VGC The Homecoming - A Return to VGC

"The Homecoming" by Arnold Böcklin

It's been nearly 5 years since I've played VGC properly (the last time being in the 2016 format!), so now that I've actually bought a Nintendo Switch, I felt that it was a good opportunity for me to jump into the new format! I'm new to Gen 8, as I've only just completed Shield, and am looking to build this team in-game, so I'd really appreciate some feedback if this team has any significant flaws which I'm not aware of!

The Team

After finishing Shield, I realised that I had two shinies from Pokemon Go which I could transfer to my game via Pokemon Home - Metagross and Salamence - who turn out to be quite a strong combo in the current format! The remainder of the team aims to synergise with the duo (via a dragon/fairy/steel core and a FWG core), and utilises a secondary dynamax in Galarian Moltres. I've gone with basic EV spreads here, so if anyone has any better ideas, please let me know!

In Depth

Metagross @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Clear Body
Level: 50
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Ice Punch
- Stomping Tantrum
- Protect

First half of the Hoenn Duo. Of my experience of 8th gen, I would say that Dynamax is a pretty balanced game mechanic. Restricted to powerful offensive moves only, with an increased HP stat to boot, of course there are obviously going to be Pokemon who function extraordinarily well under the conditions. Metagross is one of those Pokemon. With weakness policy attached, it offers great coverage with its steel/ice/ground moves.

Salamence @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Air Slash
- Flamethrower
- Bulldoze

Second half of the Hoenn Duo. With Bulldoze, Salamence gives Metagross an instant attack boost, as well as a reasonably reliable method of speed control. With intimidate, as well as great type synergy with Metagross, Salamence is a great offensive pivot, firing off powerful Draco Meteors at the opposing side. Finally, Salamence receives some decent flying attacks!! Air Slash is the preferred option here, with a healthy 30% flinch chance.

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 236 SpA / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
- Muddy Water
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Protect

About as standard as you can get. With enough speed to creep slower Rotom variants, Calm Mind Fini is a very well balanced Pokemon. Fini also ties together the Fairy/Steel/Dragon and FWG cores perfectly, so it's a very welcome addition to the team. A very dominant Pokemon in the current format, it offers a variety of both defensive and offensive options to the team. If you have any other suggestions for moves/EVs etc, please let me know!

Rotom-Heat @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 124 HP / 252 SpA / 132 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Will-O-Wisp
- Ally Switch

The last time I saw Rotom-Heat ranking this highly in VGC was back in 2014, my first year of competitive play! It has a fantastic typing and ability, able to hit the top three Pokemon in the format (Glastrier, Metagross and Tapu Fini) for super effective damage. Not only that, but it provides the team with Ally Switch, an extremely annoying yet useful redirection option for set ups, spores and switches. I gave Rotom-H Will-O-Wisp instead of the more prevalent Nasty Plot because I didn't want to have 3 Pokemon with set up moves, plus it provides a nice support option for Metagross (along with Max Quake's +1 SpD boost), Tapu Fini (Calm Mind) and Moltres-Galar (Misty Seed), reducing the damage dealt to all three.

Amoonguss @ Coba Berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Rage Powder
- Spore
- Sludge Bomb
- Protect

One of the champions of VGC, Amoonguss finds favour in yet another format. Spore remains the broken move that it is, and finds a new best friend in Ally Switch. Being able to draw the opponents attention away for a turn in order to put threats to sleep is a very useful and VERY infuriating tool.

Moltres-Galar @ Misty Seed
Ability: Berserk
Timid Nature
- Fiery Wrath
- Air Slash
- Nasty Plot
- Snarl

Discount Yveltal. I'm drawn to this set because it offers the team a balance between defensive options (with some extra flinch chances), with good offense (not to mention speed control too) in Nasty Plot/Berserk+Dynamax. As a prior VGC 16 player, Yveltal was one of my favourite Pokemon to use - the dark/flying typing is particularly interesting!

I hope you've enjoyed reading about my team, please let me know if you have any suggestions below!

Metagross @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Ice Punch
- Stomping Tantrum
- Protect

Salamence @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Air Slash
- Flamethrower
- Bulldoze

Amoonguss @ Coba Berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Rage Powder
- Spore
- Sludge Bomb
- Protect

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 236 SpA / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
- Muddy Water
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Protect

Rotom-Heat @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 124 HP / 252 SpA / 132 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Will-O-Wisp
- Ally Switch

Moltres-Galar @ Misty Seed
Ability: Berserk
Timid Nature
- Fiery Wrath
- Air Slash
- Nasty Plot
- Snarl

***UPDATE***

Kartana now replaces Amoonguss, due to Spore not functioning under Misty Terrain (rookie error...) as well as a lack of offensive options against threats like Nihilego and Tapu Fini.

Kartana @ Life Orb
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Substitute
- Protect

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)