XY OU The Legends

Hey, guys. I'm back for more RMT advice, but this time with an absolutely disgusting team.

TEAMBUILDING CONCEPT
Concept:

It all started a couple of days ago. The showdown ladder was down due to its
ALL TOO FREQUENT socket hangups, so I decided to ask for challenges in the lobby chat. I usually got challenges from lower-ranked players, and people would come spectate my matches. Everything was fine initially; I had fun battles, learned a lot, and most of the people I beat were good sports. Now, the keyword here is most. About a couple of battlers complained about my usage of legendary pokemon, namely Keldeo and Thundurus. The most common assertion as to why these people lost to me was because I was using legends, to which I retorted that not all legendaries are necessarily good. But, most Internet denizens--and Showdown no less--are pretentious narcissists who can't admit their fallacies 99% of the time. Today, as I was reflecting upon what people said, I struck a great idea: why not be a massive douchetroll and use an (almost) all legendary team? And so this was the initiation...of the legend.

THE TEAM:

THE LEGEND (Kyurem-Black) @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 56 SpA / 200 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Fusion Bolt
- Iron Head
- Dragon Claw
- Ice Beam

I initially chose Kyurem-B to be the MVP of my team and the great wallbreaker. I have never seriously used this guy, but literally everyone is praising him for his legendary destructive capability, so I thought why not. The EVs are there to maximize kyurem's physical attack while giving it a respectable special attack stat for hitting physical walls, namely gliscor and ferrothorn. Fusion Bolt and Dragon Claw are the main go-to moves, since they provide great coverage and obliterate most of the metagame. Iron Head is used to nail max physically defensive clefable and other fairies. Finally, Ice Beam is used for hitting the aforementioned gliscor, and probably ferrothorn as well (although I can't see it doing much). Its teravolt ability is amazing for wrecking Mega Venusaur and Dragonite with ice beam as well.
  • Checks/Counters:
  • Is Checked/Countered by:

THE LEGEND (Heatran) @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 236 HP / 4 SpA / 236 SpD / 32 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Protect

The standard Heatran set. The EVs aren't exactly how they are on the Smogon Strategy dex because I was too lazy to look it up, haha. Lava plume is the only attack--and a STAB one at that--that still does a buttload of damage, coming from Heatran's massive base 130 special attack. Stealth Rock is there for setting hazards. Finally, Toxic is used to gradually wear down the opponent. Finally, protect is used to stall out pokemon that have been toxic'd. Has fairly good synergy with Kyurem-B as it can counter mega mawile, talonflame, mega pinsir, scizor, and possibly excadrill if my air balloon hasn't been broken. Conversely, Kyurem-B handles threats like Clefable, Chansey, etc.

• Checks/Counters:

THE LEGEND (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 156 HP / 140 Atk / 212 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- U-turn

My main choice scarfer. I've been screwed over by a choice-scarf lando-t way too many times, so I want to try it out and see what makes it so devastating. Stone Edge is one of the three power moves used to hit things like Talonflame, Mega Pinsir, etc. The second is Earthquake, which is good for hitting heatran, tyranitar, most fire types, etc. Knock off, the third, is used mainly for coverage and removing valuable items. Lastly, U-Turn is used to gain momentum in the event of unfavorable matchups and predicting switches.

• Checks/Counters:

THE LEGEND (Keldeo) @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Icy Wind
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Secret Sword

I initially tried a choice specs keldeo set on my previous team, but I found that it was pretty hard to predict switches and all that good stuff, so instead I opted for a calm mind set in this team. The beauty of this set is that everyone suspects a specs keldeo, so they switch out, and I get a free calm mind boost. Or, if they choose to send out Latios/Latias, I can icy wind them on the switch and lower their speed. Scald and Secret Sword are the primary stab moves. I chose scald over hydro pump because 1) it's more reliable, and 2) burn? haha yeah right it has a decent chance of burning the opponent. The downsides of running CM over Specs is that I don't get as much initial damage off on an opponent, and I have a harder time dealing with Clefable.

• Checks/Counters:

THE LEGEND (Raikou) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Aura Sphere
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch

So far I've had issues with three main threats: azumarill, greninja, and rotom-w, all of which are water types. Raikou handles all three of them with relative ease when coupled with assault vest. Thunderbolt easily takes care of the latter two, and volt switch is used to go into landorus-t on the play rough (as AV azumarill can live a thunderbolt from Raikou). Volt Switch is also great for getting out of a matchup with a special wall. Hidden Power Ice is used to deal with gliscor, which resists Aura Sphere and is immune to Volt Switch/T-Bolt. Finally, Aura Sphere can be used to hit Tyranitar, Excadrill, Bisharp, etc. on the switch. You could consider Raikou the glue of this team.

NOTE: Rash nature b/c showdown saiz so. Raikou is actually pretty bad when it doesn't have a positive speed nature, as Latias/Thundurus outspeed and wreck it

• Checks/Counters:

not the legend (Medicham) @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Psycho Cut
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Fake Out

Okay, you got me. This whole team is not wholly legendary. However, mega medicham occupies a valuable niche in my team, and that is to check hazard leads. If you haven't noticed by now, I don't have a spinner or defogger, since few legendaries get one of those two moves. I was considering latias, but I didn't want two dragons on my team. Anyway, Psycho Cut is used over Zen Headbutt because it doesn't miss and has a high crit ratio. Drain Punch has significantly less base power than HJK, but it's less risky and I can recover health using it. Ice Punch used to counter gliscor. Finally fake out is the indispensible move that can destroy focus sash leads.

• Checks/Counters:
Conclusion:

From what I gleaned making this thread, this team is mainly weak to hazards, greninja, thundurus, scarfed excadrill, rotom-w, and keldeo. Situational/Potential threats include Azumarill (belly drum), mega manectric, volcarona (HP ground), clefable, and mega medicham. I haven't played any games with it yet, but on paper it appears to have major strengths and weaknesses alike.

Replays:
Test (1st game): http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-147999829
(2nd game): http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-148001162 I lost to a mega mawile's sucker punch...maybe sub > iron head?
(3rd game): http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-148260212 Medicham puts in work
Thanks for viewing/rating, guys :)
(4th game): http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-148267021 I have a massive weakness to Azumarill. Should I replace megacham for venusaur?

Last edited:
Hey, cool team there. Kyurem is a massive power house, so teams that focus on him can prove to be very intimidating. I have a few suggestions though.

Firstly, I strongly suggest having a Defog user on your team. There are a variety of defog users to choose from, but if you are determined to have a whole team of legendarys (-1) then you can choose from Latias and Latios. While have 2 dragon types on your team might not seem like a good idea, not having defog can be an even worse one. Nothing on your team has any source of reliable recovery, so if your opponent gets up stealth rocks, your team will find itself being worn down extremely quickly. And Volt Switch Raikou won't be able to function to the best of its ability while rocks are present on the field.

The pokemon I suggest replacing with either Latios or Latias is Keldeo. Keldeo is a very Offensive pokemon which can hit really hard, so I recommend Latios over Latias. Latios is an even more powerful pokemon, with more speed and defog to boot, so it would be a very good replacement to make.

Latios @ life orb
Modest
SpA 252/ Spe 252/ Hp 4
Draco Meteor
Psyshock
Defog
Hidden Power Fire/ Roost

Having 2 dragons on your team shouldn't be too much of a problem because you have Air Balloon Heatran.

As for Raikou, use Timid over Rash, as Raikou's biggest selling point in OU is its speed (outspeed thundurus), so it suffers with Rash. Rash is necessary to have Aura Sphere, but I don't think Aura Sphere is near as much of a necessity as outspeeding fast threats. Instead of Aura Sphere, i suggest using Extrasensory. This allows Raikou to hit poison types (like M-Venusaur).
And for your Heatran set, I suggest using a spread of 252 Hp/ 252 SpD/ 4 SpA.

So yeah, really solid team there, and it could be extremely threatening if a few things are ironed out.
Hope this helps! :]

blunder

the bobby fischer of pokemon
is a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 25 Championis a defending SPL Champion
Big Chungus Winner
Hi Thirdbird cool team you have here! I like the way your team uses the volt-turn core of Raikou and Landorus to wear down the opponent as well as bringing in Mega Medicham easily to punish bulkier Pokemon. While your team looks nice I think I have a few suggestions mainly in the Pokemon sets that would help a lot. For one I think that you might want to try and replace Heatran. On a highly offensive team such as yours Heatran seems to be an offensive killer even though it has the benefit of setting up Stealth Rock. Now removing Heatran would make you incredibly weak to Latios and Latias so a good replacement while keeping good momentum on your side would be to use Black Glasses Bisharp. Bisharp can come in on the Lati twins and trap them easily so that Medicham and Keldeo can easily come in and put in a lot more work. Bisharp also has strong priority that helps late game as well being a great Clefable check which can be a problem if Kyurem-B gets too low.

Bisharp @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 188 HP / 220 Atk / 100 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Iron Head

Now with the inclusion of Bisharp you lose Stealth rock on your team which seems pretty problematic so the best change from here would be to change your Landorus-T set to the Defensive Pivot. While you do lose the use as a scarfer, you said in your original post that Landorus was used to check Pinsir / Heatran / Tyranitar which it can still do easily as well as being able to take hits from Excadrill much easier as under sand and backed up by Life Orb Excadrill can devastate your team. Landorus also has the added bonus of giving you a slow U-Turn so that you can bring in Medcham easily and start busting holes in your opponents team. The loss of a revenge killer shouldn't be too much of a problem as most Set up sweepers such as Tyranitar and Dragonite are easily checked by your team.

Landorus (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 200 HP / 216 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

Now another small change that I want to recommend is to slightly change Keldeo's set. Calm Mind is fantastic vs bulkier teams, but seeing as you have Kyurem-B and Medicham you really don't need any more wallbreakers. Choice Specs would be a great option instead to break holes in your opponents team so that faster mons on your team such as Raikou can clean up late game. Specs also hits a lot harder as well as pressuring most Pokemon that can switch in (Think Lati twins / Clefable / Venusaur / Rotom-W) and gives you a much easier time picking up momentum to wear down the opponent.

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Icy Wind

Now the last change I want to recommend is also a set change regarding Mega Medicham. Since Medicham is used to break massive wholes in the opponents team especially vs fatter teams I think you really should consider running High Jump Kick and Zen Headbutt on your set. Drain Punch is way too weak to be considered and even with the healing it provides, the power that High Jump Kick allows is way too much to pass up as it also gives Medicham almost no switchins. With Drain Punch your set becomes a lot weaker and most of the Pokemon that would get OHKOed now easily live a hit and can retaliate back such as Mawile or Scizor.

Medicham @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch
- Fake Out

Well that's all I got, nice team and I hope I helped! :]

Last edited:
blunder thanks for the sets :) I am trying this team out, and I realize that Mega Gardevoir is a pretty big threat to my team, as only Keldeo and Raikou outspeed it but can't do very much damage, and bisharp runs the risk of getting wisp'd.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)