Terrorist Attack on Mumbai

fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck
That's pretty much what I can think of right now. I don't live very far from there and I'm pretty freaked. No one I know was hurt, but this is very scary.
You'd never think this kinda stuff could happen until it actually does.

Just read that on the newspaper. I've always imagined the tourist-parts of India as quite safe but this kind of stuff is not cool. Has it been confirmed how many died?

Echo said:
Has it been confirmed how many died?
Around 101 have died i think... As the battle b/w Police forces and the Terrorists is not over yet, nothing can be confirmed...

101 killed and 200 injured. The battle is going on and nothing is confirmed yet. The battle is over on one of the hotels but there are over 150 hostages in the other. The best cops have lost their lives.

Apparently they struck areas that are known for western tourists and passport holders. They simultaneously attacked many populated areas like hospitals, hotels and restaurants.

There's still a stand off happening in one of the hotels, no one knows how many people or terrorists are inside, and gunshots are still being heard.

This is bad.

I wasn't planning on writing in this thread, but I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the following yet:

in one of the hotels, reports are they asked tourists for their passports and executed any british or american citizens.

Nate said:
reports are they asked tourists for their passports and executed any british or american citizens
6 foreigners are dead as per the news, but they didn't report that yet...

I'd like to offer here my condolances to anyone who may be cought up in this mess. I don't like to this sort of stuff really, I mean I know everyone hates terrorism and all that but it just irks me that they feel they need to impose their way of living on us. Mind you though thats probably a westerners point of view really, I mean why should we try to impose democracy on them, I guess maybe I can sympathise with our view because we don't use military force... oh wait

Well yes lets start off with Pakistan, but any where that doesn't have a democracy the western world views as if they're doing the wrong thing. Some contries work well under a moderate dictatorship and we are yet to learn that. Democracy isn't the "perfect" political system that a lot of the western world seems to think that it is.

Democracy is certainly better for the people of the country though, even if the system isn't very perfect. But let's not turn this into a politics. 40 more were killed today. Who are these guys and why the fuck are they doing this?
They are just killing people, they haven't made many demands yet.

I can pretty much see this stand off going on until everyone in the hotel, including the terrorists, are dead.

Democracy is not the best but is certainly better than dictatorship or military rule.
Not always in my mind, but we can disagree forever on this sort of thing with zero resolution.

Anyway, this appears to be what I like to refer to as "<Random Terrorist Group> attempt to start a nuclear war in the middle east" - get some Pakistanis to blow something up in India. Phase 2 will be to get some Indians to blow something up in Pakistan..

O gee, what a coincidence that right after we elect a president that wants to blow the fuck out of Pakistan, they country gets blamed for some terrorism.

They are finding more and more dead and injured currently. At least, most news reports are saying, 110 people are dead while 300 are injured/in fatal condition.

The attack is still going on I presume? The terrorists are from Pakistan, and they are assassinating any foreigners, but mostly Americans and British. 8 militant officials, and the heads of some squadrons, and leaders of the Indian police have been killed. They have entered the hotel to free the hostages...

They are also planning on attacking Belgium :O
I'm a bit worried because they seem pretty serious,sorry if I'm to off topic.

Last night I was watching the news three hours after the start of the attacks, apparently by a group called "Deccan Mujahideen", who sent messages to the media claiming responsibility for the attacks. When watching a bit later last night, there were about 80 confirmed dead and 200+ injured, and many people had been taken hostage in the two 5 star hotels, as far as I know, as well as some bombs going off and something happening at the train station. I woke up about 8 hours later, and the news said that many were still being held hostage. If I remember correctly, the news said that 7 British had been killed. It was also said that the head of the anti-terror was killed.

One guy on the news last night also said "they wanted to know if anybody had an American or British passport, if you had one, they wanted to know", so I presume he was in the situation and escaped the horror somehow. I also heard another man on there saying about how there were about forty of them being told to go onto the roof, and as they were walking up he managed to get into a room without being seen by the gunmen, but it was so smoke-filled they had to go back down the stairs, and thankfully didn't see any more of the terrorists, so they broke a window near the lower floors and escaped.

I've just done a quick search and found this, which states that the toll of deaths is now over 125, and that there has been more firing in one of the hotels, and the Army are entering another.

Just found another site which says 287 people are wounded.

EDIT: For anybody interested, I found the guy who was talking about it. This isn't the guy who escaped by the way I described, this is the guy about the passports. Here is the link: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6UH1Q0N21T4

They have killed "India's Braveheart" ATS leader Hemnant Karkare. They had issued a threat to him too, but he didn't take it seriously and payed the price. He was shot thrice in the chest.

Some Terrorist captured and he speaks out, according to him, Foreigners were not the targets, it seems he was driven to pick up arms due to the ""injustice" to Muslims in India by Hindus"...
You could read about it here.
EDIT: Isn't it more than 24 hrs since the firing / blasts started?

AJers

Your typical e-wench
Yeah, it's been over 24 hours; it's still going down at 2 of the hotels.

Latest news is 125 dead, 320+ injured; probably more to follow.

My grandparents, who are Indian (I'm half Indian) flew to Mumbai last week, so I'm pretty worried. I don't think they're staying at a hotel though, rather with family, so I am sure they will be ok. Needless to say this stuff is scary, even from 5000 miles away.

Solidus said:
There were even some attacks that happened at the Taj Mahal Palace, and they're still continuing.
Its not a palace, its a hotel....

I don't think anyone in India will book rooms in Star hotels for quite a while now....

Zakkusu said:
Needless to say this stuff is scary, even from 5000 miles away.
Wow, I'm only around 830 miles away and I'm not that scared :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)