The Counterteam Tournament! - Round 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a suggestion for the next round. Once you've collected everyone's half-teams, you should post them all-(at the same time) In the Op, and Note that you may not change those Mons', but you may change there movesets. This will make it faster to get matches going, and be 100% fair.

Also, Good Luck Everyone!

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I actually second the idea for you not sending our respective opp our 3 mons until you received the team from both parties, otherwise your opp will have an unfair advantage by tailor suiting their mons before sending them in.

If you're unwilling to do that then and/or you already sent FLCL my team members, then id like to change my 3 mons that I sent snd wait for him to send me his half team first
so er my post? Meloetta<3 or you can just redo the round since the current way you're doing things is fucking awful.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Something I have just learned out: if you use mega charizard, the host doesn't tell you which one it is, even when I pushed him. This is going to be the tournament of charizard spam now.

Haruno

Something I have just learned out: if you use mega charizard, the host doesn't tell you which one it is, even when I pushed him. This is going to be the tournament of charizard spam now.
What's more important is that whoever sends in their half team first is at a disadvantage since the later person will just send in 3 mons specifically to counter his opp's three. The sensible way of hosting this tour would be to reveal the three mons when meloetta gets it from both sides for fairness' sake. But meloetta outright refuses to do so because doing it that way is "unfair"

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
What's more important is that whoever sends in their half team first is at a disadvantage since the later person will just send in 3 mons specifically to counter his opp's three. The sensible way of hosting this tour would be to reveal the three mons when meloetta gets it from both sides for fairness' sake. But meloetta outright refuses to do so because doing it that way is "unfair"
To be quite simple, if you want to do it like that, and your opponent agrees to do it like that, it is fine. In this round though, the fuck up as been done and it is impossible for the host to get around it now. In my opinion you should stop complaining about it and get on with your match, he already said he would use the rule starting in round 2.

Edit: Haruno you have derailed the thread enough and I'm not going to get into a petty argument with you. If you lose then maybe it was a little bit unfair, but if you were a good enough battler you should be able to get past the small advantage your opponent has anyway. Redo'ing a round for a tournament is something, personally, I have never seen done before on smogon and it would make Meloetta look completely irresponsible and stupid, and it is a hell of a lot of effort for something which, looking at the broad scheme of things, does not matter one little bit. This is why he will not redo the round.

Last edited:

Haruno

To be quite simple, if you want to do it like that, and your opponent agrees to do it like that, it is fine. In this round though, the fuck up as been done and it is impossible for the host to get around it now. In my opinion you should stop complaining about it and get on with your match, he already said he would use the rule starting in round 2.
Just redo'ing the round was the simplest way. Which he outright refused to do when it was suggested earlier before any games have been completed. So meh. If he fucked up the first round then it's his duty as the host to fix said fuck ups for fairness' sake.

How is anyone at a disadvantage if someone sends in their team first? The person that receives their opponent's team first will counter those three, that's the point of the tournament. Meanwhile, when the person receives their opponent's team, then they still have three slots to counter them (you're not sending in your entire team, just three). Again, the point of the tournament. Why does it even matter who gets what team first? You're both still countering half of each other's team in the end.

How is anyone at a disadvantage if someone sends in their team first? The person that receives their opponent's team first will counter those three, that's the point of the tournament. Meanwhile, when the person receives their opponent's team, then they still have three slots to counter them (you're not sending in your entire team, just three). Again, the point of the tournament. Why does it even matter who gets what team first? You're both still countering half of each other's team in the end.
Although that is true, the person who sends there pokes first Cannnot Change The First 3. This means that the second player can Change All 6 Of There Pokemon, and Send 3 of them to the Opponent.

Unfair, But Not So Unfair IMO

Although that is true, the person who sends there pokes first Cannnot Change The First 3. This means that the second player can Change All 6 Of There Pokemon, and Send 3 of them to the Opponent.

Unfair, But Not So Unfair IMO
Okay, so the person who gets their opponent's Pokemon first is free to choose 6 of their Pokemon. Great, so he can use Pokemon to counter those 3. Is he going to build his entire team around countering those 3 Pokemon? Absolutely not for obvious reasons. If he does? Who the hell cares? He didn't account for the 3 unknown Pokemon he will be up against that could potentially cause them trouble. As long as the person isn't stupid and sends in 3 Pokemon that carry the exact same counter for the opponent to just carry that one counter, it doesn't matter. Both players are still going to know half of their opponent's team. Furthermore, you're just sending in Pokemon, not movesets. The opponent has no idea what you're going to be using, which could easily throw them off-guard with surprise movesets.

So some of you should stop crying about this, please. It really doesn't matter when looking at the bigger picture. Grow a sack of balls, give the guy a break, and just play the game. :)

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Actually you're not. Let's say, for simplicity's sake, you choose Talonflame, Gliscor, and Mega Venusaur. You now know your opponent knows those Pokemon and has to counter them, so you must counter their counters with part of your remaining three teamspots.

Your opponent can receive them before they build a team, and then decide to be an awful person. They pick three Pokemon that will absolutely counter your Pokemon, let's say Heatran, Kyurem, and Mega Alakazam. You now know what counters they will use, but you should probably have already guessed at what they were going to use to counter and should have dedicated one or two spots to countering those potential counters. Yes, you now know definitively what they're going to use for counters, but now you have to dedicate all three of your remaining spots to countering their counters, instead of also using something to counter the rest of their team because oops! They only have counters.

Meanwhile, this evil opponent of yours has three spots to dedicate to countering your counters to their counters. So you have 3 teammates and 3 counters to their counters. They, on the other hand, have 3 counters to your teammates, and 3 counters to your counters of their counters.

Put more simply, A beats B which beats C which beats D.

Your team: DDDBBB

Their team: CCCAAA

In essence, they have a team dedicated to countering you. It's not major, but it does undermine the spirit of the tournament.

You now know your opponent knows those Pokemon and has to counter them, so you must counter their counters with part of your remaining three teamspots.
Sure.

Your opponent can receive them before they build a team, and then decide to be an awful person. They pick three Pokemon that will absolutely counter your Pokemon, let's say Heatran, Kyurem, and Mega Alakazam. You now know what counters they will use, but you should probably have already guessed at what they were going to use to counter and should have dedicated one or two spots to countering those potential counters.
You don't know what counters they will use unless they actually send you the counters they are using. Also, how is it possible to guess what they are going to use to counter the Pokemon you sent in, and then for some reason dedicating your remaining three slots to potentially carrying the right counters? If I'm using Talonflame, he can use either Heatran, Landorus-T, Tyranitar, Rotom-W, etc, to counter me. That's a big guess that needs to be made.

Yes, you now know definitively what they're going to use for counters, but now you have to dedicate all three of your remaining spots to countering their counters, instead of also using something to counter the rest of their team because oops! They only have counters.
You only know their counters if they explicitly sent you them. If they did, then you can use 3 Pokemon to counter them. Does your opponent know what those are? No. Does he have to make that guess you implied earlier? Sure. Next, if your opponent did not actually send in explicit counters, which you should pick up, then you know he has potential counters that you do not know about still. For example, if I send in Talonflame and he sends me Aegislash, Breloom, and Mega Venusaur, he obviously has some kind of Talonflame check/counter in his last 3 slots.

Meanwhile, this evil opponent of yours has three spots to dedicate to countering your counters to their counters.
Your opponent doesn't know what they are, so they could be way wrong. You actually don't need to hard counter everything your opponent sent, either. Checks work too. Surprise lure sets work too. Choice Scarfing something works too. It's all strategic teambuilding from their. Don't blatantly bait yourself to your opponent like that.

Anyways, that's all I'm going to say because this discussion is making my brain hurt and is more or less meaningless. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)