The Penguin King's Conquering [OU]

The Penguin King's Conquering

Intro
Well when I created this team, it surprisingly was not inspired by someone using Empoleon, even though they seem to be a little more popular these days. One day, I just decided that I wanted to create a team that revolved around Empoleon as the late game sweeper. Not too exciting, but I guess it will suffice. This will be explained more thoroughly in the team building process, but I decided on taking the route of toxic spike support to make Empoleon sweep easier. From there it grew into something more; a kind of annoy/stall/balanced team. I believe I’ve been seeing a rise in stall and/or spiking teams, perhaps balanced stall will be the new ‘thing’. Anyway, I really wanted to make this team so that when Empoleon comes in, he does not have to do much except for take control and clean up what's left. After all, you never send the king in first to do the dirty work.

Team Building Process

Since my initial plan was to have a late game Empoleon sweep, I started out with the most obvious option, my favorite flightless bird: Empoleon. In order to make the late game sweep more feasible, I could have gone a possible two ways from here. I could focus the team on powerful special sweepers to try to weaken the opposing team’s special walls or I could go with Toxic Spikes support. I decided on the latter because I prefer a more safe playing style rather than the quick paced, make or break decision style of full out offense. Then came the second fork in the road in which I had to choose between a stall oriented team (with Forretress / Tentacruel as my Toxic Spikes support), or a balanced team (with Roserade as my Toxic Spikes support).

I chose Roserade for my Toxic Spikes support mostly because I had just finished working on a stall team and I wanted to create this team in a balanced manner. Roserade makes a better lead than forrey and tentacruel as well.

Since I was planning on Empoleon being the late game sweeper, I tried to complete the rest of the team without keeping him in mind because I found myself trying to think too much about what would go well with Roserade and Empoleon instead of focusing solely on Roserade. Heatran and many other fire types eat Roserade for breakfast, so I needed a way to deal with this problem. This is where Vaporeon fits into the team.

Once I put Vaporeon on the team, I was instantly reminded of Venom’s Vaporeon/Zapdos/Tyranitar combo which I had used on one of my previous teams with great success and almost simultaneously Rotom-A and Ttar were put on the team. These two help me greatly by countering two of what seems to be the most common switch ins to Vaporeon: Gyarados and Celebi. I chose Rotom over Zapdos because it prevents my Tspikes from being blown away which are crucial to the plan.

So now I have almost every slot filled and as you may have noticed, there is a gaping Tyranitar, Lucario, Heracross, etc. weakness…It’s funny because when I was first creating this team, I was against using Gliscor (even though Empoleon + Gliscor is a great combination) because I wouldn’t be switching Gliscor and Empoleon out continually. However, somehow Gliscor worked his way onto the team.

In Depth

Rosa (Roserade) (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 6 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sleep Powder
- Toxic Spikes
- Grass Knot
---
The frontman – er, frontwoman Rosa. Roserade is probably the most important team player because without Toxic Spikes, things like Blissey, Celebi, Vaporeon, Snorlax and the like would put Empoelon’s late game sweep to an immediate halt. It also helps when one of the opponent’s team members is completely immobilized by sleep. Roserade makes a great lead because she has an easy time dealing with a lot of other leads by simply putting them to sleep and proceeding to set up at least one layer of Tspikes. The only other leads that could possibly mess her up would be a fast taunter, another sleeper lead, which seem to be a lot less popular since the Pt. release, or perhaps some other type of status lead (which doesn't effect her as much because of Natural Cure). At first, I thought about putting a scarf on her for guaranteed sleep and a nice revenge killer, but I’d rather have tspikes set up right from the start of the match instead. There has definetely been a rise in Roserade as a lead lately, and for a good reason. Since the metagame is so focused on bulky SR leads and less on fast, suicide leads right now, this is a perfect time for Rosa to arrive on the scene. She serves as a psuedo spy for the team by setting up initial hazards on the opposing side and sleeping the other side’s members, thus making the rest of the take over that much easier. The opponent could be completely unaware of how this little spring flower could be the downfall of their team.

Vaporeon (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 188 HP/252 Def/68 Spd
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Ice Beam
- Protect
- Surf
- Wish
---
Vaporeon serves as the medic for the team. It provides wish support for the rest of the team members and helps me deal with Heatran and friends. Like I had mentioned earlier, the combination of Vaporeon-Rotom-Tyranitar works well and assists in keeping all the team members connected. Wish really comes in handy because I often find myself switching from Vaporeon to Rotom or Tyranitar who, otherwise, have no other method of recovery.

Overdrive (Rotom-h) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Overheat
- Trick
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
---
When conquering a kingdom, it always good to have someone on the inside, and that’s exactly what this pesky ghost is. When I first thought of Rotom-A for this team, I was thinking it would be the standard bulky set or the subcharge set that I keep seeing in so many teams, but I opted for choice scarf for several reasons. Most importantly with Choice Rotom I can 'trick' the Choice Scarf onto the opponent’s wall(s), therefore making Empoleon’s entrance much easier. I also have a lack of speed or revenge killer on the team without it and that’s always helpful for when something goes wrong and the opponent tries to gain the upper hand. As I use this team more and more, I find that other Rotoms can be a pain which is why I chose Shadow Ball over anything else. Sometimes I worry about the need for bulk to counter Scizor (or other steels) and Gyarados, but it’s usually fine as I have Gliscor who can deal with Scizor and other steels temporarily and I outspeed Gyara regardless of whether they have a DD in or not. Bonus points for those who caught the subtle, yet corny pun.

Tyranitar (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP/40 Atk/216 SDef
Careful nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
---
Tyranitar: Empoleon’s main assassin. Tyranitar is extremely helpful to Empoleon because it can trap and kill some of Empoleon’s biggest counters. Blissey instantly comes to mind, as does Celebi. Tyranitar is undeniably the powerhouse of this team; had he not been put on, I would have a significant lack of power. He completes my somewhat defensive combination of Vaproeon-Rotom-Ttar and with the 252 HP / 40 Atk / 216 SpDef EV spread, I no longer have an issue with Zapdos, Latias, Gengar, Rotom (non-WoW versions), etc. One of Tyranitar’s many distinguished attributes is that it can start a sandstorm, and therefore sets up the proper weather conditions for the King’s arrival. So far, everything seems to be working in his favor…

Gliscor (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 HP/40 Def/216 Spd
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Aerial Ace
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
---
Gliscor provides the extra defense and support for the team. Stealth Rock helps me wear down things that are immune to tpikes, such as levitators and flyers. As I mentioned earlier, Gliscor fills the spot for my Heracross, Tyranitar, Lucario, Breloom, Machamp, etc. weakness. Gliscor works very well with bulky waters like Vaporeon, so wish passing is a plus for the relationship, plus I get to get SR up early if it goes in that order (Roserade->Vaporeon->Gliscor). The evasion boost from Tyranitar’s sandstorm isn’t too shabby either.

DaKing (Empoleon) (M) @ Petaya Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 12 HP/12 Def/232 Spd/252 SAtk
- Substitute
- Surf
- Agility
- Ice Beam
---
Finally, the moment has come for the king to arrive. So far, the following has happened before his entrance (if all went according to plan, in which most cases it does): Toxic Spikes is set up, one the of the opponent’s Pokemon is sleeping, one of the opponent’s walls has a choice item, Blissey / Celebi / Latias have fainted or have dangerously low health due to Tyranitar, there’s a sandstorm going on, stealth rock is set up, and the opponent has probably missed Glicor at least once with a crucial attack. Things seem to be looking up for Empoleon. The only question now is when to make the move. When I initially saw Empoleon’s moveset, I thought it would be very difficult to try to get an agility in on a free turn even though it has so many resistances. However, I am finding it much easier than I thought, probably because of all I have set up prior to his entrance. I must say, Empoleon is awfully underrated. It’s the best late game special sweeper I have ever used, and possibly the best late game sweeper that I have ever used period. Don’t underestimate this polar bird.

Conclusion / Threat List

So now this team has infiltrated the lands and King Empoleon has conquered yet another kingdom (to be honest, I just got the Empoleon historical reference pun as I’m writing this). I've had tremendous success with this team, and I may decide to do a threat list later, but for now I’ll just say a little about some problems I seem to have with the team. Stall teams that involve spikes seem to trip this team up a little. Since I have no RS support, my wish support is affected by spikes, plus there’s not a huge amount of power backing the team, it tends to be a bit of a dilemma. I have no immediate answer to Restalk Suicune (except trying to stall it out with Vaporeon or tricking it with Rotom. Maybe I should go with HP [Electric] instead?) or bulky grounds (esp. Curse Swampert). Thankfully I haven’t run into those either of those yet, so I’ll see how it goes if I ever do.

Since your team is built around an Empoleon sweep, and since you seem to be having a bunch of trouble with some random sweepers, let me suggest this:
Run dual dragons, one preferably being Latias. Why?
Here is a scenario. You bring in Latias. Don't bother firing off a Draco Meteor, use trick. Let's say Blissey comes in. Big Empoleon wall cracks. Let's say TTar comes in. Either TTar is choice scarfed instead of banded, meaning he does less damage, or he was something like a DDTar or Boah and now is choiced. Same thing with Scizor. What does this mean? Either way, the other person's best counter to Latias is locked into a move that preferably screws over Latias. This is good. Why? Look at what you are going to use against Latias: Pursuit, Bullet Punch, Ice Shard, all resisted by Empoleon. With Latias' sacrifice, Empoleon is now that much more set to sweep, because he can come in on those choice locked moves. Salamence or Flygon can similarily lure in Scizor with Bullet Punch or Ice Sharders. Salamence in particular is a big threat and can counter threats, depending on what moves you are running.
Now, what to replace? 1. Probably Rotom. This TrickRotom scares many Empoleon counters, chiefly Blissey and bulky waters, so rest assured they will be fresh to go when its time to counter Empoleon. 2. Maybe Vaporeon or Gliscor?

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
heh, i love this team and this format. i've been looking for some good teams to rate lately, and this one is perfect! empoleon is such a good pokemon, it really deserves more love than it gets right now. your team does a pretty good job of eliminating the things that stop him from rampaging from the opposing team. i do, however, see some weaknesses that could be bothersome. first is obviously the lack of anything to absorb dragon type attacks. mixmence, scarfgon, latias, etc can just come in as they please and fire off stab outrage / draco meteors. empoleon shouldnt be taking them, and tyranitar is your only defense against such attacks. a steel type would fit in here nicely, the question is-which one? i think a bulky heatran would fit in very nicely here. heatran is usually seen as an offensive pokemon, but his burn support is actually amazing in my experiences. he lures out stuff like gyarados and salamence and nails them with a will o wisp, essentially removing them from the match. logar is managing only 70% with lo focus bomb, and he packs quite a punch with overheat off of 330 attack. imo putting it over gliscor would be a good decision, as gliscor doesnt contribute much, and tran can set up sr and do some physical walling with wow. roar is just icing on the cake.

Heatran (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP/16 SAtk/240 SDef
- Will-o-wisp
- Roar
- Stealth Rock
- Overheat
--

gl hope i helped!

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Problems:

Dragons

How to fix:

Salamence and Dragonite and Flygon to a lesser extent are pretty good threats to the team because Gliscor cant take some hits currently, Vaporeon can't take +1 Outrage with Life Orb, and you dont want it taking the hits because with Vaporeon gone, Infernape will be trouble. The team itself is great and has a great strategy around Empoleon. What ya need to do is replace Gliscor for Bronzong and let me explain why:

Bronzong
@ Leftovers
Sassy Nature (SpD+ / Spe-)
252 HP / 86 Atk / 80 Def / 92 SpD
IV: 0

- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake
- Explosion

Bronzong would fit the team very nicely because its one of the best checks to Salamence and Latias thanks to its cool ability and high defense on both sides. Basically you still have SR in replacement for Gliscor, Earthquake to foil with common switch-ins like Heatran and Explosion is a great finishing move when your health is low. The added immunity to Ground can also help out in the long run. Gyro Ball will 2HKO Latias while Salamence dies from Gyro Ball if it switches in on SR + takes recoil damage. Basically, you want to keep your key defensive core around Rotom / Vapororeon and you don't want them taking all the hits and Bronzong is a better check than Gliscor is. Steel-typing helps in this current metagame, and this guy fits the team nicely.

As for other options, I'd try out 252 hp / 252 Spe Rotom at a timid nature to switch in on Lucario and Gyarados without hesitating on a predicted Crunch or Waterfall. Rotom needs to stay alive because with him gone, your team is doomed to Lucario. You need it to stay alive, the EVs might suit the team. Overall gl.

Wow, I really like all of these suggestions even though they're all different. I'm a little hesitant about the first one, but overall they seem like they can work extremely well without putting the team at risk. It's going to be difficult deciding which ones to test first. Even though they are all different, the one thing that they seem to have in common is the replacement of Gliscor, so I'll definitely look more into that.

Since your team is built around an Empoleon sweep, and since you seem to be having a bunch of trouble with some random sweepers, let me suggest this:
I'm not sure what you mean by "random sweepers". Were there some that you specifically had in mind?

Run dual dragons, one preferably being Latias. Why?
Here is a scenario. You bring in Latias. Don't bother firing off a Draco Meteor, use trick. Let's say Blissey comes in. Big Empoleon wall cracks. Let's say TTar comes in. Either TTar is choice scarfed instead of banded, meaning he does less damage, or he was something like a DDTar or Boah and now is choiced. Same thing with Scizor. What does this mean? Either way, the other person's best counter to Latias is locked into a move that preferably screws over Latias. This is good. Why? Look at what you are going to use against Latias: Pursuit, Bullet Punch, Ice Shard, all resisted by Empoleon. With Latias' sacrifice, Empoleon is now that much more set to sweep, because he can come in on those choice locked moves. Salamence or Flygon can similarily lure in Scizor with Bullet Punch or Ice Sharders. Salamence in particular is a big threat and can counter threats, depending on what moves you are running.
Now, what to replace? 1. Probably Rotom. This TrickRotom scares many Empoleon counters, chiefly Blissey and bulky waters, so rest assured they will be fresh to go when its time to counter Empoleon. 2. Maybe Vaporeon or Gliscor?
Actually that's what I do now with Rotom-h. A lot of Blisseys, Swamperts, and other tanks/walls tend to switch in to Rotom too and that's when I trick. I like the extra power that I get from dual dragons, and I still get good coverage from Lucario, Infernape, etc. with those choices, but I know some others have mentioned that I have a problem with dragons, so I would think that the disadvantages outweigh the advantages in that situation. Plus, I would have nothing to absorb ice attacks if I were to replace Vaporeon or nothing to stop Tyranitar if I replaced Gliscor. But hey, when I test it, it might just not look appealing to me on paper and work well in reality, I'll never know until I try it I suppose.

Heatran (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP/16 SAtk/240 SDef
- Will-o-wisp
- Roar
- Stealth Rock
- Overheat
--

gl hope i helped!
I completely agree with your statement about the dragon weakness and I really think this set could help clear up that problem. The only reservation I have is how well it does countering Ttar. That's one of the most important roles that Glscor fills and only with good prediction will I be able to beat it with this Heatran set. Maybe I'll try shuca berry just in case.

@Calum: Those EV suggestions are great. It's actually just what I was looking for since they aren't in the analyses (I wanted a little more bulk on Rotom and little more power for Tyranitar). In fact, I'll go ahead and replace them now. I get the idea behind for Celebi, but again, I have even more problems with Tyranitar.

@franky: That Bronzong seems like the perfect replacement for Gliscor. It's a check for dragons, can provide SR support, has the possibility of breaking stall with explosion, and can still do decently with Tyranitar.
---
Thanks for the suggestions! Anymore?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)