The Hollow

Neliel

Sacred Sword
The hollow

by Neliel

Introduction:

So its been a while i havent posted an rtm here, but now i have the feel that this team its worth an rtm because it uses an odd and underrated thing and i want to share it with everyone. As some of you may know, i dont really like the state of bw right now, so i just spend the most of the time playing other tiers or building for personal challenges with underrated stuff.
For this team i tried to build around the Hollow, which is Shedinja. I think you all know what it does and why its strange so i wont comment on that. The point of building around it is that Shedinja has some cool niches that makes it worth it if supported well. It can wall a lot of pokemon, such as Scizor, Thundurus, Politoed, Starmie, Keldeo, Breloom, Landorus, Mamoswine, Garchomp, Latios, Jirachi.. the list can probably go on even though it depends on the moveset they run. But its not only that, shedinja is a ghost type and like any other ghost it beats spinners, in particular starmie and tentacruel. Its also the only thing that can mindless come in on Scizor and rotom-w (without wow) to completely stop volturn cores. If it wasnt enough, its a good switch in for dragons, even though you have to predict a fire move.
So, at this point you are probably thinking that im mad describing Shedinja like it can wall the whole metagame, but of course im not. Shedinja also has many flaws, it can only work without hazards and only if tyranitar is dead. It will also die from status and any other residual damage, making battles against stall team difficult to do.
Anyway, lets see how i tried to build around it ^^

Building phase:

Of course i started by the Hollow

Then now, it was clear i needed Politoed or Ninetales in order to beat sand and hail teams. I tried with ninetales first but the building was getting very difficult because defensively ninetales doesnt do nothing and i also lacked of great spinners, so i decided to try with politoed

At this point i put tentactrul because its like a must to prevent stealth rock, tentacruel also has toxic spikes which are usefull with a ghost.

Now i checked any stealth rocker used in the tier, and i found that a lot of them can comfortably beat tentacruel, so i put Xatu as well to make this team 99% immune to hazards.

Now i had to fix the eletric weakness, and i also wanted a steel type. Ferrothorn its a good pokemon overall so i put it as well.

As a last thing, i wanted a sort of ground type because its immune to eletric, probably has access to stealth rock and to beat tyranitar and jirachi. Dugtrio was perfect for this role, also fixing my weakness to sun teams.

So the team was made :3

The team:

In depth:

Politoed (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Toxic
- Scald
- Protect
- Refresh

Well i dont i have to say what Bulky politoed does right? Anyway maybe its just me that im obsessed with status, but i dont really like to have my toad statused so i always use refresh. The point is, scald wars are stupid. Its like waiting for a burn and win because you have burned first. Thanks to refresh i can win basically any status was with others bulky water. Not only this, i've never liked to send Politoed against a ninetales, take the burn, then lose in the long run against it because im burned. Im also obsessed to lose weather wars against sun teams, try to understand me :x
Anyway the speed here is solely for one reason, which is toxic jellicent before it taunts me. It works the most of the time and its the main move to kill it (yeah lol)

Possible changes: Well, psong wiht dugtrio its a viable move, as well as ice beam to hit dragons... its just that im not enough brave to remove my refresh to try other moves :(

Xatu (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Trait: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 200 Def / 60 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Toxic
- Roost
- Psychic
- U-turn

Okay, xatu here is a bit standard, its bounces things ectect. I decided to use rocky helmet for just one pokemon, which is ferrothorn, so in this way i can ppstal its gyro ball and weaken it at the same time.. of course it does not have only this use but its the main one. Because its rain, i cant have heat wave so i had to rely on psichic, which isnt that good, anyway it hits those fighing and poison types... speaking of poison types, venusaur is one of the thing i need to hit. I lost once because i had nothing to outspeed the standard timid venusaur even under rain (lol) so i put enough speed to outspeed it.
Well then, toxic toxices things, like rotom-w on the switch or anything else that doesnt give a fuck about psichic, and u-turn grabs momentum and let me trap things. Standard.

Possible changes: I dont think there are many, feel free to suggest anyway.

Dugtrio (F) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Memento / Stone edge
- Stealth Rock
- Reversal

Again, standard thing. It traps things weak to ground such as Tyranitar (also thanks to u-turn xatu) Jirachi, Heatran and so on. It also trap ninetales because sometimes they think they are safe to do sunny day, thinking i send out politoed... and then they are dead. Anyway its vital to trap tyranitar because otherwhise my Hollow cant switch in on anything :(
Dugtrio has stealth rock, even though i rarely have time to click that move, so i was thinking about a solution (where?) but xatu also helps to bounce the one of my opponent so its ok. Reversal helps with Tyranitar and.. well nothing else i guess. Memento and stone edge are two things that im trying and im not sure which one is the best, Memento helps not getting setup fodder ect, but sometimes i seriously need to hit a dragon or something so i miss stone edge.

Possible changes: Basically, everything expect Earthquake is up to changes.

Tentacruel (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Rain Dish
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spd
- Toxic Spikes / Ice Beam
- Protect
- Scald
- Rapid Spin

Yeah an original set i know. Anyway Xatu cant always prevent stealth rock, so just in case it cant i always have my Tentacruel to spin shit. Standard speed (stardard for me at least) to outspeed Mamoswine, Dragonite and Breloom and hit them with the appropriate move. My team is a bit weak to dragon dance dragonite so i thought it was cool to bait it with ice beam, even though toxic spikes are usefull as well. I cant really decide, sometimes ts are useless and some other not, but i need an ice move somewhere...
Anyway i've also tought about a sub toxic set to beat jellicent and rotom-w which is a bitch but i've never really liked that set, protect its far better than sub, and if i sub while a ferrothorn switchs in i have to send xatu again ectect.
Well, what do i have to say, it walls some water types like keldeo and its a great pokemon under rain.

Possible changes: As i said, Ice beam and ts are up to changes

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Spikes
- Protect

Well well ferrothorn is my switch in for that fucking Dragon dance dragonite which is a bitch, and with this set it should be able to beat it. Leech seed is for longevity and to stall things like, Thundurus for example, and prevents being a complete setup fodder. Protect stalls out things toxiced or seeded. Spikes are spikes, a good thing to have when you have a ghost in your team. Gyro ball hits for neutral damage Dragons and its a strong move in general. The spread its standard, everything is standard. I dont think there isnt anything to change.

Shedinja @ Focus Sash
Trait: Wonder Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
- Protect
- Baton Pass
- Shadow Sneak
- Will-O-Wisp

There we go. Max speed because it lets me outspeed more thing, like choice band tyranitar, so that i can avoid pursuit and trap it with dugtrio. It also work on the switch of tyranitar, and be careful to double switch a shedinja if your opponent has a tyranitar, because it can kill it with the sand. Baton pass its a great move in general, we all know what it does, and its one of the moves i click the most because people tends to switch a lot against it the things that has some supereffective moves. If that thing is phisical, i can also burn it and render it useless, and anyway burning things is also its main way to deal damage. Shadow sneak its here just to fix my weakness to gengar and alakazam, and i rarely click it unless i have to finish off a weakened thing. Dont ever click this move if your opponent has Garchomp or ferrothorn. Ever. Protect lets me scout a supereffective move and its cool it that pokemon is choiced. Focus sash its good to have a second chance just in case you fail a predict against something. Basically i use it as a win condition where my opponent cant touch it and its forced to forfeit. So cute.

Conclusion:

Dont expect it to win everytime of course. Its a team builded for fun and for a personal challenge, so you shouldnt use it in important tours. Anyway if used correctly Shedinja can really do something so i invite you to try this team because its fun to use.

Importable:

SS TEAM DI GHOSTER (Shedinja) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Wonder Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
- Protect
- Baton Pass
- Shadow Sneak
- Will-O-Wisp

Politoed (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Toxic
- Scald
- Protect
- Refresh

Xatu (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Trait: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 200 Def / 60 Spd
- Toxic
- Roost
- Psychic
- U-turn

Tentacruel (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Rain Dish
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spd
- Toxic Spikes
- Protect
- Scald
- Rapid Spin

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Spikes
- Protect

Dugtrio (F) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
- Earthquake
- Memento
- Stealth Rock
- Reversal

Neliel

Sacred Sword
Threathlist:

Dragon dance Dragonite: It my ferrothorn is dead, i cant do much to beat it.

Tornadus: i dont have any switch in for hurricane, even though its rare and everything can take one hit.

Rotom-w If is has wow (like every time) its hard to beat. i have to toxic it and stall it.

Garchomp: Only because it can beat xatu and tentacruel if it has stealth rock (even though i can just spin later) and if it has fire fang it will break the sash of shed.

Landorus-t: The offensive variants its hard to beat. I try to burn it while it break my shed's sash and then i see what i can do.

Venusaur: If Xatu is dead, it outspeeds everything and i cant really beat it. I should have a dragon type somewhere, but i cant :(

Jellicent The only way is toxic..

This team is probably weak to so many things because half of your team is niche support that doesn't offer much defensive synergy. In addition to your threatlist I would add in SubSalacKion. I would suggest replacing dugtrio with ladndorus-t. Landorus is a back up check to practically your whole threat list. For rotom-w and venusaur I would use calm mind latias over xatu. Using sableye over shedinja will improve this too but I thing you will be opposed to that. Also use toxic over toxic spikes on tentacruel. If you want this to only be a fun team leave it but if you want it to really work use some changes.

In summary:
Politoed/Landorus-T/Latias/Sableye/Tentacruel/Ferrothorn

Another option would be bulky DD or restalk gyarados over tentacruel and donphan over landorus-t to protect against landorus-i.

PDC

street spirit fade out
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Half the stuff you suggested doesn't make the team any better, it just makes the foundation it is built upon worse. It is a niche / fun team, this is nothing that is super try hard amazing standard that is easily exploitable. It's a more uncommon fun team that not everybody can use. The whole point of the team is to have Shedninja cripple the team, it is basically a form of modified rain stall, but with Shedninja in their as a niche to cripple and wall certain threats completely to a, surprisingly, high efficiency.

Not too many suggestions for this team, but I do have a few smaller ones that I think will allow this team to work a bit better. It is pretty much impossible to solve all the threats that this team has without and overhaul, but luckily it doesn't have anything too major. I will focus on the more common ones to make sure it is most efficient. Venusaur and Dragonite seem to be the most problematic, as you have no definite way of beating them. Venusaur is more severe as it has time to setup more often. Although maybe not the very best solution, I can suggest trying Mamoswine over Dugtrio for a change. Not too sure how it will work due to the trapping your team needs to do, but I feel it may be a good enough possibility that it may work. Not too sure overall as I can't really make a drastic change, but I think Mamoswine still gets the job partially done while still setting Stealth Rock and revenging stuff like Dragons and Venusaur's.

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Good luck!

Hi! Fun idea and nice execution. My only problem with the team is a lack of a win condition per se. You have so much support for shedy, but once it is in it has absolutely nothing to do. May I suggest replacing it with a sd shedinja? That way, once its counters (ie. anything that can hurt it) are killed or weakened, shedy can proceed to acutally cause some damage.

The only real issue with this is losing a very good way to eliminate his counters, so much more double switching and the like is required.

Fun team though!

Shedinja @ Focus Sash
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Shadow Claw
- X-Scissor

Neliel

Sacred Sword
This team is probably weak to so many things because half of your team is niche support that doesn't offer much defensive synergy. In addition to your threatlist I would add in SubSalacKion. I would suggest replacing dugtrio with ladndorus-t. Landorus is a back up check to practically your whole threat list. For rotom-w and venusaur I would use calm mind latias over xatu. Using sableye over shedinja will improve this too but I thing you will be opposed to that. Also use toxic over toxic spikes on tentacruel. If you want this to only be a fun team leave it but if you want it to really work use some changes.

In summary:
Politoed/Landorus-T/Latias/Sableye/Tentacruel/Ferrothorn

Another option would be bulky DD or restalk gyarados over tentacruel and donphan over landorus-t to protect against landorus-i.
Well dugtrio can stop any sub set of terrakion, landorus-t isnt a necessity. Anyway im able to make this team better but of course i dont want, if this means i have to replace shedinja.

Half the stuff you suggested doesn't make the team any better, it just makes the foundation it is built upon worse. It is a niche / fun team, this is nothing that is super try hard amazing standard that is easily exploitable. It's a more uncommon fun team that not everybody can use. The whole point of the team is to have Shedninja cripple the team, it is basically a form of modified rain stall, but with Shedninja in their as a niche to cripple and wall certain threats completely to a, surprisingly, high efficiency.

Not too many suggestions for this team, but I do have a few smaller ones that I think will allow this team to work a bit better. It is pretty much impossible to solve all the threats that this team has without and overhaul, but luckily it doesn't have anything too major. I will focus on the more common ones to make sure it is most efficient. Venusaur and Dragonite seem to be the most problematic, as you have no definite way of beating them. Venusaur is more severe as it has time to setup more often. Although maybe not the very best solution, I can suggest trying Mamoswine over Dugtrio for a change. Not too sure how it will work due to the trapping your team needs to do, but I feel it may be a good enough possibility that it may work. Not too sure overall as I can't really make a drastic change, but I think Mamoswine still gets the job partially done while still setting Stealth Rock and revenging stuff like Dragons and Venusaur's.

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Good luck!
Hey thanks for the rate, you are right venusaur is a bitch to beat, i have to rely on xatu.. ill try mamoswine and tell you how it works thanks!

Hi! Fun idea and nice execution. My only problem with the team is a lack of a win condition per se. You have so much support for shedy, but once it is in it has absolutely nothing to do. May I suggest replacing it with a sd shedinja? That way, once its counters (ie. anything that can hurt it) are killed or weakened, shedy can proceed to acutally cause some damage.

The only real issue with this is losing a very good way to eliminate his counters, so much more double switching and the like is required.

Fun team though!

Shedinja @ Focus Sash
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Shadow Claw
- X-Scissor
Well shedinja does some fondamental roles such as baton passing to dugtrio tyranitar and maintain momentum in general, to be honest i dont think that a sword dance set would work, it also lacks of protect which is fondamental as well, and without baton pass its pursuit bait. If only it could have baton pass+sword dance i would use it ç_ç thank you anyway

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)