ORAS OU The Mighty Avalugg Stall ( Peaked #27 - 1909 ELO )

Zokuru

The Stall Lord
is a Tiering Contributor
Avalugg-Stall.png

Hi Smogon, Zokuru's here !
Today, for my first thread, I would like to present you a team I built few month ago and with which I peaked a pretty good Ladder Ranking. The account is a troll team dedicated account, this is why the GXE is bad, but when I saw it was at some high elo, like 1700 I think, or 1750, I started to play seriously, and peak 1909 with this team. Oh, some people said me this team is a known one, but I never saw it, and I found no RMT, so I assume I can say it's mine, as I built it.

avalugg 27.PNG capture 2.PNG

I)
Teambuilding Process
Avalugg.png 250px-302Sableye.png

Avalugg, A Pokemon that possesses 95/184 in HP and Defense respectively, I wanted use this bloody monster in a OU team. So, what's the Avalugg's main weakness ? Stealth Rock and Special Attackers, there's no way Avalugg can come on SR or take any unresisted Special hit. Sableye is able to handle some Special Attackers and can keep my side free of those stupid damage generators known as Entry Hazards.
Avalugg.png 250px-302Sableye.png nursechansey.gif

I needed something could take any special hit, especially the strongest wallbreakers : Kyube / Zard Y / Gardevoir without Taunt etc. The one-button " skill " offense things. Futhermore, Chansey can setup some rocks, what is always a good option. It also provide Heal Bell and a nice defensive pivot for the team.
Avalugg.png 250px-302Sableye.png nursechansey.gif quagsire_by_alcor_etc-da335k9.png

At this step the team was really weak to any sort of setup sweepers, like Zard X, Bisharp, and almost anything. Quagsire is a bit a jack of all trade in stall, as it can spread status, put an emergency Toxic and wall a great part of the meta, but the thing it masters in is that you can't break it on the physical side unless you're choice banded.
Avalugg.png 250px-302Sableye.png nursechansey.gif quagsire_by_alcor_etc-da335k9.png 36-Clefable.png

Yeah, double unaware, why ? Just because at this point Serperior 4/0 the team, Manaphy too, Thundurus NP too, Keldeo Specs too. No many a thing to say about it really.
Avalugg.png 250px-302Sableye.png nursechansey.gif quagsire_by_alcor_etc-da335k9.png 36-Clefable.png 680.png

The entire squad, Doublade is here to beat the Taunt Gardevoir, Medicham with an Elemental Punch, it can trap Lati@s, It can also hax the opposing Sableye, or Pursuit it. It's also my second check to many things, and the better RK I ever seen in hard Stall.

II) The Team in-depth
250px-302Sableye.png
Sableye @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 116 Def / 144 SpD
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Protect / Night Sahde
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp

The set is really standard. This is Utility Sableye, I use Protect because it's useful to check on which move the choice mon decides to lock itself into, and for PP stalling, it also allows to " lure " Lopunny-Mega, if well played. Night Shade is a pretty uncommun choice, but if you're sure that you will face a bulky / stall team it's REALLY helpful. Otherwise, it's a viable option if you fear Heatran. Don't forget that you want to Knock Off the Traneven if that means burn Sableye.

Avalugg.png

Avalugg @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Avalanche
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Earthquake / Roar

The Star of the team. Fully invested in HP and Defense, because the SpD is useless anyway. The Relaxed nature to laugh about the Ferrothorn's Gyros. Rapid Spin allows to win the hazard war and with it you can come on Landorus and just Spin if Sableye failed in its task. Earthquake is for surprise a Heatran, but Roar can be more consistant as an emergency move. Everything you need to know is that :

+3 252 Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Crunch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 171-202 (43.5 - 51.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham High Jump Kick vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 326-386 (82.9 - 98.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Superpower vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 220-260 (55.9 - 66.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Superpower vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 146-174 (37.1 - 44.2%) -- 99.9% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 192-228 (48.8 - 58%) -- 50.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

You're like a Chansey eating Focus Blast.

nursechansey.gif
Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock
- Seismic Toss
- Heal Bell

This is God. Nothing more to say except that the EVs in HP and Defense allow to scout the Specs Keldeo's move it choose to lock on you just have to Soft-Boiled.

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 548-648 (77.9 - 92.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

quagsire_by_alcor_etc-da335k9.png
Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Recover
- Toxic

Pretty Standard stall Pokemon. Swaggsire himself, Toxic is to beat Slowbro Mega without Rest and Talonflame Bulk Up with Wow, and Curse is not needed, so let's cripple your switchs.

36-Clefable.png
Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

A really nice glue for the team. The spread is for hard switch on Specs Keldeo and check the move :

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Clefable: 207-244 (52.5 - 61.9%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Just use Protect and Wish nicely and you should beat this scary Pokemon.
This is also the best Manaphy and Thundurus switch in and a really good answer to Togekiss haxx sets
680.png
Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Pursuit
- Iron Head
- Shadow Sneak
- Rest
Heracross ? Gardevoir ? Wallbreaker ? None of this is a problem for you if you play this right. Doublade is just something I must play in any stall team because it's too good.
III) Threatlist

Black is harmless
Orange is pretty annoying
Red is dangerous

All-Out Attacker -Quagsire or Doublade. No problem.

Life Orb - Clefable, Sableye, and Doublade.

Focus Sash - Same

All-Out Attacker - Same as Alakazam

Offensive Dragon Dance- Quagsire

Defensive Dragon Dance - Quasire
Support - Chansey and Clefable

Agility - Clefable

Lead -Sableye Protect to reveal the set. If it has Skill Swap just play around, anyway Avalugg will spin against the Excadrill or anything it can wall nicely. If there's nothing it can wall just sacrifice it for spinning. Then ggs.

Dual Screens - I just don't mind the screens, I'm playing stall man.

Belly Drum - Quagsire

Choice Band - Avalugg + Doublade
Assault Vest - Avalugg

Offensive Pivot - It will die with the Rocky Helmet recoil.

Swords Dance - Quagsire.

Pursuit - Doublade take 0, Quagsire.
Offensive Rapid Spin - Just Chansey or Clefable.

Physical Attacker - THIS IS ANNOYING. That depends of the set but Adamant LO Spore SD force you to play around and predict. The strategy is to send Avalugg on the Spore and check it with Doublade. But I got rekt twice, so I believe it's dangerous.

Lead - The Spore + 3 Atks ? No Boost, no LO, just don't mind, same as the other but no risks.
Dragon Dance - Quagsire

Bulky Will-O-Wisp - Quagsire + Heal Bell
Swords Dance + Tailwind - Quagsire. If Outrage just play around, let something die and RK with Avalugg.

All Out Attacker - Chansey

Calm Mind - Your Clefa + Quagsire + Doublade if no Fire move.

Assault Vest - AV is the stupid set without poison move ? Clefa. Or just Wow this Sableye, you win the duel. 252+ Atk Guts Conkeldurr Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 112 Def Mega Sableye: 107-127 (35.1 - 41.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO.

Sheer Force Attacker - Burned by Sableye

Swords Dance - Use cheap damages + Avalugg RH and a move to beat it. Sometimes Avalugg can survive. Anyway, if it die that means that Doublade RK, if not you get outplayed or you played badly.

All Out Attacker - Chansey + Doublade

Rock Polish - Chansey + Doublade
Sharpen - Doublade + Quagsire + Chansey, play around
Swords Dance - God Table : +2 252+ Atk Life Orb Huge Power Diggersby Return vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 257-304 (65.3 - 77.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Choice Scarf - Same
Choice Band - Same

Offensive Toxic Spikes - Play Around, or beat it and spin after, Doublade can Iron Head + Pursuit it several times.

Choice Specs - Chansey

Dragon Dance - Quagsire / Avalugg

Choice Band - Avalugg
Bulky Roost - Avalugg
Trapper - What can you trap bro ?

Full Out Attacker - Quagsire, just check for NG Grass before.

Swords Dance - Quagsire

Air Balloon SD - Quagsire
Choice Scarf - Quagsire + Avalugg
SR Setter - Avalugg
Dragon Dance - Qaugsire

Swords Dance - Quagsire
Swords Dance - Seriously ? Sableye

Swords Dance - Quagsire / Avalugg

Choice Scarf -Avalugg
Stealth Rock - Sableye / Avalugg / Quagsire / Clefa. Depends of the set.
Swords Dance -Quagsire + Sableye + Clefable

Mixed Attacker -sableye + Clefable+
Offensive Calm Mind - Doublade

All-Out Attacker - Same
Curse - Quagsire

Taunt + Will-O-Wisp - Sableye

All-Out Attacker - Sableye
Substitute Dragon Dance - Quagsire / Avalugg

Offensive Dragon Dance - Same
Dragon Dance - Avalugg

Substitute + Swords Dance: Quagsire

Stallbreaker -
Sableye Knock off this thing, then SR + Quag + Chansey should beat this thing
Choice Scarf - Chansey
STEALTH ROCK - Show that you have skills.

Swords Dance - Doublade
Substitute - Doublade

Nasty Plot - Clefable or Chansey

Wallbreaker - Chansey. Clefa is a nice backup
Choice Scarf - Same

Rain Dance Sweeper - Play Around, Avalugg + Quagsire should beat him. Chansey is nice for cheap damages, Doublade is strong againt too.

Choice Specs - Play around. Sometimes I need to sacrifice Doublade.

Calm Mind - Clefable
Choice Scarf - Clefable
Rest Sleep Talk - Clefable
Life Orb - Chansey
Choice Specs - Chansey

Substitute - Chansey
Mixed - Chansey

Choice Scarf - Chansey
If Outrage go Avalugg or Doublade and RK
Double Dancer - Quagsire
Choice Scarf - Avalugg
Pivot - Avalugg, if ghost, predict when SR and go for it. If it's defensive Pivot Sableye is free.

Life Orb - Doublade

Calm Mind - Clefable

Life Orb - Doublade if HP Fire play around whith Chansey, pretty easy.
Calm Mind - Doublade
Choice Scarf - Doublade

All Out Attacker - Lure it with Sableye and get cheap damages with Quag and Avalugg. Pray th emiss if it's Adamant.

Swords Dance - Doublade if no Crunch, Sableye if no Tail.

Choice Specs - Can't trap Doublade 'cause ghost typing. Ggs, thx for playing.
Substitute -same
Choice Scarf -Same

All Out Attacker - Avalugg.
Lead - Sableye if LO it's tricky, but be the nice staller, and use your brain.

This Pokemon is just a little shit. Clefable is here, just bye.

Offensive Pivot - Quagsire, just check for HP Grass
All Out Attacker - Doublade / Sableye. Don't be affraid by

Foresight, Sableye reflect it.
All Out Attacker - Doublade.

Speed Boosting - Same

All-Out Attacker - Chansey. If your opponent lead with and you fear SR, Knock Off with Bleye.

Special Attacker - Clefable / Chansey

Stallbreaker - Clefable

Swords Dance - AVALUGG LITTLE BITCH

Rain Support - Chansey

Calm Mind - Quagsire after checking for HP Grass, Clefa is the backup.
Specs - Quagsire + Chansey
Assault Vest - Quagsire, if HP grass use anything.

Calm Mind - Sableye is good with Doublade you should beat it, if it is no offensive Clefa wins.

Pivot - TOXIC THIS SHIT. After that it's win, you can win against a burned Rotom kill every other Pokemon and 1v1 with Sableye.

Calm Mind - Clefable
Utility Knock Off - Clefable, your Sableye if you run Night Shade, Doublade.

Substitute + 3 Attacks - Clefable

All Out Attacker - Same

Life Orb - Avalugg
Lead - Sableye

Choice Band - Annoying. Doublade + Avalugg + SR are good at down this thing.
Swords Dance - Quag
Bulky Swords Dance - Same

3 Attacks Swords Dance - Quag
Bulky Swords Dance - Same, Doublade if U-Turn, in order to not weak Quag.

All Out Attacker - Clefable

Substitute Leech Seed - Clefable + PP waste Seeds or Leaf Storm.

Offensive: - Avalugg

Custap - Sableye

Calm Mind - Quag Toxic + Clefa

Calm Mind - Same
Offensive Tank - Chansey + Clefa
Calm Mind - Same as Slowbro
Choice Band - Doublade. Avalugg is a good backup.
Choice Scarf - Same

Offensive Rapid Spin - Chansey / Clefable

Calm Mind - PP waste this thing as you want, be smart, don't forget it has pressure.
0 SpA Suicune Scald vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Quagsire: 111-132 (28.1 - 33.5%) -- 93.7% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

Rain Dance Sweeper -Avalugg
Choice Specs -Chansey

Swords Dance - Quag
Bulk Up - Quag
Stallbreaker - Sableye + Quag
Choice Band - Play Around. Sab can Knock Off easily.
Choice Band - Doublade, no one plays EQ
Choice Scarf - Quagsire / Doublade
Substitute + Swords Dance - Quagsire.

Nasty Plot - Clefable
Prankster - Same
Mixed -Same

Double Dancer - Same as Thundurus-T

Nasty Plot - Clefable should win, if not running Heal Bell try to Toxic with Quag.
Life Orb - Clefable, no too much confuse please.
Assault Vest - Same but powerless

Choice Band - Quag + Avalugg should beat him. If you can predict an catch it with a statut it's nice.
Choice Scarf - Quagsire
Smooth Rock - Sableye + Quag, if it setup SR, rapid spin on Excadrill.
Dragon Dance - Quagsire.

Choice Band - Please don't. Doublade + Quag should beat it I think, never play against, Orange for the doubts.
Dragon Dance - Quagsire.
Choice Scarf - Same.

Offensive - Chansey, if you can burn it it's nice.

Choice Band - Play Around and pray.
Choice Scarf - Same but no need to pray.
Special Lure - Chansey. If
Mixed, play around.

Choice Specs - Chansey.

Offensive Quiver Dance - Clefable
Bulky Quiver Dance / Roost - Chansey + Clefable

All Out Attacker - Avalugg
Swords Dance - Really ? Quag should beat it bar haxx.

Dragon Dance - Avalugg / Quagsire

If a mod can hide the threatlist that would be nice, I tried but no succes.

IV) Replays
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-393385512 : vs Wally the bully M-Medicham offense
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-394317715 : vs the ABR M-medicham
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-393053935 : vs a M-Lop Bulky Offense
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-393049800 : vs a M-Zor / Volcanion
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-394918050 : vs a M-Gard / Weavile Bulky Off

V) Shoutouts
Kit10 : For support me when I climbed the ladd and for testing the team in many Daily Tours.
Tom0410 : For being one of the few people I knew when I started competitive Pokemon.
Beurredecahuete : For loving gimmick and support on ladd.
k3nan : 'cause he's a Medicham, and my team loves Medicham.
Teclis : For support me on the lad, and 'cause he's cool.
ludicrousman : For loving Stall.
Staxi72 : For being my virtual boyfriend ( I'm not gay )
Execute : For the grammar
Welli0u : For playing the team and make one of the replay.

Importable :
http://hastebin.com/iqupirozur.md

Attachments

Last edited:

Ricardo

Banned deucer.
Nice team :]
I love Avalugg, it's so cool to see an ice mon being useful defensively, seeing as ice is so horrible defensively.
This team looks fun (even though it's stall) and i will definitely use it quite a bit.

Cool team, but straying from the standard stall build always opens up a lot of issues.

"Playing around" Specs Keldeo isn't really an answer when your best non-prediction-reliant switch is Unaware Clefable. Scald does 40% and if it burns, you're screwed. Hydro straight 2HKO's. It doesn't help that Wish/Protect is the sole recovery.

The problem here is that Avalugg is your only Ground "resist", so you just have no switch in. Quagsire gets reliably 2HKOd with any kind of residual damage on it, and Exca gets very easy switches against Clefable and Doublade.

Taunt + Toxic Tran is a pain against virtually every stall build, but it has an especially easy matchup against this team.

Very scary. Quagsire's the only semi-answer and it can't even switch in.

Beyond individual threats, I also think you lose pretty comfortably to most defensive teams, since you lack any way of exerting pressure, have no immunities to Scald (or Lava Plume), and just get stalled out of Heal Bell.

Quagsire + M-Sab + Chansey are essential usually so we'll keep them plus Avalugg. Right now I can think of two main changes which could be made.

Option 1

>

I'm not a huge fan of Doublade. Yeah it gives unique threat coverage against Gardevoir and Heracross, but it's also extremely passive and is just sub-optimal in my experience. Replacing it with Slowbro gives you at least a reasonable switch-in against all of the above threats, as well as a Regenerating Scald / Lava Plume absorber to conserve Heal Bell pp. You will lose to a well played Taunt / CM Gard or M-Hera though.

Option 2

>
>

Physical or mixed defensive Skarm over Doublade, and Sap Sipper Azumarill over Clefable. Threat coverage against Gardevoir and Heracross gets worse again, but you don't auto-lose as with the previous suggestion. Azu covers Serperior, Breloom, Keldeo, and Heatran to an extent, and again helps vs stall (Rest + Scald). Skarmory gives you options against Excadrill and Lopunny, and since you don't need Defog on this team, it has a useful extra moveslot to play with. The primary issue with this change is NP Life Orb Thundurus (assuming it can land Focus Blasts on Quagsire and Chansey).

Oh there are also probably other possibilities with Rotom-W or Tangrowth but I'm tired so I'll let you experiment with those if you feel like it.

Finally, another thing I like doing on stalls without a win condition is to run a slightly different Quagsire set which you might like to try out:

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Curse
- Amnesia
- Recover

Boost the relevant defense and sweep via Scald burns. It's especially nice when your team's weakened and you'd otherwise just be waiting for the opponent to sac something, bring in their stallbreaker safely, and finish you off.
Hope that helps you!

Last edited:

Zokuru

The Stall Lord
is a Tiering Contributor
Thanks for posting.

Firstly, Excadrill is not a threat, Avalugg takes like 50% on Iron Head what is correct and Quagsire is a nice answer. A Mold Breaker SD set just 6/0 the team, but hopefully no one play this.

Then, " playing around ". I know this is a Stall team, and nowadays, people don't used to predict with stall, and don't gauge the risks. ORAS OU stall is playing 100% safe.
This team can do it, but, when you play against a Specs Keldeo, or a Lopunny, you need to predict, and play nicely. When you know that Keldeo will be sent, go Clefa. When it's Lopunny go Quagisre. You also have to weak threat with residual damages, as the team has not threat that can heal themself.

For Heatran, Chansey + Quag are the answers after it be knocked off by Sableye. The set with Solar Beam / Magma Storm / Taunt / SR is the heaviest stallbreaking threat.

On defensive threat in general, Night Shade Sableye ,in conjunction with Doublade, wins versus any bulky team, this is why the move is slashed.

Protect is better against Offense and Night Shade gives a nice MU againt Stall especially Sab ones.

The Goomy

Whitest Mexican Alive
Thanks for posting.

Firstly, Excadrill is not a threat, Avalugg takes like 50% on Iron Head what is correct and Quagsire is a nice answer. A Mold Breaker SD set just 6/0 the team, but hopefully no one play this.

Then, " playing around ". I know this is a Stall team, and nowadays, people don't used to predict with stall, and don't gauge the risks. ORAS OU stall is playing 100% safe.
This team can do it, but, when you play against a Specs Keldeo, or a Lopunny, you need to predict, and play nicely. When you know that Keldeo will be sent, go Clefa. When it's Lopunny go Quagisre. You also have to weak threat with residual damages, as the team has not threat that can heal themself.

For Heatran, Chansey + Quag are the answers after it be knocked off by Sableye. The set with Solar Beam / Magma Storm / Taunt / SR is the heaviest stallbreaking threat.

On defensive threat in general, Night Shade Sableye ,in conjunction with Doublade, wins versus any bulky team, this is why the move is slashed.

Protect is better against Offense and Night Shade gives a nice MU againt Stall especially Sab ones.
I just don't think you really took the (valid) criticism well. You posted your team with hopes that people could rate and improve it.

Saying you have to double switch against two of the most common offensive Pokemon in the tier is just a huge hole to be worried about for a stall team.

Excadrill is definitely a threat as nothing really wants to or can switch in reliably. Even the mold breaker toxic set ruins your entire team.

Taunt - WoW Talon also 6-0s the team due to the lack of foul play on sab for the really niche, non important protect (you do have avalugg for Lopunny).

Non choiced variants of keldeo ruin you as well as any team with multiple ways to burn as you will easily be stalled out of heal bells.

The lack of spikes puts little pressure on the opponent to switch and makes your job much more difficult with how little offensive pressure you have for even a stall team.

There's definitely a reason that most stall builds look almost identical. It's because they're effective and cover the meta most effectively. I feel like this team does a poor job of having counter play to very common stall breakers and common offensive Pokemon.

I think that Clair's suggestions are good and can help the team as much as possible while keeping the structure and avalugg (which is most often deadweight since it lets the biggest threats to your team in for free)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)