Tournament The Inaugural Doubles Derby Manager Signups

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaori

Fully Automated Gay Space Communism
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
DPL Champion
Welcome to the first edition of the Doubles Derby!

This tournament will feature 6 teams to fight it out over a 5 week round robin regular season following an auction-style draft. The top 4 teams at the end of that phase will move on to the playoffs, where after 2 weeks we will crown the first Doubles Derby champions!

Prospective managers should read about the following rules. To reiterate: we are looking for 6 teams that will receive 100k credits each to draft a squad of 8 starting players and at least 2 substitutes. This edition will feature 2x SV DOU and 1x SV DUU, SV Doubles Ubers, SV National Dex Doubles, SV Doubles LC, DPP DOU, and ADV DOU.

*Pending the amount of signups, we may consider having 4 substitutes per team*

Managers will be allowed to sign up with a co-manager, or alternatively choose a co-manager from their team after the draft. If a manager signs up with a co-manager, only one of them can be bought (and thus play). The other manager who is not bought cannot play at any phase, but will remain eligible for winner's prizes. Co-managers appointed after the draft will be allowed to play.

Managers will be able to self-buy for 13k Auction credits for the first edition of the tournament.

Player signups will begin July 16th.

Managers can sign up with the format below:

Name:
Time zone:
Significant time missed:
Co-manager name if applicable:
Team brand (MUST BE HORSE THEMED):
Why should you be a Derby manager?:
What Derby tiers do you have experience with?:
Who is your favorite Uma Musume character?

Some team name ideas

Signups will close a week from now, on the 9th of July.

Last edited by a moderator:

bagel

formerly bage1
is a Community Leaderis a Tiering Contributoris the defending DOU Circuit Champion
Doubles Leader
Name: bage1

Time zone: -4

Significant time missed: n/a

Co-manager name if applicable: big pichu

Team brand (MUST BE HORSE THEMED): Twinleaf Turboblaze

Why should you be a Derby manager?: Both big pichu and I are newer members of the doubles community that have been heavily involved in many of the tiers included in Derby. I am on the SV DOU and DPP DOU VR Councils, and big pichu is a National Dex Doubles TL. We both played SV DUU in DPL, and big pichu was promoted to co-manager for Rustboro Baptist Church after being drafted.

What Derby tiers do you have experience with?: SV DOU, SV DUU, SV Doubles Ubers, SV National Dex Doubles, DPP DOU, ADV DOU

Who is your favorite Uma Musume character?: Twin Turbo

Smudge

NatDex Doubles TL
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Name: Smudge

Time zone: -7

Significant time missed: N/A

Co-manager name if applicable: qsns

Team brand (MUST BE HORSE THEMED): Jublife Jockeys

Why should you be a Derby manager?: I am strongly familiar with the playerbase of each metagame (except DUU since it just came back) due to participating in all of them regularly, and even running one of the included tiers. I get along very well with many, many people in the Doubles community, and I believe I would be able to foster a competitive but still healthy and fun team environment, something that I think is of the utmost importance in team tours. As an interested manager, I also provided feedback regarding the tour in the format discussion thread, proving how seriously I have taken the process.

What Derby tiers do you have experience with?: All except DUU.

Who is your favorite Uma Musume character? Seeking The Pearl

Last edited:

eragon

:gaming:
is a Tiering Contributor
Name: eragon11145

Time zone: -7

Co-manager name if applicable: Hugo (gmt +2)

Team brand (MUST BE HORSE THEMED): Konikoni Kingdras (it's a seahorse ok)

Why should you be a Derby manager?: Hugo and I both have experience with many of the tiers involved in derby and are both on the newer side of the dou community. Hugo has had some experience managing on other parts of this site, and I have a small amount of managerial experience from being the emergency manager for lands in DPL. Hugo and I get along very well and the difference in our timezones means that one of us will almost always be available if needed. I have a decent amount of experience with all the DOU tiers besides ADV while Hugo has a lot of experience with some of the lesser tiers like DUbers and DUU. Most importantly, we know how to balance fun with competitive spirit. Finally, having been pretty active in the community for the last six months, I think I have a pretty good familiarity with a lot of the playerbase, which should be very useful for a tour like this.

What Derby tiers do you have experience with?
From most experience to least experience: SV DOU, Natdex Dou (on council), DPP, DUU, DUbers
Hugo has experience with SV Dou, Duu and Dubers (main tier)

Who is your favorite Uma Musume character? none (smh)

Amaranth

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
UPL Champion
Name: Amaranth

Time zone: GMT+2 (CEST)

Significant time missed: None, Ever

Co-manager name if applicable: zoe

Team brand (MUST BE HORSE THEMED): Upscale Unicorns (Rapidash-G)

Why should you be a Derby manager?: known innovator of metagame-defining teams such as mdiancie gastro steela cress fat in SM or rabsca ape in early SV. "most underrated DOU player" in 2022. also i manage spl and scl regularly
zoe is the savior of the Doubles community

What Derby tiers do you have experience with?: SVDOU, ADVDOU, good knowledge of the playerbase of the others despite little first hand experience

Last edited:

raf

quite alright
is a Tiering Contributor
Name: raf

Time zone: +5

Significant time missed: nop

Co-manager name if applicable: Mishimono

Team brand (MUST BE HORSE THEMED): Keldeo's Cavalry

Why should you be a Derby manager?: Both of us have been around for a looooong time in the doubles community and have a lot of experience in team tournaments in general. I've particularly gotten way more active this gen compared to the previous ones while mishi is starting to get back into it as well. We both have a pretty good idea of the playerbase as well as how to maintain a healthy team environment.

What Derby tiers do you have experience with?: I've been pretty big on SV DOU and have spectated DUU, Nat dex. DPP and ADV. Mishi is pretty much in the same boat.

Who is your favorite Uma Musume character?: idk what that is but mishi can tell you his favorite My Little Pony character

GenOne

DOU main. GMT-7. PS!: GenOne
is a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Name: GenOne

Time zone: GMT-7

Significant time missed: None planned but my work could get busy depending on how B.C.'s wildfire situation goes this summer

Co-manager name if applicable: TBD

Team brand (MUST BE HORSE THEMED):

red-spect-redemption.png

(full art to follow if I get picked as manager)

Why should you be a Derby manager?:
  • Banger logo art
  • I will work really hard to help everyone prep each week (I likely won't be self-buying myself)
  • Trusted community member / DOU Council member with good rapport
  • I've participated in lots of past DOU team tours including DPLs and DWCOPs and have been part of a lot of really well-organized teams with good synergy and good vibes, and I think I have what it takes to replicate that kind of environment
  • Did I mention banger logo art?
What Derby tiers do you have experience with?:

Outside of DOU I've only dabbled with Nat Dex DOU so far, but I would plan to learn all of the Derby tiers at least well enough to be able to provide test games and building support. For reference in DPL 9 I helped others test teams in pretty much every tier even though I was only maining SM. Also, I mained SM when I didn't even sign up for it and went 4-4 so I'm definitely capable :)

Who is your favorite Uma Musume character?

I'm not familiar with Uma Musume, sorry! If you can think of a character that would suit me lemme know lol. El Condor Pasa seem pretty chill I guess; flamenco guitar is epic. Thanks DOUCORD for helping me out haha.

Attachments

Last edited:

Larry

formerly Leru
is a Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion
Name: Larry

Time zone: gmt+2

Significant time missed: None whatsoever!

Co-manager name if applicable: Stone Cold Xrn SuperEpicAmpharos Hayburner Theia Potatochan Monai Mashing dex Cubic Skunk Mana Z Strats TPP The Strap

Team brand (MUST BE HORSE THEMED): Ray's Mudbrays

Why should you be a Derby manager?: We want to manage with more than 2 people so we can cover all timezones, hope that's not a problem!

What Derby tiers do you have experience with?: Stone Cold and The Strap are avid SV DUU players, Theia, The Strap, Potatochan, Monai and Mashing have played a lot of SV DOU lately, SuperEpicAmpharos and I have played a bunch of SV Doubles Ubers lately, dex, Cubic Skunk and Mana really enjoy SV National Dex Doubles and Hayburner, Xrn and TPP can probably cover the remaining 3 tiers. SuperEpicAmpharos also larps as ADV DOU tier leader or whatever I guess.

Who is your favorite Uma Musume character? Tough question, I really like Hishi Amazon because of her tan. As for my co-managers, I know that Stone Cold really likes Tosen Jordan, Xrn really likes Mejiro Ardan and Daiichi Ruby (fucking two-timer -_-), SuperEpicAmpharos is head over heels for Sakura Laurel, Hayburner is hopelessly in love with Neo Universe, Theia likes Ines Fujin, Potatochan has been talking endlessly about Hokko Tarumae lately, Monai is currently researching the laws on marriage with imaginary characters out of love for Kitasan Black and Mashing likes Vodka, and I mean not just the character. I mean, have you ever seen her play? dex really likes Inari One's personality, Cubic Skunk thinks Aston Machan is the coolest girl of them all, Mana's favorite anime is Cars so he's obviously going for Mejiro McQueen, Z Strats only cares about gameplay but has no idea how to play the game so somehow ended up simping for Matikanetannhauser and lastly, The Strap and TPP have been fighting over Taiki Shuttle for the past eight hours.

Name: Feyy

Time zone: GMT +8

Significant time missed: None

Co-manager name: Lemurro

Team brand: Low Horsepower
Asking a friend to make the logo. For now, have this draft i made in paint

Why should you be a Derby manager? I'm a newer player to the community that reached top 16 in seasonal and had a positive 4-3 finish in SV DOU in DPL for the Snowpoint City Coldcrew. Lemurro made top 16 in the last OSDT and had a positive 3-1 finish in SV DOU in DPL for the Rustboro Baptist Church. Both Lemurro and I have experience managing in non-smogon doubles team tours and believe we can provide a fun team tour experience.

What Derby tiers do you have experience with? DOU, DUU, Dubers, dabbled in Natdex and DPP and i hope to learn more tiers during the tour to help with building and testing.

Who is your favorite Uma Musume character? Tokai Teio because that's the only one i know from the meme where she sings Ballin'

kaori

Fully Automated Gay Space Communism
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
DPL Champion
The managers for the first Doubles Derby will be as follows:

bage1 + big pichu will manage the Twinleaf Turboblaze
Smudge + qsns will manage the Jubilife Jockeys
eragon11145 + Hugo will manage the Konikoni Kingdras
Amaranth + zoe will manage the Upscale Unicorns
raf + Mishimono will manage the Keldeo's Cavalry
GenOne will manage the Red Spect Redemption

All self-buy prices will be 13k credits. One manager per team can be self-bought.

We will be taking a week before player signups go up on July 16th to begin getting art made for the team logos. If you would like to help out with this, please let us know!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)