Project The Dark Horse Project Redux

Shrug

is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion
LCPL Champion
approved by Macle
OP stolen from Ashley11 who hosted the previous one
art ripped from every DHP ever

Hey LC, the Dark Horse Project is back with a vengeance and coming for the ladder. The rules are simple: pick two unappreciated mons to build around, create a lordsquad with them and ravage the ladder. Doing so is not only fun but also can reveal mons with tremendously useful niches in the metagame, always a benefit. We'll have a leaderboard which we will update after the end of cycles so users can have something to compete over.

Here are our rules:

- Two mons on your team must be BOTH below B- (i.e, C+ and down) in the Little Cup Viability Rankings and below 3.41% usage.
- You must build a team with them as opposed to stealing one.
- You need to post here giving 1) your fresh ladder alt and 2) both your dark horse mons.
- Each cycle will last about 2 weeks.
- After you hit a peak, post a screenshot in this thread. Points will be given for specific ladder rankings, as well as bonuses awarded for being one of the highest climbers compared to your challenge peers. Also include a team importable (hidden please).
- After each cycle, the Leaderboard will be updated, and another cycle will begin; everyone's point total will be factored into the leaderboard.
- Discussion is greatly encouraged - share what works, what doesn't, what support is greatly appreciated for your mons.
- Friendly trash talk is not necessarily prohibited

When you post to sign up, please include the following:
Typical Showdown Username:
Challenge Ladder Alt:
Dark Horses Used:
Explanation For Mons:
Here, just include a brief description of what you hope your dark horses to do, how you plan to support them, etc.

Some Questions:
- What did your Dark Horse mons do for your team? Did they fulfill any niches untapped by any current common lc mons, or were they purely outclassed?
- How did your team support your DH mons, or how did your DH mons support your team?
- Would you use your Dark Horse mon again in another context, and would you recommend your DH mon to a user you like?

Have fun with this!

Last edited:

Shrug

is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion
LCPL Champion
Reserved for leaderboard!

Gold Ranking: scored over 1500 Elo on Lc ladder:
- ggggd (alt ggggd); Froakie and Cubone - Final Ranking TBD
- Goao (Goaofive); Numel and Machop - Final Ranking TBD

Silver Ranking: scored over 1420 Elo on Lc Ladder:

Bronze Ranking: scored over 1350 Elo on lc Ladder:

Last edited:
Typical Showdown Username: ggggd
Challenge Ladder Alt: alt ggggd
Dark Horses Used: froakie, cubone
Explanation For Mons:
both are extremely powerfull mons, but speed sucks. prob using a webs team

edit: im using froakie > clamperl bc clamperl is 4.6 usage

Last edited:

Holiday

on my best behavior
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Cheek Pouch
CP Dark Horse
Totodile and Karrablast AND Geodude
Totodile is super cute and Karrablast has No Guard Megahorn so that's kinda cool. They can both break walls decently well so I'm hoping to make them work together to open up a hole for another member to sweep. Geodude is for my boredom.

Last edited:
Infamyy
coco is shep
Finneon and Deerling
Both of these are pretty cool mons on VoltTurn. Finneon has the cool niche of being a Defogger with U-turn not named Vullaby (and thus not weak to Stealth Rock) and Deerling has Baton Pass + Sap Sipper Aromatherapy (which actually lets you cure status *and* give yourself an Attack boost at the same time) which makes it a neat cleric.

This is just me but spelling mistakes bug me. Specific not Speicific, I assume you just missed this.
RZL
RZL is Dark
Spinarak and Darumaka.
I enjoy using Sticky Webs and I have used Spinarak and I felt this would be a fun way to test out a new wallbreaker. Just to make it not another SWs team, I have decided to use Eviolite Spinarak to make it slightly more difficult as, it will not get webs up as consistently.
Spinarak @ Eviolite
Ability: Swarm
Level: 5
EVs: 196 Atk / 196 Def / 116 SpD
Impish Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Megahorn
- Sticky Web
- Cross Poison

Pawniard @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SpD / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brick Break
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Iron Head

Darumaka @ Choice Band
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 36 HP / 196 Atk / 76 Def / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Flare Blitz
- Rock Slide
- Superpower

Fletchling
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 156 HP / 196 Atk / 84 Def / 52 SpD / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- U-turn
- Overheat
- Swords Dance

Drilbur @ Eviolite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 212 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Slide
- Stealth Rock

Gastly @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 76 Atk / 36 Def / 196 SpA / 196 Spe
Naive Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Shadow Ball
- Sucker Punch
- Substitute

Last edited:
Where are the usage rates at tho?
Got it.
Resetting accounts.

Username: cellgoondude
Alt: Savage Impaler
DH: Meowth, Anorith
Explanation: So much HO. Anorith, setup. Meowth, Covet thief.

Last edited:

Shrug

LCPL Champion
quick update for y'all:
i'm using the 1760 stats for march, which i linked to in the thread and are also here. Find the viability rankings easy in the forms or else look for my link in the op. Good luck!

Reactions: RZL
tazzie
Floridian Army
spinarak, pumpkaboo small

Do we get more credit if we use a bunch of dark horses instead of just two?

ddddg already has points on it :(

Last edited:
Typical Showdown Username: Kingmidas
Challenge Ladder Alt:
Natu Shelmet 4 U
Dark Horses Used: Natu, Shelmet
Explanation For Mons: Hazards are good, getting rid of opposing hazards is good, doing both is better zzz.

thecrystalonix
gift of melody
binacle nd pumpkaboo large
binacle seems like a solid ss mon that is able to beat things like ferro unlike other ss'ers. pump as a nice spinblocker, not that good but can work on ho p nice with some nice hazard stacking nd 1 more speed than super can help not waste a bit of evs

Typical Showdown Username: Omastar42
Challenge Ladder Alt: Omastar43
Dark Horses Used: Numel and Buneary
Explanation For Mons: Numel's a really cool mon with a unique typing that it can use to set up Stealth Rock and hit hard with. Buneary is good cause Healing Wish is a great move to give mons a second life and turn battles around. This is especially good when paired with bulky sweepers like Timburr or Spritzee, as they can come in on things and then still sweep later.

eren

je suis d'ailleurs
Regular Ps Name: Slurmz
Alt: Indigenous
Mons Used: Lol, I cant build a trick room team for my life, changing to cubone totodile
Why?: Cubone and Totodile are lords.

E: Questions will be answered after ladder

Last edited:
Most of my TR teams already have 3-4 Dark Horses on them, but I want to try something different.

Typical Showdown Username: John76
Challenge Ladder Alt:
WaterlessHoneydew
Dark Horses Used:
Mantyke and Anorith
Explanation For Mons:
I feel like trying rain again. Mantyke is going to be my primary rain sweeper and a secondary setter. Anorith is another sweeper.

mad0ka

華々しい
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Deerling has Baton Pass + Sap Sipper Aromatherapy (which actually lets you cure status *and* give yourself an Attack boost at the same time) which makes it a neat cleric.
This is actually a glitch on smogon in singles, it actually only activates in doubles or triples when a teammate uses it. But by all means feel free to abuse it while its free :]

e: also
Typical Showdown Username: madoka
Challenge Ladder Alt: m4d0rk4
Dark Horses Used: Buneary + Bronzor
Explanation For Mons: Buneary honestly should be B- and have more usage & Bronzor is just a cool mon, also I already have a really good team with these two in them so it means I don't have to teambuild :}

Last edited:

Shrug

LCPL Champion
An explanation of the ranking system:
Bronze Rank will be given to someone who reaches 1350 Elo on the ladder and will be worth 1 point
Silver Rank will be given to someone who reaches 1420 Elo on the ladder and will be worth 2 points.
Gold Rank will be given to someone who reaches 1500 Elo on the ladder and will be worth 3 points.
Anyone who unseats a ladder all-star at the top will recieve an additional 1 point (this means peak #1)
The highest finisher in Elo a given cycle will be given a bonus point; second place will recieve a .5 point bonus.
Each cycle will have specific challenges that will afford point modifiers to keep this fresh.

Ps Username: Shrug
Challenge Alt: Chipotle fiend
Dark Horses Used: Goldeen, Aron
Explanation: Goldeen is a solid switch into Chinchou and other electric types with its functional immunity to electric attacks. I see potential in pairing it with fletch - drawn electric attacks will provide an oppertunity for Goldeen to come in and fire off Knock Offs. Aron hits absurdly hard and can boost speed with Rock Polish, making it a mon likely underappreciated in the meta.

edit: also pineco maybe

Last edited:

TruSwagblu

Banned deucer.
Typical Showdown Username: TruSwagblu
Challenge Ladder Alt: TruBluUgh
Dark Horses Used: Inkay and Remoraid
Explanation For Mons: Remoraid has a cool movepool and decent stats, and inkay of course because of contrary luls

Edit: okay they're really bad even with webs

Last edited:
Typical Showdown Name: SilentMango/LoudMango
Challenge Ladder Alt: PineappleMango
Dark Horses Used: Frillish and Trubbish
Explanation for Mons: Frillish looks like it could be a great spin-blocker and a nice bulky water that can switch into most water types except for Chinchou. Trubbish takes Knock Offs for Frillish and can set up Spikes+Toxic Spikes which Frillish can proceed to spin-block. Frillish could also run a veno-hex set with Toxic Spikes Trubbish.

apt-get

it's not over 'til it's over
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Typical Showdown Username: apt-get
Challenge Ladder Alt: Dark Horsefucker
Dark Horses Used: Dratini, Numel
Explanation For Mons: Numel is an offensive cleaner with Life Orb and 4 attacks, including flame charge
Dratini is a resttalker that deals with sun while boosting its defense with marvel scale. This variant uses flamethrower + dragon tail to phaze while beating steel-types and grass-types

Typical Showdown Username: Svalkenaeres
Challenge Ladder Alt: Sval bites LC
Dark Horses Used: Budew, Starly.
Explanation For Mons: Budew is a great spiker, with SP + Spikes and a decent speed. Starly is a Doduo-like with U-Turn, also sympatic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)