ORAS Ubers The Anti-Meta Counterteam [90GXE, Top 30]

Knuckstrike

Hi I'm FIREEEE
is a Tiering Contributor
upload_2016-8-17_15-28-58.png upload_2016-8-17_15-29-7.png upload_2016-8-17_15-33-45.png upload_2016-8-17_15-41-10.png upload_2016-8-17_15-46-41.png upload_2016-8-17_15-54-38.png

Hiya, I'm FIREEEE!
When I started out ubers years ago, I found it to be the first really enjoyable tier with practically every mon having the opportunity to sweep an entire team of giants. After a hibernation period so to speak, I bring you my latest Ubers creation: a team that, unlike most other teams, doesn't necessarily try to make a late-game sweep happening but instead means to cut the legs out from under all six of the opponents' pokemon. It's specifically built to handle the 'big 6' uber teams that currently infest the middle to high ladder. I must warn you that it can be a tad matchup reliant: though it works very well against the average ladder team of Darkrai/Ekiller/Groudon/Xerneas/Yveltal/Filler, it's likely not a team that you'll want to enter in the finals of a big tournament against good people.

I really wanted to try out Jirachi in ubers as a great xern counter and pair it up with yveltal which can tear holes in any opposition. Those two might seem like the 'odd' choices for teams and sets, but I feel like they are what makes the team a bit surprising to face. Let's get to the bulk.

upload_2016-8-17_15-29-7.png
Arceus-Fairy @ Pixie Plate
252 HP / 168+ Def / 88 Spe / 0- Atk
IVs: 0 Atk
- Magic Coat
- Recover
- Judgment
- Calm Mind
Deals with:

A standard lead vs darkrai teams, Arceus-fairy is the team's main counter to the many attackers whose stabs don't do too much. Fairyceus is bulky enough to the point where many non-stab attacks don't 2hko, giving fairyceus free set-up opportunities and/or opportunities to recover off the damage. Though of course you'll likely want to limit your set-up to the lategame.
If you see any of the five pokemon listed above on the opponent's team, you'll want to keep arceus at a fair amount, especially against mence whose +1 double edge can do around 80%. Darkrai will usually be the opponent's lead of choice as my team on first sight doesn't seem to have a darkrai check: arceus isn't revealed to be fairyceus until the first turn starts.
Fairyceus is also a mon that can take a hit from anything and deal 40% back. If it isn't vital to have alive, it might be worth it to widdle down a primal just a tad for some damage on fairyceus in order for yveltal to finish it off.
Note that fairyceus only really beats Darkrai easily with the right prediction, since sludge bomb can still do a bunch.

upload_2016-8-17_15-54-38.png
Yveltal @ Choice Specs
4 Def / 252+ SpA / 252 Spe / 0- Atk
- Dark Pulse
- Focus Blast / Heat Wave
- Oblivion Wing
- Foul Play / U-Turn
Deals with:

The main wallbreaker of the squad, yveltal is here to deal major damage to anything that doesn't directly counter it. With it you'll be spamming a combination of Dark Pulse and Oblivion Wing most of the time, with Dark Pulse being the stronger option but Oblivion Wing giving some health back if you need to live one or two more hits of stealth rock. Yveltal is also my main way of damaging pdon which is a big threat to the team. Pdon takes around 90-65% from dark pulse depending on the set, and it's almost always worth trading a hit with it, or getting parad for 80% damage.
The mons that can take two hits from dark pulse/oblivion wing are either Xerneas, which jirachi is for as a complete counter, and mons like Klefki/Ttar which might not appreciate the coverage move in the second slot.
Choice specs is chosen over life orb since the role of yveltal on this team is to spam one of its two stabs as much as possible and life orb recoil makes the healing of oblivion wing neglegible. Yveltal struggles taking hits so much more if it's at 80% compared to 100%.

upload_2016-8-17_15-33-45.png
Jirachi @ Leftovers
252 HP / 52 Atk / 196+ SpD / 8 Spe / 0- SpA
- Thunder Wave
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- Wish / Healing Wish
Deals with:

This specially defensive monster is here to paralyze and check a lot of the special attackers in the tier. It can take a special hit from anything and spread some yellow magic, rendering them almost useless. The combination of putting up rocks, healing its team and check/countering Xern is something only Jirachi can do. Mons such as Mewtwo, Xerneas, Dialga and Deoxys all don't appreciate this monster and while some of them carry a fire type move, Jirachi is bulky enough to take a hit, click twave and either get up rocks or iron head flinch them to death.
The EV's are to take 2 +2 hits from Xerneas pretty much no matter what, meaning you can click twave, iron head and get up rocks even on a switch in to geomancy. Attack EV's are to 2HKO Xerneas. Jirachi is the dedicated Xerneas answer and doesn't have to be at 100%, though it's usually best to not take it out too much before Xerneas comes out first.
Wish/healing wish is why this is preferred over a mon like Bronzong, plus Jirachi is more bulky. The team doesn't have a dedicated sweeper so wish can be more useful, though healing wish is an option if you like to play it a bit more offensively, or if the team is changed to be more offensive.

upload_2016-8-17_15-46-41.png
Gengar @ Gengarite
240 HP / 16 Def / 252+ Spe / 0- Atk
- Substitute
- Sludge Bomb
- Destiny Bond
- Taunt
Deals with:

Though this team is meant to deal with all popular threats, a showstopper is needed to prevent mons like non-jolly Arceus and a boosted primal from sweeping my team after the right checks are weakened. Gengar's ability to deal with any slower mon is essential as a blanket check to many threats, plus combined with Yveltal it gives the necessary means to deal with stallish teams. The espeed immunity helps a lot too. With sub/destiny bond you have the possibility of getting up to 5 predictions right to deal with a specific threat, while sludge bomb widdles them down if they predict wrong on a sub. This mon needs as little gimmicks as possible: stopping a single threat is Gengar's purpose.
An additional help is that gengar can finish off +2 Xerneas' if Jirachi decides to get off sr and doesn't get a 70% flinch. It can deal with other low health threats too if they kill one of mine, preventing a possible healing wish later.
All in all, Gengar is used at a moment where the rest of the team fails.

upload_2016-8-17_15-28-58.png
Giratina-Origin @ Griseous Orb
208 HP / 252+ Def / 48 Spe / 0- SpA
- Defog
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
- Dragon Tail
Deals with:

Another blanket check to a lot of things, similar to Gengar, is Giratina. Being able to stop most sweeps bar Xerneas sweeps, it serves as the team's main check to ekillers and as an emergency stop to double dance Groudon. Having defog on Giratina means there's a moveslot left on fairyceus, plus Giratina deals with Excadrill way better anyway.
Pain split is an unreliable method of recovery, but it's also used as a means to get off damage on mons such as Groudon which try to widdle Giratina down. Always gauge the risk vs reward when in a widdle war with a pdon, if there's a possible jolly ekiller in the back and Gengar hasn't mega-evolved yet, it might not be wise. Will-o-wisp helps immensely with widdling down threats too.
My team isn't incredibly focused on setting up rocks. Though it does have the possiblity if Xerneas comes out early, getting rid of hazards on both ends is often worth a bit of damage as Giratina can still check a +2 arceus.

upload_2016-8-17_15-41-10.png
Zekrom @ Choice Scarf
4 HP / 252+ Atk / 252 Spe / 0- SpA
- Bolt Strike
- Outrage
- Volt Switch
- Tailwind
Deals with:

Ah, finally we come to the only speedy mon on the team. Zekrom is a mon best kept for the lategame when Jirachi has dealt with Xerneas and the Groudon has been weakened. The closest thing this team has to a late-game sweeper, Zekrom can clean up after everything has died with powerful outrages and not too reliable Bolt Strikes. Fortunately Kyogre isn't too common on teams nowadays, but if you are facing one, Zekrom is the only real counter/check on the team (though yveltal beats it too).
Adamant is chosen over jolly as the only thing it could outspeed with jolly is other scarf zekrom and deoxys, both of which are dealt with alright by the team.
In the middle and early game, you should use Zekrom as a means to scare out otherwise dangerous mons like Ho-Oh and Kyogre, so that late-game they are forced in a 1v1. Switching in on a Kyogre or Ho-Oh is possible as Zekrom doesn't mind a bit of damage but not recommended, as a predictive ice beam or sacred fire burn can mean the end of one of your very few bird/ogre checks, meaning gengar will likely have to sacrifice itself.

Threatlist:
-- Jolly ekillers with shadow claw can deal with gengar if it's not mega-evolved. Giratina is always a counter but can get weakened to the point where it can only phaze it out.
-- Widdle is the key word here. Yveltal gets off an 80% hit, but if the opposing Groudon user doesn't let me it can be tough to widdle it down enough, and Gengar might be needed for something else.

Creativity -- Against a well-built team of a strong opponent, I always see I still have a lot to learn :]

Fuk deoxys (Giratina-Origin) @ Griseous Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 208 HP / 252 Def / 48 Spe
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
- Dragon Tail

Fuk yveltal (Arceus-Fairy) @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 Spe
Bold Nature
- Magic Coat
- Recover
- Judgment
- Calm Mind

Fuk xerneas (Jirachi) @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 52 Atk / 196 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- Wish

fuk kyogre (Zekrom) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bolt Strike
- Outrage
- Volt Switch
- Tailwind

Fuk chansey (Gengar) @ Gengarite
Happiness: 0
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Sludge Bomb
- Destiny Bond
- Taunt

Fuk aegislash (Yveltal) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Oblivion Wing
- Foul Play

upload_2016-8-18_19-38-20.png

upload_2016-8-18_19-38-56.png

Last edited:
Love the team Knuckstrike!

One thing I have noticed is that steel pokemon are quite a huge threat if Yveltal is out of the picture. Any bulky steel type is quite an issue, which can switch in on a zekrom mid-outrage or completely wall out gengar / arceus-fairy. Jirachi as well can't really do much damage either, leaving Yveltal as your only real counter.

As for a check, I'd suggest running fire punch on Jirachi over stealth rock. Although not a perfect counter since you're getting rid of stealth rock, with some clever switchins and predictions, you can use magic coat to bounce back an income stealth rock. Nice team though, happy playing!

Hello, congrats on your peak; I'd like to give you a rate.

You have no good check to Primal Kyogre (nothing really switches into it), Ho-Oh and you have some kind of uncommon sets.

First of all, I would replace Jirachi by a SR Primal Groudon, as it can more reliably check Xerneas and is pretty much necessary on most Ubers teams.

This FairyCeus set is uncommon and quite weird, and I would replace it by Arceus-Water as it checks Ho-Oh and is pretty cool.

I would also change Zekrom to CB Ho-Oh to check Darkrai better which is quite a threat to your team.

Now regarding sets, Specs Yveltal isn't really a thing, that Gengar set is also uncommon, while Pain Split Gira-O is just bad.

I would use a Defensive version of Yveltal, an offensive set for Gengar and change Gira-O's spread and Pain Split.

Groudon @ Red Orb
Ability: Drought
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Precipice Blades
- Lava Plume
- Roar

Arceus-Water @ Splash Plate
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Recover
- Toxic
- Ice Beam
- Judgment

Ho-Oh @ Choice Band
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 196 Atk / 52 SpD / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Sacred Fire
- Earthquake
- Sleep Talk

Yveltal @ Charti Berry
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Toxic
- Taunt

EVs: 248 Atk / 248 Def / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Defog
- Shadow Sneak
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquke

Gengar @ Gengarite
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Destiny Bond
- Sludge Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Taunt

I hope I helped you, have fun.

Hi there!
I'm not really an expert on ubers but I have a few suggestions for this team that I think would really improve it. First, you could use sleep talk over tailwind on zekrom. This allows you to check darkrai better, as bolt strike ohkoes while outrage kills after rocks. Perhaps more importantly, this allows you to replace magic coat on arceus-fairy and use earth power instead. As some of the other raters pointed out, you are rather weak to bulky steel types, and earth power will help with that, also turning fairyceus into a fearsome wallbreaker. If you want to check ekillers better, I would suggest running protect over sub on mega gengar so that you can take down even jolly ekillers with destiny bond. You could possibly change yveltal to the more standard life orb and use a rash nature with u-turn to form a neat core with mega gengar. Anyway, nice team and i hope I helped!

Knuckstrike

Hi I'm FIREEEE
is a Tiering Contributor
Hiya ty for the rates ppl. A steel coverage move actually seems like a good idea on fairyceus if you put sleep talk on darkrai, thanks.

Also earth dude you cant just give me a new team of 6 mons and tell me to use that one.

Hai there,

I noticed that the rates above were either something too drastic for you, or rather weird suggestions, so I thought I'd give you a rate of my own.

When I looked at your team, I immediatly noticed that you lack a Darkrai switchin.
Whenever you take a kill, or it comes in on a pokemon other than Arceus-Fairy, something is going to bed.
You also seemed to lack a Ho-oh switchin, and one for Thunder Wave since I noticed there was no Primal Groudon.
With all due respect, the team, due to weird sets and lack of several switchins, I found it lacking, so began rebuilding, while keeping the team as much in tact as possible.

Changed Pokemon

Zekrom
I wanted to fit something on the team that could switch into a dark void/hypnosis, without caring too much.
Since this is a team that utilizes the balanced playstyle, I liked Ho-oh > Zekrom as an option.
The choice band set (3 attack + sleep talk) gives you a solid switchin, and allows you to hit pretty much every non-rock type hard.
It doesn't allow pokemon like Primal Kyogre to switchin, as it proceeds to get 2HKO'd by Brave Bird.
On top of this, it provides you with a way of dealing with bulky steel types, as well as giving you a secondary Xerneas answer, assuming it's not carying Hidden Power Rock.
Ho-Oh @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Sacred Fire
- Earthquake
- Sleep Talk

Yveltal
Now with Ho-oh being a hard hitting mon, I felt like the neccesity of choice specs Yveltal began to fade.
The only thing it does is make the team even weaker to Stealth Rocks.
Looking at the threats you mentioned above, I figured Mega Sableye > Yveltal was perfect.
Not only does it deal with all the, by you mentioned pokemon, but it provides perfect support for the rest of the team.
Especially Magic Bounce is useful here, as it helps Ho-oh in disallowing rocks on your side of the field, as well as making Darkrai users unable to spam Dark Void.
This pokemon handles Arceus-Normal extremely well, which you mentioned was a big threat for this team.
Sableye @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Fake Out

Mega Gengar
Since Sableye is now the mega of the team, Gengar obviously had to be replaced.
Since you had no Primal Groudon yet, I went with Primal Groudon > Mega Gengar.
Apart from Ho-oh, this gives you another great way of dealing with steel types, as well as a solid Primal Kyogre check.
Primal Groudon is almost a neccesity on every ubers team due to its fantastic stats, ability, typing, and the possibility to fullfil various roles.
I made this your Stealth Rock setter, instead of Jirachi, so that Jirachi won't be weakened to the point where it no longer checks Xerneas, just to get up rocks.
Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 248 HP / 124 Atk / 68 SpD / 68 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Precipice Blades
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock

Swords Dance is there so that Primal Groudon can act as a wallbreaker for the team.

Changed Sets

Jirachi
Since Jirachi no longer needs to carry Stealth Rock, I suggest using Protect > Stealth Rock.
With your Jirachi already running Thunder Wave, you have no need for Body Slam.
Protect allows you to get health back rather safely, and to scout out the sets of others.
Jirachi @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Iron Head
- Protect
- Wish

Arceus-Fairy
With the addition of Mega Sableye to the team, there no longer is any reason to keep Magic Coat on Arceus-Fairy.
Since the team still is a bit weak to a free Ho-oh, I suggest going with Stone Edge > Magic Coat.
With Stone Edge now being there, I don't deem it wise to keep running Calm Mind.
You can go with either Earth Power, Fire Blast, or Toxic, but since you have two solid options of dealing with steel types now, I'd suggest Toxic > Calm Mind.
I also changed the EV spread a bit, to a more defensive one, granting it more bulk, which is a neccesity.
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Recover
- Stone Edge
- Toxic
- Judgment

Giratina-O
Last, but not least is Giratina-O.
This team's way of getting rid of rocks, as well as being a secondary Arceus-Normal check.
I saw you mentioning your set to be able to deal with Deoxys-Attack, however, I think this is a false statement.
Giratina-O gets easily whittled, putting it in range of Ice Beam or Psycho Boost before you know it.
I'll post some calcs below to back-up my statement.
252 SpA Life Orb Deoxys-A Ice Beam vs. 208 HP / 0 SpD Giratina-O: 328-387 (66.5 - 78.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Deoxys-A Psycho Boost vs. 208 HP / 0 SpD Giratina-O: 380-448 (77 - 90.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I think it's for the best to go with a physical Giratina-O set.
Shadow Sneak > Will o Wisp allows you to deal with bulky psychics with a mon other than Sableye.
This is able to take out Deoxys-Attack as well, as well as deal heavy damage to Mega Gengar, to which it would lose with your current set.
Further I'd suggest Shadow Force > Pain Split.
Shadow Force is physical Giratina-O's main stab, which hits everything hard.
Earthquake is another option, which allows you to hit Primal Groudon and Klefki harder.
It's an option, but not a neccesity.
I changed the EV spread as well, since Giratina-O actually has moves now to hit others for damage.
The current one is kind of suboptimal, and to be honest, I don't really get what it does.
Adamant Nature
- Defog
- Shadow Sneak
- Dragon Tail
- Shadow Force

This rate was a long one, but I'm glad I did it.
The team should function a lot better, and it might be tournament viable now.
It is still your team however, but this is what I'd do with it.
Good luck with your team, hope I helped.

EDIT
I forgot to give you an import with all the changes I made, so I'll post that here.
Adamant Nature
- Defog
- Shadow Sneak
- Dragon Tail
- Shadow Force

EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Recover
- Stone Edge
- Toxic
- Judgment

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Iron Head
- Protect
- Wish

Ho-Oh @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Sacred Fire
- Earthquake
- Sleep Talk

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 248 HP / 124 Atk / 68 SpD / 68 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Precipice Blades
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock

Sableye @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Fake Out

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)