VGC The Mystical Powders (Mega Venusaur RMT) (More like a Teambuilding Report but w/e)

Warning! Annoyance and some Pokemon that could be considered gimmicks ahead. If you have any heart disease, anger management issues, or anything that can't withstand Mega Venusaur's bulk, go back from where you came :P

As you may know, Mega Venusaur is a Pokémon that has been left on the shadows due to Salamence and Gardevoir quickly raising in usage. That still didn't stop me from making this team that i was supposed to use at Chile Regionals, but i didn't end up going because my family doesn't support my Pokemon career at all (plus one of my friends gave me a wrong Feebas which was my key for going, so even then, i'd woke up like at 7:00 AM to actually breed Mirror Coat before the tournament and i didn't have the time to actually do it)

Shoutouts to my 3 best VGC pals: DaAwesomeDude1, Serapis and Kyle Ayala for helping me to make my team. Although i'd still have appreciated more that Anthony actually gave me a Feebas with Mirror Coat.

Well, without further ado, let's get onto the team

All people (both singles OU, doubles OU, Battle Spot Singles and VGC players) know how bulky and well paired are Heatran and Venusaur. They still share a little weakness (ground obviously), but they deal with the things that the other can't deal with.

Rotom-W completes a pretty neat FGW core. Patches up ground weakness, deals with Lando-T and can Thunderbolt Talonflame for a solid OHKO.

Landorus-T provided some speed to the team, and synergised well with Rotom-W. Not to mention it creates a pretty nice voltturn core boys, remember that.

Without any clear way of beating Cresselia, i opted for adding Bisharp. Double Steel core is also pretty cool in VGC n_n

Here's where the fun started for me: I had a big fighting issue, but i couldn't replace Bisharp. I looked for a Pokemon that could help out with that, something with decent bulk, and could set up Tailwind and hit hard. Yes, i know what you're thinking: "Skarm, Salamence doesn't do anything like that you n00b quit VGC rn m8". It was a fun addition while it lasted... until i heard these words:

DaAwesomeDude1 said:
DaAwesomeDude1: i'd use latias for that imo. Latias with Haban Berry is viable too.
And because i'm an idiot but a good friend i decided to follow his advice. I didn't regret it until i realised about something i'll tell you later.

Used Latios over Latias for power over bulk, and putted a Focus Sash on it. Nothing too complicated. Tailwind support from Latios was good enough, so i decided to replace Electroweb on my Rotom-W and put Thunderbolt. (yeah, my washing machine had Electroweb all this time until this replacement)
Also, i decided to put on more offensive pressure and made an amazing choice that has worked until now: i replaced Venusaur's Leech Seed with Sleep Powder and started running Modest.
That's the reason for this weird ass title.

Enjoyed the team structure for quite a while (in fact, made a laddering account where i just used this team, it's called Skarmortem if you want to see its ranking). I made it to 1500s on my main account and then good teams started appearing. Big was my surprise, i was weak to Mega Gardevoir! I played around with my mons with stuff like making my own Rotom-W EV spread, replace Substitute on Heatran with Flash Cannon, and modified Venusaur's spread a bit. That decision made a major team change i've never expected, and it did pay off little, but it did good stuff too:

Togekiss' Follow Me support was crucial against opposing Mega Gardevoir's teams, as i could redirect the Psychic away from Venusaur and use Sleep Powder/Sludge Bomb on Gardevoir before it could KO my Venusaur. Although Togekiss' lack of offensive pressure was underwhelming, and i decided to make the worst change i did to this team ever:

Yep boys, Aegislash, Milotic and Thundurus are on the house (actually i'm not sure about if it was Aegislash or Hydreigon, but because i'm not dumb i'm pretty sure i added aegis). Now, what can you see on my team? See anything? Any detail? If you did, congrats. If you didn't, better luck next time! Well, let's stop wasting time and get to it: My team was awfully specially invested, and i lost to a Minimize CM Chansey with a Psych Up Mega Sableye. Don't u say "why didn't you taunt the Chansey when you had chance (see what i did there? lol) to do it, since the answer is pretty obvious: i didn't have a chance. Aromatisse didn't allow me to taunt Chansey.

Well, after that embarrasing loss i went back to Bisharp. I found him not doing enough work, so i modified his spread. Now, that wasn't enough, and when you don't feel comfortable with something on your team, you naturally replace it

After days of thinking about what i'd add to my team to actually keep the synergy, i decided to replace Bisharp with Excadrill and Landorus with Mandibuzz. My team has appreciated this change until this day, and Mandibuzz puts on so much work against a lot of things on the metagame: it's overwhelming.

At this point i was just playing with the Mega Gardevoir issues, and putted Aerodactyl since my team was struggling against Sun Teams. The change didn't last much.

This change was the last one i will most likely make, as i'm currently building this team in-game and it has worked until now recently. The previous change was a complete disaster, and Kyle told me that if i was that scared of Gardevoir, i'd just put a Mega Metagross and that will nullify Gardevoir in all meanings. Well, i did and Ice Punch Mega Metagross beats both of the most common Mega Venusaur checks, Salamence and Gardevoir. On top of that, i replaced Heatran with Entei so i could have a physical fire type attacker that was bulky and could do the same work Heatran did in the past. Arcanine was an option but Entei provides Stone Edge which is crucial against Sun Teams. As i replaced a special attacker for a physical one, i thought it would be a good idea to add Hydreigon (it was at the end of the day) to use the
core that is so well known in VGC (2013, good ol' days).
Regarding Thundurus, i noticed that Tailwind support was more appreciated by my team, and Zapdos provides the Tailwind support that my team needed.

And that's how we have what we have here today! Now, let's get onto the stars of the team:

---->

Venusaur (F) @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 68 Def / 132 Sp.Atk / 52 Sp.Def / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder
- Protect

Venusaur by far the most useful team member that i have. Maybe i do indeed rely on her too much :P
Well, Giga Drain helps Venusaur to keep itself on the battlefield as long time as possible, and deals a really nice amount of damage. Sludge Bomb as secondary STAB is an amazing move: hits a lot of Pokémon that Giga Drain barely hits hard (examples of this are Thundurus, Talonflame, flying types in general) for solid damage and hits Fairy types and opposing Grass types super effectively.
Also, i decided to put on more offensive pressure and made an amazing choice that has worked until now: i replaced Venusaur's Leech Seed with Sleep Powder...
The EV spread allows Mega Venusaur to take a Zen Headbutt from Jolly Mega Metagross and a Brave Bird from Adamant Sky Plate Talonflame 100% of the time, as well as taking a Hyper Voice from neutral nature Mega Salamence 100% of the time. The Special Attack 3HKOs some Sitrus Berry Suicune.

Entei @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 116 HP / 132 Atk / 4 Def / 92 SpD / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Stone Edge
- Protect
- Snarl

Entei took Heatran place as fire type given the better typing for my team. Sacred Fire as STAB, is a really good move with that 50% chance of burning which is amazing on a physical metagame. Stone Edge covers Mega Charizard Y (and X too) and Talonflame which threaten Mega Venusaur and Mega Metagross. Snarl covers Gardevoir and a lot of Special Attackers increasing Entei's bulk and ability to beat water types 1v1 (sorta).
The EVs were created to survive Landorus-T’s Choice Scarf Earthquake and Life Orb Hydreigon’s Draco Meteor. The speed investment was to outspeed Smeargle’s tier (obviously this spread isn't mine. All the Credit goes to Xenoblade Hero).

Milotic (F) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Competitive
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 76 SpA / 20 SpD / 60 Spe
Modest Nature
- Mirror Coat
- Scald
- Icy Wind
- Ice Beam

AV Milotic was added mainly for Gardevoir, as it was already stated. Scald is the main STAB: a decent base power move that has 90% 30% chance of burning the opponent, crucial for a physically oriented metagame. Ice Beam is her coverage option, hitting Grass types, Thundurus, and more importantly, OHKOing Mega Salamence and Landorus-T. Icy Wind is my team secondary speed control option, a decent power wide move that lowers both of the opponent's Pokemon Speed by 1 stage. Mirror Coat retaliate both Giga Drain and Thunderbolt from common Pokémon that milotic can barely hit with his normal attacks like Rotom-W or even opposing Mega Venusaur. The EV spread can take Adamant Max Attack Double Edge from Mega Salamence and gets 4HKOd by standard Thundurus' Thunderbolt. The speed creeps 4 Spe Rotom-W variants.

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch
- Protect

Metagross is an amazing secondary mega option as it beats 2 of the options the opponent will have for Venusaur. Iron Head is a consistent STAB that won't miss and can reward me with flinches. Zen Headbutt.... (is there another psychic STAB for Metagross?). Ice Punch covers Mega Salamence and Landorus-T which are really important to hit.

Hydreigon (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 28 HP / 36 Def / 236 SpA / 4 SpD / 204 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast

Hydreigon creates an amazing core with Metagross, and that's because it's typing synergy is almost perfect both offensively and defensively. Draco Meteor is to hit stuff hard, and Dark Pulse is the dark STAB that hits Aegislash and Cresselia, with another amount of mons that you usually want to beat. Earth Power covers Heatran, and Fire Blast covers the other bunch of Steel Types such as Ferrothorn or Scizor (also, hits Mawile harder than Earth Power).
The EV spread allows it to live Jolly Garchomp's Dragon Claw, and outspeed Adamant Max Speed Scarf Landorus-T.

Zapdos @ Safety Goggles
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 140 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Tailwind
- Roost

Zapdos is a really neat Tailwind user. Thunderbolt as main STAB and HP Ice covers Landorus-T, and more importantly, Mega Salamence. Tailwind because my Pokémon aren't the fastest, and then kinda need it to fair better against some threats. Roost's recovery is also appreciated n_n.

Threats
  1. Kangaskhan: As you may have noticed, i don't have any clear way of OHKOing Kangaskhan. All i can do is wear it down to the point where it's useless.
  2. TR teams: although my team isn't the fastest, it isn't the slowest either. My team's speed tiers left it on a really disadvantageous position against TR Mega Mawile and Mega Gardevoir.
  3. Sun teams: My team can deal with every sun Pokémon individually, but what about paired? Milotic's power under sun isn't the most optimal and both of my Mega Evolutions are weak to fire, not to mention both of them can't do anything to Heatran, one of the most used Pokemon in Sun Archetypes.
Well, hope you enjoyed this LONG RMT, and watch out in the future as i might do another one later.

Venusaur (F) @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 68 Def / 132 SpA / 52 SpD / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder
- Protect

Entei @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 116 HP / 132 Atk / 4 Def / 92 SpD / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Stone Edge
- Protect
- Snarl

Milotic (F) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Competitive
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 76 SpA / 20 SpD / 60 Spe
Modest Nature
- Mirror Coat
- Scald
- Icy Wind
- Ice Beam

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch
- Protect

Hydreigon (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 28 HP / 36 Def / 236 SpA / 4 SpD / 204 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast

Zapdos @ Safety Goggles
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 140 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Tailwind
- Roost

Until next time, see ya later n_n!

Last edited:
Hey! This is just a quick little diddy, or question rather, but how does this little marvel handle Lum Terrakion? This is after just a quick once-over, but it looks like it could prove a bit troublesome when paired with a threat against Venusaur. I don't know though, I'm probably wrong, but on the off chance I'm not I thought it could be worth asking. Wonderful team regardless. Keep being nifty,
-Noah

Hey! This is just a quick little diddy, or question rather, but how does this little marvel handle Lum Terrakion? This is after just a quick once-over, but it looks like it could prove a bit troublesome when paired with a threat against Venusaur. I don't know though, I'm probably wrong, but on the off chance I'm not I thought it could be worth asking. Wonderful team regardless. Keep being nifty,
-Noah
Yeah, usually Milotic doesn't care about what Terrakion got to say, but i've been testing other Steel Type options such as Cobalion and Mega Metagross. When i'm 100% sure i'll modify the team though.

Modified the thread n_n Also, adding importable version pretty soon
Wow-not even Gardevoir makes the threatlist with this thing. An odd exception given to some creative Rain and Trickroom parties, and maybe Mega Blaziken and his shenanigans, and you've managed to cover every major threat and their kitchen's sinks; not to mention it's an incredibly elegant setup. Simply a sexy team through and through. I've got a lot to learn it seems. Thanks for humoring me!
-Noah

hey man, i don't know if you still use this team, but here some suggestions.

Your team strugle agaiinst Charizard Y and is a litlle bit weak to Heatran. Also MegaKhan is a threat and in some extend Gardevoir. I suggest to change Metagross, who is a great pokemon, but i used a team with a grass/fire/water core and venusaur is used on 90% of the battle, meaning that your secondary mega is nearly unused and wasting a team slot. I suggest to put a Wide Guard Aegislash

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
Ablity: Stance Change
EV: 252hp/100SpAtk/156SpDef
Nature: Quiet
-Shadow Ball
-Flash Cannon
-Wide Guard
-King's Shield

Aegislash mitigate Gardevoir weakness (i know modest mega venusaur have a high % of being OHKO by Psychic) and keep a good sinergy with Hydreigon, especially with wide guard to avoid HyperVoice, Rock Slide and Heat Wave spam. This is the clasical EV spread for wide guard with weaknes policy set that is more bulky to swicht in to resisted attacks and tank super effective move like Dark Pulse Hydreigon or Heat Wave Hetran to grab de policy boost. Quiet nature is the best option on normal situations to move the last and tank hits in shiled forme

As your team is using Tailwind, ii suggest to change Choice Scarf for Life Orb on Hydreigon, because you need something to check heatran, with tailwind up, hydreigon can swicht between moves, that willl help you a lot. Kangaskhan is still a threat that you can try to put to sleep or fish for a burn, so, if you decide to rely only on zapdos to beat charizard Y you can change Entei for Arcanine, to put preassure with Will O Wilps and Intimidate on Kangaskahn. Still a personal decision because Entei fits well and the ability to OHKO Charizard Y is important on your team.

Cool team bro, hope i can help !!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)