The 2010-11 Football/Soccer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Predicting chelsea to draw at arsenal or else win by 1. Its snowing which means arsenal are going suck it up, and drogba has looked decent recently. Also Tottenham @ Villa seems a likely candidate for a draw, 1-1 or 2-2 imo.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I assume you're vehemently opposed to this, phalanx? After all the rimes you've condemned Man City for their spending habits you wouldn't want your beloved club to become 'just like them,' would you? Or is the draw of some big naming signings too much ?

well, united never need to sign 6-7 superstars at a time, that is the huge differance, and i want the glazers and thier stupid debt out of here. look at how much united spend on players, they have a 50 million budget in january, and probably will not use it all. while city throw what? hundreds of millions in and buy 5-6 big names?
united will buy 1 or 2 big names, united are linked with Reina from liverpool.
and fergie is known for his bargain buys anyway so not much will change in the quantity, but with a bigger budget, united can outbid city on that ONE player they want every time.
i'm opposed to buying the title, united have no need to buy the title.
and arsenal 3-1 chelsea
united are SIX points clear from chelsea and have a game in hand, which is a good thing, as i see Arsenal dropping more points then chelsea push comes to shove. and city are lingering like a bad smell rather then a title threat

yeah 3-1 win for Arsenal. Chelsea were awful to be honest, and the second and the third goal just show how much they've fallen back; Chelsea players were making school-boy mistakes. Chelsea did play really bad, but Arsenal played really well, controlling the ball most of the time, and creating chances.

Pretty bad game overall.

EDIT: The Glazers are never going to sell Man Utd :P

Myzozoa

My interpretation of that game was completely different than yours nesforalto. Chelsea wasn't playing amazing, but they weren't terrible at all. The main thing I see is that Chelsea's front- malouda, drogba, kalou, don't look as fast as they did in the first weeks of the season. Its really noticeable, the speed and energy difference between the game they just played against arsenal and the game they played against arsenal at stamford bridge earlier this year. In that game you could tell arsenal's defense and midfield couldnt handle how fast chelsea was moving, and it led to a lot of intercepted passes and tons of possession ofr chelsea, that wasn't really happening for them at all today, and arsenal got forward all the time. Chelsea weren't making dumb mistakes- or at least that wasn't why they lost.

I can't believe Liverpool lost to Wolves at home :( I'm honestly fed up with Roy Hodgson; he's had the job for a while now, and he had his chances, we should get a new manager, someone like Kenny Dalglish.

Also, some people are saying Benitez might return to Liverpool, and even Chelsea =o

nesforalto
Nosferalto

liverpool were dire, not the managers fault if the players underperformed, but these recent results have thrown the entire bottom half of the table into a relegation fight

Myzozoa

RVP is in great form right now, so until he gets injured again Arsenal should be spectacular. I'm really hoping that Steve Bruce's rationale for benching Gyan today was that he was resting him, not that he is the 3rd striker option. Gyan has been very classy as a substitute this season, but I feel that if im a manager, Gyan is far to good to pass up on if I can start him, I feel the same way to a lesser degree about Theo Walcott.

the way RVP thew himself down after that slight nudge he will porbably shatter into a thousand pieces on impact :P

Van Persie is a clever dude and an excellent player, even though he missed 2 very easy chances to score in that 3-0 win against Birmingham.

Liverpool won 2-1 against Bolton and Joe Cole scored the winning goal in the 93 min. Less pressure for Roy Hodgson but I'm still not sure if he's the man for the job. He might be the kind of manager who needs a while to get used to things, so I'm probably wrong =P

Rooting for Aston Villa against Chelsea, I have a feeling they can beat them. 1-1 at half time now.

EDIT: Right from the start of the second half 2-1! I was sure :)

EDIT 2: EXCELLENT second half; 3-3. Game of the season?

United so far have made a very solid season, while Man City keeps catching on. That said, the one Team that could really take the lead and keep it for good are Arsenal.

Being a United fan, I pray for good results on the pending games which would yield a solid lead over Arsenal and Man City.

Also, Inter is just not cut for Rafa Benitez. Liverpool's his place, he literally built the Team that's today in Anfield. He'll return eventually, and hopefully make Liverpool nore competitive.

that first penalty was soft to say the least :P
man city have played more games then everyone else, if all games in hand are won, city would be 3rd

I highly doubt Arsenal could hit top of the table and keep it for good unless they bring in a quality centre back or two, which is unlikely given how Wenger hates spending money. While I appreciate the way they play, it can be so infuriating at times, and when the other team knows how to play against them they have can have such a hard time breaking through (see: any game against the top sides in recent years bar this recent win over Chelsea; any game against Big Sam's Bolton). In fact, Spurs have been far more entertaining this season, which I find pretty amusing.

As interesting as the title race is, what's most impressed me this year has been the sides just outside of that, namely Bolton, Sunderland, and Blackpool. Speaking of Blackpool, valiant effort against City, whose inability to get a second would have been costly if not for a couple of superb stops from Hart.

Lol'd when I heard the Chelsea/Villa score, even moreso upon remembering Alan Shearer backing Chelsea for the title on Match of the Day after their win over Bolton. As great a player as he was, he really is a dire pundit.

a good player? he went to newcastle to win things, turning down man utd in the process, what did he win? o yea NOTHING :p
chelsea sit 5th, arsenal have a habit of dropping points against lower teams aka wigan :P

Also, Inter is just not cut for Rafa Benitez. Liverpool's his place, he literally built the Team that's today in Anfield. He'll return eventually, and hopefully make Liverpool nore competitive.
Do you know what Rafael Benitez did to his Liverpool squad? He basically took a Champions league winning squad that Gerard Houllier assembled, and whittled it down to a 7th place (I think) finish before he got sacked. Rafa did a horrible job and I blame it all on him that Liverpool lost their edge tbh.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
a good player? he went to newcastle to win things, turning down man utd in the process, what did he win? o yea NOTHING :p
chelsea sit 5th, arsenal have a habit of dropping points against lower teams aka wigan :P
you did NOT really just doubt shearer's credentials did you? he won loadsa stuff at Newcastle...off the top of my head; premiership's all time highest goalscorer, premier league player of the decade, outstanding contribution to the premier league, record for most goals ever scored in a single season, the England captaincy and an OBE. he obviously came here because it's his hometown club and that still means something to some people...I know that must be hard for a man utd fan to understand. ;p

Do you know what Rafael Benitez did to his Liverpool squad? He basically took a Champions league winning squad that Gerard Houllier assembled, and whittled it down to a 7th place (I think) finish before he got sacked. Rafa did a horrible job and I blame it all on him that Liverpool lost their edge tbh.
rafa won the champions league with a squad that wasn't neccesarily good enough to do so, he also finished runner-up in the league which is pretty hard to imagine right now. He did a great job.

Being a Spurs fan, I am very happy with their league postition. The Chelsea match was a really good game, lol at the last 2 goals, but I feel that the north london derby was more entertaining. RVP's first goal was a monster fluke, and the last goal was avoidable, but nasri put on an amazing display. Obertan of man U had a good game too.

Kinneas

puffoon
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
you did NOT really just doubt shearer's credentials did you? he won loadsa stuff at Newcastle...off the top of my head; premiership's all time highest goalscorer, premier league player of the decade, outstanding contribution to the premier league, record for most goals ever scored in a single season, the England captaincy and an OBE. he obviously came here because it's his hometown club and that still means something to some people...I know that must be hard for a man utd fan to understand. ;p
I was going say something about those Shearer comments, but I had a feeling Lee would be just around the corner ready to defend. Just because he didn't win trophies at Newcastle does not make him a bad player, and the long list of achievements that Lee has already listed off are a testament to how great of a career he had. Even as a Man United fan, I have a great respect for players who stand by their home club instead of chasing glory and wage packets.

Also stopping by to say that I love watching Spurs play at the moment. They're the most exciting and creative team in the Premier League on and off the pitch. Van Der Vaart and Gareth Bale have been incredible all season, and Harry Redknapp is hilarious in post match interviews. Right up there with Mick McCarthy as most entertaining manager of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)