Team Twilight Sucks - An OU RMT

Hello there Smogonites,

It was a while ago I played OU, but just today I was challenged by a few friends from another forum for an OU tourny. I won the tourny with this team, losing only one battle against a very good Baton Pass team. I faced that guy once later in the tourny too, but I beat him in the rematch. We had a second rematch after the tourny and I beat him in that battle too, so this team is pretty good, in my opinion.

Anyway, here we go. Team at Glance:

Team in depth: (Please excuse me for not getting more fancy pictures)

Jirachi
@Leftovers
252Spe/252Spa/6Hp
Timid

- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt

Originally I used a ScarfRachi with Trick instead of Stealth Rock, but I figured that my team benefits more from Stealth Rocks than they do of a choiced wall/tank/whatever. Thunder Wave spreads status and helps me counter Pokémon I normally wouldn't have been able to counter. Psychic is for a powerful STAB and Thunderbolt is for coverage and general awesomeness.

I have been considering running a physical Jirachi instead to drive the opponent crazy with Thunder Wave + Flinch JiraToge combo, but I can't figure out a good move to go with Iron Head. Also, Jirachi with Thunder Wave + 2 attack moves lack reliable recovery, though I suppose Wish + Flinch could do, but one of Togekiss best traits is its ability to Roost and lose its weakness to Electric, Rock and Ice attacks, wich is extremely helpful when facing a slower/paralyzed opponent.

Togekiss - Serene Grace
@Leftovers
252Hp/252SpD/6Def
Calm

- Thunder Wave
- Air Slash
- Aura Sphere
- Roost

A standard FlinchToge. This is, by far, my favorite Pokémon and best sweeper/tank. He is on pretty much all my teams and have done very well on all of them, as a standalone sweepers who doesn't need much support. However, just because it doesn't need support it doesn't mean it doesn't appreciate it, and thats where Flygon comes in the picture, being resistant to Rock and immune to Electric. The only downside of this is that they share an iceweakness, but most Ice attacks are easy to predict, so if I predict an Ice attack I send in Jirachi to take it.

Thunder Wave + Air Slash is to drive the opponent crazy and prevent him from attacking. Roost is for healing and Aura Sphere is for coverage, and I also use it to finnish of weak Pokémon thanks to its perfect accuracy.

Flygon
@Choice Scarf
252Atk/252Spe/6Hp
Jolly

- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-Turn

A standard Revengekilling Flygon. It surprises me how easy I have had to counter Flygons while facing them, but other seems to have extreme problems with facing mine. That's probably because most people doesn't know how to use it properly, but bring him in on just about anything at any point in the match, making him easy to outpredict and counter.

Outrage is for a powerful STAB and is also my only way to counter other Dragontypes. Earthquake for strong seconday STAB, Stone Edge for coverage and U-Turn for scouting.

Gyarados
@Leftovers
252Atk/252Spe/6Hp
Jolly

- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Taunt

This is basically a bulky Gyarados, but with a twist - it's not bulky. The plan is to switch in on anything it can force to switch and Dragon Dance. If it sends out something to status me I taunt, if it sends out something to kill me I kill them first, or if they outspeed I switch to either Jolteon or Flygon.
This guy is a total beast and one of the top-tier Pokémon, and that for a reason.

Dragon Dance is to boost Gyarados attack and speed. Waterfal for a powerful STAB, Stone Edge for coverage. Taunt to protect from status and other statboosters.

Jolteon
@Life Orb
252Spa/252Spe/6Hp
Timid

- Charge Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- HP Grass

Jolteon is an awesome Pokémon. Switch in on anything you can force to switch and use Charge Beam and hope for a SpA raise. After a raise, proceed to sweep. Simple as that.

Charge Beam to raise SpA, Thunderbolt for a stronger STAB, the rest for coverage.

Gengar
@Leftovers
252Spa/252Spe/6Hp
Timid

- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast

Gengar is another very good sweeper. Behind a substitute, proceed to comitt evil deeds and kill other Pokémon. Shadow Ball for a good STAB, Thunderbolt and Focus Blash for coverage.

Please excuse me for short descriptions on the last Pokémon, Im in a hurry and will update later.

Thanks,
Strik3

Hey man! I first wanna say Yay for Jirachi. Favorite pokemon in the world.

Heres my Advice

Jirachi: Love it. I was going to reccomend a trick, but you're right in that the supporrt would be more loved. If you're looking for a sillier build I run Wish/Subsitute/Iron Head/Zen Headbutt or Tpunch Flinch hacking from behind walls is mean. It also lets you replace Togekiss for something else should you want to. (not to say it needs to be replaced)

Togekiss: Flinch hax is my favorite thing in the world, its just so much fun seeing X used iron head. Y flinched. Add Twave, and you have a bitch. However, you also have Twave on Jirachi, consider replacing with Nasty Plot? I get that its supposed to be a stand alone sweep, and Twave helps with that, but i dont think there's anything more annoying than losing 50+% life and flinching? Just a thought, may not be very good.

Flygon: Only comment is try Dragon Claw over Outrage, see if you like it more. Its weaker but allows you to not be locked, and I'm prtty sure it still nets you OHKO's on Mence after stones.

Gyrados + Jolteon: the New Gyaravire. No comment here. Between the 2 of them they cover eachother perfectly.

Gengar: I hate focus Blast. I think its a terrible move. It's only use is to OHKO TTar - which is good, but the low accuracy doesnt make up for it. Its essentially having a 30% chance to let TTar roll over you, and a 70% chance to take him out, and now have a useless moveslot >.> Maybe I'm just stubborn. I suggest trying Pain split over it. Between it and Substitute you can kill most bulky poke's with easy. Including blissy. Shadow Ball/T-bolt/Sub/Pain Split Is my gengar build. You can also run Life Orb over Left overs to further your damage, and increase the siphon from Split - though watch for sandstorm, as it does damage through the substitute. Another thing to remember is that GEngar is squishy, and so are his subs. Dont be stupid when setting them up.

All in all, you covered your bases. I see no one pokemon that can easily roll this team, with the exception of Mence if your Flygon get killed. Stall teams may prove to be an issue. I'm seeing standstorm + TormentTran being a huge thorn in this team. (you're only cover (EQ) can be tormented into struggling and protect on the odd turns.

Lastly, I'd like to say you spelled Blast "Blash". I thought it was funny.
Shadow Ball for a good STAB, Thunderbolt and Focus Blash for coverage.

Nothing resists dragon on your team (bar leadrachi). It's not a necessity but Salamence is going to hit you. HARD. You'll almost be required to sac something if it gets a Dragon Dance up. Then it's outrage will proceed to dent your entire team. I can't honestly give you any advice in pokemon choices against Salamence because it's almost impossible to have a pure anti-salamance pokemon without it itself being threatened by it.

Jolteon is probably your weakest link. Scarf Jolteon I know sounds like a terrible idea but it's essentially a band-aid for your Salamance weakness. Give it HP Ice and watch the sparks (err.. ice) fly.

I know that the above idea is only the tip of the iceburg but like I said, it's simply a substitute until you find the right pokemon for the job.

Thanks for your suggestion,

So far I haven't really had any problems with any Salamence, cause usually I just send in either Togekiss or Jirachi and paralyze him. The only problem would be if he went Earthquake (Jirachi) or Stone Edge (Togekiss). Draco Meteor may also cause problems for Toge, haven't tried yet. Also, if both are dead I can send out Jolteon, then on the switch send out Flygon to make sure Flygon doesn't get slammed in the face with Outrage/Draco Meteor and OHKO with an Outrage of it's own.

I just think you need another Ice resist besides Jirachi. He is your lead in fact and you may need to sacrifice him at some points to get SR up, so you lose your Ice resist right away. The thing is most of your team's existing members seem like key elements, so I'm not sure what you could take off. Maybe Gengar since he doesn't really provide any key resistances for your team. Instead of Gengar though, I suppose you could use something like Sub Heatran since he plays a similar role but provides better resistances.

I'm iffy about charge beam on Jolteon simply because it does not fare well with choiced items. A switch in can easily ruin it. (i tried choice specs ChargeBeam Uxie with little luck. most of the time, my opponent will switch to a counter like rotom, then Uxie's +1 SpA is gone just like that)

Change Jirachi to a physical lead with the following moveset. It also helps against ground type dudes.
- Stealth Rock
- Wish
- Zen Headbutt
- Body Slam
When you have such a great ability like Serene Grace make sure to abuse it.
Try a CB Scizor or an Agility SubPetaya Empoleon over Gengar. Scizor helps against Ice Attack and for revenge killing Salamence. Mamoswine will also give you a hard time. Scizor is good in that situation as well. Empoleon can set up on Outraging Salamence but it doesn't always work... But Salamence won't come in the beginning of the game so you should have a chance to check your opponent's team for Pokemon such as Vaporeon and Blissey. Scizor seems like a better option. Jolteon can also be replaced. Keep Gengar if you want and give it Explosion in one slot. Oh yeah Scizor also helps against DD T-Tar if you even run into one. If you really want to use Jolteon + Gyarados combo then replace Gengar. Jolteon also helps against Swampert with HP Grass. Swampert is another option over Gengar to counter Salamence, Tyranitar and Heatran with Torment.

Change Jirachi to a physical lead with the following moveset. It also helps against ground type dudes.
- Stealth Rock
- Wish
- Zen Headbutt
- Body Slam
When you have such a great ability like Serene Grace make sure to abuse it.
I agree but why zen headbutt over IRon head, 40% vs 60% flinch. And both are STAB, and I'm pretty sure Iron Head does more damage base. (double check me on that, I'm going off memory). I also fail to see how this helps against Ground types, but what ever. You can also replace Bodyslam with Twave or Fire punch for paraflinching and Twaves respectivley. (Twave is more reliable Paraflinching than Bodyslam, but slam does damage so, up to you. If you run Ironhead Body slam, you have a 60% to paralyze and a 60% chance to flinch

I edited to have that Jirachiset but with Iron Head instead of Zen Headbutt and Wish instead of Thunder Wave. I also changed Gengar to a CB Scizor, and battled twice. They are the only 2 battles I have lost on the ladder with this team. Also, Fire Punch is the only Firemove I have.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)