is brilliant in the PU metagame offensively, so it has moved up to A+.

Gourgeist-S deserves to be in the same rank as Gourgeist-XL mainly because they are very similar and each's advantages aren't really enough to distinguish themselves in the current metagame. Gourgeist-S is more effective against balances teams in order to get off fast Will-o-Wisps and Leech Seeds, while Gourgiest-XL's extra bulk comes in handy in a variety of situations. Therefore, Gourgeist-S is moveing up to A- Rank.

In a tier with few Fire-types, Ninetales really stands out. Its Speed is quite high for PU standards, and it is one of the fastest viable Fire-types (however slower than Simisear), notably outspeeding all of the Gourgeist formes. What really pushes it up though is its access to Nasty Plot and a strong STAB move in Fire Blast, which allows it to often sweep balanced teams really well. It has pretty good special bulk as well as Psyshock in order to take on Pokemon such as Flareon and Lickilicky after setup, so it has moved up to A-.

Throh's raise to A- is justified by the fact that it is as superb Sneasel check thanks to its rare Fighting typing and great 120 / 85 / 85 bulk, which is quite impressive invested. Knock Off gives it a way to harm things like Misdreavus and Haunter, unlike Poliwrath, and Guts is an excellent ability for absorbing Scalds and switching into Will-o-Wisps from the Gourgiest formes. Its competition with Poliwrath is a factor that must be thought of when considering a raise even higher.

With Adaptability, Basculin is one of the hardest hitters in the tier, and its Water typing lets it fit perfectly on the many teams with Water-type late-game sweepers such as Swift Swim Carracosta and Nasty Plot Simipour. It also possesses Aqua Jet which is a huge boon considering the lack of priority in the tier. It can also use a Mold Break set to OHKO lead Golem through Sturdy. It is moving up to B+, but it is not moving in any higher at the moment due to its unfortunate Speed and its inability to break one of the most prevalent defensive Pokemon, Tangela.

Gogoat is remaining in B+ for various reasons. While it has nice bulk and access to Bulk Up and Milk Drink, it has a huge 4MSS syndrome and struggles with common defensive Pokemon like Roselia and Tangela. It also fares poorly against common threats such as Sneasel and Musharna, while facing a lot of competition with faster offensive Grass-types such as Serperior.

Altaria is remaining in B rank for the time being, and it is very important to know that this is only temporary and it will almost definitely be moving in the next update. The council recognised that Altaria has a lot of potential, such as a Choice Specs set which is a fine switch-in to Poliwrath and a Dragon Dance set to sweep weakened teams, however the lack of experience with and against Altaria as well as its numerous flaws on paper halted us from making a strong decision immediately, however it is essential that this receives discussion before the next update.

While Avalugg walls a plethora of physical attackers, its helplessness against most special attackers in addition to its inability to really trouble spinblockers means that it is only rising to B Rank for now, but this could easily change in the future.

The only unanimous decision of every vote, Bastiodon is moving down to B Rank. It was agreed that while Bastiodon could wall some threats like Musharna and Chatot, it was typically a poor choice on stall teams due to its complete passiveness, lack of reliable recovery, and common weaknesses.

Mantine is moving down to B Rank. Its offensive Swift Swim set faces a lot of competition with Swanna, which boasts Hurricane and stronger power. It isn't that strong and its defensive sets lose a lot of momentum with RestTalk, which unlike Poliwrath, lacks the ability to do anything about the common switch-ins while it is asleep. Its defensive sets also have huge competition with Pelipper which has recovery, U-turn, and can check Sneasel far better.

Mightyena is an efficient late-game cleaner. However, it is staying in B Rank due to its very low power initially, frailty, and reliance on Sucker Punch against faster Pokemon which can easily be taken advantage of. Having Play Rough for Poliwrath is nice, but it doesn't do enough without STAB.

With Samurott's absence, Simipour is raising all the way up to B Rank. It is the best special Water-type in the tier with a great Nasty Plot set, which is benefited by Simipour's impressive Speed. However, it does have trouble with Pokemon such as Serperior, Raichu, and Rotom-F, which is why it hasn't raises further for now.

Swoobat can be a threat after a Calm Mind thanks to its high Speed and Stored Power, but it finds very very few setup opportunities with its poor bulk and can be revenge killed by almost any revenge killer. It may be more effective against balanced teams but it still lacks the crucial bulk necessary to setup often, so it is staying in B Rank.

Zebstrika is moving down to B Rank based on the premise that it is worse than Raichu and very frail. It has some plus points like Sap Sipper and Overheat, but they don't do enough to merit its previous ranking. It also faces heavy competition with Electrode.

Butterfree stays in B- rank as it is often too difficult to get a sweep with it. While it has interesting abilities and Sleep Powder, it is quite weak and easily revengable by the common Electric-types in the tier.

Electrode was very close to moving up to B Rank, but too many of the council were unsure of its placement. It has numerous advantages over Zebstrika though, so it is being highlighted for discussion.

Raticate and Gigalith are both remaining in C+ as they have very few advantages over higher ranked Pokemon with similar roles. Raticate has barely anything over Ursaring, and Gigalith has little over Golem including lacking a great Ground typing.

Quilladin and Scraggy retain their ranks due to little council experience with them, though they are likely going to move in the future, but they need much more discussion right now.

Here was the voting verdict:
bastiodon b (unanimous)
zebstrika b (unanimous agreement; one preferred b-)
simipour b (four b, three b+, one abstention, highlight for discussion next in update)
basculin b+ (six b+, two abstentions)
mightyena b (six b, two abstentions)
raticate c+ (five c+, three abstentions, keep on watch)
mantine b (six b, one b-, one abstention)
swoobat b (seven b, one abstain)
altaria no change for now (five abstentions, two b+, one a-, no change for now, highlight for discussion in next update)
throh a- (four b+, two a-, two a, highlight for discussion in next update)
gigalith c+ (five c+, two c, one abstention)
quilladin no change for now (six abstentions, one c, one c+, no change for now, highlight for discussion in next update)
scraggy no change for now (five abstentions, one c, one c-, one b-, no change for now, highlight for discussion in next update)
gourgiest-s a- (five a-, three abstentions)
bouffalant a (seven a, one a-)
butterfree no change for now (five abstentions, three b-, no change for now, highlight for discussion in next update)
gogoat b+ (three abstentions , three b+, two a-, highlight for discussion in next update)
scyther a+ (five a+, two a, one abstention)
avalugg b (two b+, four b, one b-, one abstention, highlight for discussion in next update)
ninetales a- (five a-, two b+, one abstention)
electrode no change for now (four b, three b-, one abstention, no change for now, highlight for discussion in next update)
sneasel s (seven s, one a+)
Pokemon to be discussed before the next update:
Code:
Throh from A- to A
Gogoat from B+ to A-
Altaria from B to A- / B+
Avalugg from B to A- / B+
Simipour from B to B+
Electrode from B- to B
Quilladin from C to C+
Simisage from D to C+
Solrock from C- to C+
Tropius from C- to C+
Wailord from C- to C+
Walrein from C- to C+
Dusclops from D+ to C
Vibrava from Unlisted to C
Dusknoir from D- to D+
Maractus from D- to D+
Regigigas from E to D
Cacnea from unlisted to D-
Corsola from D to E
Dunsparce from D+ to E
Illumise from C- to E
Minun from D- to E
Noctowl from D to E
Phione from D to E
Pidgeot from C to E
Plusle from D- to E
Stantler from D+ to E
Shedinja from D+ to E
Unfezant from D+ to E
Clefairy from D+ to unlisted
Pikachu from D- to unlisted
I will update the thread soon. Keep discussing!

Just going to say that LO Basculin with ice beam 2hkos physical defensive tangela, but yes I agree with the B+ ranking for now.

Dusknoir for C imo, it has a very strong trick CB set that allows it to beat both of the tiers spinners 1v1, while still dealing good damage against defensive titans like Gourgeist_XL and poliwrath. It can also screw over some of the top pokemon in the tier with trick.

Solrock from C- to C+/B-

Solrock has from my experience been a great Stealth rock setter. Being able to outspeed, burn and wall common stealth rock leads such as Piloswine, Marowak, Rampardos and Golem gives it a pretty solid niche in the metagame. Ground immunity and reliable recovery in mourning sun gives it some capabilities as a wall, but it's weaknesses to bug, water and dark gives it a very hard time against most top tier threats.

Here are my opinions on the pokemon to be discussed.

Throh from A- to A: Agree. Although I think poliwrath is a little better overall, he's pretty bulky and can really be annoying to stop. he can take status with guts and he has multiple options with access to bulk up, knock off, circle throw, and storm throw. +1 252+ storm throw (from a bulk up, choice band, or guts activation) 2hkos 252+ defense avalugg after sr damage, which can surprise people expecting to be able to spin away any hazards for minimal damage.
Gogoat from B+ to A-: no opinion.
Altaria from B to A- / B+: B+. with very few dragon types in the tier and access to heal bell with good bulk, Altaria offers some unique things for this tier, but I feel that togetic outranks it for the same role on a team.
Avalugg from B to A- / B+: A-. Incredibly bulky defensively, it can tank any physical attack, even supereffective ones. Access to rapid spin makes it the most reliable spinner in the tier. weakness to sr hurts him, but he definitely competes with Tangela for an unbreakable physical wall. Tangela offers knock off, sleep powder, and leech seed whereas Avalugg offers rapid spin, recover, and roar.
Simipour from B to B+: Agree, simipour can be scary in the right team. It's the only fast hydro pump user in the tier.
Electrode from B- to B: Agree. Access to soundproof allows it to safely switch into chatot, and its massive speed lets it outspeed pretty much everything in the tier.
Quilladin from C to C+: Never seen this guy. no opinion.
Simisage from D to C+: Rarely seen simisage do much. why use simisage over serperior?
Solrock from C- to C+: Haven't seen this poke yet, no opinion.
Tropius from C- to C+: Disagree. Potentially good but there are a lot of ice types in the tier that make him really sketchy.
Wailord from C- to C+: Agree, water spout can wreck teams that aren't prepared for it, especially with sticky web support.
Walrein from C- to C+: No opinion. I can see this guy doing well but there are a lot of other ice types people could use instead of him.
Dusclops from D+ to C: Agree, tanky af, has will o wisp, and spinblocks.
Vibrava from Unlisted to C: Agree. Like the argument to move altaria up, being dragon type is pretty unique for the tier, and its got ok defensive stats after eviolite. It could find its way into some teams.
Dusknoir from D- to D+: Sure why not, he's viable but I'd rather use dusclops.
Maractus from D- to D+: No opinion.
Regigigas from E to D: I can see regigigas doing ok, even if he doesn't get off his slow start he can still force a lot of switches and paralyze a lot of guys.
Cacnea from unlisted to D-: no opinion.
Corsola from D to E: no opinion.
Dunsparce from D+ to E: no opinion.
Illumise from C- to E: Agree. Like what everyone else says, volbeat is generally better.
Minun/Plusle from D- to E: Agree. why even consider these when raichu is in the tier?
Noctowl from D to E: Agree, noctowl is like a worse mantine.
Phione from D to E: Agree, seems pretty useless.
Pidgeot from C to E: Agree, just an inferior version of all the other birds in the tier.
Stantler from D+ to E: What does stantler do? Agree.
Shedinja from D+ to E: Super useless since removing entry hazards is so hard in this tier. Agree.
Unfezant from D+ to E: Again, just another inferior version of the other birds in the tier.
Clefairy from D+ to unlisted: Agreed. Tried it, just kind of bad when there's togetic around to use instead.
Pikachu from D- to unlisted: Agree, why use pikachu?

Last edited:
Throh from A- to A Definately agree on this guy moving up higher. Although poliwrath outclasses it on stall teams, throh itself is more then viable in a defensive or balanced team. If you are using hazardstacking or strats like those then throh is your man. Circle throwing teams around and widdling down so you can clean up with another mon. Resists to circle throw are often weak to rocks, so it really has a very limited number of switchins to soak up the hit and get shuffled out.
Gogoat from B+ to A- I feel that gogoat still falls under B rank. It definately has great positive traits, but thats why it's B+ and not just B after all.
Altaria from B to A- / B+ Altaria in the PU metagame holds his own very well, definately agree with it being B+. But it has to be paired up well for it to work, so A- is a rank too high for it imo. Its a pretty versatile mon, with a big movepool, but really most use it for it's defensive capabilities. Compared to togetic (also A-) it's the less superior of the two, so no A-, yes B+.
Avalugg from B to A- / B+ Physical bulk is unreal here, but unlike other stallmons with this much bulk, avalugg isn't a sitting duck, so no set up fodder ;) PU really doesn't have many spinners so just that niche alone makes it pretty viable :p. I agree on it moving to B+, but it's not worth the A rank since it requires the support of teammember too much.
Simipour from B to B+ Definately agree with this suggestion, a very speedy and versatile mon. Threathening sp att set with good coverage and access to NP make it a big threat. Also mixed sets do really well facing defensive or stall teams which is to me pretty big. Stall is used a good amount in the higher tier which gives simipour a great niche in PU.
252 SpA Life Orb Simipour Grass Knot (80 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Poliwrath: 205-242 (53.3 - 63%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Poliwrath is a common switch in since set up or choiced sets for simi are somewhat common, but you can nicely 2hko this big defensive wall.
Electrode from B- to B It's pretty speedy and all, has some nice niches with speedy taunts, volt switches or w/e but to be honest, I am surprised that electrode made it to B in the first place. So I'd have to disagree on this one.
Quilladin from C to C+ A lesser used wall or spikestacker, but for sure worth of being C+ as it does it's job really well.
Simisage from D to C+ big move imo, I can see it being C-, but C+ is a tad too high. Don't have much experience myself with this mon, but it lacks a strong attack outside of leaf storm, which leaves your team open to set up:/
Solrock from C- to C+ BP set is good enough to be C+, but other then that it really doesnt have anything going on for it.
Tropius from C- to C+ Worthy of being C+, it walls a good portion of the tier and is by no means a set up fodder (unless sub set up) with Leech seed. Coverage with air slash usually make you able to get the leech seed off unless there is a sap sipper mon around. After using it myself I'd even consider it moving even better then C+, but I can see why some people find that maybe a bit over the top :P
Wailord from C- to C+ As a water type it gets outclassed defensively by many other mons in the tier, offensively it only has water spout that makes it somewhat stand out. I'll just let others decide this one as I don't know if just that niche should make it C+ instead of C or C-.
Walrein from C- to C+ Another mon that actually walls a good portion of the tier. Without recovery outside of rest it won't make it further then C rank. Agree on C+
Dusclops from D+ to C How was this mon D+ in the first place? Duclops walls so many mons with its outstanding bulk. Wisp/curse/pain split idk how creative ppl are, but it can do quite a few things to fuck over your opponent. I'd nominate it for B- tbh, so that means that I agree on this suggestion aswell I guess.
Vibrava from Unlisted to C C-rank is a tad too high after playing with it myself. But D+ is a great spot for it, definately has some nice niches being a defogger not weak to rocks. Also slow uturns help out alot! Many immunities and resitances make it a good mon thats worth of D+. Since it's bulk with eviolite is good, but not outstanding I feel that C is too high, but maybe C- since I can see it fitting the description of a C rank :)
Dusknoir from D- to D+ Still low imo, but have to agree on it moving up.
Maractus from D- to D+ No opinion
Regigigas from E to D Agree, its bulk makes it pretty alright, with twave it also negates its ability somewhat.
Cacnea from unlisted to D- Disagree. It's outclassed by almost everything in the tier. Not many dark types around, but mightyena still outclasses it and so does murkrow (offensive) really.
Corsola from D to E No opinion
Dunsparce from D+ to E Dunsparce is actually quite viable with the right support, I feel that it can stay D+
Illumise from C- to E Nah man, illumise performs prankster shenanigans way too well to drop from C-. Getting outclassed by volbeat doesn't mean it should drop to the depths of PU imo.
Minun from D- to E Agreed, doesn't have anything special going on for it and gets outclassed by many electric types, for example raichu.
Noctowl from D to E Noctowl has got a good amount of special bulk 100/96, I feel that D fits it better then E.
Phione from D to E No opinion
Pidgeot from C to E I don't see a C rank fitting either, but a D rank will do fine for it. 101 speed isn't bad for and it can pull of some strong attacks when packing a choice item or life orb. It gets outclassed by other flying/normal types, but as an offensive defogger is it's alright.
Plusle from D- to E See minun reasoning.
Stantler from D+ to E No opinion
Shedinja from D+ to E Shedinja is a difficult mon to use, but it has got a great niche which shouldn't make it E imo. It can't get any higher either since it needs waaay too much support for it to work.
Unfezant from D+ to E No opinion
Clefairy from D+ to unlisted I counter suggest actually. Clefairy definately has her niches that make her viable for a C- rank imo. A cleric set works alright, although it perishes to really strong attacks. Anything less powerful and clefairy laughs it off. A set up set also works really well, shown by its sister in OU. Although it could use the leftovers recovery :P
Pikachu from D- to unlisted No opinion

~Call me 911

Last edited:
Rampardos from B to A/A+
it's atk is so high that I nicknamed one OP ATK. it 2HKOes 100hp 156def Avalugg WITH NO STEALTH ROCK! I'm surprised no one said anything about Rampardos. nothing else can OHKO/2HKO that avalugg

Last edited:

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Rampardos from B to A/A+
it's atk is so high that I nicknamed one OP ATK. it 2HKOes 100hp 156def Avalugg WITH NO STEALTH ROCK! I'm surprised no one said anything about Rampardos.
Lol you're missing some of the biggest downsides Rampardos has always had, namely its terribad speed combined with terribad defenses. It doesn't provide any defensive benefit to a team despite being a Rock-type (which are supposed to effectively fend off Normal- and Flying-types). Its movepool, including Sheer Force boosted special attacks, is very useful against slower Pokemon, but it is still very slow and has very limited use against faster teams. Plus it's not like Rampardos is the only physical attacker in the tier that beats Avalugg.

I can see it moving to a- because it is a really good suicide lead and is very effective at setting up rocks, it also has access to the coveted endeavor which we all know is a good move.

Yeah, Rampardos needs a Scarf to hope to outspeed most things, but even then, it's slow as shit. B or B+ fits it fine.

Electrode for B.

Thanks to Electrode's massive speed stat, it can easily run a Modest nature, which allows it to outdamage both Zebstrika (specially,) and Raichu. Electrode's ability to wall non-HP Ground Chatot with ease also justifies its use on teams looking to have a consistent counter to Chatot.

Altaria for B+.

Altaria's ease in switching in against a large array of threats, as well as functioning as a good status absorber allows it to constantly pressure the opponent. Altaria works very reliably too, so I really think a raise from B to B+ is necessary.

I completely agree with all the other changes.

Last edited:
Lol you're missing some of the biggest downsides Rampardos has always had, namely its terribad speed combined with terribad defenses. It doesn't provide any defensive benefit to a team despite being a Rock-type (which are supposed to effectively fend off Normal- and Flying-types). Its movepool, including Sheer Force boosted special attacks, is very useful against slower Pokemon, but it is still very slow and has very limited use against faster teams. Plus it's not like Rampardos is the only physical attacker in the tier that beats Avalugg.
While I have not yet tested Rampardos, I can see it being a powerhouse due to it's sheer force. I would personally go with the sheer force and life orb combo as I don't see banded mold breaker being of that much use. While I agree that his defenses are like wet paper towels, his HP is ok so he could take some hits fully invested. The main thing about rampardos is that he is very scary to switch into. He gets a clean switch in, and the opponent will have to give up a pokemon, or most of its HP if it can't OHKO him.

Here's a set I thought of (I don't know if it's compatable or not with sheer force as I haven't tested it):

"Wreck-it Rampardos"
Ramparos @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 Def
-Rock Slide
-Bulldoze (actually a bit stronger than EQ after sheer force)
-Crunch
-Fire Punch/Ice Punch

While I have not yet tested Rampardos, I can see it being a powerhouse due to it's sheer force. I would personally go with the sheer force and life orb combo as I don't see banded mold breaker being of that much use. While I agree that his defenses are like wet paper towels, his HP is ok so he could take some hits fully invested. The main thing about rampardos is that he is very scary to switch into. He gets a clean switch in, and the opponent will have to give up a pokemon, or most of its HP if it can't OHKO him.

Here's a set I thought of (I don't know if it's compatable or not with sheer force as I haven't tested it):

"Wreck-it Rampardos"
Ramparos @ Life Orb
252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 Def
-Rock Slide
-Bulldoze (actually a bit stronger than EQ after sheer force)
-Crunch
-Fire Punch/Ice Punch
First off, bulldoze is not stronger than EQ. 60*1.3 from sheer force = 78 power.
The problem with rampardos is he has to compete with tauros for late game sweeps/breaking physical walls, because tauros has great speed, great attack, access to sheer force, and similar movepool.
However, I think rampardos could fill the niche of a brute force wallbreaker with this setup:

Rampardos @ Life Orb
EVs: 224 Atk / 100 SpA / 184 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Rock Slide
- Crunch
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake

Why invest in speed? this allows Rampardos to outspeed anything uninvested up to base 80 speed. this includes arbok, garbador, and altaria.
The nature and special attack results in this:

100 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Rampardos Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Tangela: 294-346 (88 - 103.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
vs
4 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Tauros Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Tangela: 179-213 (53.5 - 63.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

and

100 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Rampardos Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Avalugg: 398-471 (101 - 119.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
vs
4 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Tauros Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Avalugg: 244-289 (61.9 - 73.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

If you aren't gonna scarf rampardos, this seems like a great wallbreaker setup, and superior at killing tangela and avalugg than tauros.
What do you guys think?

Actually it is. 60 *1.3 (sheer force) * 1.3 (life orb) = 101.4

Boom.

But anyways, yeah, like I said I've never used Rampardos so your set works too as it can obliterate tangela and defensive Avalugg.
Earthquake gets the 1.3x from life orb too so it's not.

Edit: Ninja'd

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So I'm fairly new to the forums and on a mobile device, so sorry if I screw up some formatting rule for suggesting changes. However, I thing that Linoone should be moved from B to C rank at least. It sets up on very few things in the tier as even walls like Avalugg and Lickilicky do significant damage to it. Stall/semi-stall is probably the most common playstyle in PU with practically every team running something like Gourgeist, Avalugg, or Musharna to take a hit from it and KO it back. It'll rarely sweep a team on its own, which is basically its only niche, and if you want something to weaken a wall and die, there are far better mons like flareon, sneasel, and bouffalant to be considering.

I think B fits Linoone pretty well. Despite it's frailty, absolutely pitiful offensive stats pre-BD, and difficulty setting up... BD Extremespeed is a real thing. I've lost to Linoone more than once in PU so far. If you can't take a +6 ES, which not a whole lot of things can, you just lose to it sometimes.

That being said, I do think it's got enough weaknesses to stay in the mid-lower B tiers. You always must be wary of it setting up, but if it can't setup on you it's fairly useless.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think B fits Linoone pretty well. Despite it's frailty, absolutely pitiful offensive stats pre-BD, and difficulty setting up... BD Extremespeed is a real thing. I've lost to Linoone more than once in PU so far. If you can't take a +6 ES, which not a whole lot of things can, you just lose to it sometimes.

That being said, I do think it's got enough weaknesses to stay in the mid-lower B tiers. You always must be wary of it setting up, but if it can't setup on you it's fairly useless.
The problem is, it can barely set up on you without memento support or something similar. For example,
8 Atk Avalugg Avalanche vs. 160 HP / 0 Def Linoone: 222-262 (65.8 - 77.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Even after it sets up, too many things like Musharna, Gourgeist, and Avalugg that are so commonly used can take the hit. It's difficult to set up, and even then can rarely be assured of a sweep. I know you can try to get rid of checks/counters, but that requires a lot of team support to take mons like musharna down, which is why it should probably be C rank.

I'll grant you Avalugg, but...

+6 252+ Atk Linoone Shadow Claw vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Musharna: 356-420 (81.6 - 96.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+6 252+ Atk Linoone Shadow Claw vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gourgeist-Super: 280-330 (74.8 - 88.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

That's max Def investment Geist and Mushy. Neither can switch in.

I'm not advocating Linoone for A Rank, but I do think it easily deserves B or B-. It's scurry with proper support.

termi

bike is short for bichael
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
I'll grant you Avalugg, but...

+6 252+ Atk Linoone Shadow Claw vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Musharna: 356-420 (81.6 - 96.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+6 252+ Atk Linoone Shadow Claw vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gourgeist-Super: 280-330 (74.8 - 88.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

That's max Def investment Geist and Mushy. Neither can switch in.

I'm not advocating Linoone for A Rank, but I do think it easily deserves B or B-. It's scurry with proper support.
That's unrealistic though: usually one would switch these mons in immediately when Linoone comes out unless the mon currently in can do a lot of damage to Linoone. In the first case Mush/Geist would switch in on the Belly Drum and then they take the Shadow Claw and can retaliate because it doesn't OHKO. In the second case one would just keep the thing that's in around to damage Linoone, then that thing dies, then Mush/Geist switch in after the kill and are able to survive a hit and strike back, so basically if you aren't fucking stupid these mons do beat Linoone. I can't really say much about Linoone for I haven't used it yet myself and haven't faced it enough to judge, but saying these mons "can't switch in" is ridiculous considering Linoone will always have to set up to beat them and they can easily switch in on the BD.

Also don't use the word scurry for my health's sake and your credibility's sake.

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
That's unrealistic though: usually one would switch these mons in immediately when Linoone comes out unless the mon currently in can do a lot of damage to Linoone. In the first case Mush/Geist would switch in on the Belly Drum and then they take the Shadow Claw and can retaliate because it doesn't OHKO. In the second case one would just keep the thing that's in around to damage Linoone, then that thing dies, then Mush/Geist switch in after the kill and are able to survive a hit and strike back, so basically if you aren't fucking stupid these mons do beat Linoone. I can't really say much about Linoone for I haven't used it yet myself and haven't faced it enough to judge, but saying these mons "can't switch in" is ridiculous considering Linoone will always have to set up to beat them and they can easily switch in on the BD.

Also don't use the word scurry for my health's sake and your credibility's sake.
I have no opinion on Linoone's placement but I'd like to say that countering Linoone is a lot harder than the scenario described here. Firstly Musharna doesn't have a very good way of harming Linoone behind screens, a common support form for Linoone, unless it runs the less common Thunder Wave. Secondly, even if you don't count that, all it takes is for a bit of prior damage on these Pokemon to be able to finish them off. As you can see 2 switches into SR + 1 layer of Spikes is enough to guarantee the KO on Musharna even after Leftovers, which isn't very difficult to achieve given how many things Musharna can check in a game. Similarly with Gourgeist, a little bit of prior damage means that it cannot switch into SR and live a hit, and it is especially so because Gourgeist has no reliable recovery.

Most good players would weaken Musharna and Gourgeist before setting up with Linoone. Of course, you could take this as a case where team support is required, but honestly 12% damage + some entry hazards isn't very difficult to achieve against Pokemon that are meant to check multiple things, and a well-built team should be able to achieve this. I'm not strongly supporting the case to bump Linoone up but I'm just saying that you shouldn't underestimate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)