Metagame Terastallization Tiering Discussion, Part II [CLOSED FOR DLC]

Status
Not open for further replies.
This meta's going to be unplayable forever, huh? Just broken v broken, with no chance of it changing. No one wants to ban broken mons because individual power is far less relevant than Tera shenanigans, and nothing will happen on Tera because GF is going to keep doing various releases and updates until Gen X is announced.

I don't get the focus on TeraBlast; the worst abusers don't even run that move. In a theoretical world where we take some action on Tera, will that actually neuter anything, or is banning purely about freeing Volc and Eleki?

This might be an odd proposal, and I'm not sure if this has been brought up much. But here's one idea to balance Tera:

Ban Same Type Tera.

Let's think on this: One big problem with tera I see is how it enables wall breaking to an unbelievable degree. So to give more breathing room for defensive play, how about getting rid one of the offensive weapon uses of tera, while sparing the defensive part of it?

Let's be honest, too: How creative is choice banded tera water rain dance wave crash? Or something similar with sun? Or just simply choice banded same-type tera brute forcing anything? Not nearly so as changing to a different type, which there is much more creativity involved in choosing it.

It probably won't solve most issues plenty of people have with the mechanic - mainly stuff that made some sweepers like Espartha, Kingambit, Regeleki, and Volcarona problematic. But it could qualm the more outrageous forms of wallbreaking, like Chi Yu, Chein Pao, and Baxcalibur. And just enough that more defensive play could actually take some kind of shape in the meta, and improve teambuilding as a result.

I personally would just want the whole mechanic outright - Same-Type Tera ban is just another idea to throw out there as a balancer if people still want the mechanic no matter what.

I don't want to get hostile, but it is only logical to have any sort of suspecting on tera or restrictions after we see what the meta looks like after the release of the DLC. That's why the council unbanned some mons like Chien-Pao post HOME to see if there would be a difference with all the added threats.
I assumed the process was different w/ generational mechanics since DMax did not get a retest after the DLCs. Exception to that is Ubers where it stuck around until it eventually got banned in the CT.

We might get multiple Tera test this generation based on some of Finch's comments, so DMax was likely a unique case.

It probably won't solve most issues plenty of people have with the mechanic - mainly stuff that made some sweepers like Espartha, Kingambit, Regeleki, and Volcarona problematic. But it could qualm the more outrageous forms of wallbreaking, like Chi Yu, Chein Pao, and Baxcalibur. And just enough that more defensive play could actually take some kind of shape in the meta, and improve teambuilding as a result.
props for pre-empting this argument before anyone actually brought it up, but you never actually address it, you just go on to say that the one problem your proposal will solve is… well, one that's already largely been solved. chien-pao and chi-yu are broken with a capital b (and a capital r, and possibly also a capital e) even in the absence of tera, and have been banned accordingly. although i agree that it would tip the scales marginally more towards defense, the actual problems happening right now would not be solved by this. as a general rule, if the phrase "ok so this actually doesn't solve most of the problems but" comes up in a proposal, the proposal probably should not be made
This meta's going to be unplayable forever, huh? Just broken v broken, with no chance of it changing. No one wants to ban broken mons because individual power is far less relevant than Tera shenanigans, and nothing will happen on Tera because GF is going to keep doing various releases and updates until Gen X is announced.
this is why the question on tera needs to be settled decisively and permanently. no matter what the results of the next suspect test are, they should be final, so we can actually get around to banning the broken things instead of waiting for another tera suspect that might never come

Last edited:
as a general rule, if the phrase "ok so this actually doesn't solve most of the problems but" comes up in a proposal, the proposal probably should not be made
In fairness, most of the proposed compromise action against Tera sorta falls into this camp. For example, a Tera Blast ban solves this issue of Pokemon like Volcarona being able to destroy Heatran, but doesn't solve other things like Ting-Lu turning into a Ghost to set-up hazards for days or Gambit turning into a Bird to defeat Tusk, which people may or may not take issue with. Other options like Tera Captain, only being allowed to Tera into one of the moves you are using, Tera types at preview etc. are similar in the sense that they won't solve all the issues certain players have. while also not satisfying players that enjoy the mechanic.

as a general rule, if the phrase "ok so this actually doesn't solve most of the problems but" comes up in a proposal, the proposal probably should not be made

this is why the question on tera needs to be settled decisively and permanently. no matter what the results of the next suspect test are, they should be final, so we can actually get around to banning the broken things instead of waiting for another tera suspect that might never come
Well with this logic you can keep waiting then because a one size fits all solution that satisfies everyone will never exist. We have to work with what we can. Same type Tera is a great example though as a way Tera can be fucking ridiculous that has nothing to do with other peoples' issues, and is not addressed by more reasonable and far reaching restrictions such as Preview and TB Ban

Edit: looks like we'll all have to wait
https://x.com/centroleaks/status/1690647561873321984?s=46

Last edited:
Well with this logic you can keep waiting then because a one size fits all solution that satisfies everyone will never exist. We have to work with what we can. Same type Tera is a great example though as a way Tera can be fucking ridiculous that has nothing to do with other peoples' issues, and is not addressed by more reasonable and far reaching restrictions such as Preview and TB Ban

Edit: looks like we'll all have to wait
https://x.com/centroleaks/status/1690647561873321984?s=46
It shouldn’t have to satisfy everyone tbh. People who hate tera aren’t going to waste their time playing a metagame that sucks ass to get reqs for a test, they probably quit long ago because it’s clear nothing is going to change. Action should have been taken right away when it was obvious the mechanic was broken at the start of the gen. It’s too late now and gen9 will always be one of “those” gens.

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I don't want to get hostile, but it is only logical to have any sort of suspecting on tera or restrictions after we see what the meta looks like after the release of the DLC. That's why the council unbanned some mons like Chien-Pao post HOME to see if there would be a difference with all the added threats.
I'm worried. For one thing, DLC 2 has suggested some very impactful potential changes, both in what can abuse Tera, and even potentially how Terastilization works on a whole. So much so that I would hate to hear the arguments for and against Tera while these aspects are up in the air. On the other hand, Gamefreak is not actually sure they even can release DLC 2 this year, as it not only has a vague release date (Winter 2023) but they list it as a possible release date. So we can't even guarantee it drops this year. It's all very troublesome and tiring.

The announcement today pretty much sets in stone that if we do a DLC1 Tera test, it will be some kind of third Tera test, either a council vote, or full on test.

With that in mind the best course of action is probably to go straight to open team sheets (I would personally be okay if we skip the dlc 1 test and go straight for that) and test again for bans in dlc 2.

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
We don't know how they work, but ai really want to know, if that specific element of Tera is dumb, are we gonna ban that typing? And if we do, does that open the door to banning slcertain "problematic" Tera types? Gamefreak has either given us a easy out on Tera or has complicated how we tier this to hell and back

While I do think we shouldn't just run things blindly, I do wonder if it would be beneficial to change ous tiering a bit with the modern approach to updates pokemon games have. we basically have multiple meta phases of base/home/dlc1/dlc2, with additional mini phases that come from small releases like walking wave/iron leaves. Its manageable for pokemon bans, but for any mechanic, we either immediately ban it like dmax or else we have a dead year, debates on how to ban it coupled with very short timeframes to act on it

and sure, not all mechanics will be like tera. some will be obvious bans/dnbs, but what if some are? are we gonna have the same issue we had this gen?

I think less weight should be put on mechanics, act on them quicker but also be willing to drop them and retest. I know they affect the metagame much differently than pokemon, but I think with the first year of ou being just fractured between 4 or more metas, we should be more flexible me thinks

if the effects of aurora or whatever we're calling it are actually as horrific as i expect them to be, i think we should just not code in the mechanic until after deciding what to do with it, so we can have the discussion on it without ruining the meta

It shouldn’t have to satisfy everyone tbh. People who hate tera aren’t going to waste their time playing a metagame that sucks ass to get reqs for a test, they probably quit long ago because it’s clear nothing is going to change. Action should have been taken right away when it was obvious the mechanic was broken at the start of the gen. It’s too late now and gen9 will always be one of “those” gens.
I agree with the first sentence, and I would say yes the format of the suspect probably would not favor anti-Tera players, but I would say a blanket statement "they aren't going to even try for reqs" is probably not correct. Ill name two people in this very thread that definitely will, Srn and Lose to RU will be on that shit. As for the rest, well, I do not think less than halfway through the gen, with 2 DLCs and god knows how many new shadow dropped mons on the way, and a new Fuck-You Tera Type on the way, is "too late" at all

Last edited:
We don't know how they work, but ai really want to know, if that specific element of Tera is dumb, are we gonna ban that typing? And if we do, does that open the door to banning slcertain "problematic" Tera types? Gamefreak has either given us a easy out on Tera or has complicated how we tier this to hell and back
At this point you could free dynamax in gen 8 by just removing Max-Airstream, Max-uh the punching one, and Max... fuck these names you get the point.

Type targetting sounds doable but also has a lot more valid complaints against it, primarily because its the mechanic as a whole giving access to those and there's still mons maybe not broken with those specific teras. After all the types only correlate to the coverage/weaknesses of the pokemon in question, it'll simply rotate until all types but bug are banned. Which at this point would probably be the fastest fucking action we'll ever see on tera, now its the 'DLC is here incident... 2 more months guys, ok 2 months has past time to suspect arceus-bug before DLC-2'.

You can ban tera fairy, AND tera fighting, but the fact you can tera at all on something like espathra it still can find ways due to the mechanic to simply not die instantly to its matchup even if its a neutral tera.

___

I wonder how off the tables 'fuck around and find out' just having tera banned for 1 week during DLC release would be, then enabling it after to see how the meta actually looks with tera. It'd give us a perspective on how non-broken the new mons are and the freed roster is without tera while showing just how instantly they become a problem when it gets re-added.

Tera really does need some quick and temporary fuck around and find out action already.

Last edited:
We would either have to undo the result within a week or so after the test ends due to a massive metagame overhaul
no you wouldn't, metagame shifts don't matter, the metagame does not matter for tera. We are not suspecting a metagame presence, we are suspecting a mechanic, which effects every tier below as well.
Holding a suspect, if and when appropriate, in the actual metagame it will impact is always ideal
again, the metagame itself does not matter to a tera suspect.
Because of this, we had a council vote on retesting it after a DLC
that would have been stupid. not because "it would be a waste of time", but because nothing in the DLC made dynamax a better mechanic. the metagame does not matter. the metagame is not what made dynamax bad, it was the mechanics.
but it is only logical to have any sort of suspecting on tera or restrictions after we see what the meta looks like after the release of the DLC. That's why the council unbanned some mons like Chien-Pao post HOME to see if there would be a difference with all the added threats
those are pokemon. the difference between pokemon and tera is that tera is a mechanic. those pokemon do not change the very base mechanics of which the game is played on. tera, is not a pokemon. it is not an item, it is not an ability.

terastilization is a function, chien pao is an object inside a class. terastilization is a game mechanic. terastilization is an operand, chien pao is the number being used by the operand

and yes, I say this after today's news, because this new shit is not going to fundamentally alter what Tera does right now, and what it will be doing. and frankly, if the new tera type individually is actually broken god knows it'll just be complex banned atp, and we will be back to mark one.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Anyone who thinks suspecting Tera right before DLC in a dying metagame is the optimal play lacks a grasp on tiering. This is not an open discussion; this is a forgone conclusion backed by all prevailing tiering conventions and common sense.
no you wouldn't, metagame shifts don't matter, the metagame does not matter for tera. We are not suspecting a metagame presence, we are suspecting a mechanic, which effects every tier below as well.
No, you are wrong. A test on Tera in one metagame is different than a test on Tera in a different metagame. Context absolutely matters. The mechanic is used on the Pokemon that exist within the tier. The Pokemon differing and being less stable can make a substantial difference.
again, the metagame itself does not matter to a tera suspect.
This comment is just baffling. I implore you to take a step back and reassess your conclusion.
that would have been stupid. not because "it would be a waste of time", but because nothing in the DLC made dynamax a better mechanic. the metagame does not matter. the metagame is not what made dynamax bad, it was the mechanics.
This is why we voted to keep it banned, but also you cannot just blankly assume nothing makes things better or worse without actually playing it through in some cases. Tera is not something we can assume will be worse or better in the format without playing it out. And if I were to just based tiering off of blind assumptions, I would not be doing my job properly.

I wonder how off the tables 'fuck around and find out' just having tera banned for 1 week during DLC release would be, then enabling it after to see how the meta actually looks with tera. It'd give us a perspective on how non-broken the new mons are and the freed roster is without tera while showing just how instantly they become a problem when it gets re-added.
i genuinely believe that its worth a shot to try out an ou meta without tera when DLC1 drops and to test tera after the meta develops a bit. its frustrating and tiring to see every suspect end with no decision and watch ou turn stale.

Yeah, but the absolute power disparity isn't that different. They're just not engaged in a struggle between the old school of thought (bans being a last resort) and the new (bans are a required part of dealing with Gamefreak's design decisions). It's completely normal to send things up from UU (and especially lower tiers) just because they have the wrong vibe.

I've never really agreed with the argument that "we're banning too many things", but increasingly, I at least understand it. It stems from an era when Gamefreak wasn't dropping nearly 2 dozen 570+ BST mons into a new tier and letting God sort it out. And that doesn't even capture the full scope of the problem, because Annihilape, Espathra, Kingambit and Garganacl are (mostly) just regular mons!

So i mean, yeah. Sure. Tera is definitely having an effect on the format. But Gen 9 having more new legendary-BST mons than the first 3 gens did, combined, means that it was always going to be a herculean effort to get the format into a balanced state.

...and then they started shadow-dropping things like Walking Wake into the tier. God help us.

There's certainly a chance that banning Tera might make things appreciably better, but as long as the specter of "older formats never needed to ban things" looms overhead, we'll all continue to suffer.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who is thinking about the subject

I've been thinking this for a while now. Is it Tera or is it the mons who are OP? To understand this I'm putting into perspective something, and is the amount of bans and the amount of new pokémon available.

In this list I'm counting Melmetal as Gen 8 and Hisuan mons as gen 9, since that was the first time it could be played in a traditional pokémon game smogon bases their formats on.
Gen 1/2Gen 3Gen 4Gen 5Gen 6Gen 7Gen 8Gen 9
Fully evolved mons​
79/61​
76​
72​
83​
37 + 45​
67​
62​
86+​
Fully evolved "evolutions"​
0/5​
0​
18​
0​
45 Megas​
0​
4​
9​
Minor legendary/Mythicals​
4/4​
6+Deoxys​
11​
13​
4​
18​
11​
22+​
2 much 4 (O)U
New​

OHKO

3+1

Shadow tag
6+1

Evasion

Gems

6+2

Baton Pass

9+1
Arena trap

5+1

King's Rock

6+3
% of non-common mons​

5.714%​
13.158%​
15.28%​
15.66%​
4.878%​
26.87%​
17.74%​
25.58%​
No longer 2 much​
-​
Brown Dwarfs
(Awful legendaries)
-​
-​
Phione
Regigigas
Kyurem-B
Kyurem
Phione
Regigigas
Kyurem-B
Kyurem​
Phione
Regigigas
Hoopa-U
Kyurem-B
Kyurem​
Calyrex
Regigigas
Hoopa-U​
Calyrex
Regigigas
Hoopa-U
Zamacenta

Conclussions I was able to gather
  • Gen 3 Lacks any meaningful specie interaction with gen 1-2. That's likely because TPCi was new at this point in time and they didn't knew how to manage a franchise (Not that they improved too much though).
  • Gen 4 Introduced the most evolutions to fully evolved mons. It did not cause damage on competitive though, since those were there mostly there to increase the amount of options on the adventure, just like physical/special split.
  • Gen 5's powercreep seem to come more from the hidden habilities than the regular species themselves, despite introducing so many of them. Just like Hoenn, Unova lacks relation with previous gens due to a very bold and divisive move tht was in perspective, not something who improved the games if you ask me.
  • Gen 6 Megas caused lot less damage than expected in OU despite being so many. The reasons are that you could only use 1 per battle and 2 megastones is not a good idea outside VGC, the delay turn on speed made them easier to handle. The only gen 6 megas who truly broke OU in the long term were Salamence, Lucario, Gengar and Kangaskhan, with Metagross being a Gen 7 issue of speeds.
  • A big reason Kalos felt so empty is their lack of minor legendaries. The only one is Zygarde and even that was supposed to be a mayor one but got cut due to deadlines, giving the region next to no lore we care about, unlike the 3 previous gens; the fact Squishy and Zydog appeared in the anime before gen 7 got announced should be enough proof of this.
  • Gen 7's meta I would describe as "Somehow it worked well". If I had to guess why it's because Ultra Beasts are overly polarized stat-wise, which rarely worked in their favor due to very exploitable weaknesses. That might explain why the tier, despite being so active, is hesitant to changes or testing, like doing one to Deoxys-Defense who is in most cases a worse Toxapex.
  • Tapus and Mythicals are another story, because they're well-rounded and ALL of them were meta shapings. I'm sure the Tapus were made that way on purpose for VGC 2017 spectacle.
  • Gen 8 is filled with arguably intentional powercreep. 3 bans are to minor legendaries who were somewhat busted on release or just have OP with weaknesses that were not properly accounted for in singles OR doubles. Honorable mention to Dragapult and Tornadus-T, who were banned in NatDex, as well as a lot of mons that are OP but can't do anything to X type.
  • Gen 9 Is clearly intentional powercreep. This region alongside Hisui introduced 31 mons who are either "legendary" or a not so necessary evolution. Not to mention, most of those "legendaries" stats are distributed in more efficient ways than Ultra beasts, letting them much less exploitables than a Kartana, Xurkitree or Nihilego.
  • Most bans are either OP paradox/legendary paldean/galarian creatures. Most exceptions are also self explanatory in Annihilape (Rage Fist + good bulk), Espathra (Speed Boost + Stored power + Calm mind + Recovery), Palafin (Water Slaking without truant + jet punch) and Shed Tail (A failed attempt to make baton pass fair). The questionable case is Volcarona, the matchup moth.
Overall, it seems like 65/35 with the new roster being more responsible. Of course too many legendaries without exploitable weaknesses would cause this, and of course if you only have one weakness and its patched by tera.

Powercreep

We know powercreep and hate it, the act to creeping up powerlevel on videogames. I think it's kinda appropiate to remind you how severe it might be for the switch era. Keep in mind some mons also favored from this that are from older games, most notably Dragonite and Volcarona, but they're exceptions to this, not the rule.

:Melmetal: Huge physical stats and has a 144 BP STAB move with 51% flinch rate. If it gets added through DLC or something it'll get banned due to tera steel being unstoppable, just like in natdex.
:Rillaboom: It had both Grassy Glide and Grassy Surge, aka a an stronger priority move than STAB extreme speed from Arceus. Nerfed so it would not dominate VGC, and still good in btw.
:Cinderace: It had STAB on all its moves, good coverage and a better Flare blitz. Nerfed so it could not dominate BSS again.
:Corviknight: A better Skarmory in everything except hazards. It's a big responsible of why they nerfed recovery moves in gen 9 due to its stall tactics back in gen 8 BSS alongside Zapdos, Toxapex, Porygon 2, Dragonite and Hippowdon. That being said, Dragonite, Zapdos and Porygon 2 were the most egregious cases and the metal bird is more of an early meta issue.
:Darmanitan-Galar: It's a pokémon who can either have 2 choice bands or choice band + choice scarf, with an almost unresisted attack combo. It's so strong it was the first time people took Ice types seriously.
:Dracovish: FISHIOUS REND + Strong Jaw. Who though this was a good idea?!
:Dracozolt: :Arctozolt: BOLT BEAK. Be glad electric can be walled by ground types and Hail is a bad style without the frozen frankenstein.
:dragapult: It has 142 speed with good offenses and U-Turn. Before pokémon were not reaching over 130, let alone over 140 without serious sacrifices, setups or items. Be glad 100 special attack is kinda bad and is forced to use that... then Tera happened.
:Zacian: :Zacian-Crowned: The strongest legendary ever created due to best type combo, incredible 138/148 speed and a better choice band as hability. So busted even its weak form was too much FOR UBERS. Needed a nerf and is still an S-Tier pokémon in Ubers.
:Urshifu: STAB 113/120 BP moves who ignore defense boosts, attack drops and protect, alongside either receiving a powerboost from rain or being almost impossible to resist. They're dominating VGC for a reason.
:slowking-galar: Because defense also gets powercrept. A perfect defensive pokémon, with access to a pivot move who removes weather, regenerator, toxic immunity, great bulk, future sight and can go on a tank role if necessary... which it can't atm due to all the legos in Paldean fields.
:Regieleki: 200 SPEED and an electric boost. The only thing holding it back was no ground coverage.
:Spectrier: This mon is proof of how OP ghost had become after the. Impossible to realistically wall, snowball effect and also incredibly fast. No tools against dark types wasn't enough to keep it in OU back in gen 8, let alone gen 9.
:Calyrex-Shadow: Almost as broken as Zacian due to both moxie + unnerve, , another better close combat, and being even faster than Zacian-C. Only hold up by dark types and not even that prevented this thing from winning worlds 2023.
:Samurott-Hisui: It has a 97.5 BP STAB move who puts spikes you can't bounce off, and a 50% power boost to other slicing moves like sacred sword o razor shell. A big reason the meta is so offense-oriented is how reliably this mon each time it uses its strongest dark type move it also puts a layer of his ancient Lego collection in the opposing battlefield.
(Side comment. Why NO ONE in the community has ever compared Spikes to legos? They're the same thing!)
:Ursaluna: The strongest facade user ever made. Is a lot of stats in general and very difficult to wall, but not unbeatable because is slow and lacks lots of resistances. More of a VGC mon with niche in 6v6.
:Basculegion: :Basculegion-f: LAST RESPECTS + SWIFT SWIM.
:Enamorus: A good reminder of why ground + fairy is kinda busted offensively, specially with very high special attack and high speed.
:Meowscarada: Gen 1 razor leaf is back. Also has Knock off which most mons lost because it was seemed too good to keep.
:Skeledirge: Unaware on a mon who is not passive and has a better fiery dance who bypasses substitutes. No wonder why it's so good in Ubers and also the King of UU.
:Maushold: While not amazing in singles, in doubles it's a great offensive support due to follow me and a 300 BP STAB move. Good thing normal types are easy to wall in 6v6, rocky helmet exists and Maushold is bad outside speed.
:Garganacl: A wall who can melt water and steel types, with status immunity, ghost resistances and recovery. Is the wall smogon somehow doesn't like.
:Espathra: It has the dreaded combo of stored power + Calm mind + recovery + speed boost. If not, Lumina Crash is also a ridiculous move that would force everyone to use covert cloak. Australia was right, flightless birds are evil.
:Palafin-Hero: What if Slaking did not had truant? Also give it a better typing and 60BP STAB priority.
:Cyclizar::Orthworm: SHED TAIL SHENANIGANS.
:Houndstone: LAST RESPECT + SAND RUSH.
:Dondozo: Basically a physical blissey. Be glad it lacks toxic and reliable recovery because this version of blissey has actual attacking power I think most dondozos should invest into... oh wait, those sets would be curse chestorest which is not viable due to all the lego pieces going around.
:Annihilape: Infinite scaling move in raging fist, alongside the stats to use it effectively and worst of all, it does not reset on switch meaning it punished ridiculously hard U-Turn and defensive teams.
:Kingambit: Swords dance + Sucker punch, a free choice band as hability, bulk to survive a pyro ball from offensive Cinderace without Tera, and coverage to break through almost everyting, even without tera. According to Smogon this is fine to keep in OU... Oh wait, most think this should have been banned, just barely not enough.
:Great Tusk: The mon who managed to outclass Landorus-T as a bulky ground type. The only reason this tier has any semblance of stability, both due to somewhat checking the guy above it and being the only spinner who can defeat Gholdengo on a 1v1 to keep up with the ridiculous hazard meta more in check.
:Flutter Mane: The most used mon in VGC for a reason. Amazing speed, special bulk and special attack alongside very difficult to resist combo, there's no wonder why it was banned so quickly.
:Iron Bundle: Another OP Ice type, this time due to having over 130 speed + a combo of freeze dry + hydro pump nothing can resist without tera + avobe average special attack. I still wonder why people still says ice is the worst type when we get stuff like THIS and both bug and rock exists.
:Baxcalibur: An Ice type with gargantuan attack who get's +1 attack from every attempt to burn it and a 120 BP move without drawbacks. Also good bulk and decent speed. Back in gen 5 said Ice type had next to no defensive utility, was weaker, slower and was still good.
:Gholdengo:The ultimate spinblocker guaranteeing there's no reliable way of removing hazards, or to use any kind of status move on it for that matter. No wonder why the meta is so utterly offensive and spike-oriented alongisde Samurott.
So... Why is this thing allowed in OU?! Seriously, almost every single issue with offense is due to spikes, and almost all issues with spikes are due to the cheese bar blocking any attempt of removing it. It doesn't matter it has reliable checks or even counters, this mon invalidates entire playstyles and forces almost everyone to run boots or support cinderace, limiting sets of pokémon and therefore defensive counterplay to a meta who desperately needs it.
:Chien-Pao: Combo of over 170 Attack and over 130 speed with great STAB combo, strong priority and enough coverage. Do I need to explain why it was too much when Weavile with less was already a bit of a problem back in gen 8?
:Chi-Yu: Great STAB combo with a 33% power boost to make it more powerful than even box legendaries, while also not being slow or specially frail. Back in gen 6 that hability demanded to use moves with secondary effects or to use megastones and contact moves.
:Iron Valiant: Fast mix attacker with incredible coverage and the hability to use choice scarf without being locked, and has tons of viable sets who become even better due to surprise factor. At least it lacks snowball effect of Beast boost.
:Koraidon: :Miraidon: One is a powercreep Groudon in a lot of ways, the other acheived ban in NatDex ubers alongside Calyrex-Shadow. Both alongside Nerfed Zacian-C are the 3 most popular Ubers by a longshot.

Opinion

This is the single most important OU moment. It's clear to me that the new direction of Pokémon isn't compatible with traditional 6v6, where defense and offense used to balance eachother out on gen 3-7 (Gen 1 and 2 are unpopular because it's almost impossible to make progress). There's 4 choices we can make, and all are just AWFUL in some way or another or will be very difficult to implement.

Ban more new mons: Yeah, this will make a lot of people angry because they're a big reason people play gen 9 OU to begin with. It's incredibly difficult to make people realize that non-obvious cases of mons being OP are indeed OP. Even evident cases don't always end up with action as we saw with Gen 4 Jirachi where people literally modded the game, going against what Smogon defends, instead of just banning something almost no one thinks is balanced in OU. Also no, don't pretend that the differences of mechanics are that relevant, otherwise BDSP OU would be played, which is not. The fact Kingambit evaded banhammer should be enough saying here.

Ban Tera: The more you propose this, the more you create a group who will actively keep tera even though it's conscious it's better to do something, just because they don't want a ban, because Tera is a big reason to play OU to begin with. Why do you think nothing happened the first time? Because enough people feared a Tera ban that it got enough people to not ban due to all the vocal minority, not to mention the lack of compromise from OU to even consider the lower tier metas as affected negatively.

Restrict Tera: This seems the more logical step. As much as Smogon is traumatized with Baton Pass, the only realistic solution that could work is to implement solutions slowly to see if things work, then ban if nothing does. Again, a big reason people play gen 9 IS due to Tera. That being said, we have a serious problem: WE'RE NOT RATIONAL. Have you seen people complaining about being banned for modifying pokémon genes, in a country where modifying software is illegal and in a world tournament? I did yesterday's afternoon, and this tells me that pokémon players don't really understand how stuff or even laws works For your reminder, the Smogon users consists mostly of teenagers and young adults, neither group very experienced with the whole negotiation thing, of trying if our theories if they are true or not; btw, I'm included on the latter group.

Do nothing: This NEVER works in any context. If there's a problem ignoring it just makes it bigger and bigger; just ask Blizzard if you don't believe me. The meta has a serious problem of being overly offensive (I know, usually is the other way around) and you can't deal with it with not dealing with it and hide it under the rug, this is not politics.Sadly the more we do pointless discussions, the more we'll get into doing nothing.

I'll tell you something important to keep in mind while waiting for the inevitable suspect test: Gen 9 WILL NEVER be like other gens because Balance is not better than offense in OU, unlike most gens since advance. Whatever we do, a large group will be upset...
Sorry for the rant, but this is incredibly serious and should NOT be let into winners and losers, it should be a search for the best solution and try to convince others why it is that way. Unless we act like proper adults nothing will be ever be acheived due to supermayority restrictions. The Kingambit suspect test let us clear something: THE NEXT SUSPECT TEST HAS TO BE TO TERA. If Kingambit was not banned with 50% usage and being a mixup hell smogon is very against in general, then NOTHING will be banned otherwise.

That being said, there's a lot of new moves who suggest a tutor place, aka a place where we could get defog, and a new tera variation which is even more reason to work on something so when DLC comes out we know what to do next.

PS: What do you think said tera is? I bet is tera "typeless", a tera who removes all weaknesses and resistances to types, and gives you a supereffective move. If that's the case then there's even more reason to ban Tera blast.

658Greninja

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
:slowking-galar: Because defense also gets powercrept. A perfect defensive pokémon, with access to a pivot move who removes weather, regenerator, toxic immunity, great bulk, future sight and can go on a tank role if necessary... which it can't atm due to all the legos in Paldean fields.
What are you talking about? Glowking is literally one of the top mons in the tier rn, with Spikes around. Plus you neglect to mention Boots which fixes that problem entirely. “But what about Valiant?” Well news flash, Gliscor and Clef are coming back. Meaning for DLC1 you don’t have to use up Colbur.

:Great Tusk: The mon who managed to outclass Landorus-T as a bulky ground type. The only reason this tier has any semblance of stability, both due to somewhat checking the guy above it and being the only spinner who can defeat Gholdengo on a 1v1 to keep up with the ridiculous hazard meta more in check.
Lando-T is only outclassed by Tusk rn cause it lost Defog and Knock Off, so people gravitated towards the ground type that does. Lando-T has a better defensive typing, immunity to spikes, and better special bulk, wh

:Gholdengo:The ultimate spinblocker guaranteeing there's no reliable way of removing hazards, or to use any kind of status move on it for that matter. No wonder why the meta is so utterly offensive and spike-oriented alongisde Samurott.
So... Why is this thing allowed in OU?! Seriously, almost every single issue with offense is due to spikes, and almost all issues with spikes are due to the cheese bar blocking any attempt of removing it. It doesn't matter it has reliable checks or even counters, this mon invalidates entire playstyles and forces almost everyone to run boots or support cinderace, limiting sets of pokémon and therefore defensive counterplay to a meta who desperately needs it.
Ghold hasn’t been considered for a suspect test because the two main forms of hazard removal (Tusk and Cinder) can threaten KOs in Ghold. Ghold’s dominance is less because of power creep and tera, and moreso because our options for hazard removal are limited. If this was Gen 8 with all the defoggers we have, Ghold wouldn’t even be considered slightly problematic. If Defog gets proper distribution for DLC1, then we can assume Spike offenses will become just “good” rather than the dominant force it is rn.

Ban more new mons: Yeah, this will make a lot of people angry because they're a big reason people play gen 9 OU to begin with. It's incredibly difficult to make people realize that non-obvious cases of mons being OP are indeed OP. Even evident cases don't always end up with action as we saw with Gen 4 Jirachi where people literally modded the game, going against what Smogon defends, instead of just banning something almost no one thinks is balanced in OU. Also no, don't pretend that the differences of mechanics are that relevant, otherwise BDSP OU would be played, which is not. The fact Kingambit evaded banhammer should be enough saying here.
Imma be honest, this meta doesn’t have alot of broken shit anyways. I’ve only heard complaints about like 2-4 mons in the tier. (Gambit, Ghold, Garg, Valiant) Only two of these register to me as broken, Garg cause this thing is ridiculously consistent with Salt Cure + Curse + great bulk. Valiant cause SD Tera Dark is fucking stupid. However these issues will be resolved with returning staples like Clef/Gliscor, and Scald. Nobody is advocating for a ban to Tusk, Skeledirge, or Dozo. Atm we don’t really have enough time to suspect anything since DLC is drawing near. The issue with SV OU is the same as pre-DLC SS OU, a lack of options. We don’t have alot of strong defensive staples because they were either cut or nerfed, Teal Mask seems to improve things in the diversity department. Whether Tera will be problematic or not in September, we’ll have to see.

Anyone who thinks suspecting Tera right before DLC in a dying metagame is the optimal play lacks a grasp on tiering. This is not an open discussion; this is a forgone conclusion backed by all prevailing tiering conventions and common sense.

No, you are wrong. A test on Tera in one metagame is different than a test on Tera in a different metagame. Context absolutely matters. The mechanic is used on the Pokemon that exist within the tier. The Pokemon differing and being less stable can make a substantial difference.

This comment is just baffling. I implore you to take a step back and reassess your conclusion.

This is why we voted to keep it banned, but also you cannot just blankly assume nothing makes things better or worse without actually playing it through in some cases. Tera is not something we can assume will be worse or better in the format without playing it out. And if I were to just based tiering off of blind assumptions, I would not be doing my job properly.
Alright, so let's consider: Why is it that almost every single metagame, including most OMs, seems to want Terastilization gone? Be it Suspect Tests where the majority almost always wants it gone but narrowly misses the vote, or Scarlet and Violet OU, where from the start a 60% majority of people have wanted a ban/action? Are we going to say the metagame has not shifted several times, and we are still led to the same conclusion because it's the same metagame?

No, it's because Terastilization has problems with its core mechanics that makes it undesirable to a lot of players. I mean, all you have to do is listen to them, listen to how they talk about it; the pro ban argument regarding tiering is that Pokemon get banned because of Terastilization mechanics. That is not supposed to show that in this metagame Terastilization is a problem, but to instead make the reader infer a question: Is it possible to make a healthy metagame with Terastilization as is? This is far from "This metagame is the problem", and I feel like pro ban people have made it pretty unambiguously clear, that they believe Terastilization is the problem with SV OU.

Do you think Srn is suddenly going to be Pro Tera when Clefable comes and starts match-up fishing for Stored Power wins with Tera Water? Hey, that's a defensive Pokemon, isn't that what he wants? No, because the problem isn't any specific type of Pokemon to the pro action side, it's any Pokemon in any metagame. The argument is that the problems with a Tera metagame are inherent to any metagame with Tera.

I'd go as far as to say that if you theoretically put Terastilization into any OU as an experiment, it would always lead to the same result. A lot of people would not like it.

Are you going to say that Dynamax in Singles could be healthy in a metagame? No? Just because that is a clearly much more broken thing, does not make Tera an exception to the concept, it's just less obvious.

Dynamax is still broken in a metagame with 6 Magikarps versus 6 Magikarps, and it is still broken with Gyarados vs Gyarados. Terastilization is still Terastilization in the same way.

Ultimately, how you time your Terastilization against the opposing team of six Magikarps is what will ultimately decide most games, playing around their Terastilization and making sure that you avoid unnecessarily burning yours first. Every turn your Tackle may be hit into a decisive Tera Ghost, and you need to position to your Tera Dark Magikarp so you do not lose the game. And when you switch in your chipped Tera Dark Magikarp, the enemy will have to consider whether you are Tera Normal. Because if you are Tera Normal, then using Tackle/Flail is the best play. If you are Tera Steel then Flail/Tackle may lose the game, but Tackle/Flail is a good middleground if it is Normal/Dark. And yet, good players probably still will be able to pilot this, and be pretty consistent.

Now, that is one of the most extreme examples I could use, but I believe that it should show just how this works. Terastilization as a mechanic changes the game in a way beyond metagame, it transcends metagame and its base mechanics are the arguably problematic of it, not how the metagame effects it. How you use your Terastilization against the other team is a major decider in most Overused games, currently, as well.

And now, in the Gen Karp OU Metagame, Terastilization has been put up to Suspect Test. Alas, only 59.9% of the 1,000 voters voted Action, and Terastilization is thus deemed not broken by the playerbase.

Thus, I will be clear: I think you are incorrect on the facts. I believe that yes, even in extreme examples, the opinion on Terastilization would remain as mostly the exact same regardless of metagame. I believe we have examples of this, and I believe your analysis on this is not logistically sound.

Also to be clear, I wrote this from the perspective of pro action, but I think that this goes for any opinion. Your opinion should be on how Terastilization changes the game to its core, not if Espathra gets to be unbanned, or if it makes that Pokemon more bearable to fight, etc.

Alright, so let's consider: Why is it that almost every single metagame, including most OMs, seems to want Terastilization gone? Be it Suspect Tests where the majority almost always wants it gone but narrowly misses the vote, or Scarlet and Violet OU, where from the start a 60% majority of people have wanted a ban/action? Are we going to say the metagame has not shifted several times, and we are still led to the same conclusion because it's the same metagame?

No, it's because Terastilization has problems with its core mechanics that makes it undesirable to a lot of players. I mean, all you have to do is listen to them, listen to how they talk about it; the pro ban argument regarding tiering is that Pokemon get banned because of Terastilization mechanics. That is not supposed to show that in this metagame Terastilization is a problem, but to instead make the reader infer a question: Is it possible to make a healthy metagame with Terastilization as is? This is far from "This metagame is the problem", and I feel like pro ban people have made it pretty unambiguously clear, that they believe Terastilization is the problem with SV OU.

Do you think Srn is suddenly going to be Pro Tera when Clefable comes and starts match-up fishing for Stored Power wins with Tera Water? Hey, that's a defensive Pokemon, isn't that what he wants? No, because the problem isn't any specific type of Pokemon to the pro action side, it's any Pokemon in any metagame. The argument is that the problems with a Tera metagame are inherent to any metagame with Tera.

I'd go as far as to say that if you theoretically put Terastilization into any OU as an experiment, it would always lead to the same result. A lot of people would not like it.

Are you going to say that Dynamax in Singles could be healthy in a metagame? No? Just because that is a clearly much more broken thing, does not make Tera an exception to the concept, it's just less obvious.

Dynamax is still broken in a metagame with 6 Magikarps versus 6 Magikarps, and it is still broken with Gyarados vs Gyarados. Terastilization is still Terastilization in the same way.

Ultimately, how you time your Terastilization against the opposing team of six Magikarps is what will ultimately decide most games, playing around their Terastilization and making sure that you avoid unnecessarily burning yours first. Every turn your Tackle may be hit into a decisive Tera Ghost, and you need to position to your Tera Dark Magikarp so you do not lose the game. And when you switch in your chipped Tera Dark Magikarp, the enemy will have to consider whether you are Tera Normal. Because if you are Tera Normal, then using Tackle/Flail is the best play. If you are Tera Steel then Flail/Tackle may lose the game, but Tackle/Flail is a good middleground if it is Normal/Dark. And yet, good players probably still will be able to pilot this, and be pretty consistent.

Now, that is one of the most extreme examples I could use, but I believe that it should show just how this works. Terastilization as a mechanic changes the game in a way beyond metagame, it transcends metagame and its base mechanics are the arguably problematic of it, not how the metagame effects it. How you use your Terastilization against the other team is a major decider in most Overused games, currently, as well.

And now, in the Gen Karp OU Metagame, Terastilization has been put up to Suspect Test. Alas, only 59.9% of the 1,000 voters voted Action, and Terastilization is thus deemed not broken by the playerbase.

Thus, I will be clear: I think you are incorrect on the facts. I believe that yes, even in extreme examples, the opinion on Terastilization would remain as mostly the exact same regardless of metagame. I believe we have examples of this, and I believe your analysis on this is not logistically sound.

Also to be clear, I wrote this from the perspective of pro action, but I think that this goes for any opinion. Your opinion should be on how Terastilization changes the game to its core, not if Espathra gets to be unbanned, or if it makes that Pokemon more bearable to fight, etc.
The problem with this take is that the only context we have to make a decision is how the mechanic plays out in the metagame. The idea that opinions won't change as the metagame changes is short sighted. Honestly, if you're pro-action, it's probably actually in your favor to wait. It's going to be harder and harder to continue to justify repeated Tera suspects every time a new iteration of the metagame starts to settle.

I think the typing being being entirely unique and tied to terastal gives it a stronger case to be banned by it self, if it’s even broken in the first place. Currently there’s not enough information on it to make any judgment call on banning imo, and we should wait until we concretely know what exactly this new type is and how it works.
If this was theoretically every type combined, it would almost certainly be better defensively than offensively

Multi-Tera blast would have these properties:

7 out of 18 types will be immune to this move, assuming the entire move will be (0x) if one of the types give a 0x result.

2 out of 18 types, Poison and Fire, will be (8x) resistant to the move.

2 out of 18 types, Water and Electric, will be (4x) resistant to the move.

1 out of 18 types, Dragon, will be (2x) resistant to the move.

2 out of 18 types, Fighting and Bug, will be neutral (1x) to the move.

3 out of 18 types, Rock, Grass and Psychic, will be (2x) weak to the move.

1 out of 18 types, Ice, will be (8x) weak to the move.

No Damage: Normal, Ghost, Dragon, Electric, Ground, Fighting, Poison, Psychic

1/16 Resist: Bug, Grass

1/2 Resist: Steel, Dark

Normal Damage: Flying, Fire, Water, Ice, Fairy

x2 Weak: Rock

Based on the evidence from the trailer, this is not how Multi-Tera works. Dragonite was hit neutrally, when it should have either been resisted, or immune. This leads me to believe that it will be a true neutral typing, neither getting hit super effectively nor hitting super effectively. I’m not even convinced that that would be even good, let alone broken

Last edited:
The problem with this take is that the only context we have to make a decision is how the mechanic plays out in the metagame. The idea that opinions won't change as the metagame changes is short sighted. Honestly, if you're pro-action, it's probably actually in your favor to wait. It's going to be harder and harder to continue to justify repeated Tera suspects every time a new iteration of the metagame starts to settle.
Similarly, I think any discussion of tera action after dlc1 drops should wait for the meta to settle down first, since (as proven by the home drops) the start of any new meta makes tera seem far more absurd than it is. I'm still pro-restriction on tera and would vote for pro-ban if I had to choose between tera and no tera, but any action on tera should wait until after the meta settles down.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
OU tier leader and...apparently the Smogon fact checker...reporting for duty
Why is it that almost every single metagame, including most OMs, seems to want Terastilization gone?
This is just part false and part irrelevant.

How can you say this when it is not banned across any major metagame then? And what do other metagames like OMs have to do with anything?
Scarlet and Violet OU, where from the start a 60% majority of people have wanted a ban/action?
This is also false.

Tera was below 60% during the only suspect and the support was at an all-time high then, especially relative to recently. You cannot make things up or frame them in a misleading fashion to fit your narrative. You can say over 60% supported it in the last survey (which is not at all what you said), but the survey numbers were even higher before the last suspect and it still did not get banned.

Why? Because surveys are purposefully non-binding. They guide our decisions, but they are not the be-all-end-all. Why? Because they are subject to voter manipulation since anyone can fill out a google form as anyone, because people who vote in suspects do so after a large amount of laddering that can supplement their opinions, and because there is no further justification needed -- it is just clicking a button. Notice how the survey reflected over 60%, but then the suspect reflected under 60%. Notice how the second survey reflected over 60%, but then both Tera threads reflected much less than 60% in favor of action and a clear minority in favor of an outright ban. This is not by coincidence and this is why we follow the process we do -- it is by design and it makes your statement both incorrect and misleading.
Are we going to say the metagame has not shifted several times, and we are still led to the same conclusion because it's the same metagame?
This is a question, but the leading answer you followed with is also categorically incorrect.

The metagame has shifted several times and the communal sentiment on Terastallization has shifted on numerous occasions, never quite landing to a consensus on acting and within the realm of action many people went from favoring Team Preview to different things like an outright ban to Tera Blast. What has been the catalyst for this change? Very obviously the only thing changing: the metagame itself. The mechanic has been the same all generation, but the Pokemon using it take so many different forms with the metagame.
Thus, I will be clear: I think you are incorrect on the facts.
Bold claim considering all of your leading points are at worst falsehoods and at best misleading statements lacking context.

--

A suspect on Terastallization in a sitting-duck metagame that is being overhauled in less than a month is nonsensical.

Logistically, it is borderline impossible as we would need the following:
  • Another week of discussion on the format of the suspect given the complex nature of discussion
  • Another survey breaking down specifics now that the Tera threads have been opened
  • Approval from higher-ups, which is not going to be granted without a greater amount of support than currently present
  • 3 weeks (yes, core mechanics demand longer suspects like Tera earlier this generation and Dynamax last generation) of a suspect test
  • 2-4 days for a vote
This alone gets us further than September 13th, when DLC comes out.

Moving away from the logistics though, it is not a logical move because we would be basing the biggest Pokemon decision ever on...a metagame that will not exist afterwards at all. From a public relations standpoint, that is a horrendous look, but from a practical perspective, it is similarly damning.

I realize not every poster looks at things from this perspective as you guys are not tasked with timing and running suspects with all that go into them, but there are so many considerations that come into play that I am trying my best to be transparent on. I hope this helps bring some perspective to things.

A suspect on Terastallization in a sitting-duck metagame that is being overhauled in less than a month is nonsensical.

Logistically, it is borderline impossible as we would need the following:
  • Another week of discussion on the format of the suspect given the complex nature of discussion
  • Another survey breaking down specifics now that the Tera threads have been opened
  • Approval from higher-ups, which is not going to be granted without a greater amount of support than currently present
  • 3 weeks (yes, core mechanics demand longer suspects like Tera earlier this generation and Dynamax last generation) of a suspect test
  • 2-4 days for a vote
This alone gets us further than September 13th, when DLC comes out.

Moving away from the logistics though, it is not a logical move because we would be basing the biggest Pokemon decision ever on...a metagame that will not exist afterwards at all. From a public relations standpoint, that is a horrendous look, but from a practical perspective, it is similarly damning.

I realize not every poster looks at things from this perspective as you guys are not tasked with timing and running suspects with all that go into them, but there are so many considerations that come into play that I am trying my best to be transparent on. I hope this helps bring some perspective to things.
Walking Wake and Iron Leaves were released 3 months after the base game(Nov-Feb). Home was released less than 4 months later(end of May). Teal Mask is early Sept(<4 months). Indigo Disk is just "winter", we can assume ~4 months(January).

And presumably they're not going to stop with releases. It's good marketing to constantly have something in the game changing, being released, etc. New mons is media coverage, word of mouth, trending on Twitter, etc. Do you honestly think there ever won't be "something's releasing soon" to worry about? You listed ~2 months at minimum to get a suspect done(and yes, that's a reasonable timeline, mechanics suspects are a big deal). If you assume at least 1 month after any release for the meta to settle/adapt before the suspect process starts, then literally any suspect will end less than a month away from the meta changing.

Look, I don't play much(I work 50 hours a week, I cannot spare the brain to get good). But this meta isn't fun. And that seems like a very common opinion. Something needs to change, and Tera's the elephant in the room. People are going to keep calling for a retest until one happens. Which, per your timeline, is probably middle of February before we even seriously discuss it(IF they release in Jan AND the meta settles fast, neither of which is guaranteed). That's going to suck for you, and it's going to suck for everyone trying to play this meta, and it's going to drain the fun out of these forums. And it's entirely possible by that point they've announced whatever the next big release is for late April or early May.

I get that there's a lot of things for you to consider, but that just seems like an unsustainable way to run a meta.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)