ORAS OU The Naivety of Darkness (with some mixed feelings)

This team is centered around a combined mixed offensive (thus the naivety) core of two dark Pokémon, Greninja and Mega-Absol, which can outspeed and hit the majority of the metagame for great damage without any setup (now that Greninja gets gunk shot and knock off + play rough are legal on Mega-Absol) and enough backup to stop their weaknesses from wiping them out.

Greninja (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse

Most of the moves are pretty self-explanatory, with Gunk Shot wiping out fairies including Azumarill, Clefable and Sylveon, while Hydro Pump complements Gunk Shot on the special side, taking care of most threads. Ice Beam covers Lati@s, Amoonguss and pretty much every Dragon in existance, while Dark Pulse is especially for Mega-Slowbro, who could otherwise be troublesome for this team. Dark Pulse is the move I'm least certain of, so any replacement is fine too.

Absol (F) @ Absolite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 32 SpA / 224 Spe
Naive Nature
- Knock Off
- Play Rough
- Fire Blast
- Sucker Punch

The combination Knock Off and Play Rough hits everything bar Klefki at least neutrally, with only Fairy-Types neither getting hit by a neutral STAB-Knock-Off nor a super effective Play Rough. Fire Blast whipes Ferrothorn, Skarmory and any Mega-Scizor expecting Knock Off while also dealing reasonable damage to Gliscor and Landorus-Therian. Sucker Punch can revenge-kill boosted stuff like Mega-Mence or Mega-Zard-X while also beating Mega-Metagross with Bullet Punch and hitting Mega-Scizor for good damage. It also allows Absol to endure the turn in which it only has the speed of the normal forme by being priority anyways. The speed-investment allows Mega-Absol to outspeed Thundurus, which can't slow down Mega-Absol with t-wave thanks to Magic Bounce while Knock Off is a guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rocks. While Greninja and Mega-Absol hit many powerful targets with no sort of Setup and are hard to switch into or predict, they definitely need something to switch to or something that switches them in:

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Wish
- Thunder Wave
- Seismic Toss

Not that much to add, too. I was thinking about replacing Wish with Stealth Rocks though, since i already have a Healing Wish User, but Landorus is already good at doing its job. The defensive investment allows me to take Psyshocks better and to paralyse some terrifying sweepers like Mega-Mence even when they have boosts.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

This thing is so much for my team, i can't even imagine playing it without Landorus-T. Its great physical bulk greatly helps with all the fighting-weaknesses while Intimidate is just awesome. Stealth Rocks are always important and U-Turn is awesome because it allows me to use Landorus as a pivot for Greninja and Mega-Absol. EdgeQuake provides offensive coverage and wears down targets without recovery.

Rotom-Wash @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 108 HP / 252 SpA / 148 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Trick

A very confusing set which often causes nasty surprises. The speed-investment lets me outspeed positive natured base 135 and neutral natured base 150 speed-Pokémon and give most of them a painful burn before they can react. Volt Switch is for even more pivoting, allowing me to bring in Greninja or Mega-Absol on the opponents switch-in (or Latias in case of Mega-Venusaur). Trick cripples almost every non-Mega, making them useless for a great part of the fight. Once I gave away my scarf, I can use Rotom as a slow Pivot, getting my two dark Pokémon into the fight even better.

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Healing Wish
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock

I actually prefer Latios over Latias, but for this team the additional bulk given is just too important. Psyshock is used to maim Mega-Venusaur, while Draco Meteor is just insanely powerful. Healing Wish saves my pivots and refills their HP, allowing for additional switching. Defog is just a staple move.

This team basically fights using a rotation of getting in Greninja/Mega-Absol, tearing holes in the opposing team and then retreat them by switching into Chansey or Landorus, soaking up enemy hits and then switching to the appropriate pivot (possibly with a wish still hanging around) and using U-Turn or Volt-Switch to reset the Situation, while keeping Greninja and Mega-Absol free from any possible harm.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This team actually looks quite good, Mega-Absol is almost never used so it's pretty refreshing to see an RMT featuring it, and the synergy between it and Greninja is surprisingly good. However, you might want to give more lines of description to some of your Pokemon : you need a minimum of 3 lines otherwise your RMT might be locked. I have a few comments though :

- Weavile is extremely threatening to your team, outspeeding and OHKOing Absol , Lando-T and Latias, dealing massive damage to Greninja, Weavile and although Rotom. One way to fix this would be running Scarf Keldeo over Scarf Rotom-W. This gives you a solid Weavile check (as well a counter Bisharp, anther big threat to your team), unfortunately, you do lose one of your pivots in the process which is unfortunate, since that gives you fewer safe switches into your frail sweepers. You could also replace Chansey by Clefable, who deals with Mega-Sceptile (a big threats to your team) decently, and provides Wish and TWave support too. This, however, makes you weaker to opposing Greninja, but you do have a good check in Rotom-W so it's not too bad.
- Dragon Dance Mega-Altaria can sweep your team with ease. Landorus-T cannot stop it at all, and although Chansey can paralyze it, it can't switch in since Return 2HKOs it after little prior damage. Clefable is an okay check to it, but in order to deal with it properly it needs to have the Unaware ability. It still can't switch in that well though, so you might want a better answer to it, but I'll get to that later.
- Mega-Gyarados also tears your team apart, using Greninja as setup fodder, and clean sweeping from here. Not even Unaware Clefable can really save you from this becuase of Mold Breaker canceling out Unaware. Ferrothorn or Skarmory may be good additions to your team. Both check Weavile, doesn't fare too badly against Bisharp, deal with non-Fire Blast Altaria and stop MGyara, so they'd support your team quite well in general. They are hard to fit however, once again you could use it over Chansey, but then you lose to HP Fire Sceptile variants. You could replace them with Landorus-T but I highly doubt you want to do that since its ability to slow pivot is invaluable to your team.
- I would consider running Roost on Latias. Mainly because you appear to be very weak to Mega-Venusaur, and Roost lets you counter it much more consistently. But once again, losing Healing Wish gives you fewer opportunities to send your glass cannons in, and Mega-Venusaur is very rare in ORAS so I don't know if it's worth it. Another option would be running Extrasensory on Greninja, but all of your moves seen too important to drop.

Besides these, you don't have too many glaring weaknesses, but these weaknesses are pretty big, so I highly recommend you attempt to fix them. Good luck!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)