Serious The last flames of our childhood is going away

With 3DS and Wii U Online services shutting down in April 8th, 2024, I have realized something... The candles of our childhood are being lighted out. How do y'all guys feel about it? Me? Personallly I feel sad because I loved playing Mario Kart 7 on my 3ds on 2017 and Pokemon X when.. what was it called, Pokelink I forgot what is was called, I used to have an account on there.
Now only PlayStation 3 Online services exist (just a few days ago they dropped an update for PlayStation 3) and Possibly XBOX 360.
List others here

As someone who grew up on the 3DS and Wii U, the main thing that makes me sad here is Miiverse. I wasn't on social media, and in a world where my console of choice was a failure, Miiverse made even singleplayer games feel vibrant and full of people like me who loved Nintendo.

I hope Miiverse can come back in the future in some way, but also to the past in general: We have to move on

Lionyx

メラミ
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
I don't really mind, it needed to happen sooner or later and we're still keeping Pokémon Bank so I can't complain too much. Nearly everything of what I do on my 3DS/Wii U nowadays is offline play, and there are/will be ways to download updates and play online anyway, for whoever needs it.

If anything, I'm more nostalgic about it being free, as compared to modern Nintendo/PlayStation/Xbox online which one needs to pay for, but other than that, the consoles have had a nice life both offline and online as far as I'm concerned.

As someone who grew up on the 3DS and Wii U, the main thing that makes me sad here is Miiverse. I wasn't on social media, and in a world where my console of choice was a failure, Miiverse made even singleplayer games feel vibrant and full of people like me who loved Nintendo.

I hope Miiverse can come back in the future in some way, but also to the past in general: We have to move on
True

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor

Nah Miiverse was actual brain rot, that needed to go :worrywhirl:

I don't really mind, it needed to happen sooner or later and we're still keeping Pokémon Bank so I can't complain too much. Nearly everything of what I do on my 3DS/Wii U nowadays is offline play, and there are/will be ways to download updates and play online anyway, for whoever needs it.

If anything, I'm more nostalgic about it being free, as compared to modern Nintendo/PlayStation/Xbox online which one needs to pay for, but other than that, the consoles have had a nice life both offline and online as far as I'm concerned.
Coming from someone who didn’t have online multiplayer access until the latter half of 2014 (and even then I only used it for, like, one or two different Wii U games), I won’t miss it because I’ve only gained more of an appreciation for playing games on my own in recent years. Back before I knew the truth about major gaming companies and online gaming etiquette, among other things, it seemed a lot more appealing. Having people wonder when you’re going to be online next just sounds like one extra pointless thing to get stressed about when I have other, far more useful things I’d rather be doing. By comparison, I distinctly remember being happier on average before we had access to the Internet, at least in this context.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)