Pending Teambuilder Tier Selection Search Bar & Fixing the Tier List

LBN

is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
UPL Champion
Since (iirc) roughly the beginning of the generation, the tier selection for a teambuilder has been wildly inconvenient at best and unusable/unintuitive for new players at worst. With a computer screen of dimensions 1882 x 1036, far larger than your average laptop for instance, fails to come close to covering every part of the tier list in the builder as seen here.

021954a8d3ec2f5ad6d0a8e7b16e4045.png

7f285e09906f112eb22a5528a4a7f907.png

Suffice to say this is ugly and lacks any form of cohesion, with the random globs of dead space. I understand it was a low priority when the generation came out, coding in proper mechanics, maintenance, the sprite project, and doing hotfixing on elements like Photosynthesis's took center focus. Now, the dust is mostly settled and exams should be gone for any staff who has it, so I think it's as good a time as any to fix it.

How to fix it? Well, a start would be a search bar, similar to the builder where you can search a Pokémon's name, allow this for tiers inside the builder as well and this can save a lot of hassle, and is generally the easier of these to implement I imagine. As for compacting the images above, Collapsible columns for each generation would future proof so this issue doesn't re-arise in the future, similar to the hide feature on the forums in practice. (It's also worth noting some metagames simply are not present entirely and require a fairly roundabout method to properly categorize, such as SS National Dex Monotype and older gen NFEs which just isn't ideal, so their reintroduction would be appreciated)

Okay, this suggestion seemed too good to keep in my mind, so I'll post it because I thought it was relevant.

I think it would really be wonderful if we could hide the ladders that we are not interested in playing when we click to select a format and only leave the ones we want (obviously, this would be something individual that would not be hidden from other players, it is something personalized. If others players want to hide something, they would have to select which formats they want to hide).

Or at least, a similar suggestion, is that we can set 3 to 5 favorite formats so that they are at the top to facilitate the transition between them.

If I'm a player who only plays [Gen 9] Random Battle and [Gen 9] VGC 2023 Regulation E (Bo3) on my account, it would be nice for me to have a way to prioritize that, either by hiding formats I don't want, or by at least, if you don't want to hide anything, another option is allow people to pin their favorite formats at the top to make searching easier for them, both on PC and on cell phone (which would help even more). Both options would help the user experience in terms of visual organization.

--------

In addition, in the case of having, for example, 3 ladders fixed by the user, having an external option that automatically switches between the 3 without having to open all the ladders, seems to greatly optimize the user experience.

--------

On chess.com for example, it allows you to set 3 formats that you want to play (you can see it in the "pin" section):

------------

Another similar thing is to leave 3 pinned to favorites and be able to hide the rest, and if you want, expand everything, like chess.com does (if you want to play another rhythm, you need to click "More Time Controls").

------------

Anyway, the suggestion(s) can be better adapted to whatever the developers see fit, but in any case, I wanted to leave it here for you to think about.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)