The Everything NFL Thread - 2012 Season (Up til 2013 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Georgia Dome isn't that bad of a stadium, but I personally don't like domed fields. If you got nosebleed seats, you won't really hear the loudness that the Dome is known for, which is kind of a shame.

Man, I don't really care what happens in the playoffs this weekend, aside from Baltimore winning. Heck, I kinda want New England to win too just so either Baltimore gets another chance at them or Denver destroys them.

Ancien Régime

washed gay RSE player
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
fully healthy RGIII in 3 quarters against Atlanta = 8-15 for 80 yards, 10 points
RGIII at 70% in one quarter against Seattle: 6-10, 70 yards, 2 TDs, 14 points

I kinda have a feeling it won't be close.

Why the hell would Griffin be some sort of measuring stick? You forgot to mention the million other factors. But Griffin alone makes those million other things meaningless right? Oh hey the Giants blew out the Packers and 49ers but got blown out by the Falcons so logically the Falcons will do the same. Bad logic.

The Georgia Dome isn't that bad of a stadium, but I personally don't like domed fields. If you got nosebleed seats, you won't really hear the loudness that the Dome is known for, which is kind of a shame.
Funny enough, I've been to a college game and been to a high school game at the Georgia Dome, but never a Falcons game. I know it won't be as loud as some other stadiums in the NFL (I've been to UGA's Sanford stadium, that's plenty loud) but expect to have fun nonetheless.

fully healthy RGIII in 3 quarters against Atlanta = 8-15 for 80 yards, 10 points
RGIII at 70% in one quarter against Seattle: 6-10, 70 yards, 2 TDs, 14 points

I kinda have a feeling it won't be close.
Not sure that's completely fair, the field was pretty soaked during that Atlanta game and possibly even in worse condition than during Sunday's game. Not to mention Garcon was out. Alfred Morris is probably the one back we've played most similar to Lynch, and he ran all over us that game. I can hope though.

Ryan Kerrigan, that bastard.

Also, Rob Ryan was fired!!!! Damn this is about the stupidest decision JJ has made in a while. That Cowboy defense was amazing when healthy. Seriously, even with several starters out they were pretty good. Not until about half of their starters(and most of their backups) went out did they start sucking. Worst of all the injuries were mostly in the middle of the defense. No DC would have been able to put a competent defense on the field after that. None. Seriously, after the season ended i realized the Cowboys have become the best team in the NFC East. They showed it this year imo. But this is extremely dumb. Continuity is needed. Now a new DC will come in and if they suck Garret will get fired. The cycle will continue.

I think Garrett pulled a Reid and fired Rob Ryan just to avoid the attention being on him since he has unable to properly coach in the 4th quarter during the middle of the season. Rob Ryan will be a DC again and make that team awesome.

As for RGIII, to have surgery to determine if you need further surgery doesn't sound so good. Shanny is probably praying and doing every miracle that RGIII will be able to rebound back quick as possible.

yond

mitt game strong
is a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
After seeing most recent post, AR is officially worse RGIII fanboys than Some Hero is an Eli fanboy.

Ancien Régime

washed gay RSE player
Well, it is a bit, and some hero's point about previous matchups not meaning much is somewhat valid (though the Giants are so streaky that you can't use them as a measure for anything because they could lose 50-0 and win 50-0 on successive weeks).

Anyway, my initial impression was quite wrong anyway, the Seahawks will likely do better against the Falcons despite this, and a win wouldn't surprise me, because the Falcons are exactly the team they are built to stop. It's just that the Redskins match up very well with that defense because they cannot defend zone read and play action because of how aggressive they are and the Falcons are more of a spread passing team and less of a PA running team. Ryan Tannehill and the Dolphins gashed them with PA and zone read early in the season. It's too bad Mike Turner isn't really any good anymore, and Matt Ryan is too slow to run zone read. Still, Wilson is streaky especially on the road and the Falcons are a good defense.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Posting to be part of the bewildered userbase that is confused over the firing of Rob Ryan. The Cowboys defense was better than it's been in years and that's with them having all their stars injured and playing 8th stringers. :(

"I inherited a team that was 31st in the league in defense and made them better," Ryan told ESPNDallas.com's Tim MacMahon. "I (expletive) made them a hell of a lot better. I'll be out of work for like five minutes."

Ancien Régime

washed gay RSE player
Scapegoat. Firing Ryan is a cover for why the most incompetent head coach in the NFL still has a job. Ryan isn't a great DC but he's not the problem.

B-Lulz

Now Rusty and Old
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
hearing 6-8 months for RG3 with complete ACL and LCL tears. sucks, never want to see that happen.

The worst part about all of this is all the stupid people who are going to go, "I told you so!" He got hurt because he made bad decisions and didn't know to throw the ball away and live to play another day. Everytime he took a big hit this year it was on a passing play where he was fighting for yards at all costs. The worst he took on a read option keeper was a good two handed push out of bounds.

yond

mitt game strong
I think he's a media darling that everyone has a crush on. So just the opposite. Only Giants/Cowboys fans don't buy it

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Little bit of both. ;[ I mean, I don't think anyone inherently wants to see him fail except 90-year-olds who still harbor extremely racist feelings. There are people who wish to see him succeed because of the potential for greatness he's shown and the sheer excitement surrounding him. The people who want to see him fail are because they want the Redskins to look all the more foolish for trading the farm to move up four spots in the draft to get him, I-told-you-so's about his injury history, because he's a media darling and they're sick of hearing about him.

Ancien Régime

washed gay RSE player
I think he's a media darling that everyone has a crush on. So just the opposite. Only Giants/Cowboys fans don't buy it
Well of course he's going to get love from the media - he's a charismatic, young, and exciting player who's playing at a Pro Bowl level at 22. But in the background are all the "serious commentators" and people who fancy themselves much trying to poo-poo his skillset, largely because it's not the "conventional way to win", even to the point of rewriting and ignoring history to do so, because his success didn't fit a certain "conventional" narrative.

Ask Rob Parker about saying something bad about RGIII and get canned for it. I don't want to see RGIII fail like this. I would like to have him on the Browns but that would make him a failure because it's what the Browns do to almost everyone that comes there.

Ryan Kerrigan, that bastard.

Also, Rob Ryan was fired!!!! Damn this is about the stupidest decision JJ has made in a while. That Cowboy defense was amazing when healthy. Seriously, even with several starters out they were pretty good. Not until about half of their starters(and most of their backups) went out did they start sucking. Worst of all the injuries were mostly in the middle of the defense. No DC would have been able to put a competent defense on the field after that. None. Seriously, after the season ended i realized the Cowboys have become the best team in the NFC East. They showed it this year imo. But this is extremely dumb. Continuity is needed. Now a new DC will come in and if they suck Garret will get fired. The cycle will continue.
The biggest problem with being a Cowboys fan is that all you can really do is rant about Jerry Jones, and get a "lol u mad" response in return, because basically all you are doing is whining about something "that your team can still win past". But god damn mammoth fucking rake STOP IT JERRY JONES.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Being elected to Pro Bowl =/= playing at Pro Bowl level. The Pro Bowl is a popularity contest and 50% of the players don't deserve to be there. Griffin had a decent rookie season, but it wasn't anything spectacular like Cam Newton's was. Speaking of Cam, I predict Griffin will have a similar second season to Cam's, with a rather inglorious falling back to earth.

Honestly I like the kid. For a 22 year old fresh out of college he's extremely well spoken and intelligent, as well as mature beyond his years. He's also an extremely talented athlete, able to do multiple things conventional QBs can't do. He is not, however, any better than a #8-10 QB at this point. Also, history has taught us time and time again that sensational rookie seasons are not always indicators of future success, and lackluster rookie seasons are not always indicators of future failure.

Let's see how RGIII does next season, and then we can judge him more accurately.

Sorry WB but you're way off base there. He led the #1 rushing offense in the league. Just because he isn't a traditional QB doesn't mean he wasn't one of the best this year. Guys like Griffin, Wilson, Cam and Kaep are going to change the way we evaluate QBs. Griffin was definitely better than 8-10 AT LEAST this year.

Also, the whole Sophmore Slump narrative for Cam is bogus. He definitely struggled the second half of his rookie year but if you look at his two years as a whole he has done incredibly well for a guy on a pretty shitty team.

Ancien Régime

washed gay RSE player
Ask Rob Parker about saying something bad about RGIII and get canned for it. I don't want to see RGIII fail like this. I would like to have him on the Browns but that would make him a failure because it's what the Browns do to almost everyone that comes there.
Rob Parker did not just say "something bad" about RGIII. He essentially called him an Uncle Tom because he didnt adhere to black "thug" stereotypes and implied that this alienated him from his "people"'. He was deservedly fired for implying that if a successful black person is not a jewelry wearing partyboy with a posse, as opposed to a well-spoken man from a military family who had a master's degree at age 22.

@WaterBomb - Newton actually raised his QB rating over last year, threw significantly fewer INTs on the same number of attempts, and had a better trecord than last year. All on a team that was collapsing at OL and WR and had leadership and playcalling issues. He did indeed start slowly, but all in all, the whole "Cam Newton regression myth" is just that, a myth. I'd be a tad disappointed if RGIII only repeated his performance from last year, though I'd like to see if he could keep up his passing efficiency keeps up at a 450 or 500 attempt volume.

As for racism, a lot of NFL fans are racist middle-aged whites. Certain narratives are pushed in sports, just as in politics, to appeal to those sensibilties (it's the same principle that keeps Fox News in business). Thus you get a Cam Newton Regression Myth or a Robert Griffin Cant Pass Myth so they can say "See, I knew those flashy (BAN ME PLEASE) apes were just flash in the pan one year wonders!" The unstated premise of those myths is that blacks are not smart enough to master the fundamentals of "pocket passing" and any success they have is the product of "gimmicks". It doesn't help in RGIII's case in that regard that he is compared to someone who has been billed as a "perfect" QB prospect.

yond

mitt game strong
Rob Parker did not just say "something bad" about RGIII. He essentially called him an Uncle Tom because he didnt adhere to black "thug" stereotypes and implied that this alienated him from his "people"'. He was deservedly fired for implying that if a successful black person is not a jewelry wearing partyboy with a posse, as opposed to a well-spoken man from a military family who had a master's degree at age 22.

@WaterBomb - Newton actually raised his QB rating over last year, threw significantly fewer INTs on the same number of attempts, and had a better trecord than last year. All on a team that was collapsing at OL and WR and had leadership and playcalling issues. He did indeed start slowly, but all in all, the whole "Cam Newton regression myth" is just that, a myth. I'd be a tad disappointed if RGIII only repeated his performance from last year, though I'd like to see if he could keep up his passing efficiency keeps up at a 450 or 500 attempt volume.

As for racism, a lot of NFL fans are racist middle-aged whites. Certain narratives are pushed in sports, just as in politics, to appeal to those sensibilties (it's the same principle that keeps Fox News in business). Thus you get a Cam Newton Regression Myth or a Robert Griffin Cant Pass Myth so they can say "See, I knew those flashy (BAN ME PLEASE) apes were just flash in the pan one year wonders!" The unstated premise of those myths is that blacks are not smart enough to master the fundamentals of "pocket passing" and any success they have is the product of "gimmicks". It doesn't help in RGIII's case in that regard that he is compared to someone who has been billed as a "perfect" QB prospe
The fact that you are making this a race argument AGAIN is outrageous. The statistics speak for themselves when it comes to RGIII's pure passing ability. His passer stats get a ridiculously high boost due to his tremendous running ability. Like I've said before, I'm not saying he's a bad 'player' but he isn't a top 10 passer outside of the play-action [which is so easy for him because of defenses tendencies to over-compensate for his running ability]. As far as how history speaks, there have been plenty of great black quarterbacks. Warren Moon, Steve McNair, Daunte Culpepper, to name a few have all been tremendous pure passing quarterbacks in their time. Maybe RGIII can get there in his career, I don't see why he can't, but as of right now he's rather pedestrian when defenses know he's going to passing. I don't think we'll ever see him dissect a defense methodically like Peyton Manning or Tom Brady, only because he'll never have too because of his running ability.

However, I'm on board with you that Cam didn't have a sophmore slump, but I also think his rookie season was much more impressive than RGIII's especially based on the talent level surrounding him on his roster compared to RGIII.

@ Wikey.

1.) Alfred Morris lead the #1 Rushing Team in the league. Cam Newton's Panthers were top 3 (if not #1 im too lazy to look it up) in rushing last year as well. Guys like Griffin, Kaep and Cam won't change anything. Cam was scouted similarly to McNabb[Although he was touted as better] , Griffin was compared to Michael Vick and Kaep hasn't really lit many fires yet tbh. I think Russel Wilson might change how people evaluate the height of a quarterback and it's importance to their success however. As far as top 10 Quarterbacks this year [for posterity of ranking RGIII @DM], I'd say: Peyton, Rodgers, Brady, Matt Ryan, Russell Wilson, Drew Brees and then RGIII probably (Ben was hurt too much and Eli was way too inconsistent even though both are probably top 5-6 QB's over the last 3 seasons).

Ancien Régime

washed gay RSE player
If I recall, RGIII only dropped off in terms of YPA outside play action situations, he still was accurate and threw for a decent amount of touchdowns. While obviously he gets more of his big plays off PA, the relatively lower YPA on non-PA situations does not necessarily mean he is a poor passer off play action. The Redskins have a mediocre OL when it comes to pure dropback passing and mediocre WRs outside Garcon. Therefore, they struggle mightily to get open against man coverage without play action, and RGIII often finds himself pressured quickly on pure dropback situations. This is also a reflection of playcalling, often those passes are quick screens and slants not because Griffin cant throw outside play action but because those passes set up other aspects of the offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)