The Concert Thread

I was reading through the 2012 music thread, and I thought that concerts would make an interesting topic within itself. Not sure if this has been made before, but have at it.

This thread will be about your past concert experiences, upcoming concerts, etc.

So uh, discuss and whatnot.

pookar

Banned deucer.
raa been to dt/opeth/btbam in 2008, in 09 dt/zappa/scale the summit , in 10 opeth 20th anniversary i think and '11 rock the bells nyc.

also went to a few of my cousins gigs at clubs but nothing noteworthy

aaa concerts arent really my thing i dont talk 2 anyone or like to get rowdy

I've only been to a few. I went to the Disturbed / A7X tour, a recent Blink 182 / MCR tour, and BMTH / Parkway Drive. I'm hoping to go to some more because they were really fun. Always wanted to go to Warped, but have never been able to.

GOING TO BONNAROO 2012, LETS GET IT. :D

For those who don't know what Bonnaroo is, then heres the line up for this years.
http://lineup.bonnaroo.com/

03 - REO Speedwagon
05 - Rolling Stones
Lucky you, have fun lol.

I have seen Cut Copy, Royksopp, Docter P. and Flux Pavilion together and Crystal Castles.

I had an opportunity to see Tycho, but college was just starting back up and my schedule was kinda full.

Been to three.

Simon and Garfunkel, 2009.

Fleetwood Mac, 2010.

The Eagles, 2011.

My three favourite musical acts, three consecutive years. They call that a hat trick, kids. The Eagles concert was particularly amazing.

I saw Alice in Chains yesterday two years ago (February 26, 2010). They were hands down the best band I've seen live (I haven't been to that many shows). I actually got to meet Jerry Cantrell in the parking lot after the show. After William DuVall said goodbye to his friends, family, wife, and little infant kid, Will went back on the tour bus and Jerry came off the tour bus. Jerry Cantrell came out to sign autographs to fans. I got my Black Gives Way to Blue album signed. I only brought that album because I didn't have a car at the time and it was the easiest to carry because it was a paper sleeve.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I've long lost count or the ability to list them at will, but I've easily been to over 60 concerts and shows combined. My first ever was Weird Al Yankovic back when I was about 11 or 12, the first without my family was the Offspring when I was 15, and the most recent was when my buddies and I stumbled upon Biodiesel last Thursday night at a bar downtown. I've seen Cursive 4 times, the Appleseed Cast 4 (5?) times, the Life and Times, Minus the Bear, Built to Spill, and a ton of other great bands. Recently, I don't go as often and have missed MTB and Cursive on a few occasions because school rules my fucking life.

RODAN

Banned deucer.
time to embarrass myself

alright ive seen

weird al yankovic
green day
THE AMERICAN IDOLS SEASON 4

i saw ghostface a few months ago, but my city has an absolutely rotten hip hop crowd

then maybe a year before that i saw crystal stilts and beach fossils, that was twee

i think i've been to like four shows in the past three years, i sort of lost interest

junior

jet fuel can't melt steel beams
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
I'm going to lady gaga's born this way ball in June. Tix came like 4 days ago.

zorbees

Chwa for no reason!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
The only concert I've been to was the opening of Rihanna's loud tour. It was fun as fuck but I don't think I'm much of a concert person. It was especially cool because I got to go for free :D.

cookie

my wish like everyone else is to be seen
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
recently popped my concert cherry by seeing Rammstein. The problem is that now I'm going to compare every other gig to that which is a problem since not all of them have the stage lit up with fire and fake semen squirting everywhere...

shade

be sharp, say nowt
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
been to leeds festival twice and am probably going this year, seen a shitton of bands after those two!

seen foo fighters, rhcp, stereophonics, bombay bicycle club, noel gallagher's high flying birds in solo gigs

Concerts don't come here so I have to travel...

I've only seen one concert but it's one of my best memories :x I saw Yeah Yeah Yeahs in Sydney on their It's Blitz! tour a couple of years ago. It was one of their last shows and they still performed as energetically as if it was their opening night. Even my mom has fallen in love with Karen O. Everything they say about her is true. She is a magician on the stage.

Cooky

Banned deucer.
been to a lot of festivals and my group of friends tend to go to big club nights in like newcastle / leeds every 2 weeks ish, so ive luckily got to see some decent stuff

highlights off the top of my head

benga + skream, magnetic man and both individually (bengas better live shhhh)
flux pavillion
john digweed
massive attack - probably the best thing ive ever seen, they are a whole different beast when live you do not see it coming
thom yorke
jamie xx
shy fx
plastician (3 times now)

also go to outlook festival its sick, its done on a beach in croatia and the stages are in and around a ruined castle. big party

always wanted to see paul kalkbrenner, one day i will actually make it to melt

Concerts don't come here so I have to travel...

I've only seen one concert but it's one of my best memories :x I saw Yeah Yeah Yeahs in Sydney on their It's Blitz! tour a couple of years ago. It was one of their last shows and they still performed as energetically as if it was their opening night. Even my mom has fallen in love with Karen O. Everything they say about her is true. She is a magician on the stage.
ugh ugh ugh I am envious (except for having to travel for concerns lol, living near dallas is GREAT)

In terms of big artists, I've only ever seen Ra Ra Riot who I saw twice, they were kickass, they played their entire discography since they only have two albums lol. Their cellist is SO HOT OMG but I think she left the band so I'm very unhappy >:O.

Now, I actually live in Denton, where there is MUCH better musical acts. University of North Texas, surprisingly, is a really good music school so there are awesome local bands everywhere! To give some examples- every year we have Jazzfest, which is just all the local bands + crappy stand food basically. One local polka-fusion-thing band called the Brave Combo (who's actually won a Grammy) is from here and they always play in the Denton Square before Christmas, so I try to go then if I'm not busy with exams and stuff. I even live next door to a nationally ranked blues guitarist named Chris Watson, and I can see him and his band practice whenever I want!

I saw the Rush Time Machine Tour last year at the gorge ampitheater (biggest theater in WA i believe, absolutely amazing) with my friends on a big 3 nighte camping trip. It was absolutely amazing, close enough to the stage to be singed by the fireballs. Positively awesome despite the fact that it was like a 5mile walk back to the campground and the massive amounts of pot smoke in the air.

I'm always angry because I live in Portsmouth/Norfolk but go to school in Blacksburg, and AMAZING shows always come to the Norva when school is in session. I've missed The Sword, Kyuss Lives, The Atomic Bitchwax, Red Fang, Megadeth, and I'm about to miss Clutch (this is just off the top of my head; I'm sure I've missed plenty of other crazy good shows too).

I have seen Clutch twice already at least, those shows were on point. I don't make it to many festivals but I've been to my fair share of shows. I'd say some of the acts I've enjoyed most are Clutch, Blues Traveler, Grand Funk Railroad, and Kansas (though Kansas was opening for someone so their set was too short).

I've been to a few concerts and have seen many bands play.
It's been a while, but I remember enjoying Silversun Pickups live. My only complaint is they weren't the main act, and it was a huge location; I'd love to see them play in a small venue.
Kings of Leon play an excellent show, I swear that lead singer sounds better live than recorded; also, it's an amazing experience when you have hundreds of people singing to the chorus of "Sex on Fire."
Another band that really impressed me was Rise Against. They were really energetic and sounded great. And Tim Mcilrath comes off as a strong individual.
Finally, saw Cake about a week ago. Got within several feet of John McCrea and the rest of the band, due to the small venue. I was blown away, since I know every song, and I had a lot of fun.

Finally, saw Cake about a week ago. Got within several feet of John McCrea and the rest of the band, due to the small venue. I was blown away, since I know every song, and I had a lot of fun.
I saw them live new year's eve this year. I was blown away with how tight a live band they were. They sound even better live than they do in the studio.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)