move 2: Toxic Spikes
move 3: Sludge Bomb / Ice Beam / Knock Off
move 4: Rapid Spin
item: Leftovers
ability: Liquid Ooze
nature: Calm
evs: 204 HP / 96 SpA / 172 SpD / 36 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Thanks to Tentacruel's unique typing and high Special Defense stat, it can shrug off most Special Ice and Water attacks, so it should have enough opportunities to get in and do its thing. Surf is a good STAB attack and can be paired with either Ice Beam or Sludge Bomb for coverage. Ice Beam covers Dragon- and Flying-types mostly, while Sludge Bomb hits most Grass-types for higher damage and helps to wear down opposing Water-types. It also has a useful 30% chance of poisoning opponents which is especially useful for those Flying-types (like Gyarados) who not only take at worst neutral damage from all of Tentacruel's attacks but is also immune to Toxic Spikes. Rapid Spin rids your side of the field from entry hazards and is an incredibly handy move to have around. Knock Off can be used over any of the moves in the last two slots, although the third slot is the recommended choice. The ability to strips your opponent of its held item will often make it less effective.</p>

<p>Toxic Spikes is an excellent move that will quickly wear down an opponents team should hey lack a way of removing them. Giga Drain can 2HKO an incoming Water/Ground-type, particularly Swampert, and even though it does less damage than Sludge Bomb against most other Water-types it provides Tentacruel with a way to replenish HP outside of Leftovers recovery.</p>

Thanks to Tentacruel's unique typing and high Special Defense stat, it can shrug off most Special Ice and Water attacks, so he should have enough opportunities to get in and do his thing. Surf is a good STAB attack and can be paired with either Ice Beam or Sludge Bomb for coverage.

Tentacruel can be Male or Female.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I would probably suggest changing 'Knock Off can be used over any of the above moves' to 'Knock Off can replace any of the moves in the last two slots'. I see Surf and Toxic Spikes as essential on Tentacruel.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Sludge Bomb should be the main option. Sludge Bomb has better coverage, does more damage to Celebi as well as bulky Water-types, and is only resisted by other Tentacruel, Empoleon, and Qwilfish (the latter being UU anyway). I wouldn't worry much about Flying-types and such since Tentacruel shouldn't face most of them anyway.

@Chenn: I know that I used it > he/she just for personal preference. I'll change it if people prefer he/she.
@Stellar: All fixed thanks.
@Colonel M: Sludge Bomb does no damage against Steels whereas Water has only a few Pokemon who are immune to it (Vaporeon, Lapras). For that reason alone I think Surf should be the main option.

Thanks have a nice day ^^.

Edited that part already thanks Colonel M. Sorry Darkie my mistake all fixed I decided to go with it > he. Thanks have a nice day ^^.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Adding in more HP past a Leftovers number grants Tentacruel more survivability, so stopping at a leftovers number isn't a good idea here like on say Vaporeon.

I seriously think Tentacruel "needs" about 120 Defense EVs. He's used as a Mixape counter, and this makes taking Close Combats much easier. It's not like the Speed matters on a Pokémon you can't 2HKO that will OHKO you (Tyranitar) and 252 / 136 Sdef gets roughly the same as the current spread. Leftovers numbers are great but shouldn't be stopped at for low HP Pokémon.

wouldn't you be btter off having tentacruel hold black sludge. You still get the same amount of health restored but it would screw over trick users.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
But then there is the possibility that they will Trick it back onto one of your other Pokemon. It is much safer just to use Leftovers.

is HP Electric not also worth mentioning, the ability to hit Gyarados is very useful as otherwise this set is reduced to set up fodder for him. You at least outspeed Bulky Gyara, and you will also can EV it to outspeed Offensive Gyarados quite easily. In fact a mention of the EVs in the set comments would also be useful.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Any word on "my" EV spread? It lets Tentacruel take both physical and special hits better, doesn't make you outspeed something you can't 2HKO anyway, and ditches Special Attack.

not Maxing HP when its your lowest defensive stat and stopping at a Leftovers number is pretty foolish, especially when you aim to counter physical and special hits with this set.

It also has a useful 30% chance of poisoning opponents which is especially useful for those Flying-types (like Gyarados) who not only take at most neutral damage from all of Tentacruel's attacks but are also immune to Toxic Spikes.
Should be are>is because Flying-types is plural.

Toxic Spikes provide you with support for wearing down opponents and can prove useful to drain health from the likes of Dusknoir and Spiritomb, who will both(?) block Rapid Spin.
I think it should be provide>provides because Toxic Spikes is both singular and plural (I think?). Also I personally think it sounds better that way.

I added in the both, but it really doesn't need to be there since the sentence still makes sense with or without it.

The "is" is referring to Gyarados as flying types in general won't be hit with at most neutral damage from Tenta's attacks especially if it carries Ice Beam (barring Pelipper).

Rest have been edited in thanks have a nice day ^^.

~edit:
@Caelum: This was meant to be a rewrite of just the description and due to Uni stuff, etc. I'm too busy to actually update its EV spread if someone can suggest a better one (preferably with calcs to back up his/her claims) it would be very much appreciated.

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It/he/she doesn't matter as long as it is consistent within the analysis.
You should never use she unless it's a female only species. He & It are used generally but never She.

Is there a reason the support set just doesn't max HP ? Just wondering.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)