XY OU teh average fgts

Teh Average Fgts
(Name approved by Lord Helix- http://askhelixfossil.com/#fsyn9w)

Thanks to Dread for suggesting I should put an anime picture

Teambuilding Process:
When I first built my stall team early in the release of X/Y I come quick to find out that a few months later one of my friends built the same exact team and actually received all the credit for it (Thanks a lot TFL :P) Anyways, I felt that SubToxic SmogonSword (SubToxic Aegislash) was the meta at the moment. This thing is so good, Substitute + Toxic + King's Shield are the perfect combo for a stall Pokemon with the defenses Aegislash-Shield has.

Next, I always used Mandibuzz paired up with Aegislash. These two have such good defensive synergy with each and Mandibuzz can also help against other Aegislash as a Shadow Ball from mine isn't a OHKO from 100%. Mandibuzz also forces switches that Aegislash cannot alone. Also, I would need a Defogger for later purposes which is always nice.

I added Amoonguss because at the moment, my team could be really weak against Choice Specs Keldeo. Grass, Poison, and Dark is pretty good coverage, allowing me to Aegislash for more and a good significant amount of damage.

The next spot, I needed something again, with special bulk and physical bulk. I became fond of Bulky Zard X and decided to use it.

I decided to bring in Chansey for it's Wish Passing and it's amazing Cleric abilities. With it's great bulk, I can rely on it to switch in on attacks that I know the others cannot.

Lastly, I needed something that can handle things that has set up on my team. Unaware Quagsire fits this role perfectly getting Haze + Unaware which is great for Baton Pass teams and also to prevent any set-up sweeper from setting up and destroying my team.

Team Preview:

In Depth:

Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SAtk / 16 Speed
IVs: 0 Atk
Nature: Modest (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Shadow Ball - King's Shield - Substitute - Toxic

Set Explantion:

- Shadow Ball serves as Aegislash's STAB move and a source of offense when paired against Steel types such as Ferrothorn, Forretress and against Pokemon with relatively low defense.

- King's Shield with Substitute is a great combo when including in Stall, lowering the opponents Attack two stages. After Substitute and Toxic, it is easy to rack up damage with the combination of moves.

- Toxic helps against defensive Pokemon that this set usually can't hit such as Mandibuzz, Tyranitar etc. It can cripple those Pokemon and shorten their life span.

- Substitute allows me to lengthen the life span of Aegislash. With the right predictions, some physical attackers will have trouble breaking the substitute and doing significant damage afterwards due to King's Shield and dropping the attack -2.

Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
Nature: Impish (+Def, -SAtk)
- Foul Play - Taunt - Defog - Roost

Set Explanation:

- Foul Play allows Mandibuzz to hits Physical Sweepers that tries to set up on her and also hit things that may have a +1 after she had taken the hit.
(Example: +1 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Outrage vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Mandibuzz: 300-354 (70.9 - 83.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery--+1 0 Atk Mandibuzz Foul Play vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard X: 234-276 (78.5 - 92.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO)

- Taunt allows Manidbuzz to break opposing stall teams such as Skarmory (Prevent Hazards, Roost, and Defog) Quagsire (Prevents Toxic, Recover) etc.

Defog (Do I really have to explain?)

Roost is Mandibuzz source of healing just in case it loses it's Leftovers from current Knock Off spam.

Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SDef
Nature: Careful (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Sleep Talk - Rest - Dragon Tail - Waterfall

Set Explanation:

- Rest + Sleep Talk allows Gyarados to have recovery outside of Leftovers and gives it a longer life span. Also, in combination with Sleep Talk, I can shift Pokemon by force with Dragon Tail while having a good amount of HP. Also can Dragon Tail Pokemon that I am faster than due to Sleep Talk using Dragon Tail doesn't have the negative priority.

- Dragon Tail is used for shift Pokemon as said earlier. It can help with some common switch-ins such as Rotom-Anything. Also can help me against Pokemon that has set up, but takes time to defeat Gyarados and I can get them out of the way and they lose their stat boost.

- Waterfall Do I really have to explain? It's the main STAB move!

Ability: Blaze / Tough Claws
EVs: 248 HP / 204 SDef / 56 Spd
Nature: Careful (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Will-O-Wisp - Dragon Claw - Roost - Earthquake

Set Explanation:

- Will-O-Wisp helps with residual damage adding on top of the DClaw / EQ damage I'm doing. It also cripples physical attackers which helps Quagsire a lot if they try to boost their attack w. Swords Dance, Dragon Dance, etc.

- Dragon Claw serves as the main STAB against Dragons that may switch in after they find out I have Will-O-Wisp and expect me to Roost off the damage that has been done. Dragon Claw also hits anything hard.

- Roost is the only source of healing and helps me heal off the SR damage if I hadn't gotten the chance to Defog or Mandibuzz can't at all.

- Earthquake hits Heatran otherwise, I would be completely walled by it.

Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 SDef
Nature: Bold (+Def, -Atk)
- Seismic Toss - Heal Bell - Softboiled - Wish

Set Explanation:

- Seismic Toss is Chansey's source of dealing damage. Nothing really to explain here.

- Heal Bell is important because if any of my Pokemon ever gets Paralyzed, put asleep, frozen or poisoned, Chansey comes to the rescue and not making the Pokemon useless.

- Softboiled allows Chansey to heal right away if it cannot take two turns of damage until Wish activates.

- Wish is probably the most important move on this set. It helps every single Pokemon on this team, if they are near dead / fainted, with right prediction, Chansey can Wish and pass off the 354 HP wish.

Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Def

Nature: Bold (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald - Toxic - Recover - Haze

Set Explanation:

- Scald is useful for it's burn chance which cripples physical attackers such as Terrakion, Garchomp, Dragonite etc.

- Toxic helps with stacking residual damage on things that wouldn't mind a burn such as Chansey, Mandibuzz, opposing Quagsire, etc.

Recover (Do I have to Explain?)

- Haze + Unaware which is great for Baton Pass teams and also to prevent any set-up sweeper from setting up and destroying my team.

Importable:
Fingers :] (Aegislash) @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SAtk / 16 Spd
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- King's Shield
- Toxic
- Substitute

Dread (Mandibuzz) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 Def / 248 HP / 8 SDef
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Taunt
- Defog
- Roost

Toxzn (Amoonguss) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 236 HP / 236 SDef / 36 Def
Calm Nature
- Clear Smog
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Foul Play

King Derp (Quagsire) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Haze
- Toxic
- Recover

Capteon (Charizard) @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 248 HP / 204 SDef / 56 Spd
Careful Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp
- Earthquake

Nog (Chansey) (F) @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 16 SDef / 240 Def
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Wish
- Heal Bell
- Soft-Boiled

Please do not take this team and call it your own. I made this team and I was kind enough to share. Give me credit!!!

Last edited:
Life Orb Terrakion literally 2HKOs my whole team. The coverage in Fighting / Rock is too brutal. My best chance against it is Quagsire.

Mega Mawile is another pain in the ass. Any set it runs it can break through regardless.

Life Orb (of course) Mixed Landorus-I could give me problems running the attacks Earth Power Knock Off Superpower and Psychic. Mandibuzz stands a chance but without her, it's gg.

Last edited:
Seems pretty good Terrak. I only see a few things that could be issues.

Mixed Lando I, the wallbreaking set, could really spell doom for your team if Mandibuzz is gone. The good thing is that Mandi can stop it, but everything else loses to Earth Power, Psychic, Knock Off, and/or Superpower. Now, you don't see the set too often, but if you did, then you could very easily find yourself in trouble.

Also, Life Orb Terrakion, ironically enough, 2HKO's the whole team at the very least. The only thing that could possibly not be by LO Terrak is a phys def Aegis set, but even then, its a 20% chance.

252 Atk Life Orb Terrakion Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Aegislash-Shield: 153-182 (47.2 - 56.1%) -- 21.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Also, did you try Rocky Helmet on the Mandibuzz? It should allow you to beat +1 Charizard X better. As shown by that calc, you just miss the kill if rocks are down, but Rocky Helm should allow you to have a better chance against it. It would also help you against other physical attackers and all that. Like you said, essentially, its not the end of the world if your Mandi loses its Leftovers. I'd personally give it a try.

And why wasn't I named a mon? I mean, Cap hasn't really been on in a while, and you probably knew that Zard is my favorite mon. Anyways, it looks very good and reliable. Nice job, Terrak.

Seems pretty good Terrak. I only see a few things that could be issues.

Mixed Lando I, the wallbreaking set, could really spell doom for your team if Mandibuzz is gone. The good thing is that Mandi can stop it, but everything else loses to Earth Power, Psychic, Knock Off, and/or Superpower. Now, you don't see the set too often, but if you did, then you could very easily find yourself in trouble.

Also, Life Orb Terrakion, ironically enough, 2HKO's the whole team at the very least. The only thing that could possibly not be by LO Terrak is a phys def Aegis set, but even then, its a 20% chance.

252 Atk Life Orb Terrakion Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Aegislash-Shield: 153-182 (47.2 - 56.1%) -- 21.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Also, did you try Rocky Helmet on the Mandibuzz? It should allow you to beat +1 Charizard X better. As shown by that calc, you just miss the kill if rocks are down, but Rocky Helm should allow you to have a better chance against it. It would also help you against other physical attackers and all that. Like you said, essentially, its not the end of the world if your Mandi loses its Leftovers. I'd personally give it a try.

And why wasn't I named a mon? I mean, Cap hasn't really been on in a while, and you probably knew that Zard is my favorite mon. Anyways, it looks very good and reliable. Nice job, Terrak.
On Mandibuzz, originally I had Rocky Helmet but I wasn't able to get Roost off as often as I would KO'd just enough because of the no Leftovers recovery.
And I'm making the threat list now, so thanks Klefki for the adds :D

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
One mon i can see wrecking this team really hard is mega tyranitar. Once quaggy is gone, it gets a DD easily up on Mandibuzz or Chansey and proceeds to basically 2hko/ohko entire team.

Honestly, same with mega gyarados, though quagsire needs to be weakened even less to easily sweep :/

These guys are two of the most popular megas in the tier, and we gotta find ourselves a solid switch-in to both.
Thus, i'd recommend putting a Chesnaught somewhere.
I was thinking swapping out amoong and aegislash for Chesnaught and a pokemon that handles Keldeo that isn't also grass, maybe a sp. def gyarados or a sp. def dnite can suffice.

Another issue with this team is that it's WAY too weak to fly-spam. Your only flying resistance on the team is aegislash itself!
I realize my changes are opening you up to fly-spam even more, but atleast it's relatively rare. Either way, we need an answer to that :P
Perhaps skarm fits in somewhere? idk, i'd be totally changing this team and making it my own at this point.

Well, at the very least, I pointed out some threats. Hope I helped!

One mon i can see wrecking this team really hard is mega tyranitar. Once quaggy is gone, it gets a DD easily up on Mandibuzz or Chansey and proceeds to basically 2hko/ohko entire team.

Honestly, same with mega gyarados, though quagsire needs to be weakened even less to easily sweep :/

These guys are two of the most popular megas in the tier, and we gotta find ourselves a solid switch-in to both.
Thus, i'd recommend putting a Chesnaught somewhere.
I was thinking swapping out amoong and aegislash for Chesnaught and a pokemon that handles Keldeo that isn't also grass, maybe a sp. def gyarados or a sp. def dnite can suffice.

Another issue with this team is that it's WAY too weak to fly-spam. Your only flying resistance on the team is aegislash itself!
I realize my changes are opening you up to fly-spam even more, but atleast it's relatively rare. Either way, we need an answer to that :P
Perhaps skarm fits in somewhere? idk, i'd be totally changing this team and making it my own at this point.

Well, at the very least, I pointed out some threats. Hope I helped!
Srn :D Anyways thanks for the reply. Funny thing is, I had Skarmory before Amoonguss but I was to Keldeo weak. Adding Chesnaught seems good, but it doesn't counter Keldeo as well since it is x4 to Flying and Amoonguss is only x2, on top of that, not having the SDef Amoonguss doesn't. I don't know how SDef Gyarados does against Keldeo but I'd be happy to try if you got a set. I'll try SDef Gyarados in place of Amoonguss. How's that sound?

Srn :D Anyways thanks for the reply. Funny thing is, I had Skarmory before Amoonguss but I was to Keldeo weak. Adding Chesnaught seems good, but it doesn't counter Keldeo as well since it is x4 to Flying and Amoonguss is only x2, on top of that, not having the SDef Amoonguss doesn't. I don't know how SDef Gyarados does against Keldeo but I'd be happy to try if you got a set. I'll try SDef Gyarados in place of Amoonguss. How's that sound?
Chesnaught? How about Breloom. I've been running this set for a while and its works really well. Plus Aegislash covers the ghost immunity.

Breloom @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Spe / 240 HP / 16 Atk
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Power Up Punch
- Mach Punch / Spore
- Drain Punch

So Ghost types are completely immune to this set? Just Spore, switch into Aegislash, and Shadow Ball away. Once your hidden behind a Sub and your opponent is asleep, Power Up Punch away and boost your attack. Drain Punch is for that recovery that this set needs.

Last edited:

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
So, Chesnaught over aegis and Sp. def gyara over amoong, is that right?
I think that sounds a lot better, despite being more fly spam weak :/
Oh, and I do indeed have a decent set for Sp. Def gyarados
Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 SDef / 248 HP / 8 Def
Careful Nature
- Waterfall
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Roar / Dragon Tail

Also note that sp. def gyarados does fantastically against lando-i, which is always good. The team is actually sorta weak to CM lando otherwise.

Seems like a niiice team. Downside is it gets completely obliterated by Tornadus T.

You might want to look into that, brah.

On Aegislash you can run 240 HP 20 Def (take it out of speed and 4 from SpA):

• 252+ Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 240 HP / 20 Def Aegislash-Shield: 270-320 (84.1 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 252+ Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 240 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 272-324 (84.7 - 100.9%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
Most Ttar run a bit of speed to ensure that Aegi doesn't creep it but the Spe could be nice to hit other Aegi for min 69% with Shadow Ball to KO weakened Aegi. Up to you.

Also a little bit of speed on Mandibuzz is useful against other base 80s like Mega Venu since you run Taunt. 20 Speed outruns 40 speed Heatran so it can't Toxic/SR on Mandi.

Jacks0n

formerly grassycow
You wanted a rate lol so here it is. Yeh what raik said, Torn t is a huge pain in youre arse. I know you like wish passing, but if stealth rock is really needed you could always have this chansey set -

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SDef
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Seismic Toss
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave

Last edited:
Firstly if I use that Chansey set, not only am I giving up the Wish Passing which I need, I won't have Heal Bell in case something gets burned or toxic'd. Heal Bell is a must for the sake of the support for the rest of the team. What I was thinking of doing is just risking Chansey and making it become Taunt bait and just give it Stealth Rock over Seismic Toss to see how it does without dealing damage. And responding to daft, I'll change up those EVs right now. I didn't know Aegislash can take a EQ :P Bulky af

Terra I gave you crap EVs earlier. You only need 12 Def on Aegi:

252+ Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 240 HP / 12 Def Aegislash-Shield: 270-320 (84.1 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)