the new Israeli-Palestinian peace process

Misty

oh
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Taking all bets on how long it takes to fail this time.

On a more serious note, does anyone expect anything useful out of this? The simple act of marginalizing Hamas has already made any results dubious. Hard-liners on both sides are going to try their hardest to sabotage any compromises. Bush, Olmert, and Abbas are all fighting poor domestic approval ratings. Skepticism runs high among all the Arab nations (not to mention everyone else). The Middle East is in turmoil thanks to the US.

On the other hand, there is one hope - that people are tired after 60 years of fighting. The Arab League already has offered Israel an opportunity for peace (based on Israel's willingness to return to the pre-1967 borders). I think people on both sides are sick of being killed and would relish an opportunity to see a peace agreement.

Ultimately, in order for this to succeed, a lot of this is going to rest on Israel, who is going to be charged with making a majority of the concessions. Unfortunately, after the fiascoes created by the withdrawal from Gaza and most of the West Bank that gave rise to Hamas and missile attacks, the hard-liners are not interested in seeing more avenues for attacks open up. The success, then, depends upon the rest of the world, who must be willing to provide insurance to Israel if more militants spring up.

I think the best way for this to work is for other powers to provide assistance. Thanks to Bush, the Arab world has no real faith in the United States to act as a neutral assistant - I'd bet anything they are sure (and probably right) that, given a sudden problem, the US sides with Israel. If powers like the European Union, Russia, and China promised to help broker this, it would likely give the Arab world a bit more faith that their needs will be recognized.

Really? Are you seriously blaming Bush for the Arab nations not trusting the United States? If it weren't for the United States, Israel would have been destroyed forever ago. We are their #1 ally and always have been. The Arab nations know this. It would be idiotic for them to think we would ever be "neutral." Come on...at least be realistic if you want to blame Bush for something.

Taking all bets on how long it takes to fail this time.
This was really what I thought, and not much more. We're studying this very subject for history class right now, and my teacher said this is about the 20th attempt. It's not like things have gotten better since the last time they tried.

It's such a complicated and dumb conflict to kill people over too.

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
It's such a complicated and dumb conflict to kill people over too.
It is a very complicated situation but to say it is a dumb conflict is not understanding the situation at fuck all.

Although recognized as a terrorist movement nearly by every western country, the Hamas IS an elected palestinian government and therefore represent their population, which to this day, still in majority grant them their support.

Basically, all it shows is that palestinian nationalism is strong and as of yet they have no official country to govern so they still can only revendicate territories and recognition. They are way more radical than the Fatah was under Arafat in its recent years but can you blame them, after so many decades of standing still perhaps a more radical movement is what is needed to change things.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)