Tepig (qc 0/3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • if one person makes a joke about bacon im gonna cry

[OVERVIEW]
  • what it lacks in immediate power, it makes up for in high bp moves and excellent coverage that lets it hit most mons in the tier super effectively
  • largely overshadowed by darumaka, who, on average, hits far harder than tepig, has u-turn to preserve momentum, with tepigs saving grace being its reliability and ability to super effectively hit water-types with wild charge
  • best attacking options have major downsides, be in recoil for flare blitz, wild charge, and head smash, or drops from using superpower. head smash also has meh accuracy
  • low usage makes it unpredictable
[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Flare Blitz
move 2: Head Smash
move 3: Wild Charge
move 4: Superpower / Sleep Talk
item: Choice Scarf
ability: Blaze
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 Atk / 236 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

• flare blitz is tepigs best physical stab
  • head smash hits fire types, most notably ponyta, and provides decent neutral coverage with flare blitz. also flying types aswell as chinchou :0
  • wild charge hits waters like skrelp or slowpoke
  • superpower hits rock-types, such as omanyte or onix
  • sleep talk lets tepig become a foongus switch-in, and most rock types are hit by one of tepigs other coverage moves anyways (wild charge and head smash for tirt and dwebble, respectively)

Set Details
========

• Choice Scarf boosts Speed and lets tepig outspeed the entire unboosted tier.
  • Max Attack / Max Speed to hit as hard and as fast as possible
  • blaze is the preferred ability, as tepig will be worn down very quickly due to
  • Adamant for great rolls and cause it already gets 14 Speed

Usage Tips
========

• use it as a revenge killer, not a pivot. dont switch it in on attacks
  • remove hazards or prevent them from being set up if possible, because they put tepig on even more of a timer than its already on
  • use appropriate coverage moves to hit switch ins and clean up late game with flare blitz. for example, if an opponents only fire resist is a chinchou and you have a tepig, go for head smash when you predict chinchou to come in

Team Options
========

• entry hazard removers like staryu or drilbur are great for keeping up tepigs longevity, as tepig has to worry about recoil wearing it down enough without adding stealth rock into the mix. staryu in particular makes for a notable partner, as it spins away hazards for tepig, beats the rock/ground types that bother it, and forms 2/3 of a fwg core. drilbur is also noteworthy, as it checks the rock-types that bother tepig, while also wearing down water types together
  • entry hazard setters, such as dwebble or onix, make for good partners, as they get off chip damage on the opponent, making it easier for tepig to get kills
  • grass-types, such as snivy or cottonee, make for good partners, as they can make quick work of the ground, rock, and water types that bother tepig. also, pumpkaboo-super is a cool partner if ur running tepig on spikestack, as its an incredibly reliable spinblocker.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

• some cool utility moves, such as will-o, taunt, or sucker punch, can be used alongside an eviolite, however this is done far better by ponyta or even larvesta
Checks and Counters
===================

**Faster Attackers**: Although Tepig outspeeds the unboosted metagame, boosted attackers, such as Choice Scarf Chinchou, Carnavah after a Speed Boost, or Binacle after a Choice Scarf, can easy outspeed and OHKO Tepig.

**Priority attacks** Due to its modest defenses, Tepig is vulnerable to powerful priority attacks, such as Fletchling's Acrobatics, Pawniard's Sucker Punch, or Corphish's Aqua Jet.

**Stealth Rock** As it will be taking damage most of the time it attacks due to recoil, Tepig is easily worn down as it is, but entry hazards, particularly Stealth Rock, put Tepig on even more of a timer, and limit its switches.

Last edited:

Tricking

MALDINI
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 6th Official Ladder Tournamentwon the 7th Official Ladder Tournamentis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
World Defender
[OVERVIEW]

• 14 Speed without a boosting nature and a choice scarf lets tepig outspeed the entire unboosted tier (this should be going into Set Details. Start your analysis introducing Tepig's stats and niche)
  • what it lacks in immediate power, it makes up for in high bp moves and excellent coverage that lets it hit most mons in the tier super effectively
  • largely overshadowed by darumaka, who, on average, hits far harder than tepig, has u-turn to preserve momentum, with tepigs saving grace being its reliability and ability to super effectively hit water-types with wild charge
  • best attacking options have major downsides, be in recoil for flare blitz, wild charge, and head smash, or drops from using superpower. head smash also has meh accuracy
[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 3: Wild Charge
move 4: Superpower / Sleep Talk (rock-types such as tirtouga and archen are hit by wild charge, and dwebble takes more damage by Flare Blitz)
item: Choice Scarf
nature: Adamant

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

• flare blitz is tepigs best physical stab and what ull be clicking most the time
  • head smash hits fire types, most notably ponyta, and provides decent neutral coverage with flare blitz. It hits Flying-types as well, most notably Archen which resists Flare Blitz.
  • wild charge hits waters, such as Tirtouga, Omanyte, and Skrelp, and Flying-types such as Archen and Vullaby.
  • superpower hits rock-types, such as...
  • Sleep Talk explanation (switch into Foongus' spore)

Set Details
========

• Choice Scarf boosts Speed letting Tepig outspeed the whole unboosted metagame. is the best item in the meta, yadda yadda
  • Max Attack / Max Speed for good Scarfing
  • blaze is the preferred ability, as tepig will be worn down very quickly due to (complete the sentence, pls)
  • Adamant for great rolls and cause it already gets 14 Speed (mention evs in this sentence saying something more consistent than "for good scarfing")

Usage Tips
========

• use it as a revenge killer, not a pivot. dont switch it in on attacks
  • remove hazards or prevent them from being set up if possible, because they put tepig on even more of a timer than its already on
  • Say something about which moves you should be using (e.g. "Use Flare Blitz to deal as many damage as possible. Use a coverage move when you predict a Fire-type resistor switching in.")
  • due to the fact that no one uses tepig, it carries a certain level of unpredictability. like, ur opponent might send their diglett in on you, thinking ur like evio or something but BADABOOM slap em w a blitz speedyquick thanks to ur scarf (how does this help ppl use Tepig?) you can talk about unpredictability in OVERVIEW.

Team Options
========

• entry hazard removers such as? are great for keeping up tepigs longevity, as tepig has to worry about recoil wearing it down enough without adding stealth rock into the mix. staryu in particular makes for a notable partner, as it spins away hazards for tepig, beats the rock/ground types that bother it, and forms 2/3 of a fwg core.
  • entry hazard setters such as? make for good partners, as they get off chip damage on the opponent, making it easier for tepig to get kills
  • grass-types, such as snivy or cottonee, make for good partners, as they can make quick work of the ground, rock, and water types that bother tepig. Pumpkaboo-Super spinblocks as well.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

• some cool utility moves, such as will-o-wisp, Taunt, or sucker punch, can be used alongside an eviolite, however this is done far better by ponyta or even larvesta
  • grass knot ????
  • jack shit lol
Checks and Counters
===================

**Faster Attackers**: Although Tepig outspeeds the unboosted metagame, boosted faster attackers, such as Choice Scarf Chinchou, Carvanha after a Speed Boost, and boosted Shell Smashers, such as Tirtouga and Omanyte and Binacle, can easy outspeed and OHKO Tepig.

**Priority moves** Due to its modest defenses, Tepig is vulnerable to powerful priority attacks, such as Fletchling's Acrobatics, Pawniard's Sucker Punch, or Corphish's Aqua Jet.

**Entry hazards** As it will be taking damage most of the time it attacks due to recoil, Tepig is easily worn down as it is, but entry hazards put Tepig on even more of a timer, and limit its switches.
aberdeen, implement all the changes in bold, then tag me, and I'll stamp this.

Last edited:

Tricking

MALDINI
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 6th Official Ladder Tournamentwon the 7th Official Ladder Tournamentis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
World Defender
Ok, so

Set details:
End the sentence saying "word down due to recoil"

Team Options:
Ferroseed over Onix when talking about SR setters that help Tepig - mention that Spikes are very useful to get some KOs that otherwise wouldn't get.

Reword the drilbur part - it seems like that Drilbur deals with Water-types. You can say that Tepig KOes grass-types that resist Drilbur.

When talking about Pumpkaboo say that it's the best spinblocker as it deals with both Staryu and Drilbur.

Mention gothita which deals with bulky pokemon (bulky chou, porygon, spritzee, etc.)

Checks and counters:
Be sure to edit titles such as **Stealth Rock** according to my previous post, as you forgot to edit them.

Add a section called **Bulky Pokemon**: spritzee, porygon are annoying because then can stall Tepig out due to recoil by keeping using their recovery moves.

Buon lavoro, QC 1/3 when you implement this.

Corporal Levi

ninjadog of the decade
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Not QC, but I think you should include a Life Orb set:

name: Life Orb
move 3: Sucker Punch
move 4: Wild Charge / Superpower
item: Life Orb
nature: Jolly

On top of giving Tepig the power needed to 2HKO walls like Porygon and Spritzee after Stealth Rock, Life Orb allows Tepig to better flaunt one of its biggest advantages over Darumaka and Ponyta: Sucker Punch. Its main advantage over most Fire-type wall-breakers is Head Smash for opposing Fire-types, as well as OHKOing offensive Chinchou after Stealth Rock and getting around Munchlax (Head Smash -> Head Smash for RestTalk, Flare Blitz -> Head Smash for Berry Juice). Compared to Houndour, Wild Charge is also pretty nice to beat Skrelp/Tentacool, but Superpower helps to get rid of Munchlax/Porygon/Lileep more reliably.

I feel that Jolly is worth slashing after Adamant on the Choice Scarf set, because most of the affected rolls don't change 2HKOs or OHKOs, and a better speed tier for all the 14/15 stuff is pretty nice. Munchlax should probably be mentioned as the main target of Superpower, or else Grass Knot or HP Grass would be better if it was just for Onix.
Also, for checks/counters, scarf Binacle isn't really a notable threat.

tepig really struggles to find a niche as it is, and i feel that adding a different set would only further dilude it. i mean i wouldnt be against it but sucker punch is pretty situational and 90% of the time id be wishing i was using houndour or darumaka. i mean, im not completely against the idea, im just not really convinced.

providing some replays of where LO tepig showed its effectiveness, and pulled its weight where darumaka or houndour wouldnt, would be really cool and help your case a lot. not too hot on the idea tho

also i just noticed i said choice scarf over shell smash on binacle, lol. ill edt that + trickings check in tmrw

Last edited:

Corporal Levi

ninjadog of the decade
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
LO Tepig is probably less outclassed than scarf Tepig, though - scarf Tepig has less to offer over scarf Darumaka than LO Tepig has to offer over LO or banded Darumaka, and the boons to using scarf Tepig over scarf Houndour or LO Tepig over LO Houndour are the exact same. I don't have replays, but I don't see the need for them because its advantages over Darumaka or Houndour are fairly straight-forward. Sucker Punch is situational, but just as chip damage or to force 50/50s with weakened Fletchling, it's still probably more consistently useful than Superpower or Sleep Talk on the Choice Scarf set.
If we really want to emphasize how bad Tepig is by only including one set, I would argue that the LO set should be included and the Scarf set relegated into OO. Scarf Tepig differs from scarf Darumaka in that whereas Darumaka is barely fast enough to outspeed the average offensive Pokemon and strong enough to melt offense or heavily threaten balance, Tepig is barely fast enough to outspeed the average offensive mon, but lacks the power to OHKO most things vs offense (needing Stealth Rock to OHKO Fletchling for a Pokemon that's being locked in just to hit the lowest Scarf tier is pretty underwhelming) or power in general vs balance. LO Tepig can at least boast to be quite a big threat against balance and semistall because it's really difficult to switch into (I don't think there are any standard defensive mons that can do so), even if all it does vs offense is Sucker Punch.

tl;dr LO Tepig is less outclassed and more viable than Choice Scarf Tepig

Last edited:
I'm going to agree with making Life Orb the main set for Tepig instead of Choice Scarf. Tepig indeed faces stiff competition from other Fire-types in both roles, but Life Orb does have an edge in terms of overall usefulness and viability; in addition to having a much better matchup against slower playstyles thanks to its decent wallbreaking capabilities, Tepig still maintains some utility against opposing scarfers, faster mons, and slower priority users thanks to Sucker Punch. Levi explained this pretty well (probably better than I could).

astroboy

i havent used the life orb set that much so i dont feel that i should continue with this analysis, so it should be reassigned :0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)